Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
The thing that surprised me about Episode 1 was how much they trimmed down the Lightbringer/Azor Ahai myth. They pretty much turned it into "Once upon a time, some guy pulled a sword out of a fire. Now watch as Stannis pulls a sword out of a fire." Unless they're going to revisit this story later, it seems like they're removing this entire plot element. Could this be an indication that the whole Lightbringer/Azor Ahai stuff doesn't actually go anywhere? I'm only curious because I've heard so many theories about how "X is actually Azor Ahai reborn and Y is their symbolic Lightbringer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The books are six god drat dollars. The answers are available freely in one of the spoiler threads.

What's the point of writing a 30-page fanfiction about Jon Snow being Cersei's son to sit back and watch if you're proven right? Suppose you are. Suppose that in 2 seasons you find out you're right. You'll have to buy archives, dig up your old post, repost it, and say "I was right!" And maybe one, if that, person will say "oh, yeah, ok, good for you."

YOU'RE SPECULATING PAST EVENTS.

It's already written! You're literally watching a history channel program and saying "Gee whiz, this Hitler fella seems bad. I wonder what becomes of him?"

gently caress you, read a goddamn book you shits! :argh:

I know a ton of people (in real life) who are really into the show, and none of them will read the books. I didn't even read the books until after watching Season 1, and it was basically because I didn't want to wait to find out what happened. My anecdotal observation in the book readers to show watchers relation is that there's little overlap. I know only one person who has been a fan of the books for a long time, and he doesn't watch the show because "I already know what happens, so it's it a waste of time."

My best friend is actually a prolific reader, and loves the show, but won't read the books because she's convinced she won't like them (though she has no fear of not liking the show). Then I have another reader friend who adamantly won't watch the show even though she wants to, because she feels like she needs to read the books first. Unfortunately, she's been struggling with and hating book one since she started months ago, so now she's just never going to watch the show because she's been scared away by all the GURMy incest and gross sex descriptions.

It's really weird that I'm literally the only person I know who was willing to read the books and watch the show.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Bhaal posted:

Had dinner last night with some friends I don't see often. It turns out they've never read the books but are huge fans of the show. They want joffrey dead so badly they can taste it, and are CONVINCED (/hoping) it will happen before the halfway point this season. I probed for more of their speculation and they're pretty sure Robb will have a hand in it if not deliver the killing blow himself. They're pretty big Robb fans, and are just pumped to see Joffrey get whacked in the next couple weeks. :allears:

It might be tricky, but I'm going to have to schedule a dinner date or something way ahead of time next year (or the year after) so that I get to see them < 24 hours after they witness the Red Wedding. It's not that I hate my friends, I've just found the best way to cope with the pain of GURM is to witness it among others.

The proper thing to do here is to set up a viewing party at your place and film them as the Red Wedding is happening. Then share the video with us. It's our only chance of getting another "my nigga Ned!"

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wow, he's so convinced that the weird hat is a good look for him that he's been doing it since the 70's. It's also sort of concerning that it looks like he's worn that same pair of glasses his entire life.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Contra Calculus posted:

I just googled leaders who married their relatives and apparently Franklin D. Roosevelt married his cousin. Wow, didn't know that :stare:

She was his 5th cousin, which is so far removed that it doesn't really count. Most people don't even know most of their 2nd cousins, let alone anything beyond that.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Why cookie Rocket posted:

All the talk about the show's ending reminds me of a thought I had yesterday-- they're going to need to wrap this thing up before Arya or Bran are clearly in their 20s. I don't care for Harry Potter but every time I saw a movie poster for the last two films, I kind of had to laugh at their ages.

While I'm glad that they're hoping to film season 3 and 4 simultaneously, I think that's going to gently caress up the children's aging even more if/when they get to season 5. We won't see them age between season 3 and 4, and then they'll have grown two years between 4 and 5.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"She's sickly, weak, shut away in a tower. She disgusts you. And she has given you nothing. No sons, only stillborns. Only death."

There's a bit of wiggle room there, if they wanted to introduce Stannis' daughter at some point.

Yeah, I didn't take that to mean that his daughter didn't exist in the show, just that only sons matter. I guess it could mean that they're cutting her out though. I looked for her on the beach scene where they were burning the statues and didn't see her there.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

IRQ posted:

She's pretty much inconsequential from what I remember anyway (aside from introducing fantasy leprosy which itself isn't relevant until ADWD [which itself isn't relevant to anything]), so why add even more characters for people watching the show to get confused about?

It's important because if GURM approved leaving Shireen and Patchface out of the show, then we know that neither of them can be Azor Ahai.

(Just kidding. Mostly.)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Martin Van Buren posted:

Oof, is that underboob sweat I spy on the grrm?

Why would you call my attention to that? :cry:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

empty sea posted:

God dammit Arya had her stupidest moments in the books when she was having Jaqen kill retards and not Tywin or someone loving important.

9 year olds aren't generally known for their big-picture thinking or ability to help plot the downfall of governments. It you tell your average 4th grader that you can make something bad happen to one person of their choice, they're more likely to choose the kid in their class that picks on them than Kim Jong-Il (I know he's already dead, I'm just not coming up with anyone alive right now that's at a similar level of evil).

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

The comments on that Gawker link to the SNL skit are making me think that 95% of the world has no reading comprehension. Individual quotes from the comments:

quote:

• The only time I've had a problem with the sex in Game Of Thrones was when Stanis banged the red priestess last week - because Stanis in the books is essentially portrayed as being grossed out by sex. He's some weird asexual stoic and it went against character.
  • It happens in the books, you just don't see it happen...How else do you think shadow babby is made?
  • I interpreted shadow baby as sex magic, rather than magic sex. I agree that Stanis seems like an ultra-prude.
  • I'm not convinced shadow baby was the result of her having sex with a human.
  • I truly don't recall getting the impression that he'd actually succumbed to her charms. [scuttles off to re-read...]
  • I don't think shadow baby is the result of sex but it's heavily implied that Stannis and Red Priestess are having an affair and his wife is looking the other way or in the dark about it.
  • Magic obviously... We need to have sex to make a shadow baby? When this happened in the books not once did I think about how she got knocked up with a magic shadow baby.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

On the HBO forums, there is a thread titled "After Episode 13 GOT Season two is starting off weak..." and the first post starts with "After three episodes they have drug out the Arya Stark thing way too long, either get her home or kill her. I love that little gal, would like her to remain, but come on get the story moving"

Oh "Richard Retey," why is your disappointment so delicious to me? :allears: Is this how GRRM feels when he gives us books where nothing happens?

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'm thinking he's gonna get left out in the cold to follow his in his uncle's footsteps and become an Über-Other (I don't remember what the consensus is here about Benjen > Coldhands) or maybe he could just be dead.

I read the books late, so I didn't read earlier threads, but I've seen a lot of people posting that they don't think Coldhands is Benjen. I've always thought he was, and I'm not sure why so many people seem to be sure that he isn't.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Klungar posted:

I'd be interested in why people are opposed to it, as that's the theory I've been running with as well.

I seem to remember people saying that Bloodraven had said something about Coldhands having been around for a long time, and some people interpreted that as like 100 years or something. I think I also remember someone saying that there would be no reason for him to cover his face if he were Benjen. (Which I disagree with since I think it makes sense that he might not want his nephew to see him as some kind of weird zombie.)

Personally, I believe the best evidence is that Benjen is awesome and Coldhands is awesome, so therefore, Coldhands must be Benjen. I believe this is inarguable.

EDIT: Beaten on one of the points.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Martin Van Buren posted:

Wasn't his face also covered when he was around Sam? Whats he care if some fatty sees his zombie face?

Maybe he's all emo about being a zombie, so he keeps his face covered because he's like "OH GOD I'm a monster, don't look at me."

Honestly though, I think his face is covered because GRRM is completely infatuated with "surprise" revelations about the identities of characters, and just can't help himself at this point. Everybody is secretly somebody else.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

crazypeltast52 posted:

In other news I have reached April of 2008 in the proto-Bad Thread and GRRM is not yet an absolute fucker. However, there has been vigorous debate over the pronounciation of Aeron as "damp hair" or "damfare"

So what was the consensus here? I guess eventually the show should give us the correct answer, assuming they don't completely cut Aeron.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Aeron "damp hair" Greyjoy.

It's a nickname, you awful nerds. He's always in the ocean. His hair is wet. I'll loving kill you all.

That's what I assumed, but it seems weird that there wouldn't be a space between the words.

EDIT: I guess there's no space in Kingslayer either. Still, "damp hair" is a pretty lame nickname for a guy who drowns people all day.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

crazylakerfan posted:

I am almost wondering if you guys are trolling when saying that was ever a discussion. How could you guys read it as Dam Phair? :psyduck:

I know logically that "damp hair" made more sense for the character (even if it is the lamest nickname ever), but my brain is totally Hooked on Phonics and I can't read "ph" without it sounding like "f" in my head. It's just how English works. I blame GRRM, because he could have just put a goddamned hyphen in there and it would be a non-issue.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Conclusion: the vikings are boring.

Not like the Dornish. They have nicknames like "Darkstar".

So cool. :allears:

The vikings did nickname that other dude "The Reader," and that's pretty lame too, so maybe they just suck at nicknames.

It's just now occurring to me how an excessive amount of characters have nicknames, and it's making me wonder if GRRM is that annoying guy in real life that feels he needs to force a nickname on everyone he knows.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Speaking of the portraits from the wiki, I saw earlier than Euron's was bizarrely erotic.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Euron_Greyjoy

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The other two dragons are in Myreen and flamehand Victarion will claim them.

Dany only has the one, now.

Jon will Warg into Ghost and become a tree.

Tyrion will die when Victarion burns him with his dragons.

Since Grey Wind's head is now on Robb's body, can Bran warg into him and get himself a working body that way?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Contra Calculus posted:

I think Jaime's shameful boner will be the best CGI art in television history once it is filmed.

I think one of the saddest things about the show is that Jaime's shameful boner will likely be cut out. Much like Asha grabbing her brother's junk was cut. Doubt we're going to get Reek going down on fake Arya either. There are some things which are just too GURMy for TV.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

run DNC posted:

I think Theon grabbing Ashas junk and fondling it for the whole ride was a pretty good tradeoff for her not undoing his pants (they changed it so he was wearing a skirt instead!)

I don't think it has the same level of ick factor. Asha knows who Theon is, and it's difference between her being passive while he is unaware, and her taking an active role in grabbing her brother's junk.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Joramun posted:

After that snowballing scene I think we can safely conclude that there is no low HBO won't sink to.

If there were ever a time for "oh my sweet summer child.." I feel it's now.

Actual snowballing would require her to retain the fluids in her mouth and then transfer them into his when she kissed him. Not just whatever residue is in there, the whole load.

Not that it wasn't surprising that HBO showed as much as they did though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

badthread.txt

Seriously, someone actually typed that.

Sorry, I have a shameful boner for factual accuracy.

Actually I spent about 5 minutes after reading the original comment thinking "Snowballing scene? There was a snowballing scene? How the gently caress did I miss that?"

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ross posted:

The medic's name was not Jeyne, it started with a J though (Jasmina or something?). My feelings are that she will play the Jeyne role though.

According to the Interactive Features, her name is Talisa.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Well, I gotta give the Institute for Gifted and Talented Goons thread one thing: they managed to catch on right away that the burned kids weren't Bran and Rickon but the orphan kids. I tried to hint to my husband that it was a fakeout ("where are Hodor and Osha though?" What about the orphan kids they were going to visit in the previous scene?") and he didn't catch on at all. Did I really somehow manage to marry someone dumber than the average goon or is he actually smarter than all of us because he doesn't care enough about this stupid fantasy series to pay very close attention to it?

I watch each week with 3 non-book readers, and while none of them saw Renly's death coming, I was surprised when there was zero belief on their parts that those kids were Bran and Rickon. I had gotten myself all excited about bathing in their tears when they thought Theon had really killed the kids, but not a single one of them bought it for even a second. The camera hadn't even cut away from the bodies when one of them said "Oh come on, it's not like we'd really think those were the Stark kids."

You can temper your disappointment over your husband's credulousness with the fact that you at least got to experience him being upset over the deaths. I was totally denied and it made me sad.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Dead Man Posting posted:

I don't think I like or dislike HBO since they did things great and terrible.

Let's make a list:

Pros:
Ned Stark total badass
King Robert
Syrio
Cat
Littlefinger
Mormont
Ygritte total babe/great actress
I guess literally every other casting than Jon Snow is great
Greyjoy subplot totally :black101:

Cons:
Jon Snow
Ros
Cutting Jojen and Meera Reed
Cutting flashbacks, memories, fantasies

I think the PRO column we should give HBO credit for keeping lots of not-really-necessary Dolorous Edd lines. Since they're so pressed for time, it would have been really easy to cut him entirely. I believe the earlier discussion about how it's unfair to compare anyone else to Hodor because he's clearly superior to everyone else is incorrect. Dolorous Edd is obviously the greatest character in the books.

In the Cons column, we might want to put Peter Dinklage's accent. Though I guess it doesn't bother everyone.

EDIT: I don't think Littlefinger can be in the Pro column either. Either the way they've written him is weird, or the way he's being played is weird.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 15, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

But does it include Lord Manderly's pie recipe? No matter how many times I ask him what his secret is for making such delicious pies, he won't tell me. :eng99:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

IRQ posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that Showdor uses inflection and poo poo when he says Hodor?

I wanted it to be full on retard volume HODOR! each and every time.

God, I thought this was just me.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Urdnot Fire posted:

Please, there are many and more where those come from. It is known.

You will find each time you read these oft-repeated phrases that you like them little and less. But it's ok, because words are wind.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Are the Dunk and Egg stories actually any good? I didn't know they existed until I started reading this thread.

Yes, in some ways they're better than the books, since they're self-contained stories. It keeps GURM focused and forces him to resolve things rather than just continuing to add poo poo willy-nilly with no end in sight. And some of it ties in with the novels, which is neat.

EDIT: Also, we always need more SECRET TARGS, which the stories provide.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

empty sea posted:

At what point do the SECRET TARGS become not so secret? When there are three? Five? I MUST KNOW.

Why is their secret-ness tied to their numbers? Some secret Targs are even secret from themselves, like Jon Snow, so technically EVERYONE can be a secret Targ.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I disagree with spoiling others because in the long run, it's less satisfying. Their reactions when it happens on the show are much more extreme and long-lasting. Besides, when you spoil someone it just makes them mad at you. When they get to see it happen or read about it happening, it makes them mad at GRRM, and I thought that's what this thread was about; spreading the hatred of that absolute fucker.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

My doctor told me I'm going to have to spend a whole lot of time in bed, so in a fit of boredom masochism, I decided to re-read the ASOIAF books. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but when Old Nan tells Bran her "my sweet summer child" story about the Others, she mentions a man whom she calls only "the last hero" who went out in search of the Children of the Forest to get their help in stopping the Others. Has that guy been discussed as the possible identity of Coldhands? One of the main arguments against Coldhands being Benjen is that the Children of the Forest say that Coldhands died a long time ago, and it seems this guy died a long time ago, even by their standards. Also it seems very un-GURM-like to put that much detail into some backstory to never revist it.

Here's the passage for anyone who doesn't recall the story or have the book handy:

quote:

“Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks.” Her voice and her needles fell silent, and she glanced up at Bran with pale, filmy eyes and asked, “So, child. This is the sort of story you like?”
“Well,” Bran said reluctantly, “yes, only…”
Old Nan nodded. “In that darkness, the Others came for the first time,” she said as her needles went click click click. “They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins. They swept over holdfasts and cities and kingdoms, felled heroes and armies by the score, riding their pale dead horses and leading hosts of the slain. All the swords of men could not stay their advance, and even maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them. They hunted the maids through frozen forests, and fed their dead servants on the flesh of human children.”
Her voice had dropped very low, almost to a whisper, and Bran found himself leaning forward to listen.
“Now these were the days before the Andals came, and long before the women fled across the narrow sea from the cities of the Rhoyne, and the hundred kingdoms of those times were the kingdoms of the First Men, who had taken these lands from the children of the forest. Yet here and there in the fastness of the woods the children still lived in their wooden cities and hollow hills, and the faces in the trees kept watch. So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds—”

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

el_brio posted:

:allears: Ahhh, ice spiders. We hardly knew ye. Seriously though... the books are filled with interesting ideas that GRRM pulled out of his rear end and then forgot about. He should have focused on the others/north/invasion and the books wouldn't have sucked nearly as bad. Instead we got Tyrion the Public Works Administrator, half-assed Vikings and loving Mereen. God I hate Dany's story line.

Yeah, I caught myself thinking by the 2nd or 3rd Dany chapter "eh, maybe I won't read these again...." and then I realized it was only that I didn't want to read the Dany chapters, because I know that it's going nowhere.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

During my re-read of the books, I've been wondering something else. Why does Bran name his wolf Summer? All of the other direwolf name choices make sense, but I'm not sure what Bran was going for. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I don't think I can get behind Rickon "upholding Stark values" simply because he's like 4. Though Shaggydog is the best name for a direwolf.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

The Unnamed One posted:

Pretty sure he sent her body to the North for whatever reason. Probably because Cersei would use her as a rug in the Throne Room.

Yeah, he sent her body back to Winterfell to be buried there, and Sansa stayed in King's Landing with him, so no, Sansa did not have to bury her wolf.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Sansa sucks because she's a teenage girl. Teenage girls are notoriously annoying, and a large portion of what comes out of their mouths is stupid and thoughtless. With Sansa it's even worse, because half of the time we have to be inside her head, so even when she isn't saying something stupid, we're hearing her thoughts, so we know the stupid poo poo she she's thinking, too.

She has the potential to get older and stop being stupid and annoying, like many/most teenage girls. However, given how terrible GRRM is at making his female characters not be stupid or horrendous bitches, I don't hold out much hope for her. (Arya being one of the few exceptions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

He kidnapped Lyanna Stark because the saviour had to have the blood of the old men. He was remorseful about kidnapping and raping her, and Ned rescued the baby and pretended it was his own son so King Robert wouldn't murder it.

My inferences have been that he didn't actually kidnap or rape Lyanna; I got the impression she went willingly. Obviously there isn't a lot to base this off of, but one thing would be that Rhaegar named the place that he kept her "The Tower of Joy." That's not the offical name of the place, it's just what he called it. Now if we were talking about a Bolton, yeah, the "Tower of Joy" would be where you keep your kidnap/rape/torture victims, but for anyone else, it sounds more like the name you'd give to your secret love-nest. Especially when we consider that nobody other than Robert has claimed that Rhaegar was anything but a decent dude. And Robert isn't very reliable here, because he was in love with Lyanna, so he's obviously biased.

Additionally, Ned didn't find out about the murdered Targ babies until he got back to King's Landing, which was after the Tower of Joy stuff. He was hiding Jon mostly because Lyanna asked him to, which we know because we have 80 million flashbacks to Lyanna asking him to make a promise. Trusty old Ned wouldn't break his promise even if the result was that all living Targs get a free lifetime supply of lemoncakes. If he were willing to divulge the truth to anyone, he could have told his wife, who wouldn't have killed Jon, probably wouldn't have told anyone, and would have actually been nicer to Jon for it.

This doesn't disprove the first part of your theory, but I think the end part needs some reworking.