Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

nutranurse posted:

edit: Which reminds me, do we have any non-noble POVs in ASOIAF?

Jon Snow, technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jean de Niege is of noble birth and, arguably, of upbringing. He may not have the name, but he grew up in a noble household as a part of the family.

He technically doesn't have any sort of title due to being in the Night's Watch, I think. He absolutely is noble in terms of his life experiences.

EDIT: Samwell also was nobility, but has POV chapters after formally renouncing it. Duncan the Tall is only a knight, which means he may not be nobility although his POV chapters are outside of ASOIAF.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 16, 2013

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

Ahem, it's a graphic novel :smug:

Making it more of a book than Winds of Winter ever will be.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Now I really want to know what GRRM drives. Other than the windowless white panel van. I mean what's his normal car for the non-abduction errands.

According to this article from a year ago, he didn't have a car at the time but was looking into buying a Mercedes Benz. I guess he just uses taxis so he can strike up uncomfortable conversations with the drivers.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Ryan Gosling as Quentyn Martell.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Anna Gunn as... whichever woman the TV crowd decides to hate at any given moment. The recursive loops of calling her a oval office will cycle faster and faster, powering the eastern seaboard for years.

That would be zombie Cat.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

geeves posted:

Especially Euron who randomly kills Pyat Pree and feeds him to the other Warlocks from Qarth.

Well, he either killed Pyat Pree or force-fed another Warlock to Pyat Pree - it's never established that Pyat Pree was the one Euron killed.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

So he was like on a ten-year mission to become a sword guy in order to train Arya, literally started doing the background work for the role before she was born?

syrio wasn't a faceless man, but of course a faceless man would go into ten years of deep cover in order to teach introductory swordplay and braavosi theology to some lord's daughter. that's what separates the faceless men from the random goon that joffrey hired to kill bran: the faceless men will go to insane extents to get the job done

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Do we know for sure that Bloodraven is the Three Eyed Crow/Raven? It makes sense (a thousand eyes and one) but is it every laid out?

When Bran and Hodor and the reeds get to the cave, the tree-man says that he used to be named Brynden. He also describes his brothers and ex-lover in a way that maps perfectly onto Bloodraven's life. So it's still all circumstantial, but extremely strong.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Is this in the book or show? I just watched the show and don't remember this, but it's also been a few years since reading the books so I can't remember that either. I'm guessing the books. If Bloodraven is the 3 eyed crow that'd be super dope! I hope The Adventures of Dunkegg Chapter Four goes into this some.

This is in the books. Bloodraven being the Three Eyed Crow seems obvious enough that the twist would be if that weren't the case, like when people say that Jon is actually not Rhaegar and Lyanna's kid.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Katt posted:

Why is he popular? What has he ever done?

He went to the nights watch as a child and was't heard from for like 15 years and then he returned (bet no one ever asked themselves what happened to Neds bastard) to attack the Boltons, failed and got saved by Sansa.

The first time they proclaimed him "king in the north" it made no sense without breaking the fourth wall and declaring him a major protagonist.

On top of everything chaosapiant noted, Jon is Ned Stark's boy (or at least a Stark's boy) and that goes for a lot.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

TIL that George visited the Paris catacombs in 2015. He wanted to give an interview there and share some of his historical knowledge with fans and journalists. Most of the catacombs are closed to the public and it's illegal to wander there so a reputed guide led the group down one of the illegal passageways. Only problem is that GRRM could not use the planned entrance because he was too fat to fit through. They ended up negotiating with the police to open a staircase that's normally barred from public access to let him in. He had to carry a red cushion with him all the way through.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20vxk3

boycotting TWOW unless there's a scene where wyman manderly can't fit through the winterfell crypts

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

genericnick posted:

I could have sworn that it was only used for the zombies.

You're thinking of the Wights. All the wights are zombies and all the zombies are wights; the White Walkers/Others are the seemingly non-human blue/white people who make and control the wights

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

I get that a script is not a novel, but the prose seems really bad.

the script also refers to jon snow as a "diminutive man" when kit harrington is 5'8", a normal height that is not short

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Everyone knows that Jon/Kit's on the shorter side, what's the point of adding that.

5'8" is an average and respectable height, "on the shorter side" starts at 5'7.5" :colbert:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Moqorro didn't speak up about it, and he seems to have a pretty good handle on the will of R'hllor.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kylaer posted:

I only read DwD once so maybe I'm forgetting, but I don't remember him dedicating the sacrifice to any of the gods at all. He just performed it, who accepted it didn't matter.

He definitely has both gods in mind.

quote:

He kissed them each upon the cheeks and told them of the honor that awaited them, though they did not understand his words. Then he had them put aboard the fishing ketch that they had captured, cut her loose, and had her set afire.

“With this gift of innocence and beauty, we honor both the gods,” he proclaimed, as the warships of the Iron Fleet rowed past the burning ketch. “Let these girls be reborn in light, undefiled by mortal lust, or let them descend to the Drowned God’s watery halls, to feast and dance and laugh until the seas dry up.”"

It's actually interesting how none of Victarion's crew, who you'd imagine to be a bunch of staunch Drowned God believers, give a poo poo about his syncreticism. Obviously they don't like Moqorro, but Victarion's worship of R'hllor isn't treated like a slight to the drowned god.

Melisandre definitely believes that you have to choose a god and stick with Him, but she's basically the only character who you might call a fundamentalist. We don't really hear about societies killing each other over religion. In Essos pretty much every religion exists side-by-side, and in Westeros there are R'hllor, Old God, Seven, Drowned God, and Rhoyne worshippers all hanging out and interbreeding without scandal. This seems like the logical conclusion of a world where magic/religion is real - even if you don't worship a god, you can't deny their powers, so you might think of a god as "wrong" (a line westerosi characters use against both the seven and the old gods) but it's not offensive to acknowledge other gods as real and potentially powerful because they probably are

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

Jon only threatens the baby so Gilly would give him up, he wouldn't have actually done anything. Half the reason he gets stabbed is because he (stupidly) keeps going out his way to protect randoms cause he's basically Ned and all Starks are dumb

Wait thinking about it maybe it's like the Simpsons and only the male starks are idiots

Lyanna was seemingly like Jon (makes sense) - a good person but someone who's kinda dumb and acts before thinking. If she'd bothered to send a raven to someone explaining that she and Rhaegar were hooking up consensually, a shitton of people would still be alive

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

quote:

It seems like religions with actual magic would out-compete those without.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and honestly I can imagine it the other way around.The faith of the seven is totally based around assigning and validating people's places in society and codifying their mutual obligations and hierarchies - it kind of looks like Christianity with the seven-gods-who-are-one thing, but it's also like Confucianism in its focus on modeling and organizing family and society. Meanwhile, a society where too many people have access to magic is like a society where too many people have access to guns, or nukes, or dragons. It's dangerous and unstable. Imagine Westeros if every lord had a red priest as powerful as Melisandre - they'd all be dead. I think this is why Aegon I chose to endorse and join the faith of the seven even though he had to know that there were religions with genuine magic power.

Also, the magic/non-magic religion gap is much more pronounced in the books than in the history just before the books, because magic is coming back.

Also also - you don't need a magical religion to work magic; the westerosi still have magic. Wildfire is magic, and dragons are magic. They just keep it separate from religion, which is why the ruling house (Targeryan/Baratheon) is able to completely monopolize it.

quote:

The Starks are stupid: The first book reads kind of like a comedy of errors as the Yorkists stumble around inciting a war, How has a dynasty this politically inept survived for thousands of years? Maybe Ned is an outlier. And Catelyn. And Robb.

I think this is a bit harsh. The Starks aren't dumb, they're just completely unprepared for Southron politics. In books 4 and 5 we see that, up in the North, Ned was actually a pretty good lord - everyone loved him enough that a shitton of people (the Manderlys, the mountain clans, the skagosi, the reeds) are risking everything to avenge his death and put the Starks back in power. But he's used to northern politics - he doesn't know how things are done down south, and he doesn't know the people. His sense of politics is that the #1 goal is maintaining continuity and never giving anyone reason to doubt your trustworthiness, constantly reaffirming that the Starks have your back. Jon explains all this to Stannis, who's much more used to southern politics - which shows that Ned cared enough about his job that Jon Snow picked up on it and got some sense of how to do it.

In the south Ned has to start from scratch, and he knows that if he acts dishonorably or even unpredictably, he's not only risking his life but also imperiling the millennia-old Stark brand, which is that you can always count on them to do the right thing, and the things they say they'll do. That's an asset in the north and a liability in the south, where the Stark name is worthless.

And if we look at how that turned out - yes, obviously things could have gone better. But the Lannister, Frey, Bolton, and Baelish names have stains that might never wash out and the Baratheons have been evicted from Dragonstone and the Stormlands without anyone really giving a poo poo, while people are fighting to put Starks back in Winterfell. Who's the real idiot?

quote:

Iron islands make no sense: They are tiny islands of reavers who have a massive gently caress-off fleet and preyed on an entire continent. Why did nobody ever just put them to the sword and install a cousin as lord of the iron isles? Maybe this happened and it's just not covered in the books.

First off, the iron islands only just started reaving Westeros again. The Targs outlawed it, so for the past 300 years they've been reaving Essos. Not great for Westerosi-Essosi trade and diplomacy, but it's not nearly as bad as if they were still trying to make the Lannisters into salt wives.

But still - it IS weird to allow them to have a completely distinct way of life. This is kind-of addressed in the history of the Targs spinoff book - some Greyjoy lord paramount put down a rebellion, and the Targ on the Iron Throne asked what he could do as repayment. The Greyjoy asked that the Targ remove all the septons from the iron islands. So basically they're allowed to stay viking because the Targs saw that one day the Iron Throne might need some vikings for war/assassinating people with plausible deniability.

Also, the Iron Islands suck. You can't grow crops or wood. So there's not much reason to send a bunch of troops and boats to totally pacify them. You have to permanently subsidize their economy and deal with constant revolts, and you wouldn't get anything out of it unless there's an iron shortage - and they'll be producing less iron than ever before because you killed a lot of them and presumably freed the thralls.

And keep in mind, the Iron Islands have a disproportionately large and competent military and fleet. Yes, you can put them down like with Balon's rebellion, but a lot of westerosi troops would get killed and a ton of westerosi ships would get burned before they made shore.Then, if you really want to turn them into "normal" westerosi people, you have to occupy them for a generation or two so that they don't just keep doing the old way. You can't do that with a reserve army.

There is a spot of hope here: Baelor Blacktyde, lord of Blacktyde, got captured in the Greyjoy Rebellion as a kid, and made a hostage in Oldtown. When he came back to the Iron Islands, he was a genuine follower of the Seven. I guess you could try to kidnap everyone of influence in the Iron Islands and their families, kill the adults, raise as many kids as possible to be normal seven-worshippers, and then release them back and hope that they keep up the good habits. But they kinda tried that with Theon and it was a complete disaster because he predictably chose his actual family, and the islands he's going to inherit, over a bunch of dudes who kidnapped him and killed his brothers.

So basically, the iron islands are a problem without a good solution, and a worthless shithole full of assholes, and unless they're raiding you or you want them to raid someone else, there's nothing worth doing about them. I imagine that everyone just liked to think about them as little as possible, which was pretty feasible under the Pax Targeryan.

quote:

How do you catch a magic faceless man: How did Jaqen Hagar the faceless man get caught anyway?

He probably tried to get captured so he could get to the wall. But that just opens up the question of what business he had at the wall, and why he didn't get back to it after leaving Harrenhall. That at least makes more sense than a faceless man getting caught by the gold cloaks.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

lyanna cannot consent to being married dude. she's a woman in feudalism. she was a piece of very valuable property stolen

Sure, the starks would still be pissed, but not "the-prince-is-raping-my-daughter/sister" levels of pissed. Lyanna being Rhaegar's consort robs Lord Rickard of a potential alliance with Bobby Baratheon, but noble women have been consorts to the king/prince for a long time. There's precedent that you don't go nuts over it, you just call your daughter an rear end in a top hat and move on. Or you change plans to exploit your daughter's closeness to the king. It's a huge headache, like the headache Tywin had when Jaime joined the Kingsguard - but he didn't go to war over that. He went to war right away when Tyrion was arrested, because there's a difference between "you allowed my kid to gently caress up my political plans" and "you're holding my kid prisoner and may well rape/kill them," especially when it comes to convincing your vassals to lend you soldiers. Going to war to save your liege's child from abduction and rape is an obvious choice, but what about going to war against the king over a single broken betrothal? none of Aegon IV's mistresses had a war launched to preserve their maidenhead. Maybe you'll still take part, but not nearly as enthusiastically.

Brandon and Rickard got executed because they ran into the red keep and demanded that Rhaegar "come out and die." They went from 0 to Treason immediately without any planning or hesitation. That makes a lot of sense if you think Rhaegar is literally keeping your daughter/sister hostage right now, but it's a less intuitive reaction to hearing that Rhaegar and Lyanna have started a politically inconvenient affair.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 13, 2019

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
honestly it's pretty good for the Stark brand that everyone thinks Rhaegar literally kidnapped Lyanna. If Lyanna actually decided "screw Robert, I'm getting with Rhaegar," then the Starks are pretty clearly the bad guys of Robert's Rebellion - they make a marriage pact that they don't honor, try to kill the heir to the throne over a misunderstanding, and then go to war when the king naturally responds by having the traitors executed. Obviously Aerys was crazy and he should've executed them in a less crazy way, but once you've run into the royal palace screaming about how you're going to kill the prince, it has to be an automatic death penalty. Ned was lucky that Aerys didn't try taking his lands, considering how insanely the Starks acted.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, Brienne v. Biter is at the Inn at the Crossroads. Brienne avenges Dick by killing Shagwell without industry.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not even gonna dignify it with a link but some nerd on twitter emailed HBO to ask how much it would cost to license GOT so he can make his Season 7/8 VERY GOOD REWRITE FANFIC into an animated series and they emailed back and said 2.5 million dollars lol

That's horrifyingly affordable. Rich people spend that kind of money on baseball cards.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

Seinfeld got $100 milllion in 1998 for syndication rights. HBO isnt licensing it fpr any amount of money, they will syndicate it to prime/netflix/dianeyplus for an ungodly amount.

I am not an entertainment/IP lawyer but I'm pretty sure a firm can syndicate a TV show while continuing to use/rent out the relevant IP as it wishes, because those are separate transactions involving separate rights. This isn't about buying the rights to air the Game of Thrones TV show starring Sean Bean, it's about buying the rights to the characters, setting, etc. for use in an another project.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Every fan art of that particular scene that I've seen seems to nail that atmosphere extremely well. Like the exact moment where Rhaegar realizes "oh poo poo this idiot is about to kill me" and reconsiders all of his life choices in the span of however long it takes for Robert to cave his chest cavity in.

It's a Quentyn Martell "Oh" moment.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Fun story: the first French translation of GoT, back when it was just another fantasy novel for dorks, was... not good. Inconsistent name translation, baffling word choice, random vulgarism in an attempt to out-edge the grrm.

But my favourite bit was when Viserys or something says "we are the House of the Dragon." As in, obviously, a noble House, a dynasty. Obviously. Well, you guessed it, the bloke translated as demeure du dragon, i.e. a literal physical house. A dwelling. Like Targs have a door in them and furniture and there's a literal dragon going in and kicking back inside them after a hard day's work. Twenty years and I'm still laughing.

Oh thank God, I've been reading it and I've been super confused by all the weird word choices. I thought my french just sucked.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't think Rhaegar had a Valyrian steel sword, Bloodraven took Dark Sister to the wall with him and the Golden Company has Blackfyre

Obviously he borrowed Ice from Rickon Stark's corpse, which the fanart has appropriately rendered as impractically huge for real battle

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

George retconning Aegon the Conquerer into a good guy and savior is so on brand with his clear turn from caring mostly about the Starks to falling in love with his stupid magical incest master race circa 2005.

The Starks are also a stupid magical incest master race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but they’re incredibly dumb and get themselves killed.

The Targeryens are also incredibly dumb and get themselves killed.

It's just dark hair vs. light hair, wolves vs. dragons, idealized North Europeans vs. idealized South Europeans. Otherwise identical. No wonder GRRM leans toward the latter since getting richer than Croesus