Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Asimov and Frank Herbert also (in)famously died with their life's works unfinished. It is, honestly, a sadly common thing for sci-fi/fantasy writers to bite it before they are able to finish their tales.
That said, I can't think of any of these writers who had the work ethic of GRRM. And, as has been pointed out, a lot of these writers, unlike GRRM, were busy fighting illness, raising families, fighting in wars, or otherwise doing lots of other things besides getting fat(ter) and blogging about football.

Asimov was a goddamn writing machine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov_bibliography_(chronological)

He was once asked what he would do if told he had only 30 minutes to live and replied "Type faster".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I'm betting one more book get's pushed out in the next year or two and then he is done with writing more*.

*Except for yet more volumes of fake history backstory that nobody asked for. I guess he really is the 'American Tolkein'.

Edit: It's just occurred to me. When he dies we really are going to get multiple volumes of 'unfinished tales', containing all the cut chapters and revisions aren't we. It's like he's channelling old JRR at this point.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 20, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So what you're saying is he's channelling JRRT badly.

Checks out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's only two good books, and they're some of the duller stuff Fitzgerald and Dickens wrote

lol at recommending Le Guin and Zelazny

Lord of Light is great though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dangerllama posted:

It’s like when I read LoTR in my twenties, after having read a bunch of Terry Brooks and Robert Jordan. I had to stop myself several times when I reflexively thought, “what is all this stereotypical bullshit?”

Holy poo poo. Imagine reading the Sword of Shanhara, and then reading LoTR. That must have been :psyduck:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I hope it's weird and x-filesish like season 1.

No dabbling their toes in the water like they did with the Yellow King stuff last time. Go full on gonzo Lovecraftian halfway in.

It's set in the Ozarks, let's have some Mi-Go turn up.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 2, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Just give us the Dunk and Egg story at Winterfell, George, for gently caress’s sake.

You know what, if he just wrote that one story I'd be "Ok. Fair enough George. We'll call it a draw. You just procastinate forever and I'll just watch whatever dumb ending the TV show eventually goes with." I just really want that one story.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Winds of Winter drops at 2 minutes to midnight tommorow. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I started reading (a friends copy) of Fire and Blood.

Got about a 100 pages in before I realised.

Wait. Why the gently caress am I reading 700 pages of fake history.

No sane answer coming to mind, I have abandoned this endeavour.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm guessing 'Guy wanders in, all in black, on his own, who nobody knows, without money, and no clear explanation for what he's doing' is going to be a little suspicious.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sephyr posted:

I wish I liked China Mieville's stuff better, because he seems to be a cool, chill guy.

Wasn't there some pretty unpleasent #MeToo type allegations about CM a while back.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Real world. An Aunt marrying a Nephew would historically have been considered perfectly acceptable in a Royal Marriage.

An avunculate marriage that finally ended a massive, multi-sided years long civil war would be also be regarded as a massive plus by everyone around.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 13, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

All these spin-offs happening are predicated on a triumphant conclusion to GoT leaving the fans begging for more.

Welp. :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Simply run down to the nearest money tree, pull that fat cash off the branches and buy a house.

Bing bong, so simple.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Randarkman posted:

So, yeah I give it the benefit of the doubt that all this thousands of years and society and technology seemingly having stagnated for thousands of years may just what it seems to us because the characters in the story have a very flawed perception of what the past looked like (or how long ago things happened) and don't ever imagine that it really looked any different from their present day experience.

I went to a museum a while back and they had all these great religious paintings that are wonderfully anachronistic.

Roman soldiers looking like medieval knights, important figures dressed in medieval finery etc etc.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Looking at the map, Westeros is more of a big UK than a full continent. https://brilliantmaps.com/westeros-google-map/

Shape-wise it's the mainland UK mirrored North to South at The Neck.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I thought that it was a plot point, at least in the books, that magic (including the Red Priests) wasn't really working till the Dragons returned.

Which is why Thoros used to have to fake setting his sword on fire using oil and a light and was incredibly surprised when his prayers suddenly resurrected Beric Dondarion.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fortunately F&SF writers past 70 have no well-know tendency for their writing to become horrible parodies of their younger selves work.

*Checks notes*

:ohdear:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Might have picked up on the Wight from it's use in Dungeons & Dragons. Don't know if he played that specifically but he was definitely into Superhero RPG's. Most of the orginal Wild Cards characters were from his Superworld campaign.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel bad for Preston because now that the show is over he can’t put out nearly as many videos and probably needs to get a real job.

I had to look him up.

Two hours of video in six parts on "How I would Fix Game of Thrones Season eight". :ohdear:

That's practically a cry for help.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You should make a six part video exploring your feelings.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

There’s a whole thread devoted to the books. It skews to a younger audience and can be quite long winded but Jordan was a good writer. It’s been pretty good on my reread I’ve been doing but it’s definitely fantasy.

'Quite long winded' in the sense that stage 4 pancreatic cancer is 'Quite bad'. You're underselling it a bit.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

I never pictured Tom Clancy as a gamer. But I guess that's good my dad used to always read his books and he hated video games and rpgs.

Wasn't the videogame though, although It did get years later adaptations. The super-groggy cardboard chits, maps and rolled dice Harpoon.

I can totally see a still living/writing 2020 Clancy going nuts over Command: Modern Naval Air Operations though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

*Six months ago, somewhere in a secret bioweapon lab*

'Dammit! There's got to be someway to get him to finish the next book.............waiiiiiiittttttt a minute'

*Leans forward and deliberately knocks over vial marked Bio-Hazard*

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TERFherder posted:

well that's what I was trying to do here.. :( guess it didn't come across

It's entirely possible it did to everyone else. But I was just oblivious to the obvious. See also - My entire life history.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Goons gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my permaban. I shall take no waifu, host no sites, father no memes. I shall wear no deodorant and win no respect from my peers. I shall live and die by my shitposting. I am the source of the dorkness. I am the Tbagger of the balls. I am the bitch of that absolute fucker GRRM. I pledge my life and boner to this dead gay forum, for this night and all the nights to come."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not sure what social circles you run in but that show still gets lauded like crazy. Though I think more people are coming to accept that the ending cut out the way it did because the writers couldn't think of an actual ending that wouldn't have been a mess.

I never saw the problem they had coming up with an ending.

Just unambiguously kill him. Handle it like so many other hits in the show. Follow the shooter as he drops the gun and walks unmolested out of the resturant as the shocked family scream, you know just like every other time that's happened, that's the point. He get's in the car, tells someone it's done, roll credits.

or

Go full Goodfellas, show Tony as a divorced nobody in witness protection, his life as he knew it over.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s his own drat fault for going too far in expanding the breadth of the story in the last two half books instead of actually advancing the main plot lines toward a resolution.

Yeah, if he dumped the Quentyn failquest, Iron islands succession story, Tyrion and the fake heir and just got Dany moving back across the ocean and concentrated on Westeros and the White Walkers, i.e. the stuff people actually cared about, he'd have probably (well possibly, it's still GRRM we're talking about here) have finished by now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If he'd added 5 years to the age of all the kids right from day one, he wouldn't have had the "I need everyone to be 5 years older" issue as well.

If he gets rid of the timejump he needed for his story to work as originally conceived then it's not a colossal writers block when he's actually writing the story and OMG realises that ain't gonna fly and he needs to rethink stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's some GoT theory crafter guy on Tumblr whose name I can't remember because they haven't posted in forever (I think the bad tv ending might have given them a stroke). They had some pretty coherent and plausible theorizing on the magical workings in the books and how there seemed to be a impending "oh poo poo" moment with Euron doing some Eldritch stuff as well as the other forces in motion with the dragons, Others, Faceless Men, etc. But even if GRRM did have some larger conflict brewing regarding the various magical factions I think he's lost the thread and we'll never see it anyway.

Sounds like Poor Quentyn https://poorquentyn.tumblr.com/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You cowardly bastards. If I had to read all ten of those loving Mazalan books, you should have to as well. :colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 8, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cardiac posted:

You should read Bakker.

Even I gave up on Bakker after the first trilogy

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There was that big fight where the Free Folk try to take the wall from the Watch. I remember that being pretty decent.

Seconding Hardhome was good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

GRRM already gets to live in the mental prison that is seeing his beloved series fall from stellar heights to craterous depths with all the speed of light falling into a black hole and be irreparably marred because he sold it to a pair of incompetent con artists for a sack of beans.

George Ronald Reuel Martin lives in hell. And it’s loving sweet.

The show immediately started to go off the rails when it left the books behind and those hacks had to improvise from vague hints.

If he'd actually finished writing it in the years he had to do so, chances are they'd cobble together a perfectly acceptable ending based on that.

No-one to blame but himself.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ccs posted:

I get massive projects can have unforeseen delays, but it's pretty clear a lot of these authors aren't really making the best use of their time.

I'm assuming the massive infusion of money he got from the TV deal and the explosion in book sales destroyed his incentive to buckle down and write rather than just gently caress around doing whatever he liked. Honestly :same: in that situation, but just admit that you've lost interest and they'll never be done or finish it. Pick a lane.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Eh, he just edits those though doesn't he, and other authors do the actual work of writing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kylaer posted:

And yet, still, I am tempted to read them. Thoughts? :dawkins101:

Search your feelings Kylaer, you know what you must do.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I do like the way they're going so 70's marvel in the next phase. The Eternals, Black Knight, even Shang-Chi (Master of Kung Fu!).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I walked into a bookstore in Greenwich (London) years back and Lindsey Davis, author of the Falco series (Detective novels set in Flavian era Rome) was doing a book signing for her latest. Not a soul seemed interested, worse because (as I happend to know) she lived in Greenwich and this was her local book shop. The staff were practically wincing every time they looked at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m surprised he got there at all with how big he is.

He's an obese elderly man, who can afford extremely good heathcare. He could have another 20 years of procrastination in him.