Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
The general TV audience isn't gonna remember and/or care about Kevin (Kevan?). The show could have him appear early next episode, do and say cool competent-guy things to suggest that he's gonna matter, and then get murdered toward the end. But I think that might happen next season, if at all.

Also FYI. Episode 10 has apparently leaked. I think the TV forum spoiler thread is talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

sometimes I hope nobodies a secret anything

except maybe jon (who it turns out is perma-dead), whose special magic dragon blood never gets agknowlaged until Littlefinger or Varys just drops offhand "oh, the so-called bastard was almost certainly the child of rhaegar for reasons, but nobody would have followed a celibate rapist-leader named snow, even if he wasn't a rotting corpse - blood's not magic and you clearly have not been paying attention to this realpolitik poo poo motherfucker."

then the spooky snow baddies kill everyone and prove to be those dust floater things in the eye of Mucumba, but on the show it's GRRMs eye and also they kill by rape

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

It's dumb and silly if everyone is a Secret X, though

Jon having magic dragon anime blood is Enough

But maybe GRRM is subverting the trope of characters being the person described in the text, that IS a big trope

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

Here's the Vary's merman theory:

it SOUNDS like a joke making fun of having complex "theories" about a dumb glistening dragon weenier pants making GBS threads fantasy story that pretended to be mostly good and serious in the first book

But GRRM loves SUBVERTING

Ergo; it is not a joke bc that's being subverted and Varys IS a merman

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it's more than that. The first season is in my opinion easily the best season of a fantasy show ever made, one of the best TV watching experiences I've ever had (and let's not get into the sopranos/the wire/breaking bad comparisons, I think we can all agree it was a very good season of TV by most accounts) but when you review the source material it is simply much more compact than any of the other books, in the first book the only characters that are truly remote from any other character are Jon and Dany, and even Jon has his couple of chapters hanging out with Tyrion, and Dany's plot itself is very good and has an incredibly satisfying ending, past that book you already have Arya in one location, Sansa in another, Cat & Rob doing their thing, Jon is still all on his own, Stannis is introduced, Dany does nothing for an entire novel, etc, already you have the same amount of screentime divided between twice as many locations and concurrent plots and it just keeps expanding with every novel with certain characters constantly moving away from the central locations, past the first season the adaptation became a lot more challenging and instead of just excising material early on they allowed themselves to get carried away with George's excesses, the quality of their original material also didn't do them any favors for certain.

tl;dr: the first book is almost the perfect source material for a TV adaptation, the following novels much less so.

First book/season seemed to be more about schemes and intrigue and putting realistic-ish characters in a setting that happened to be fantasy than the laborious "world building" it all kind of devolves into.

Watching the first season got me to read the books even though I never really got into fantasy stuff generally, and now I'm kinda in till the end because I've read so much already, hoping against hope that the grumm moves away from pants making GBS threads dany doing nothing and gets back to cool court intrigue house of cards with knights poo poo.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

imagine everything is the same but in the show "wildlings" are black and community leader jon snow let "wildlings" from like two blocks outside of the gated community swim in the pool too

makes you think hunh

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 28, 2015

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

syscall girl posted:

The moon is often associated with women for some reason.

this is definitely a thing, and now I gotta know why

anybody read the golden bough in like the last decade

edit: been answered. and nobody actually reads the golden bough. they buy it for a college class and THINK about reading it, then leave it visible on a shelf for the rest of their life.

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

This whole series is at its best when it takes a silly, knightly, chivalrous world and says "lol even here power is what people think is powerful - right don't matter u dum dum."

I feel like a dude who's been recognized as a sir, and made a folk hero for his deeds in that capacity, isn't gonna give too many fucks about his grumm designed lineage being wrong

the pretend people of westerworld wont give no fucks about technicalities

motherfuckin pretend b sel wont either