Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't know if it's because I'm exhausted but the boatsex meme on the Free Folk subreddit is pretty loving funny

The upvote/downvote buttons are a work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kcroy posted:

so Sansa will let Arya take her face, and she will trick LF into something like betraying Jon / Arya, then Arya will dramatically rip off the face and kill LF.

We've established that faces can only be taken from dead people, surely this show would never be so sloppy as to introduce an inconsistency.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I gave the show waaaay too much credit for the last episode. First I thought they actually might have the balls to kill off King Jon, then I thought maybe he may be resistant to cold because he's undead. Dude was in the water for ages and should have dead in a minute.

But the show is just poo poo.

Hey, if Arya can survive a stab to the stomach with a few bandages and a nice bowl of soup...

But yeah, I had the same thought. Nothing actually contradicts the idea that Jon only survived the ice water because he's undead, and Benjen merely saved him from the zombies, so I still like to view it that way. Surely would have showed a minimum of competence if it had been acknowledged at any point, though.

Dany: "I saw you fall into the ice water. How do you still have your toes?"
Jon: "Oh, you know, I'm a right proper lad. And I didn't keep just my toes, wink wink."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

"Write a better book than the movie" is not a very high bar to clear, even crappy writers clear it all the time, so I trust anything Gurm may or may not publish will easily clear it.

Hell, I predict that - assuming Gurm never finishes the series - the top 0.1% of fanfiction endings that will be written after his death will still be better than the show.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Qyburn: Your Grace, I'm afraid you are the worst person in the Seven Kingdoms. Everybody wants to murder you.
Cersei: You mean I have Starks trying to murder me?
Qyburn: Yes.
Cersei: Targaryen?
Qyburn: Yes.
Cersei: Lannisters?
Qyburn: Uh, a little bit, yes. You also have several would-be murderers that have just been discovered - in the Red Keep.
Cersei: I see. You sure you haven't just made thousands of mistakes?
Qyburn: Uh, no, no, I'm afraid not.
Cersei: This sounds like bad news.
Qyburn: Well, you'd think so, but all of your murderers are in perfect balance. Uh, if you have a moment, I can explain.
Cersei: Well...
[looks at her wine bottle]
Cersei: [the Hand puts a tiny model castle gate on his desk]
Qyburn: Here's the door to your inner sanctum, see?
[bring up some small fuzz balls with goofy faces and limbs from under the desk]
Qyburn: And these are officially licensed character plushies.
[points to a different one up as he names each murderer]
Qyburn: That's Arya Stark, that's Daenerys Targaryen, that's Jaime Lannister, that's Euron Greyjoy, that's Varys, that's Gendry Waters, that's Jon Targaryen-Stark, that's the Night King,
[holds up one]
Qyburn: and this cute little cuddle-dwarf is Tyrion Lannister. Here's what happens when they all try to get through the gate at once.
[tries to cram a bunch through the model hate. The "murderers" get stuck]
Qyburn: [Stooge-like] Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo. Move it, cuntface.
[normal voice]
Qyburn: We call it, "Khal Drogo Syndrome".
Cersei: So what you're saying is, I'm invincible.
Qyburn: Oh, no, no, in fact, even one random schmuck could...
Cersei: Invincible...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

They couldn't hope to outrun the horde while carrying an uncooperative wight. Even with all the dumb things in the episode, I don't think this is one of them. That was pretty clear.

A slightly better question is "if they knew they couldn't outrun the horde, how could they hope to survive until the cavalry arrived?". If they could see the frozen lake from there, that's fair, but I don't think they could iirc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

There's no reason it had to be eastwatch. Other than to establish that the others don't have teleporter access.

First, this is a great picture.

Second, when did Tyrion use the teleporter?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kcroy posted:

She starts as a slave, ends up as one of the most powerful people in the world. Frees slaves along the way. Wants to "break the wheel". Maybe you have different definition of empowered? I mean, I'm open to being wrong here, but "anyone can be that stupid" is a bit extreme don't you think?

Not a rhetorical question: does it count as being empowered if the only reason you have power is that the plot people threw endless money, soldiers, advisors, and dragon eggs at you because of who your father was?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

In hindsight this is pretty hilarious:

quote:

Martin announced that he would not write a script for Season 5, to focus on writing the next novel. In March 2015, he also announced that he will voluntarily not be writing an episode for Season 6 either, as it would take about a month's worth of writing time away from his continuing work on the novel series.[5]

Oh no, not a whole month of delay!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Euron's "i'm going home" excuse was kinda dumb. yeah, the dead don't swim, but we saw in the previous episode when they dredged up Viserion that they can walk through water. Iron Borne think they can hide at home? pfft, it might take a little bit, but eventually the dead'll just start walking out of the ocean causing all the Drowned Priests to have poo poo fits about what is dead never dying but rising stronger. i mean, yeah, there's the dragon, so any island would be hosed anyways... and the "going home" was a fake-out--but even when he said it I was thinkin' about them Terminator zombies.

I was pleasantly surprised when it was revealed as a charade, because the show hadn't bothered with actual deception in a while.

Then I realized the charade only worked in the first place because I had so little faith in the show anymore that "I am Euron Greyjoy and I am going back home to hide like a little bitch" didn't even register as too stupid or out of character for the writers to come up with.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Show Euron doesn't work as a bad guy because he's a good guy :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

My favorite in inexplicable GRRM logistics were the lovely islands around Dragonstone which, according to his final opus The Princess and the Queen, somehow supported an entire colony of wild dragons, including a cannibal one.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I bet if they dropped a god attendance would improve tenfold.

e: ^^^^ :argh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I always found it odd that the Mormonts had one. The arse end of everywhere, tiny group with no real historical or current power, but the Lannisters can't get one for what is basically a blank cheque?

PupsOfWar posted:

and even the Targaryens haven't had one since Bloodraven ran off with their last one.

My personal pet tinfoil theory is that, in the books, there is no such sword as Longclaw.. Neither Jorah nor Lyanna ever mention it, and it doesn't make sense to send it to the elderly retiree at the Wall instead of keeping it in the family castle which is full of warriors of both sexes.

Jon's sword is Dark Sister, which Bloodraven entrusted to his nephew Aemon when he went beyond the Wall to become the three-eyed raven, in a conspicuously sword-less cave.

Later, Bloodraven sent Aemon a dream - if Bran can whisper to Theon in Winterfell, then Bloodraven can practically chat with his relative at Castle Black. Or maybe he just sent him an actual physical raven, why not.

Either way, he told Aemon to give the sword to the Stark bastard, without revealing the sword's real identity, making up some other story and crafting a replacement pommel and crossguard.

Mormont was sceptical, he had half-hoped that once the Last Targaryen had passed away, the sword could have become the Lord Commander's sword of office, and restored some badly needed prestige to the Night's Watch. But after Jon saved his life, he decided to trust Aemon and play along with the charade.

(Maybe Bran will learn and reveal the sword's true story, maybe not.)

There are no Targaryen swords in the show, but in the books (whichwillnevercomeout) there could be a Dragonbowl between Aegon, the bastard who believes himself legitimater wielding Blackfyre, and Aejon, the legitimate heir who thinks himself a bastard wielding the bastard sword Dark Sister.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 4, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The logistics are essentially perfect. Brynden leaves King's Landing with a famous Valyrian steel sword, spends some time in Castle Black, reappears beyond the Wall without said sword, and nobody knows what happened to it. Some time later, a Valyrian steel sword, whose existence was apparently unknown to everybody, shows up in Castle Black with a conveniently brand new pommel. And as soon as it's revealed, it gets immediately gifted to a Targaryen whelp, despite supposedly being the priceless family heirloom of a proud house. That's about as suspicious as three Septa Lemores.

AFAIK there are two weaknesses with the theory:

One, the motive for Mormont and Aemon to invent that 'Longclaw' cover story in order to give Dark Sister to Jon. Here I kind of throw my hands in the air and say "Bloodraven works in mysterious ways", which to be fair wouldn't be the first or the last time.

Second, there's an email by Gurm where he mentions "the Valyrian longsword Dark Sister, whose slender blade is designed for a woman's hand". It could be a simple mistake in a random email to a fan - the American Tolkien isn't above accidental inconsistencies of this sort - but Longclaw being a bastard sword is one of its more notable traits, so it would be an odd one to make.

Still, even if the full theory isn't true, then where the hell is Dark Sister? 'Cause Bloodraven sure isn't hiding it under his rags.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 4, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Pfft. We've been friends a while and if we have watched tommy wiseau's The Room and von Trier's Antichrist without issue, I think it'll be fine.

I used to know a girl who'd insist on watching Salo with new dates. Let's just say her love life wasn't idyllic.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Seven-foot tall soldiers on stilts, don't forget.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

This is exactly what it is haha

Or even cheaper - they're not actually gonna do anything special, they're just saying it so that when the finale leaks people will suspect it's one of the alternates.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Comedy outcome: The multiple endings are different people killing Cersei.

Better comedy outcome: the final battle goes the same way in every ending, but the post-battle montage of each one features Tyrion, Sansa, Gendry, Arya, Bronn, and Yara pairing off to gently caress in different combinations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Counterpoint: medicine in Westeros is waaaay better than it was in medieval Europe. Sterilizing wounds is common knowledge, maesters even sterilize their surgical instruments and use opiate anaesthetics, and nobles with access to maesters can survive leprosy. It's much closer to late 19th century, in fact.

This is kind of borne out in the books, where epidemics like the Great Spring Sickness are multi-generational rarities (comparable to the Spanish Flu) rather than regular occurrences like premodern plagues. Few nobles die of disease in the story.

It's still stupid to only have one or two sons when you can afford more (hell, royal families and pseudo-royals like the Kennedys still like to have spare heirs to this day), but not quite as absurd as it would have been in the real Middle Ages.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are plenty of characters Dotrice did really well, even his pouty Arya becomes adorable after a while, but nothing excuses racist chinese caricature missandei.

Is there a sample clip online? When you have show Missandei in mind that sounds hilarious.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

Each team brings their own balls.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Yes, but interceptions happen. Both teams handle the balls, they need to be standard

*giggles like a schoolboy*

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

pakman posted:

Is it out yet

Aye, of fucks to give, m'lord.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

If I was GRRM I would just say gently caress it and pay some ghostwriter to link together whatever the gently caress chapter fragments I felt like writing / finished just to get people to stop nagging him.

poo poo, with his cash, he could afford to pay ten ghostwriters to each do the same work individually, then pay an editor to pick the best chapters from each.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/quepapafrita/status/955865546020487169

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

They used to print pamphlets for the cult they were part of so they had access to an industrial scale self-publishing print shop :eng101:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Universal_and_Triumphant posted:

The church's theology is a syncretistic belief system, including elements of Buddhism, Christianity, esoteric mysticism, the paranormal and alchemy, with a belief in angels and elementals (or spirits of nature). It centers on communications received from Ascended Masters through the Holy Spirit. Many of the Ascended Masters, such as Sanat Kumara, Maitreya, Djwal Khul, El Morya, Kuthumi, Paul the Venetian, Serapis Bey, the Master Hilarion, the Master Jesus and Saint Germain, have their roots in Theosophy and the writings of Madame Blavatsky, C.W. Leadbeater, and Alice A. Bailey. Others, such as Buddha and Confucius, are historical religious figures.

Well I can see where he got his rampant originality from.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sam is the last of the Night's Watch. He should change the name to Wight Watchers and only hire fat people to make them thin.

Based on his stunning personal track record, of course.

Dangerllama posted:

I'm still confused that we have the children of the corn magicking a Night’s King, a red god that can raise the dead and birth assassin shadows, Bran doing crow puppetry which doesn’t seem to be tied to any religion at all, and yet almost everyone worships The Seven, for which we’ve seen no major supporting evidence of their existence.

The religious aspects of ASOIAF have always felt like a bit of a mess.

This is definitely in overthinking territory, but the Faith of the Seven being powerless might be exactly what makes them popular with rulers - as long as they aren't allowed to do silly things like establishing a militant order, they keep the populace happy and defend the status quo.

The priests of every other religion have been at best free agents acting with the blessing and supernatural powers granted by their gods, and most of them have been a keystone of opposition to the temporal rulers - the Red God dude in Volantis whom the Triarchs fear, the Many-Faced God allegedly organizing Valyrian slave uprisings, Seaweedbeard or whathisname trying to manipulate the royal election, etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

YaketySass posted:

why don't they do the slavery show and the star wars spinoff at the same time

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It’s the ship that made the Triangle Trade in less than fifteen thousand nautical miles!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Discworld, but the humorous approach, for now at least, doesn't interest me too much. There's something to the feel of The Witcher and ASOIAF that I'm attracted to and looking for more of. Hard to pin point. I hate to say the "grittiness" because gritty for the sake of gritty doesn't interest me.

Also noted on the Malazan books, I'll avoid for now. Would historical fiction be my go-to from here? I've heard The Hussite Trilogy is great, but it's not in English.

In the fantasy genre, I suggest you check out the Black Company series. It's much more high fantasy than ASOIAF/Witcher, but they share a similar mood which I would sum up as 'this world is full of poo poo'. Disclaimer - it's also more character-oriented than the others, I think a big reason I "only" read the first three books and never bothered to keep reading was that the world didn't feel real and vibrant in my mind the way Planetos does.

In the historical fiction, I would recommend Q by Luther Blissett / Wu Ming. It's a genuinely great novel, set during one of the most chaotic and high-adrenaline parts of European history, which makes it a good transition from fantasy reading. Also the authors are shamelessly unreconstructed pinkos, which I'm sure goons will appreciate.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Jim Carrey would make a good Euron. Anywho, is the Telltale GoT game any good? And is it even available anymore? The complete lack of good ASOIAF games is baffling.

Viggo Mortensen would be my choice of Euron.

The Telltale game is terrible. You play as a totally-not-Starks family and the degree to which your choices don't matter is the most blatant it's ever been. At the end of the first episode, Ramsay asks to enter your castle under a flag of truce, and you can choose to let him in or deny him and parley at the gate. If you deny him, he magically appears inside anyway two minutes later.

Cyanide's janky-rear end ARPG from 2012 was unironically a better game. It had mediocre gameplay, some poor quality environments, and ~~SECRET TARGS~~, but at least it had interesting set pieces and it showed basic respect for the player.

edit: obligatory plugs for the CK2 mod:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 9, 2019

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

:smugissar:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/n...cbd47feb3f.html

quote:

“This case, at its core, is about accessibility,” he said. “The property is owned by a trust, and our clients are the beneficiaries of the trust and will reside there hopefully for the remainder of their lives. They’re an aging couple that both have mobility issues. One of them is essentially down to a wheelchair now, and we don’t anticipate that changing any time in the future — and this is about providing safe access to an upper-level deck structure.”

IIRC his wife isn't a paragon of health and fitness either, but if he hasn't been seen in public since before Covid, it might be that Gurm is cosplaying as Bran right now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

You want a WW2 counterfactual with the Nazis on the winning side?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German%E2%80%93Soviet_Axis_talks

quote:

On January 17, 1941, seven days after the German–Soviet Border and Commercial Agreement, Molotov asked German officials whether the parties could then work out an agreement for entry to the Axis Pact.[63][90] Molotov expressed astonishment at the absence of any answer to the Soviets' November 25 offer to join the pact[90] and never received an answer.[90] On March 1, 1941, Bulgaria joined the Axis, which further unsettled Stalin after Germany had continued to ignore Stalin's November 25, 1940 Axis entry proposal.[91] After six months of preparations, Germany invaded the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941, which ended any hope for the proposed alliance.

I've never heard of any alt-history fiction that used this as a premise, which astonishes me, considering that (a) it would have only taken Germany's assent to become reality, and (b) a "USA+UK as the heroic besieged underdogs against a massive Eurasian block" scenario sounds exactly up the alley of American pulp writers (although I'd personally be more interested in a three-way Cold War between Germany, USSR and Japan).

Granted, the Soviets buried up these talks pretty well in the post-war. But they've been confirmed public knowledge since the '90s at least.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 16, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

And as has been noted-- he's not lazy. Even on a generous curve for all the help he must have, he's found time to buy cinemas and railroads and try to build a literal castle like some old maester who suddenly came into a bunch of gold in The Reach. He finds time to consult on other projects and sign his name to them. He just doesn't want to sit down and do the very boring work because he knows that once he does the blind public and social respect he's enjoyed for nearly a quarter of a century is gonna come to an end.

GRRM dies, leaves four completed books in a bank vault with a strict legally-binding order on his estate not to publish them until 100 years after his death or until the last living ASOIAF fan is dead, whichever comes first. His final act of spite.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

jsoh posted:

there are not four completed asoiaf books today what makes you think he has 4 more?

GRRM when writing books that are going to get published and complete his life's work: sleeps, eats, plays railroad tycoon both IRL and on his ancient pc

GRRM when writing books that will not get published and will only exist to further mock, frustrate and piss off his fans after he's dead: hey wassup stephen, i'll send elio to bangor tomorrow to pick up more of your leftover angel dust, i want to hit 75 pages a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

pthighs posted:

Ty Franck, co-author of The Expanse series. Oddly, right around the time he left GRRM , Ty churned out a ton of books and GRRM stopped writing.

Very suspicious. Evidently Mr. Franck got some dirty blackmail material on GRRM and he's been forcing him to ghost-write books for him ever since, instead of finishing TWOW like he wanted.