Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1041885234860580864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

avshalemon posted:

i'm going to rape a burly swordsman

not on my watch

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

avshalemon posted:

a song of rear end and fart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Marijuana posted:

at the time, do you think even GRRM realized that these words would be the close of his series?

I think that he had planned it from the beginning.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Blind Sally posted:

GRRMs creepy fetishes are legion.

boiled nipples on a nuncle's tummy

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

VanSandman posted:

Sanderson has actually good books of his own to write.

lmao

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

is it out yet?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

is it in yet?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Proust Malone posted:

Sorry to cross the streams here but I’m halfway through the first book and all I’m feeling is that it’s a Tolkien ripoff. Does it get better or should I eject now?

it changes style but gets even worse

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

For what's it worth, I've read both LoR and WoT and Robert Jordan is clearly the better writer. I'd give Lord of the Rings a 6/10 and Wheel of Time a 8/10.

And I'm saying this as someone who normally prefers SF or non-fiction, so I'm clearly unbiased.

what on earth

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I read Wheel of Time like last year and I've already forgotten most of what happens. Had to look at the wiki to remember who the Sharans even were, lol.

I mostly enjoyed reading them at the time, but they're definitely not the pinnacle of literature. And absolutely no way that Robert Jordan is a better writer than Tolkien.

yeah a few years after the tv series crashes no one will remember wot, just like asoiaf, but new generations will still continue to read lotr and hobbit

lotr and hobbit are by no means perfect, but they are the closest thing fantasy genre has to literature

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Collateral posted:

Sharans are cousins of the Karens. So watch out.

Is it out yet?

yes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

There's also Gormenghast and some other poo poo, but I guess if you don't know something, it's automatically worse than stuff everyone knows. :v:

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah Ursula LeGuin definitely was never born in whatever hosed up time line you’re from.

they're decent too, and much better than whatever wot or asoiaf are, but not quite on tolkien's level

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

Have you actually read a book that wasn’t written for children ever?

lmao, did you get a boo-boo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the actors of the main protagonists, clarke and harrington, are dogshit actors. and it wasn't just because of the bad writing, they are like that in everything else they've been in

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

Here's a fun exercise if you haven't seen it.

Watch the trailer for Last Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

Now. There's a plot twist, try and guess what it could be.

Got it? Now go read the plot summary on Wikipedia.

is it that he's the santa claus

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

indiscriminately posted:

No, it's tedious. It discourages actually interesting discussion. No one who reads this thread is unaware that the series is delayed, delayed, delayed. Seeing the shitposts causes me to sit back and reflect, what am I doing with my life that I choose to spend a moment of thought processing the sentence "Gurm has been working on Winds of Winter hard lately by farting nonstop for months." What a drat waste!

lmao

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Octy posted:

So just finished AFfC and started ADwD... Was/does anyone think there will be any payoff to this quote?

yes, in the next book

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ccs posted:

I’m still glad the show existed as it led to certain series getting green lit that might’ve otherwise been passed over in favor of other genres. I’m enjoying His Dark Materials season 2 now.

that's the dick dorkins series right

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

benioff and weiss would be a good fit for the wheel of times series

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

just remembered that the isla vista shooter was a big fan of the books and show

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

trial by combat is the only correct way

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s going to be very funny two minutes after he croaks when they announce who is finishing the series.

its branson sanderson

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Desert Bus posted:

Jamie punched the White Walker with his magic golden hand. He was getting more experienced at that. He cut it open with his Valayrian Steel Dagger. Inside the dead Walker was a +2 Ruby of Resist Incest. "I am Mormon now." thought Jamie.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

He's incredibly funny in other people's hands. Also incredibly compelling as a dramatic actor in other people's hands as well.

lmao

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TK-42-1 posted:

Good Omens is so drat good

book yes, series no

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Collateral posted:

Thats such a shame, the other, more faithful, adaptations have been hit and miss. Pratchett's humour tends to be very hard to translate due to word play and turn of phrase

pratchett's works are unfilmable. the stuff that makes the books good doesn't work on screen

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Evil Fluffy posted:

How bad was Picard? I haven't watched it yet and I never saw much discussion online about it so I feared the worst. :ohdear:

it's awful

the first episode was more than enough

it removes all the things that made star trek interestin

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kuiperdolin posted:

Westeros is really more Renaissance/Age of Absolutism than truly medieval, except there is no gunpowder for some reason.

the word you're searching for is early modern

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

The great man theory of history is not imo very accurate. Newton was beaten to the punch on publishing the Calculcus, there's a reason we use Leibniz notation, and Darwin only published because his cousin or nephew threatened to publish virtually the same theory of evolution.

The whole idea of like "humanity has been stuck in the medieval era for XXXXXXX years" is pretty stupid tbh, human history is a history of technological progress, and while there are periods where things seemed to slide backwards, the invention of the dark ages occurred during the enlightenment in order to make their own era seem more enlightened. In fact many historians refer to the Carolingian renaissance now, due to various inventions like 3-field crop rotation that occurred smack in the middle of the "dark ages".

Without a world element holding back progress deliberately, it would occur.

And again, things like the pyramids weren't built by mass slaves. It's just a misreading of history to believe that. I'm sure there were slaves involved, but you have to plan out something like that pretty carefully and organize it.

egypt had house slaves, and sometimes they used war prisoners as slaves, but other than that they didn't have slaves. the pyramid workers weren't all professionals, most of them were peasants paying their taxes with work. and egypt definitely didn't do any stalin-like deportations of whole nations

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TERFherder posted:

If you are referring to Ender's Game, I'd disagree with this. Other people claimed it was an apologia for Hitler, which Card denied, saying he set up Ender to be the complete opposite of Hitler. Card wants to talk about the role of "intention" and moral guilt, but other people are digging into the whole "Superman" and "Genocide" thing going on. It's an interesting discussion.

Good for him. Just goes to show that good employees are hard to find, and that you need to find a way to keep them around. Or from escaping your dungeon.

Tru dat. I saw one about Reese castrating Theon. Did uh.. did he just cut off his dick and leave his balls? Is this canon?

in the show someone kicked him between the legs a few times and it didn't affect him, so no balls

i don't recall if the novelization went into specifics

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Like getting kicked in your genital mutilation wound wouldn't hurt like gently caress.

I felt that scene was paying homage to that scene from King of the Hill when Bobby tries to kick Peggy in the nuts.

yeah

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

His books are fun.

Sanderson writes Wikipedia entries for a living in a made up world made up from his already laughably made up worldview and then cheats at his own made up rules. Also his prose style is too prolix.

Abercrombie did some offensive poo poo and some lazy poo poo. Gurkish? Are you kidding me? This is the Doman empire lol. His prose isn’t amazing but it’s not a slog. And it’s fun.

lmao

lazy people who make money from nerds should be praised

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

They gave a Hugo Award for an acceptance speech of a Hugo Award. That's pretty much all I'll ever need to know about what a Hugo Award is.

amazing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

The only book of that series I've read was "Xenocide", and it was all about Ender's self-flagellation about how wrong it was to xenocide the bug aliens. Including conversations with the new bug queen he saved and brought to a hidden planet, to grow a new civilization in peace.

It's basically a 180° from everything else I've heard about the series and I think I dodged a bullet by kramering in near the end of the series, instead of starting at book 1

did you gaslight the series overton window too?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm going to break into GRRM's office, relearn how to use DOS, download the five sentences for Winds that he has completed, and PM all of you spoilers.

neeps on a nuncle!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TK-42-1 posted:

You know they’d try and paint Valyria as some kind of Atlantis hyper magitek society that got done dirty by the proles and that the world is worse off for it rather than the disturbing oppressive regime it’s been hinted at being. Like the targs are outcasts because they’re not brutal enough or something and then they end up dominating and entire continent.

But a huge corporation isn’t going to broach that kind of poo poo. At best we get falcon and winter soldier that makes racism a thing.

yes they would

that poo poo is popular now and it would be no different than making money from selling che shirts

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Drakyn posted:

I know it's been ages since it updated, but I thought the full archive was still on its site ?

Also, unless I'm missing a joke, MarriedToTheSea still seems to be updating.

:tipshat: thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

anime is bad