Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

What changed?

Roose verbally bitchslaping Ramsay and ordering him to trade Theon for Moat Cailin.

Tryion (thinks he) sends Shae away to safety in Pentos after dumping her in the cruellest way possible.

Tyrion sets up Jaime's left-handed sword training, only with Bronn because, well, poor Wilko :(.

Brienne and Jaime at the Purple Wedding.

No sign of Penny.

Tommen's now like 16 or something.

Joffrey dies in Jaime's arms instead of him hearing about it second-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nothus posted:

Remember: He's not your bitch!

No, but Gaiman apparently is his now. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mkay0 posted:

Looked at not a blog for first time in a while, GURM is pimping some magician at his theater.

Can you imagine if it were your job to he part of his publishing house? The show is getting white hot and is HBO's biggest ever. ASoIaF is basically a 100 million dollar project now, and he is loving around with some stupid magician.

At a certain point, aren't we talking about enough money that someone needs to really apply real pressure to GURM?

Nope. They only manged to get Dance out within months of the show premiering because his editor pushed the panic button and fired the manuscript off to the printer without the ending GRRM totally had 100% written out and it was so awesome you guys, honest, no really.

ASoIaF was already a multi-million dollar project prior to Game of Thrones and not even that was enough to leverage him away from "football, cons, and WILDCARDS".

I think as of the Night's King reveal, everyone everywhere just sort of accepted that the show is guaranteed to overtake the books now by the end of next season. That made it suddenly plausible. Even GRRM has shifted away from saying he thinks the books will precede the show now to saying the books should precede the show, ideally. As in it's not in his control to decide otherwise anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think someone else mentioned it months ago, but Stoneheart doesn't really work from an actor/television production perspective either.

You're dragging Michelle Fairley away from other projects for up to 9 months (every year, if she's a character with staying power), caking her in heavy prosthetics and make up that take hours to apply and remove each day and then just have her stand around silently and face act for the rest of her time in the series. And if there's one thing GoT and 24 have taught me, it's that you don't hire a woman with a voice like her's and then don't give her a speaking part.

I think D&D know where Stoneheart's thread ends and what her total impact on the series is and they've decided it wasn't worth brining Michelle Fairley back and subjecting her to all that for something that didn't have a meaningful payoff.

Now watch Lady Stoneheart show up in the first frame of the first episode of season 5 and never leave...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Holy crap, Emilia Clarke makes the best faces

It's a sneak preview of her Emmy award winning "desert diarrhea disaster" scene from the end of next season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

various cheeses posted:

He probably hasn't had time to, since he's so busy writing.

He's contracted out the GoT writers room to finish the books for him. They alternate between writing a show episode and writing a book chapter while he just sits in a corner watching them, breathing heavily. :ssh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aurain posted:

I'm sorry, but it's a fact that this is the best ASOIAF fan-art.

I was actually disappointed they didn't pay homage to this in The Bear and the Maiden Fair. I kept waiting for NCW to give Gwendoline Christie the "you comin' or what? :mrgw:" poo poo-eating grin, but it never happened and I have been a sad shell of a man every day since.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Saeka posted:

Jaime Lannister sends his regards.

"HEY! Am I late for the wedd--oh..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

10 years between book 3 and 4 is the actual number, since book 4 was split in half. And that was before all the side distractions. So I'd say 10 years is a minimum number for a full book, and I think we can agree that more than 1 full novel will be required to wrap this thing up. I think 3 is a minimum number.

There is simply no way he can finish this series at his current pace. It would be another 30 years, and not trying to be mean, but I don't think he is gonna see 93.

And even then, Dance was probably still a full year off from actually being "finished" when it was pushed out the door in a panic by his editor without the actual ending just to get anything ASoIaF-related on the shelves before the TV show premiered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

ay boss

What's the backstory to this (the unphotoshopped version)? Because that's almost as great a picture as that shot of a seething Robert Picardo snapped by "he who shall not be named"* moments after said ex-goon straight up told him something along the lines of "Voyager was one lovely rear end TV show, but you were great on it! :haw:".

*That was Aatrek who did that, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

"Brienne's Journey" A real time walking simulator lets you live out Brienne's exciting quest to locate a "girl of three and ten!". Travel from City to Towne to other City in this expanded and ultra realistic 3D version of Westeros. With your trusty companion Pod at your side, you will:

-Walk
-Forage
-Make a Fire
-Sleep
-Meet exciting travelers like yourself and glare at them, including:
--Nimble Dick Crabb
--Barefoot Priest
--Lost Soldiers of Wars long past
--Not Sansa

All in REAL TIME!

Your Journey starts in Kings Landing, and will take you almost the whole way to Saltpans, across the wonderful world of Westeros.

Does that include the optional Sandor Clegane boss fight?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I read that as "Georgie's passed."

Apparently The Interview was loving garbage anyway.

Also, :lol:, GRRM got major media outlets to actually quote his LiveJournal. In 2014. Holy gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kellanved posted:

Wait wait wait, Ty is writing books now? Managed to get out of the basement eh?

Ty made a deal with the devil when he was 20: ten years under the lash of GRRM, serving his every harrowing want, and then he would be a published author in his own right.

And Satan gets his soul, but that's pittance compared to "the tutelage". :devil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I still don't understand what everyone's so worked up about in this thread. The Winds of Winter is totally coming.

It's called Game of Thrones Season 6, and it'll be here in 2016, whether GRRM likes it or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And I imagine that's why the HBO show is trying to strip out, simplify, and speed up as many plots as it can. GRRM told them how it all ends, but he didn't tell them how the gently caress they'd be getting there, so they need to build the bridge using whatever they can because GRRM can't help them any more beyond the broad strokes.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Those people still exist. So do the fans who want HBO to drag AFFC/ADWD over three seasons. A lot of them also want GOT to end with a feature-length movie, possibly even a trilogy. GURM wants all of these things.

He was also pushing hard for HBO to do a Dunk & Egg detour season (or three) to cover his rear end until the HBO brass publicly said "no prequels, no movies, no filler, no hiatus", and that shut his rear end up about that really quickly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think the closest I've seen in to a situation like this is the first Full Metal Alchemist series. The producers know going into it that they were adapting a manga that was only half finished and wouldn't be done any time soon, so when they got the point where there was no more story, they just said gently caress it and made up their own ending and never looked back.

The key difference between that and this was that Hiromu Arakawa kept writing and eventually finished the story, which was then adapted into yet another anime. GRRM is a) probably not going to finish his story, and b) no one in their right mind is going to take a crack at adapting his ending when they have the show's ending to satisfy them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
He just kept saying "burn them all."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I wonder what the NSA thinks of what is written of the Winds of Winter, because I am sure there must be someone there who decided to do that kind of snooping in the down time.

Joke's on them. GRRM writes on a black-and-green pre-internet DOS box. Literally. That's what he actually writes on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

His publisher probably doesn't.

Though that implies his publisher has any more of TWoW than the sample chapters they already do...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
GRRM's editor going passive aggressive is just great. You really get the sense that EVERYONE up Bantam Books' chain of command is just beyond done with his poo poo. (and praying those HBO residuals don't dry up any time soon because they're never getting another complete novel out of him :v:)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM's a bit of an rear end:

God forbid someone squeeze out the tiniest of spoilers in the 5+ years between books.

Goddamn. This makes me wonder what kind of pissant antics he's going to start pulling come mid-May and in 2016 once the show moves beyond ADwD/AFfC and starts going into legit spoiler territory.

Something tells me it's going to be magically petulant. :munch:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SaviourX posted:

Also, from one of the best shows:

I literally did a spittake when I saw that one. Oh, why does Parks & Rec have to go this year? :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope he goes before Dany and she just has him killed offhand. "Oh you're that midget son of the rear end in a top hat who betrayed my father and whose brother murdered my father? Feed him to the dragons." It'd be worth it just so his goddamn cult of fans would lose their poo poo. No great showdown or anything. Just killed off like a chump because his luck ran out. Everyone wants him to be the Valonquar and kill Cersei but that's going to be Jaime if she's gonna get killed off by family.

Production spy photos for Season 5 show Tryion's somehow worked his way into Dany's inner circle by the time Danzak's Pit happens, so I wouldn't hold my breath of that ever happening.

Mainly because the show is going to be series canon from here on out whether GRRM likes it or not. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was said before the show even started that Grrm told the show runners how everything was gonna end just in case they had to move ahead. They're finishing the series with our without him, and since they will be done before him their ending will be canon and grrm can just write his little fanfic in his own time.

Edit:
Here ya go, before this spirals into a retarded derail.
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/216749

And there's the historical irony of the whole thing; after years of vehement disgust of fan fiction, GRRM will end up writing what is essentially an alternate universe/alternate ending fan fiction of the most popular TV show of all time which probably >20% of its total audience will ever read.

From here on out the only difference between GRRM and JamiexBrienne420* on FanFiction.net is that GRRM will get royalties for whatever he writes that's set in the GoT world. ...And JamiexBrienne420* will finish their 400,000 word fan ending to the series before GRRM will.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, Jon's moral delima throughout the "trilogy" is apparently "I want to bang my sister soooo hard, but its wrong because she's my sister," and is apparently resolved with "oh wait, she's really my cousin. Well okay then! :mario:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

I think the book will come out in 2016/17 for exactly 1 reason: sales. There is no way his publisher is going to miss the cresting wave of the HBO series. They will wrap up whatever he has, and ship it out.

Hell, it's what they did for Dance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Potooweet posted:

Apparently in the original manuscript, Tyrion defeats Robb's army, Robb dies, and then Tyrion goes North and burns Winterfell to the ground. Cat reunites with Bran and Arya, and they all flee north of the Wall.

After that Jaimie murders the poo poo out of everyone, frames Tyrion for everything, and seizes the throne.

So I guess "Jaimie is an rear end in a top hat, no wait he's actually pretty cool." was a late development. Turns out he was just supposed to be a dick. Ned was right about everything!

I for one cannot wait for the retro-hip "what if" comics that'll be published in 10 to 15 years based off of GRRM's original trilogy outline, like that adaption of George Lucas's original draft of A New Hope that Dark Horse did last year.

And just for shits and giggles, give it to the same dudes who are doing the hilaribad current comic adaptation of ASoIaF.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/utrz

This is half the reason I read this thread, just to post this when it's asked for. The other half is watching Der Gurm self-destruct, naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Come now, how can we forget the 100% GRRM-canon ending to the epic A Song of Ice and Fire novel series?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

He said no script this season because he's got a book to write, maybe.

And funnily enough, Wikipedia lists AFFC and ADWD for Season 5 under it's Adaptation Schedule sub-heading on the show's article page. Season 6 literally lists TBD as it's "Novel Adapted" entry.

They know...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dany retakes Westeros and burns the Others and the surviving Starks all that the same time, then trips and falls face-first into the Iron Throne on her first time ascending to it, killing herself instantly via impalement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nate Silver employs people to sit around and speculate on when Bantam hits the panic button again and "publishes" whatever there is of TWoW that they manage to get their hands on.

Wow.

Still, if they're right with the 2017 pub date, it'll make for a hell of a tie-in promo with the show: "Celebrate the series finale of the most popular show in the history of television... by reading a prose recap of a bunch of stuff that happened two years ago!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Potooweet posted:

Absolutely no one realistically thinks that Ned could have ended up king after the Rebellion. I think the only person who even mentions it is Cersei. Robert at least had a Targaryean grandmother to give his reign a fig leaf of legitimacy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only person who thought Ned might have taken over was Jaime, and I think that was just him recounting events from his PTSD haze after he killed Aerys and the "let Robert be king of the ashes" messengers to the Pyromancers. And even then I think he was just confounded that Ned ordered him off the Iron Throne and then actually stood around in the throne room and waited for Robert and Tywin to arrive rather than sit on it himself.

Though it's ultimately just another example of Jaime being Jaime, not thinking things through to their end and being really dumb at politics (his prowess as a warrior and ability to manipulate people notwithstanding).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

This has got to be a retcon too, unless GRRM is really, really bad at description. I imagined it only being slightly bigger than the show throne.

Every piece of tangentially GRRM-approved art depicted it as being something close to the show Throne, a big gently caress off chair made of swords. Several editions even had the book Throne on their covers or insets. And it was actually tiny compares to the show Throne.

I never once got the impression reading the books that Joffrey was some 30 feet in the air shouting at everyone from the cockpit of his battlemech made of swords like that one picture from last year depicts.

I'm calling retcon too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ross posted:

Gaah this is going to happen (someone is going to dragon-warg) and it's going to be so stupid :eng99:

I've always maintained that Bran is going to dragon-warg eventually. That's what Bloodraven means by "you will never walk again, but you will fly". Bran is going to overwrite Drogon's rear end in a top hat personality (or Victarion's dragon horn mind wipe of him), and that's how Dany will finally gain control over him.

Or desert shits, whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I would amuse me to no end if GRRM Weiss and Benioff pulled the "gently caress it, everyone's back, everyone's a zombie" cord for the final season like LOST did, just to see the amount of fan heads that would explode over it. And to see if people would go "well, that's not how it'll happen in THE BOOKS, just you wait" only there'll be no more books

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's Stannis's letters of intent to the lords and ladies of Westeros: the prints that were promised. Stannis IS Azor Ahai all along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The one that's got me the most intrigued is Brienne and Pod in the snow. You think the show would throw us a giant gently caress off curve ball and just send them to The Wall instead of "I'm looking for a maiden of 4-and-shut uuuuuuuuup :byodood:"?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arbite posted:

The real question is why did they cut it down to three?

Less Sand Snake salaries mean more cash for VFX artists to make dragons and giant golden harpies falling off of pyramids and maybe even the loving Wall tumbling down... if they get to that this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

I can't imagine the reaction you guys had when you first read "Meanwhile, back at the wall..." in '05.

I first read it back in 2009. Years in GRRM time are longer than they are for the rest of us.