Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I looked but haven't seen it mentioned, sorry if it was:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136596-Game-of-Thrones-Author-Admits-Pressure-to-Finish-Books-Affect-Him

quote:

George R.R. Martin says he's "given up" on answering when the A Song of Ice and Fire novels will be finished, and confirms the pressure from both HBO and fans gets under his skin.

More loving whining.

quote:

Obligation is an odd word, I don't know if I would go with that word. I certainly feel a desire to finish the book.

Well that sure is good to hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Not a drop of sympathy for the fat gently caress. He knew exactly what was coming for years and now he gets to pay the price. And so do we-- what started as a seriously above-average fantasy epic that could have really resonated for a long time to come is now all but consigned to end on a middling and disappointing note whether it's through the pallid echo of a show adaptation or GRRM every plopping his fat rear end in front of a desk and grinding out the rest of the books.

But at least he has a desire to finish the next book! That's something!

But really, that seriously pissed me off the most. Okay sure you're an artist and we don't deserve anything and blah blah we've heard it all before. But you know millions are waiting for this book, you couldn't buy your dumb loving theater without those fans, but hey, you have the desire to finish the next book! Sweet! I'm glad you have desire to work on the only thing you'll be remembered for you fat gently caress. BTW loved you at Comicon, really grinding that book out!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/weird-al-yankovic-politely-begged-george-r-r-martin-to-get-back-to-writing/

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kavak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoh_2nF-Rxs

So flashback sequences or bizarro Stoneheart?

Funeral?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

OK so I know this is going to sound far-fetched but I have insider information on the next book. First though I need to tell you how I came by it since this is the internet and we're all skeptics here and why believe some dude fat dude like me.

So here's what happened. The other day with my mom's friend Julie I went to party where she knew the people and I didn't. Julie knew a friend of the host, though I'm not sure how exactly, something to do with her ex's pot dealer or something. Who cares. The important thing is at some point I meet this girl named Laura who described herself as "open minded" like a minute after talking with her and like she flipped a switch I'm totally on, 120%. Also she's a project manager at Intel. Anyway we were talking about the usual poo poo and she then asks me if I watch TV, specifically HBO, and I'm all, "it's not TV; it's HBO" and then regretting it because it's not like HBO is paying me to shill for them and only tools quote ads even if only ironically because 90% of ads are already ironic anyway because otherwise nobody would know to buy Mountain Dew right. But Laura laughs because she's vapid and I say "huh?" and anyway then we're talking about Game of Thrones and she's like "when is the next book George???!" and I'm like "there's not going to be a next book" and she laughs and then peeps out a quite "well, actually..." and then pauses. Anyway I'm prodding her for details but she's not giving them up but I keep prodding and nudging and finally she says her cousin works for George himself. "Doing what exactly" I say and she's all "all the stupid poo poo" and anyway next thing we're in somebody's bedroom that is covered in Dead Kennedy posters (like, new ones, not old posters like from the 80s or whatever) making out and then like doing it doggy style though since I'm nearly 300 pounds and she's a petite 100 max it's more like a hippo doing a badger right? And I'm like "say 'do me in the butt'" and she's like "gross, no way!" and I'm like "c'mon, just say it!" and I can tell she's rolling her eyes though I can't see her face and afterwards I'm like "I thought you were open minded?" and she says "huh?" and then says "fine" and I'm like instantly powered on again. But she rolls her eyes again and says "Noooo not that" and then she tells me she'll tell me three things about the next book but only if I promise not to tell anyone. So I say "I promise" still disappointed that she isn't really that open minded and not really all that powered on anymore. A little on though, maybe like 80%. Anyway here are the three things:

1) There most definitely will be a next book and the show will not "pass" the books. The publisher will force a book out. It may be terrible and unedited like the last two but they've got too much $$$ to say "gently caress it".
2) There will be a new POV character named "Vesse" who is from the desert and works for a mysterious man named "Valter Vight". The mysterious man has this new magical drug that is totally taking over the Seven Kingdoms, like 3 out of 10 people are totally addicted to it and it's called "Vlooveth" (not sure about the spelling). Anyway it's totally wrecking havoc and Margery gets addicted and drowns Ophelia-style. Anyway I guess this POV character Vesse is there to show further deterioration of society blah blah.
3) A peculiarly large portion of the book will be devoted to the further humiliation of Cersei (Laura said 75%) though Cersei won't have her own POV and there are a ton of typos, like half the time Cersei's name is written as "Lena" and that her cousin has to keep doing "Find/replace" commands to fix.

Anyway you heard it from me first and also "open minded" doesn't always mean what you think it it means.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nkZ-Y2XhU

The adaptation of the original series

So excited for the game.

Also, in that past article:

quote:

The 65-year old bestselling author further elaborates on Digital Spy (via BeautyWorldNews.com) that he is taking his time to finish his draft.
"I've given up making any prediction on that. I'm just writing it and when it's done, it'll be done."

Other reports suggest, moreover, that part of the reason for the delay is Martin's health.
Kdramastars reports that the author needs to keep his health up which has been suffering lately because of the stress that comes with writing "Winds of Winter."

That poor boy. Maybe he needs to rest in his own theater a lil longer in between 'Con appearances. Stop traveling everywhere you idiot. I'm really starting to believe that GRRM just don't give a gently caress. If I was his age, as gluttonous, and making millions from someone else using my work.. poo poo can we blame him? I'd do it easily. Let HBO make the ending, then write that with some more details of food and there you go.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

re: Bakker: Is he the black demon sperm guy?

e: err demon black sperm guy?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 26, 2014

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

OhYeah posted:

I don't know where to begin. The overall drop in quality in both the books and the TV show is astounding... in every aspect. I'm a newcomer to the ASOIAF world and the first three books and the first three seasons are just so much better than what came after.

Here are the things that I absolutely hated about this episode and the season in general:

- Stannis burning his daughter, getting obliterated in the battle of Winterfell. One of the main characters has his entire arc turned on its head and completely destroyed in just two episodes. WTF? That's got to be some kind of record, right?
- Myrcella dieing. I'm pretty sure that Cersei's prophecy foreshadows that both Tommen and Myrcella will die, but I was hoping it will be done in a dramatic way that somehow advances the plot, in other words their deaths have to be meaningful to the story. Myrcella's death in the TV series is just a big :wtc:. Literally a stone's throw from Dorne's shore? With Trystane, who is madly in love with Myrcella, on board? To write her death in this manner takes some serious mental retardation.
- Sansa's arc going nowhere in the end. Jumped off the walls, maybe died, but who gives a gently caress, right?

So the whole buildup to the fall of the Boltons in the hands of the other Northern lords and Stannis is pretty much completely absent in the TV series. The situation in the Riverlands has gone nowhere in the books and was completely ignored in the TV series as well. The of the main storylines which the readers have been desperately waiting to get some closure on remain either completely ignored or turned on its head. Instead we get Dorne... twice. I honestly thought it would be hard to make the Dorne arc more inconsequantial than in the books, but oh boy did they manage it.

The worrying part is that GRRM might've actually cooperated with the show writers to make sure that the key events are more or less in sync, which means we get hosed twice, first by the TV show and then by GRRM himself.

What are the good things we can take away from this fiasco of a season finale? Maybe Stannis isn't completely done yet, his death was off camera and that should always make one suspicious. Cersei's walk of shame was really well done. Kit Harington trolling everyone that Jon is really dead is also quite droll, but I have a feeling that once the next season or the next book (lol) hits, we will wish he would've stayed dead.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how Tyrion and Varys manage to get Mereen under their control. Other than that I only dread what is in store for us as fans.

:qq:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just look at this creep. You have one of the best TV series going and you can't be assed to finish a book in over a decade. Absolute Fucker indeed.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Yeah, I think that the main assault had to happen in order for the sneak attack to work. You'd like to think that most of the Unsullied were in the castle rather than on the boats. I'd love to see Dothraki and dragons take out the rest of the Lannisters and Tarley.

That's next episode.

e:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 3, 2017

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Sunday's episode has the first good and cool thing in years happen, when bronn shoots a dragon through the eye with a ballista.

It's not drogon, which would imply the one rider one dragon thing isn't true (in the show at least)

wat, it's Drogon and he's shot in his side not his eye.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

kcroy posted:

What was his dealio anyway - he was a wight, but not a wight? how'd that happen.

He said he was in the process of being turned to a WW when the Children stabbed him with dragonglass. Is that right? It's what I seem to remember but it opens up so many other questions my head hurts.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

kcroy posted:

ok thanks, and yeah, that opens up a bunch of other questions.

Looked it up to check:

quote:

Until the season-six episode “Blood of My Blood,” that is. In that episode, we learned that Benjen Stark was stabbed in the gut with a sword of ice by a White Walker, but the Children of the Forest intervened by shoving a handy blade of dragonglass into his chest to prevent the magic from taking hold. (Someday, we need a dragonglass 101 tutorial: How can it turn you into a White Walker, prevent you from becoming a wight, and kill a White Walker, all in one. Is there anything it can’t do?)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

I still don't understand why the 2019 thing is surprising anyone at all. At the end of season 6 they said they 7 & 8 would be shorter, and they'd need longer to make them because of CGI. Then they took 18 months to put out season 7. Why would anyone expect less than 18 months for season 8?

This.

Although the time is much longer between seasons, I feel GOT 7 - 8 is like Breaking Bad 5a - 5b. I'm NOT talking quality wise, but the people invested in the show are going to watch, their anticipation waiting this long to finally see the end, the ratings will be huge.

I know we'll all cynical here, me too, but there's no way the last 6 episodes don't smash ratings, torrents, or whatever the gently caress.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Well you're in luck because HBO's greenlit four GoT spin-offs to kill us all slowly with once the mothership wraps next year. I will be there for every second of--BAHAHAHAHA no gently caress this series, I'm out once the final Big Head, Little Head card pops up on screen at the end of 8x06.

Uuuugh, just like Star Wars. Cause we all wanted a Star Wars movie every 6 months, right

right?

uugh

e: every 6 months for the next loving century
e2: months may not be factually accurate but feels that way.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pash posted:

What about how the other day Rothfuss posted a blog apologizing for being so slow at writing... his blog.

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2018/08/a-blog-if-only-barely/

I just.. can't with humans anymore.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Pure speculation but maybe they were waiting for the prequel show so they could repeat what they did with Dance, and they've spent the past two years dumbfounded at just how much goodwill and cultural cachet was evaporated by that last season.

humanity's biggest fault is having empathy for lifes biggest fuckers.

'but maybe..' no. just no.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

When did Ty stop being gurm's editor or whatever?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TERFherder posted:

I liked the bittersweet aspect of that relationship; that Jon couldn't be sure it wasn't his arrow that killed her. And that at some level it didn't matter. They each did what they had to do, and this was how it turned out, and they got to have some fun along the way, and isn't that basically life? Love and death all rolled up together. They turned a touching moment of character development into... whatever that atrocity was.

I couldn't even bring myself to watch the last two episodes. I had to miss them for reasons, and I couldn't avoid a few spoilers. Hearing what happened drained all my desire to see how it ended.

What, wait really? No way, you seriously gotta watch the last two.

I'll even gift you something from here if you watch them and livepost it, well uhh $10 max I dunno I never gifted anyone anything :toxx:, you must watch it and die inside.

How can you skip the last two?? COURAGE.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

gently caress grrm

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love these stupid clickbait sites. But honestly this sounds like the normal musk/star citizen/etc mentality

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

kaworu posted:

The whole "gardening" thing seemed absurd to me at first, but when you stop and think about it, it actually kinda makes sense. I think GRRM's more of a lazy farmer than a gardener, though - he did a lot of sincere hard work in setting up the operation, plowing the fields and planting everything initially. Now he just harvests the crop every year and does the minimal amount of work for maximum payoff. Logical, in a way.

He doesn't do poo poo.

He just can't straight up admit he isn't writing anymore cause his publisher can sue him or something.

It's Chris Roberts/Musky etc.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It doesn't matter, it's all poo poo and no one cares.

Thanks D&D and GRRM for showing us the American dream

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love how it's been 10 years since ADWD but no one's mentiones it's been like whatever years since the first half of the book.

Dude hasn't been in it since Crown of Swords, and he's really just laughing in everyone's faces now for like 2 decades.

E: storm of swords? Whatever, it doesn't matter

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 13, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

All this stuff about YiTi gives off big starcitizen.dreams.txt vibes

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GRRM clearly gives no fucks, YiTi was completely made up by those two weird superfans and means nothing.

I hate the word cope now since copium etc, but I can't think of a better one. Delusion?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

Aren't the people who actually put it together pretty vile? The two hardcore fans that he basically relies on b/c he doesn't care about Westeros have done some troubling things.

Yeah the whole thing is fanfic from the westeros.org or whatever nazi couple

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'm running off the assumption that he had to split the book like other people have said, and I still stand by my theory. I actually feel a little bad for him in the sense that he has to try to work that into a whole new book. I don't feel bad for him due to the fact that he's one of those writers that likes to do zany stuff like compose on a Wordstar* that's as old as I am. Someone asked if he works with an editor and I have to wonder what it's like to have to deal with his writing process in 2021 with some of the largest entertainment corporations breathing down your neck.

*I don't know if he still does this, but I haven't seen anything to say he doesn't.

Why would you feel bad for him, he's not working anything into a whole new book. He's building castles and riding choo choo trains ffs

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Justin Credible posted:

They made an entire TV series out of his books, in between the time it took him for DwD to.. now, without the new book being completed.

The Expanse was an entire book series written, and had 2/3rds of it made into some of the best Sci-Fi ever seen, in between the time it took him to write DwD to now, with the new book not being completed.

No, no, GRRM totally gives a poo poo.

Im thinking Ty wrote the books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

Even GRRM acknowledged he should not have made the kids that young, it's an artifact from when the books were to span a much longer time (and they did, just not in universe)

bullshit. it turns him on we all know it

call it damage control

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So then why did GRRM decide to ever get into writing an epic fantasy series? I guess it didn’t seem such a daunting task when he originally envisioned it as a trilogy that would be completed by the late 90s.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I think maximum hilarity is that the book does come out, it is legitimately huge, but maintains the painfully slow meandering plot pace of the last two books so that it ends with Dany still yet to reach Westeros. Maybe the epilogue is Jon being resurrected.

it's not coming out

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We all know he gets hard thinking of sexually active kids. First look at him. Second read his books and see who he hangs out with.

and if still, still you doubt, the Mercy chapter itself should prove it. Let alone Dany and *waves hands around at everything*.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I don't, gently caress him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I do not want anymore GRRM books after reading Mercy getting ready for her Rape.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is Mercy ready for her Rape?

Grrm, Rothfuss, all them guys are so hosed up. The rapist boomer hugo league

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Ty Franck said specifically that the time for that has past, but I think his attitude would change with the amounts of zeroes that they would draw on a check. The only living author I can think of that could finish the series in their lifetime is maybe Christopher Buehlman.

Ty absolutely wrote most of the books. Just like GRRM needed the two nazi megafans to do the history books after Ty was gone.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Preston doesn't know poo poo.

GRRM has no new pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Thinking about it.. what are the actors of Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, Bronn etc even doing right now?

If they did a straight sequel with actual good showrunners I think I'd like it a lot. But just Jon? lmao no