Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

meanolmrcloud posted:

I know amazon says PST but this fucker better be on my kindle at 1201 or there will be hell to pay

On my Nook touch now lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My main problem with the 5th book is how many new loose end it has opened. So many twists are relied on newly introduced characters. It basically....has changed the game rule of the series so much that its impossible to predict the future books.

On the other hand, quite a few of the secrets that I care about (for example, the true motive of Varys and Illyrio) has revealed. I find myself not as eager to look forward to the next book as I did with ADWD.

There are quite a few secrets I am sure will only reveal in the final book, for example,

* The deal with Rheagar and Lyanna
* The deal with Ashara
* The Others
* The importance of Bran

I actually doesn't care about these secrets myself. So if GRRM kicks the bucket, I will feel bad only because I won't be able to find out the result of these loose ends:

* Will Bronn come back and kcik major rear end?
* Will Ramsay Bolton get skinned?
* Will Tyrion find his wife?
* What will happen to Asha?

At these point, I can't think about other character I care about. Book 5 kind of hosed up both Jon and Dany for me. I don't care about them any more.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tony Danza Claus posted:

We're told fairly specifically that the Queen of Thorns killed Joffrey.

So yeah, Tyrion's just going with the blame. He killed Tywin, might as well not argue against common belief that he also killed Joffrey.

Sort of avoiding a "I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy."

He has already unlocked the "Kinkiller" achievement, might as well admit killing Joffre to collect the "Kingkiller" badge.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Pool posted:

I think people are reading into it because Merman is definitely house Manderly, and he has already eaten one set of characters, while there are many more we HOPE he will eat (preferably Ramsay.....alive)

That would totally make my day. I can even forgive GRRM for his Brienne and Mereen chapters.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

The Melisandre one is the best imho.

They are all pretty terrible. People can't draw shouldn't use Photoshop to "draw". Dany looks like a cheerleader.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

showbiz_liz posted:

Hahaha imagine if Dany just gradually became insane and started burning the poo poo out of Westeros and then it turned out that the Others were the only way to stop her and her dragons. Take THAT, genre conventions!

It's only a matter of time until someone does a mashup of the e-books and puts it up as a torrent.

Somebody need to do a "phamton edit" style editing that eliminate all the Brienne ad penny chapters.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

I think this book just continued the trend set up in the previous four books: behaviour that would, in your average fantasy novel, win the day and lead to a happily-ever-after just gets you hosed by people who are willing to be bastards.

Ay, my favorite is the Red Vipor/ Mountain fight out of all of them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"No body gently caress with THE MOUNTRAIN!"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

This season is awesome. Things that took hundreds of pages to slog through are resolved in an episode. And thank god, no Lady Stoneheart. What a poo poo character.

Yeah. It's like reverse of DBZ episodes. Also enjoy the Brienne and Pod adventure.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

420 Gank Mid posted:

The show will suffer for not having Aegon. He's the only Targaryen who actually gets off his rear end and invades Westeros and JonCon is not only the only surviving compatriot of Rhaegar (if Selmy stays down for good) but he's also a big part of the grayscale plot that the show doesn't seem to have dropped.

What's the theory on the grayscale?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dany is going to die during her circumnavigation around the non-earth. Only one ship will make it back to the west coast of Westeros.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InFlames235 posted:

Love how the show just outright made Jaqen the teacher for Arya at the house of black and white. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only hinted in the books that he is the one teaching her right? Never thought this was explicitly said.

I like this Kung Fu training routine much better. The book version is too creepy. I hope there is training montage.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptainRightful posted:

So Iwan Rheon, Alfie Allen, and Sophie Turner have all mentioned that something truly horrific happens in the middle of the season and Iwan even said he didn't want to go through with filming it.

It seems pretty clear that Sansa will take the place of Fake Arya and that we'll get something like the humiliation/forced cunnilingus scene, but it sounds like the show is going to make it worse somehow.

Giving Sansa over to Ramsay really makes no sense for Littlefinger.

You have to keep in mind the show LF is dumber than book LF. He pushed Lysa out the moon door without a backup plan. It was a moment of passion for the dumb rear end show LF.

This is what he said to Sansa
Sansa: "There's no justice in the world."
LF: "Not unless we make it."
"You loved your family."
"Avenge them."

It's pretty obvious to me that he is organizing a revolt.

Also something will gently caress up and Theon and Brienne will be there to be "The Cleaner".

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 17, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do you guys think thematically the whole Arya training should be part of time skip like Bran. I have been thinking about this. If GRRM really intend to turn Arya into bad rear end assassin, she should go away for a good 3-5 years at lease for the training. I don't see the point of GRRM keep writing Arya level up quest. They are really not part of the ASOIAF story.

Unless, GRRM intend to have Arya break the vow to assassin guild very soon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also Bran warging a tree. Now somebody need to make it and put it on Youtube.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the CGI s'plosions the Blackwater looked dinky as all gently caress when it came to actual soldiers/ships fighting. I mean it still looked like the very best that the most money in television could offer, and it still failed to capture more than 1/5th at best of the scale I got from the books, which I do consider thematically relevant enough to count as a mark against the show even if I know they can't help it.

It was actually that episode that finally made me realize I was never going to be able to enjoy the show the way I enjoyed the books and I stopped watching, and none of the clips or articles I've read on it since then have convinced me I made the wrong choice. I recall seeing Jorah and Daario take a city in a fight that wouldn't have looked out of place on Power Rangers or Buffy.

If you want realistic epic war fighting scenes, you have to make the series into a movie trilogy. You have to hand the story to Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson to make 3-6 movies series, who no doubt will throw out 90% of the intrigues and palace power struggles. It's a compromise no matter what media you choose to adapt the books. I am very happy HBO have been very faith to the intrigue and mystery elements of the books and do the best job they could for the fighting.

When I read the book I didn't think the battle of Blackwater was that big of a deal. The battle of Wall was way bigger and epic in the book.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I felt the opposite, like Mance never really made a full-on assault in the books the way Stannis did on the blackwater. He sent a few parties forward, including the giant in the tunnel, but not the majority of his host.

When I read the book I didn't get the sense that Stannis was going to take Kings Landing, therefore not a lot was at stake when I read it. Maybe it had something to with GRRM tips the hand by not letting the Red Witch going to the battle? Maybe I knew deep down Tyrion was a much bigger character than Stannis?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SaviourX posted:

Hello my Mildest of Cards, I finally went and completed what I'm sure Georgey will just love, my ASoIaF and Tarantinoverse crossover fan script thing.

I'm working on the site tonight, but I figured you all should get the first taste of this straight-faced-as-possible jokey fanfic.

As well, there's a dropbox link on the site to a pdf download, which I'm not super happy with, but it's suitable for now. Any other broken links or whatever can be ignored for now.

I'll be posting this to a bunch of places as soon as I can, but feedback is always good. Let me know via the e-mail on the site.

Thanks and you can now return to how bad the show/books/novelization/comics/parodies are.

:frogsiren: Link: http://pulpandfiction.aheartoftheworld.net

I want to read A Game of Bones.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ague Proof posted:

The Faceless Man using Jaqen's identity went to Oldtown as the Alchemist, tricked Pate into getting him a key and then killed him. He's now using Pate's identity and is with Marwyn and Alleras/Sarella.

None of this will be in the show.

Anyone want to speculate where this plot is going? He is trying to steal alchemy magic.. to do what?

Sound more like a RPG quest than an ASOIAF story.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait... faceless men were responsible for the destruction of Valyria? That was in the book?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Imagine. Late at night. Alone in bed. And then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QxcOz88Nc4

I just want to quote this.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Iron Lung posted:

I honestly think Aegon would be way too confusing for show watchers at this point, its just way too many story lines converging. And unlike GRRM they plan on finishing something, ANYTHING, in their contracted seasons.

I really can't understand the Sansa/Bolton plot and guess where its going, but I do love that they replaced Wyman Manderly's awesome speech and Davos's sweet story line with one old lady saying "THE NORTH REMEMBERS."

Sansa is going cut off Ramsey's dick during sex to avenge her half brother Theon. Sansa is Littlefinger's Myranda.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I still wonder about how the books / show are going to deal with this in anything like a plausible way. I mean, picture the conversation:

D: So, let me get this straight: You're a Lannister, your family was key to the rebellion and a key house afterward, you were a key part of the Lannister / Baratheon governing structure for a period of time, you knew about Jorah and the assassination attempt(s) (yes, that was after the fact, but bear with me), you hated and were alleged to have betrayed and killed your king (also your nehpew) and you admittedly killed your own father and lover, is all of that correct?
T: Yes, but . . .
D: And you'd now like to advise me, be in my inner circle and be in my unguarded presence, is that also correct?
T: Yes, it is, but . . .
D: Okay . . . . Well, I guess I'm short two counsellors so sure, why not, you're in :-)

Come on, it should start with Tyrion ripping Dany a new one.

One thing that annoy me the most is that I am not getting the reason why doesn't GRRM start moving Dany back to Westeros in book 5 beside his own dumb prophecy. He even planned it in his original trilogy proposal.

Now I am hearing humor of Dany not meeting Tyrion until the end of book 6. If that's the case, GRRM didn't plan to give Dany a real chance to take the Iron Throne whatsoever.

Its like Dany start the playoff with severe plot handicap. gently caress that fat man!

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 4, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mike N Eich posted:

The jokes on all of us because the show keeps getting worse and is going to be the only way the series gets a conclusion.

It's not that the shows changing things in the books, it's that the changes are arbitrary bizarre and mostly awful

Least we got Stannis

Stannis is a good guy. I didn't pick it up when I read the book. He willingly give up the fortress on the wall and take on the thankless task of invading Winterfell just because its the right thing to do. And he didn't even give a its the right thing to do speech.

I hope Brienne kill him because he can go out as a hero.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Junkenstein posted:

Now that Barristan has been confirmed dead, I'm pretty confident that 'twist' involves him and is specifically meant to gently caress with the show.

D&D will give his stupid Barry twist to Brienne. :smugbert::smugbert:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really like the additional of Mad Queen burning off one guy as a warming. Of course Kelly C's acting couldn't carry that scene but whatever.

Man gently caress Dany and gently caress Jon, I am with Stannis all the way.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kcroy posted:

If you look at GoT as a soap opera, lots of slow moving plot, pontificating, and posturing is par for the course. In fact, much like a soap, there is no "ending" ... just season finales, people who die and come back to life, and a million loving characters you can't keep track of. ( Oh Maester Aegon is ACTUALLY Daenery's uncle, but he is blind and gave up the kingdom, and lives in secret in the North! ) You could run the GoT soap opera for ever...

I am sure by season 8 I will be rooting for Ramsey.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know how HBO can fix it. Combine the last 2 books into 1 15-episode season.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Preach it brother.

#teamstannis

after Stannis is murdered by GRRM

#teamwhitewalker

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People poo poo on HBO and the showrunners need to recognize the showfinger's plans make much more sense than bookfinger's plan.

And gently caress Sansa's virginity, don't put it on a pedestal.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

This entire series could probably be condensed down to 12 hours of content if they really wanted. And I'm counting the 2/3 books that haven't even come out yet.

They can adopt it into movie series. First movie is about the struggle of the Starks and the Lannisters with covers the first 2 books; Second movie would cover the rise of Daenerys Targaryen. Third movie tell the story of Tyrion, that should cover all the major event of the 3rd book and ends with Tyrion meeting Dany. The last movie is about Dany and Tyrion returning to Westeros and confront their destinies. I don't even think the Others invasion is all that important of a plot point anyway. Just make them villain of the last movie. Throw in another Jon movie if you want to.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Song of Tits and Dragons

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I found something completely ridiculous yesterday.

A handsome enough edition, but tantamount to an admission of the series never progressing beyond that point.

Might as well, Stephen King came back from the future to stop GURM from writing the series ending worse than Dark Tower.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I dunno what sort of closure people were expecting - the sopranos ending was pretty appropriate given the tone of the show. I liked it.

I want to see Tony brutally gunned down Sonny style. David Chase is a loving pussy.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HBO will pull a Sopranos and go to black screen in the final episode of GoT, we will never find out who sits on the Iron Throne.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evil Fluffy posted:

If HBO has a deal with GRRM that lets them write more poo poo using the ASOIAF world then whether D&B want to do it is irrelevant because HBO will just find replacements. Doing some Dunk and Egg, Robert's Rebellion, the Dance of Dragons...etc could be a few seasons each on their own. Maybe they wouldn't be as big since people will know what the outcome of those events are already but we could still get something like Bran greenseeing to the far north's land of eternal winter and show us a season with the Thens facking ice spiders and whatever other crazy poo poo is way up in those places. OR we get some Assai and Jade Sea stuff (based around Euron?) or even just post-ASOIAF poo poo with the winner trying to rebuild and fend off challengers.

Even after the horrible sansa rape toy, bad pussy, and other poo poo season 6 is probably going to still have a metric fuckload of people watching it and they'd have to do some pretty terrible stuff to not have a millions of viewers screaming for more even after Jon takes the iron throne and weds Dany while Tyrion serves as Hand and Varys pushes a bunch of reforms to help the smallfolk.

Nobody wants to watch any Dunk and Egg. But HBO can make a spinoff of GoT about Tyrion wondering around Westeros and the fantasy European continent.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How big is the pool yet on if GRRM will publish the next book before the series ends in 3 years?

What's odd of GRRM announcing the publishing date for book 6 but he will need two more book to finish the series at the same time?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really don't like Dany's new dress. It's some dumb star trek uniform. She can't hold a candle to my Queen Cersei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hail Joffrey!