Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Hey now! There's nothing wrong with using Livejournal! I have a livejournal.

Out of curiosity, how many chapters now have we seen from the next book? It feels like a surprisingly large number. I'm torn between wanting to consume new chapters and not wanting half the book to be spoiled by the time it comes out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Can we leave Parris out of this? It's one thing to make fun of GRRM, he's put himself out there as a celebrity, as a person of note, but she's a private citizen who has nothing to do with ASoIaF. It's loathsome behavior that makes you look so, so much worse than him.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

AtAt-de-fay posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo?

This private citizen took a very public poo poo on JK Rowling when she won "George's Hugo", insists going to Cons is business and not as much fun as people think and threatened to sue the socks of off anyone who reproduced Martin's NAB posts.

Would bang, lights on.

Yeah, I didn't know any of this.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

bobjr posted:

I wonder if we'll get any blogs from the GRRM about how this season did things wrong.

I doubt it. He's very supportive of the team behind GoT at HBO and just loves it all. He loves the actors, seems to be friendly with the creative team of GoT and if there's anything different he'll just note it as creative freedom, the different demands of the medium, etc. Sorry for the boring response.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I really enjoyed the latest Preston Jacobs analysis (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bu3RY7-jTg)
It really drives home what I think is his greatest strength: paying close attention to the various houses of the seven kingdoms. I look forward to seeing what crazy theory he comes up with after the relatively sane and sensible first video he opens up with.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Rosscifer posted:

That one is remarkably on the ball.

In his last one he argues that Littlefinger is trying to "fool" the Old Gods into thinking that Dontos Hollard is still the Lord of Duskendale and make the Old Gods think that Dontos is a kidnapper so that so something magical will happen at Harrenhal or something. :psyboom: Also Robert would never have pictures of tapestries displayed because he would never want to offend anyone and apparently King Aery's was definitely being raped while he was kidnapped.

Seriously, Jacob's whole hour of Littlefinger stuff seems to come from some bizarre conviction that LF is trying to swindle the Iron Bank and the gods. LF is obviously just working for the Iron Bank.

Yeah, the littlefinger one was more tinfoil hat amusing than anything, but I like that it provides food for thought.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

eXXon posted:

Alternately, in his dying breath he hands the manuscripts to old man Gene Wolfe and lamprey pies are replaced with petromyzontiforme phylla.

If people think there are a lot of tin-foil hat theories now, they have no idea, there would be ten times as many if Gene Wolfe were the one in charge.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Hunky Joe posted:

In reality though I bet they'll recreate the scene only leaving Varys out of it. Like a chamber maid crossbows Kevan and it cuts to Varys giving some big long speech about chaos and stuff like Littlefinger.

If they edit it like the assassinations near the end of The Godfather that'd be kind of baller.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Although I found the Howland Reed theory appealing at first, with time I can see that it's not very credible. I think the reason it came about is due to Howland Reed being so noticeably absent from the book-action, for a character who seems so important to the back-story and is presumably still alive. My suspicion is that Martin kind of forgot about him because he latched the main story on other characters that more appealed to him.
I would love to know what he is up to, and House reed in general (the two kids accompanying Bran aside).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

But... but... but... Oldtown is my favorite part of the new books! Sadness. :(

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

visceril posted:

Woah how'd you get so tough?

You must eat your bread fresh from the ovens, baked from grains harvested this past season in the great fields of the Riverlands, though they were ground into flour in the Reach, where some Dornish peppers brought in from the south trade routes added a bit of smokiness and flavor to the bread, which should go well with the roasted lamb from the Aerie, roasted on a spit above a fire of glowing logs, seared to perfection. Surely you hollowed out a trencher or two to have your fill of the roasted lamb. Yes, I can see the warm grease trickle down your chin as you bite into the warm meat, seasoned in the Midland way, with neeps and garlic cloves ground with a mortar and pestle and massaged into the tender flesh before it was skewered and placed above the fire. And how else could you wash down such a delicious meal but with a sweet rum brought in from the Summer Isles, with fruity and oaken notes, delicate as words which ride upon the wind.

You do not understand. George R R Martin is using non-narrative description as a writerly way to describe the world through his love of language. Umberto Eco used a similar technique in his The Name Of The Rose in a long description of the abbey's door. It's too weed out the dilettantes.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

For those of us who don't get hbo, what were the major bits of info from this latest ep?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Huh. I could have sworn that in the winds of winter stannis was going to win in battle in a similar style to the famous battle of Alexander Nevsky.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2013/04/post_45.html

quote:

On the other hand, these gruesome-looking creatures are very edible, Rudstam said.

“They have a different taste, like squid. The French eat them with delight. England’s Henry I died while eating a large meal of lampreys,” Rudstam. “And some of the Native American tribes out on the Pacific Coast eat lamprey and are concerned about their decline there.

“They’re not a bad food fish. They hardly have any bones. You cut them into chunks,” he said.

Make fun of GRRM for his other poo poo all you want, but having Lamprey pie appear in his fantasy novel is not that ridiculous. It's exactly the sort of weird delicacy that would show up as the dinner for nobility.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I use livejournal.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

He almost certainly doesn't. I've found that even the spergiest authors are more interested in being storytellers rather than caring about having "deep" ideas. They care about that poo poo but at the end of the day they know they're on-task to deliver a story and subtextual poo poo like that is more for the fans than them. That's one of the many reasons he lost momentum-- suddenly the book was more about managing the lovely-rear end world he built instead of telling a story. Why else did you think he wanted to do a timeskip? So he could basically start fresh, but decided ultimately that the dreaded ~~plot holes~~ or whatever the gently caress would be too unbearable and just had to try and connect all the dots.

Gene Wolfe provides a strong counterexample of an author who DOES care about poo poo like that, and GRRM has made it publicly known that he is a Gene Wolfe fan.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How's Hyperion?

A nerd said it was good but I'm leery.

Hyperion's great. I'm a nerd but my username is taken from a Wilkie Collins novel so I'm a lit nerd. His later novels get horrible though.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I'd like Brian Blessed.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

New Preston video! New preston video! It's a good one. Dragon fire doesn't melt Quentyn. Wake up sheeple.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I love the latest Preston Dorne video. I think that I've reached the point where, if his theories are wrong, I don't want the books to be right.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I, personally, am convinced that there's something weird about Dany's childhood and that the red door and lemon tree stuff is significant.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I liked the chapter overall, although it wasn't great. I enjoyed the exploration of the terrain, I enjoyed the sense of being on a spy mission, I found it an interesting look at the golden company, I liked the cavern exploration (actually wish there was a bit more of consequence there). In terms of moving the story along, we hear about an army from King's Landing coming to meet (f)Aegon, that's something. I didn't like the bit where the young sand snake was fooling around with Feather, felt a bit easy and cheap. Some of the writing felt a bit easy overall. I'd give it a C+. It's not -that- bad people.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Fargo Fukes posted:

I like Preston Jacobs, I really do, but I fear he's not yet realised his precious book version, so superior to the show, will never exist.

He will learn.

I honestly think that if books came out and everything Preston predicted were true, it could be genuinely great in a gonzo sort of way.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

MrSlam posted:

The master-theory is just all the theories he has linked together. Every theory is true. Colony world suffering from nuclear war, Children are telepathic mutants, the Dornish masterminding literally everything that's happened to the Lannisters, Euron summoning Cthulhu* to bring about the Long Night, all prophecies are poo poo, every dream is psychological warfare from the Children, Sweet Robin is the Kwisatz Haderach, Littlefinger's only goal is to recreate the tourney at Harrenhal; everything, it's all true and it's all connected.

Alt Shift X showcases theories too but he also plays a skeptic to himself and provides other viewpoints. PJ will squeeze whatever plausibility from the words or the most strenuous connections he can find and mock you for thinking otherwise. But of course, it's all okay because He's Probably Wrong About Half These Things which is weak.

*hyperbole

The fact that you think he's mocking his audience for being skeptical says more about you than it says about him. For christsake, you quote his catch-phrase expressing humility in regard to his own theories yourself, are you forgetting that? How is it weak to follow up your goofy but interesting book theory with an admission that you might be wrong? Since when is admitting that you might be mistaken a weakness?

I think he's wrong about Westeros being a colony world, but he definitely makes some good points about other stuff.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pJkldtAh0

Preston Jacobs meets his hero, learns that Martin probably hasn't been seeding in subplots from stories he wrote 40 years ago.

Please. GRRM was just being coy.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ser Arthur Dayne, the Knightiest of Knights. Stands there and watches as his completely insane king slowly cooks a man to death while his firstborn son is strangled trying to save them both, while likely knowing full well that Lyanna ran away and could've said as much at any time

Much like Ned, Arthur Dayne's an idiot and Jamie's single act of shanking the Mad King makes him a better person than everyone else in the Kingsguard. Arthur probably would've started the fires himself.

Wasn't it Gerold Hightower who was there? Or am I getting mixed up? It's possible that Hightower didn't now that the Rhaegar Lyanna tryst was consensual at that time?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

That's my thought as well. They were being nice but it made for bad television. They followed him even to the point that characters were in horrible places like Dorne and Braavos and this season was just getting them back on Westeros so the plot can advance. There were several times it seems that the actors were directly talking to the audience and apologizing. The Tyrion conversation was the major one. But also things like the Frey pies and Varys randomly saying Blood and Fire were, I thought, secret apologies for truncating the two best parts of the last two books.

I wonder at this point if he will even finish TWOW by next season. No need to now.

I'll still contend that Dorne and Braavos could've been good, but were screwed up. Dorne moreso, obviously.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Lycus posted:

A lot of Preston's theories are based on the idea that everything is an intentional puzzle and GRRM never introduces irrelevant details or makes mistakes, even if they require insignificant characters and/or imagined motives to make sense.

Basically, Game of Thrones as if it were written by Gene Wolfe.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I can vouch for this recipe being both: a) mind-bogglingly easy b) a crowd pleaser. http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/salmonpie.html

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Preston Jacob's is slowing down but the latest What You are Missing episode just said the following:
Cersei poisoned joffery and never thinks about it, just like how theon got his dick chopped off and never thinks about it. I typed out a bunch of words about how dumb this was but then I realized he said accidentally. How does that work?
She was trying to get Tyrion? By poisoning her son's cup? Or what?

He called it a common theory but I've never heard it said before.

No, he says a) that maybe Tywin poisoned Joffrey and b) he's skeptical of this theory.

edit, nvm, I see now that he mentions that ludicrous idea in the second part of the video.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 6, 2016

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Is the author still in middle school? I'm not joking, he looks like he's fourteen or fifteen.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

maybe they'll kill the nights king in the first episode and then do a whole season about the economic and thus political changes brought about by the sudden change in climate regime

You wouldn't find that sort of incisive political and economic analysis in Tolkien!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I would imagine that the publishers saw a lot of marketing value in the novelty of having a fantasy book written to appeal to 15 year old teenage boys written by an actual teenager.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

According to wiki:

Kenneth and Talita Paolini, the parents of Inheritance cycle author Christopher Paolini, were once members but later left the organization. They have since written the book 400 Years of Imaginary Friends: A Journey Into the World of Adepts, Masters, Ascended Masters, and Their Messengers, which discussed their experiences of the sect as well as a history of it related to other groups.[26]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Intolerance
is a cinematic epic made in the Hollywood of the 1910s. Hollywood as we all know is the most important centre of American film industry. Intolerance is extremely interesting to us today for various reasons. Modern filmmakers would still like to know what the secret methods were that D.W. Griffith used to make thousands of people look good on film. This interesting riddle is still quite a challenge to modern cinematography in the twentieth-first century.

It also has ancient flame-throwing Babylonian tanks.