Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

My favorite has always been when Arya is passing by banners marked with the signs of Umbers and Starks and she hear's men toasting to the marriage between Edmure and the Frey girl, then she hears someone raise their glass to King Robb and Queen Jeyne. Ever since Ned was captured by Cersei in the chamber room and their household guard slaughtered, Arya was never closer to safety and to men who were truly loyal to her and would do anything to keep her safe. She wants to join them, but the Hound refuses and the wagon plods along to its inevitable conclusion. Then those men cheering Robb and his queen are burned alive when the tents go up in flames or slaughtered in the drunken confusion that follows. And this after victory and victory in the battlefield. For me, it was it the great GURM's mightiest blow because I felt the Northern army was a character as much as Robb or Ned and the following chapter where Arya witnessed the systematic destruction of the army was a thousand different wounds.

There's plenty of moments like this in the books and, even if he produces nothing more to the series, he's honestly contributed shocking amounts of quality to the literary world. It gets lost in the grandness of his scope, but it doesn't mean it's not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Kafka Esq. posted:

I bet Darkstar's maiming part will be done by Bronn. Trystane will do some foolish hotheaded young man thing like trying to kill Jaime, and then Bronn will try to put his sword through Trystane but Myrcella will get in the way. This leads to an epic fight where Jaime barely crawls away but Bronn is killed by a dozen Areo Hotah glaive wounds.

Kill Bronn and Jon in the same episode, make the world burn.

I got a different vibe from that Dorne scenes last episode. Elaria completely turning from mad to sweet and Doran giving the Lannisters everything they wanted with no price or penalty? No chance that's how it plays out. Next episode we'll likely see Myrcella cut down and Bronn with her, otherwise there's no real climax to that entire plot and the opener scene with Cersei will have no relevance to the season. They also haven't done enough set up to kill off Tommen, and Kings Landing scenes will be consumed with Cersei's walk and that is enough of a finisher for KL. I have to imagine that we'll get the scene where Oakheart dies (Bronn dies in Jaime's place), Myrcella gets cut down or maimed, and Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are the root cause of it. No matter how it plays out, though, it's a waste of two of the shows best characters for an entire season. Maybe next season we'll get Jaime in the Riverlands, but I'm doubtful because much of the narrative importance of that (The Lannisters struggling to secure the peace, stamping out Stark loyalists, Brotherhood without Banners ect) are greatly diminished.

Who knows where we're going to go with season 6, but season 5 was extremely rough with all the story changes. I'm actually relieved and surprised at how good the past two episodes have been and I'm very hopeful for the finale. If we get 3 solid episodes in a row this will have been a worthwhile season, even with the weak first two thirds. If the trend of lessening quality continues, though, I think we'll wind up with season 7 being good for the last 30 minutes of the series. I miss when season 1 came out and it was basically all movie quality with incredible acting, scripting and world building.

Junkenstein posted:

Who's the true heir to the Iron Show Throne now then, Baratheon-wise?

Gendry is the only surviving (bastard) Baratheon in the show, isn't he? If the D&D even remember he exists.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

That is a great write up. That character always pissed me off because I could only think about how stupid Cersei was for trusting her and how obvious it was that she's a Tyrell plant. That adds the necessary depth to make her actually interesting, but it also goes to show how deeply Martin failed to properly set up the Blackfyre movement. I'm not too observant of a reader (I had no idea Jon was a Targaryan or how Littlefinger was behind everything) but while I instantly picked up on Aegon being a fake I never connected it to the Blackfyre lore. I don't really think that's my fault as a reader because Martin went out of his way to obscure the most interesting parts of his storyline so he could 'shock' us with twists and turns. Maybe I'd feel differently if he bothered to include an ending to his books anymore.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Season 5 was a self inflicted wound for this series and had the fewest great scenes and the worst season long narrative in conjunction with incomprehensible character interactions. The ratings dipped appreciably and critical reviews started to become scathing against the show, in addition to some unnecessary high profile reactions to events like Sansa's consummation, which had a US Senator swearing off the show for being too gratuitous. Then HBO came out and contradicted D&D by saying that the conversation was never about if the season would be 7 seasons, but instead about how many more seasons there would film after 7.

Combine all that with D&D's clear tiring of the series, their lack of planning after the Red Wedding, and I think we have a situation where HBO is creeping its control over the series and forcing D&D into the backseat. There's no way of knowing until after this season how it'll pan out, but there are enough good moments in books 4 and 5 to flesh out season 6 with great scenes, great characters and maybe even atone for the 10 hour shitfest that was season 5. Jaime's storyline in the Riverlands is fantastic and it touches on events and characters reaching back to the first season in addition to letting us look at vengeance finally get taken against the Frey's, Tyrion ruling Mereen is a great canvas, Dany is in uncharted territory, the North rising against the Boltons and the Ironborn dynamics all could be high lights for season 6. The Kingsmoot is as good as any other scene in the series and the best possible intro for a game changer like Euron. There are downsides such as Dorne, and the fact that they're likely going to gently caress up half the above storylines, but I think there's good reason to be interested in season 6.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

The food descriptions are already pretty rare. I can't remember reading one in years.

He's right, actually, after the start of Feast for Crows there are an increasing number of descriptions about how meager the amount of food left in Westeros has become. When Brienne spends 100 pages going to some random castle she notices that the berry bushes by the one entrance have been picked clean and that the bushes were shedding their leaves before winter. When Jaime is leading his men through the Riverlands there's a scene regarding his soldiers rations and he eats a dried pear with barely any juice left in it while wishing for a crisp apple. There's also a few lines about how peasants are trying to get one last harvest before Winter sets in but Jaime knows that there won't be enough time for the plants to mature, plus in the original trilogy of books there are constant references to food supplies dwindling and there being insufficient foodstuffs to last through winter. Honestly the amount of desolation Martin wrote into books 4 & 5 is exhausting and was one of the things that turned me off the series.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

That was...the worst episode of the entire series. I can't believe that they wasted so much of their cgi budget on this hot trash and D&Ds obsession with Ramsay being Prince Perfect ruined this entire story arc. Jon Snow shouldn't be allowed to guard a loving village going by show lore.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I want to be a part of the army where my general charges 6,000 men by himself in a straight line.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

No it's good enough that it's worth reading. But you can skip all of female chapters until the second book and I found the main characters flashback chapters the worst things. The female flashbacks are fairly good and tell a much better story.

You won't finish the second book feeling unsatisfied. He's also splitting the series into 2 5 book arcs, so next year he's actually 3/5th done and will likely finish the other two within 6 years. Dude is pretty spergy, and I admire that a great deal about him.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah! And what's up with no sideburns and head of hair Tywin?! I don't even want to start going into the garbage version of Daario we wound up with. I think show Quentyn was a big improvement though.

Original Daario was surprisingly good and a waste of a great actor. I guess the hipster self insert by D & D was more important than making Daenary's scenes remotely more bearable.

GRRM has just given up on the series, hard to see it as anything but that :shrug: it'll be funny when the tv series literally begins and ends before he gets book 6 out. He destroyed his own story and he knows it.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah its really hosed up that they didnt have dany fall in love with the greasy carny and instead made him just a generic handsome guy

Original Daario was a non standard sexy and beautiful boy, objective fact. Hipster Daario is just a standard dude who will never stop trying to gently caress girls under 25.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Dongicus posted:

Preston Jacobs is canon.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

some guy on the bus posted:

As of last week, more time has passed since the release of ADWD than the time between the releases of AFOC and ADWD.
Oct 17, 2005 - July 12, 2011 = 2094 days
July 12, 2011 - Today = 2104 days

This is now the longest wait for one of his books. Discuss what this means.

grrm fat and completely ruined his story lmao

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

i like this season and skip all the negative posts so it doesn't activate the angry portion of my brain by pointing out super obvious bad points, like how everyone has a color scheme to match their alignment

Isn't the wolf Arya met supposed to be Lady? Arya says 'That's not you, the wolf from season 1 episode 2 that I threw rocks at' and then winks at the camera.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

*is dressed in shiny black*

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Trabandiumium posted:

lady got murdered by sean bean

dude lied about everything and insisted he be the one to kill the dog with no witnesses

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

episode was great. just finishing up the series gives plenty of great drama to all the scenes at this point and it's easy enough to ignore the stupidity because of the good bits

I really wanted an aerial shot of the Lannister army burning as its lines are broken by Dothraki though =/ idgaf about the loving dragon shots

also one of the best effects was when Jaime saw a group of Lannister spearmen in formation get burned then crumble away to ashes while still in formation....that owned soooo muuuch

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

the goofy looking Other carving was funny. for a second, I thought Jon Snow had simply carved those in himself. "Oh yeah, no, the Others are totally real, Khaleesi, check out this convenient wall etching" *kicks chisel aside*

That was the worst part of the episode. They were trying to rip off that moment where Gandalf shows off the Mithril in Moria but the cave didn't lend itself to the effects at all. Even the caveman drawings were stupid because they were spread out in so many different places and it really did look like Jon put them up right before he grabbed Dany. I guess they were limited by the location they chose but would it have been so hard to have a larger canvas for the ancient story that it was supposed to tell?

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I like following this thread for GoT because most posters know the story well and the TVIV thread is filled with such a ridiculous level of leaked info that it was killing my enjoyment of the show.

Does anyone who watches the 'inside the episode' interviews with D&D get overwhelmed with the feeling that those guys just don't give a flying gently caress about the show anymore? If they even did after the Red Wedding. They seem less like directors and more like two dudes reading off a call center script. It's pretty much all on the cast to really deliver the emotion and we're lucky that everyone is either good or passable. Even Jon and Dany are doing a good job this season and they're the two weakest links in the chain in terms of acting and character.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

If dragon's aren't real...how can you gently caress up how they look?

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Gilly: Sam, how do you pronounce this?

*reads from book*

P-L-O-T-D-E-V-I-C-E

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Max posted:

Yeah it was just implemented poorly when it's a question of "do I burn the guys who literally just betrayed their own allegiance to join with Cersei and are now refusing to even take the black."

Like always it would have been a cool plot option to send an interesting character to the Wall instead of just killing them off.

Dickon was just there so Bronn could laugh at the name.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Kavak posted:

I just wanna put down money on the Night's King being a load-bearing boss of some kind. His death will cause a bunch of wights and other Walkers to collapse if not all of them. It's too stupid not to happen at this point.

Is it stupid though? The White Walkers are using necromancy to animate the dead and it makes sense that destroying them would leave the animated hordes without a puppeteer and cause them to collapse. Video games are very clear about how pets work upon the casters death.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I understand the limits of budgeting but if they dedicated 20+ minutes of action budget onto Jon's 3rd failed expedition north of the wall why didn't they just use that budget to show the undead actually attacking the wall? They could have captured an undead during the attack and Dany could still have used her dragons to save the Wall and the Night King could still have killed and raised a dragon. The motivations of defending the wall against an undead attack would have been much more concrete and it's far more believable that a dragon fell in defense of the wall instead of randomly flying out into the middle of hostile terrain and getting one shotted. The entire back half of the season fell apart because of the stupidity of that quest and it was honestly really close to being good :shrug:

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Speaking of Littlefinger's death though, I think it's dumb and bad that Sansa isn't the one who executes him. A Stark in Winterfell, the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword and all that. Arya walking up and doing some weird ninja poo poo doesn't have a satisfying feel like Sansa hanging him probably would have. Still a good scene though because of LF.

I never thought of that bit of brilliance....what a missed opportunity that was extremely obvious considering season 7's nostalgia kick. I hated that scene completely and LF should have been killed off rather than wasted adding 'tension' to season 7.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

The most glaring version of this was whatever the gently caress they did with Jorah. He gets greyscale, a death sentence in the series, for some reason in season 5. Gets banished for like a third time from Essos, and then gets cured by Sam to do...what exactly? Just be another warm body in Jon's venture North? He may make some meaningful sacrifice or *something* next season, but then, why cure the greyscale, what was the purpose of this?

Something definitely got left in the writer's room on that storyline.

There are highly contagious diseases that have been set up to spread wildly and kill off huge portions of the population in the books. Connington has greyscale, Shireen brought it to the Wall and Essos has the Pale Mare that has flared up. It's clearly a major component of the book plot but it was likely chopped down to 'Jorah gets it saving Tyrion and then gets better' because it was a heavy handed and honestly unnecessary and it's utterly unnecessary in the show.

Not that it makes 'Literally having your plagued skin sliced off your body and then you're fine after some sleep and breakfast' any better.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sam should use that paste he made on the undead to bring them back to life, stuff seems legit.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Who on earth is dumb enough to buy that poo poo? don't these people get that they just encouraging gurm to be even lazier? what motivation will he have to write TWOW if people just throw money at him all the goddamn time?

With that said, I'll let you know if it's any good.

poo poo like this is so there can be a new 'got book' for the holidays and people buy it for each other without any merit if its good

RC Cola posted:

Years ago someone made a gif that was dany saying mother of dragons all strong willed and then it cut to drogan loving her soggy style. Does anyone have this?

asking for a friend tia

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

George R.R. Markov posted posted:

Syrio's stick came whistling up and rang against his helm. "I am Syrio Forel, and you will name your child after me." Dany smiled. "My son has his name, but I will if I have to, we'll see how you feel." Jon trembled. "I will never father a bastard," he said carefully.

It honors all characters and provides satisfying closure, I'm done with the series now.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are plenty of characters Dotrice did really well, even his pouty Arya becomes adorable after a while, but nothing excuses racist chinese caricature missandei.

Dotrice was an old british guy, right? That would at least explain it. He probably grew up looking at literal maps of the British empire owning much of the world and asia was labeled 'The Orient'.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I bet you can’t make money off anything but the core series.

I'm shocked that it is even making it to the end. I'm not sure the show would survive two more seasons.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

who is even going to watch this show in 2019

pretty much the only entertaining thing can be the sheer spectacle of a massive budget undead battle at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I will admit though, the Night King dying off screen halfway through the season and then Euron becoming the big bad of out nowhere and dying in a blast of wildfire because Drogon is an idiot is an amazingly hilarious twist.

I consider it cannon.