Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Speaking of the Dothraki, I'm not sure if this came up recently, but the A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry Guy did a four-part breakdown on them recently, prompted in large part by a particular GRRM quote:

Bearded Old Man posted:

The Dothraki were actually fashioned as an amalgam of a number of steppe and plains cultures… Mongols and Huns, certainly, but also Alans, Sioux, Cheyenne, and various other Amerindian tribes… seasoned with a dash of pure fantasy.
You may be shocked to discover that this is actually totally hallucinatory transcendent bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

No fooling. Hell, practically EVERYONE loves fancy poo poo.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Orson Scott Card: The Hypocrites of Homosexuality posted:

Within the Church, the young person who experiments with homosexual behavior should be counseled with, not excommunicated. But as the adolescent moves into adulthood and continues to engage in sinful practices far beyond the level of experimentation, then the consequences within the Church must grow more severe and more long-lasting; unfortunately, they may also be more public as well.

This applies also to the polity, the citizens at large. :siren:Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.:siren:

The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships.

Those who would be members of a community must sacrifice the satisfaction of some of their individual desires in order to maintain the existence of that community. They must, in other words, obey the rules that define what that community is. Those who are not willing or able to obey the rules should honestly admit the fact and withdraw from membership.

Thus, just as America, a democratic society, is under no obligation to preserve some imagined "right" of citizens who wish to use their freedom to overthrow that democracy and institute tyranny, so likewise the LDS church, which is founded on the idea that the word of God as revealed through his prophets should determine the behavior of the Saints, is under no obligation to protect some supposed "right" of those members who would like to persuade us that neither God nor the prophets has the authority to regulate them.

If the Church has no the authority to tell its members that they may not engage in homosexual practices, then it has no authority at all. And if we accept the argument of the hypocrites of homosexuality that their sin is not a sin, we have destroyed ourselves.

Orson Scott Card in the preface to The Hypocrites of Homosexuality, covering his gigantic moon-sized rear end with a piece of kleenex posted:

This essay was published in February of 1990, in the following context: The Supreme Court had declared in 1986 (Bowers v. Hardwick) that a Georgia law prohibiting sodomy even in the privacy of one's own home was constitutional. I was also writing this essay to a conservative Mormon audience that at the time would have felt no interest in decriminalizing homosexual acts. In that context, my call to "leave the laws on the books" was simply recognizing the law at that time, and my call to not enforce it except in flagrant cases was actually, within that context, a liberal and tolerant view -- for which I was roundly criticized in conservative Mormon circles as being "pro-gay." Those who now use this essay to attack me as a "homophobe" deceptively ignore the context and treat the essay as if I had written it yesterday afternoon. That is absurd -- now that the law has changed (the decision was overturned in 2003) I have no interest in criminalizing homosexual acts and would never call for such a thing, any more than I wanted such laws enforced back when they were still on the books. But I stand by the main points of this essay, which concerns matters internal to the Mormon Church.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

What's happening with them this year?

A Very Sweary Essay About George R.R. Martin Is Nominated For A Hugo Award posted:

An essay titled “George R.R. Martin Can gently caress Off Into the Sun” has been nominated for a Hugo Award—and unlike most rageblogs about him, it isn’t actually about how he's taking his sweet time with A Song of Ice and Fire, or the backlash to the Game of Thrones finale.

Incidentally, the blog post in question was written about Martin’s hosting skills (or lack thereof) displayed during the 2020 Hugo Awards. In the piece, author Natalie Luhrs criticizes Martin for a multitude of things, such as mispronouncing the names of nominees and going on irrelevant tangents.

The mispronunciations were made especially bizarre considering the show was pre-recorded, suggesting a lack of care on Martin’s part.

Luhrs does not hold back in the criticism, reaching the conclusion that both Martin and fellow author Robert Silverberg should be “shot into the sun where they shall bother us no longer.”

Both Martin and Silverberg are criticized for repeatedly referring to late author John W. Campbell, as he held many racist beliefs on slavery and segregation.

The 2021 Hugo Award nominations make for an interesting read. “George R.R. Martin Can gently caress Off Into the Sun” will be up against “The Last Bronycon: a fandom autopsy"—a video essay documenting the rise and fall of the brony fandom—for the Best Related Word award.

George R.R. Martin is yet to respond to the essay, or the fact that it could potentially win an award at the very show he hosted last year.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I was such a dumb teenager that after I finished the Ender books I continued to the Bean books and I guess was really a massive idiot cause that didn't stop me and I read the entire call of earth saga when I knew absolutely nothing about Mormons and their faith.

That's how dumb I am. Thanks.
Same but also the tales of Joseph Smith Alvin Maker. I believe you will find that it is I who am dumb :smug:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I know it's been ages since it updated, but I thought the full archive was still on its site ?

Also, unless I'm missing a joke, MarriedToTheSea still seems to be updating.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh poo poo, nice. Although that seems to be some revival not the originals? I don't see Dr. Mario or the Owls in my quick skim.
I'd vaguely encountered the owlectomy comic and until this moment I had no idea it was from Lucid-TV so yeah I guess at some point they rebooted? Sorry for the false alarm there.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's really funny how this schlock sexy fake medieval history gets treated like scripture by all these people, we live in a special time in human history.
The TV audiences know that we always gotta be having sexy history.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t think GRRM has even hinted at working on any Dany chapters the last 11 years meaning this is likely the last thing he wrote (and will ever write) about her.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Dany died of dysentery on the way to her home planet continent
The more she shat the less he wrote, and the less he wrote the more she shat.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TERFherder posted:

I have a 8 year old nephew. He watches YT videos by this guy who posits on the meaning behind things in video games, and it's so clearly just bullshit. It's like old Preston, but with way less material to work with. Is there a word to describe this? It used to happen a lot in video games - you'd see door knobs that you can't open. The graphics indicate a functionality that just doesn't exist. It would be like imagining the backstory behind why those doors are closed, and coming up with what the developers intended by closing off those doors. When the real reason is because it's just atmosphere. It has absolutely no depth. There has to be a phrase for this when someone digs for meaning and there isn't any. Can someone help me out here?

Pareidolia posted:

Pareidolia (/ˌpærɪˈdoʊliə, ˌpɛər-/;[1] also US: /ˌpɛəraɪ-/)[2] is the tendency for perception to impose a meaningful interpretation on a nebulous stimulus, usually visual, so that one sees an object, pattern, or meaning where there is none.

I mostly only know this word because of numerous people using it to explain an insane man on the internet called David Peters who's spent thirty years believing he can discover hidden bones and traces in fossils by putting low-res jpgs in photoshops and tracing on the stuff he imagines he can see if he squints.
In case it wasn't clear, he's an enormous pseudoscientist who presents himself as just a humble guy asking the tough questions....who also asserts his every 'discovery' as fiat and endlessly laments the elitist academics who ignore and cast doubt on his conclusions because they are profoundly wrong and probably corrupt.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 6, 2023

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

bone emulator posted:

When Arthur Clarke was 80 he put out a sequel to 2001 that had the astronaut that was jettisoned by HAL in the original get revived by an advanced civilization in the year 3001. Said civilizations has cloned dinosaurs as pets and all the ladies wants to sleep with the man from the year 2001 because he is circumcised.

I'm bringing it up because that's the kind of garbage I'm expecting from the Fucker at this point.
Curse you for reminding me of this for another twenty years, but I'm pretty sure the one lady we saw on-screen attempting to sleep with the man from the year 2001 was so put off by his circumcision that she backed out with much apologizing over his being quote mutilated unquote.

Deptfordx posted:

drat. They couldn't find a better picture of Frank Herbert for his Wikipedia entry? He looks rough.
When they took the photo he was still all exhausted from disavowing one of his sons for being gay, cut him some slack.

Mad Hamish posted:

Yes but IIRC Arthur C Clarke is a child molestor and while the Bloated One is super creepy I don't think he's done that.
Between him, Herbert, and Asimov the rear end Grabbler I think Martin is somehow blatantly in the lead for 'least creepy/evil fucker' yeah.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Elman posted:

Walking in the pear shaped man's footsteps
Fifty million years ago he wrote the plot for half a show.
He lives in a railroad castle, blogs that writing is a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Not with Jon, but she does gently caress off and leave the continent and its politics behind. Though I guess it's more northwest than north.
Arya's expedition - trapped in the ice overwinter -- perishes with all hands after consuming canned rations sealed with delicious lead solder to the bemusement of the locals; centuries later, bards compose a mournful ballad about how neat that was.