Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ray_ posted:

The Boltons are hosed up, man. Seems as if Ramsay made Theon into an eunuch. Ramsay also made him eat out fake Arya in order to get her wet enough to bed on their wedding night. This after he nonchalantly jammed 2 fingers into her without warning and complained that she was too dry.

I just finished the 4th book and was going to make my first venture into the bad thread only to find out it didn't exist anymore. But drat, if that really is a spoiler GRRM is more hosed up than I'd thought. No wonder you guys went Wild Card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'd characterize the Boltons more as "loving insanely evil people who happen to also want to be Kings of the North" than "Evil people who do poo poo in order to become King of the north." The King stuff is totally secondary to their chaotic evil nature.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lawlicaust posted:

More likely, Dany rides around as a slave of Jhoqa's horde for a long and boring time. Eventually she fucks her way out of the situation and somehow takes over the horde.

Being betrayed by the Night's Watch, Jon and Melisandre take leadership of the wildinglings and try to save Stannis. They are too late. At some point Jon's true parentage is revealed. Now Aegon, Jon and Dany fight a three-way civil war for the crown. Jon and Aegon both come into possession of one of Dany's missing dragons. They all die, ending the Targ line. King Bron rules a now peaceful kingdom.

Oh and the Others... Bran discovers their true nature and finds some way to stop them.

Honestly, Bronn would probably do a better job being king than most people in Westeros.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

There is no more Bad Thread just now. Only Dany, endlessly drinking and making GBS threads.

and loving.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So I think there is one line that shoots a big hole in the "Theon got gelded/is a eunuch idea, in the "Turncloak" chapter

Theon posted:

He wanted to hit her, to smash that mocking smile off her face. He wanted to kiss her, to gently caress her right there on the table and make her cry his name. But he knew he dare not touch her, in anger or in lust

So either he has forgotten that he's got nothing going on down there, or there is something else going on.

There are a lot of cases of him not wanting others to see him naked, and lots of "not a man" hints, but this seems to contradict all of that. Maybe it's just some kind of disfigurement, but he still has the family jewels?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I understand that (especially if Ramsey cut off the cock and left the balls), and it's even something mentioned occasionally about the Unsullied. But his thought is that he "dare not" do it. You can only "dare not" do something if you are capable of doing it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm nervous Martin doesn't have the indepth notes that Jordan left, which has helped make Sanderson's WoT so good.

Sanderson works great for finishing up Wheel of Time. But GRRM is way to rapey and creepy for Sanderson.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 17, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I just got to the chapter where Theon escapes.

Jeyne posted:

Tell him, you tell him. I'll do what he wants... whatever he wants... with him or... or with the dog...

God drat it GRRM. Who the hell even comes up with that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Any chance Jon ends up warging into Theon? It would complete his redemption and allow him to finally become a Stark. As well as allowing his conciousness, which is so damaged, to essentially die.

Actually maybe not, that would be way to good of a fate for a character in this series.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hampig posted:

It makes much more sense if you read it as if Ramsay lopped off his dick. I've just been saying eunuch for convenience because honestly, I don't want to dwell on the specifics (his fingers were flayed until he begged for them to be cut off...:cry: :aaa:).

I posted this a few pages back, but there is a passage where Theon thinks that he "dares not" gently caress someone. But he's also terrified of being seen naked and there are lots of other indications that something was done . So I'm thinking it's some kind of mutilation, but still functional.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Azure_Horizon posted:

All the political squabbling in Meereen would make for great HBO drama, though.

The Meereen story would make a decent mini-series or something, I suppose. But it would be tough to make worthwhile without devoting a whole lot of time to it. My hope is that they figure out a way to pare it down to a handful of scenes and focus more on the various groups that are trying to reach Dany instead.

Shaveplate and Selmy seem to be the only characters in Meereen that I really gave a poo poo about.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What I took out of the Meeren chapters is that Dany is a stupid teenager who, like Jeoffrey, chooses to ignore the people around her that are giving her good advice, and instead act like a dumb teenager. Which is to say make the worst decisions possible at all times.

She's totally believable as a 16 year old girl. But I can't see how she would inspire any loyalty in someone like Barristan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Yes it does. Ruling is a lot harder than conquering. There are like 14 million historical examples. In the book and in Earth. How about Robert Baratheon?

Robert just said "gently caress it, I'm not good at this" and got other people to do the hard stuff for him though. Comparing him to Dany is like comparing a housefire with a raging wildfire. Neither are good rulers, but Dany is miles worse than any ruler we've seen or heard about other than Aegon. Even Jeoffrey was at least somewhat checked by Tyrion and others.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Caufman posted:

Dany's lessons were different. She is the daughter of a mad king who was known for his brutality, and she wants very much not to be associated with such things.

Actually, hasn't she basically cut off everyone who's tried to tell her about her father's true nature and refused to hear about it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

furushotakeru posted:

Also, gratuitous teen sex scenes. GRRM, you pervert! :pervert:

Gratuitous sex in a fantasy series doesn't bother me, it's that, other than Jon and Dany (post rape Drogo), they tend to be really, really, really creepy gratuitous sex scenes. At least Dany and Daario, while pointless and showing her being a stupid teenager, wasn't creepy like Jayne & Theon and so many others.

furushotakeru posted:

I would also like to know why GRRM has such a loving hard on for the word "Serjeant" in this book. He uses it all the goddamn time, like he was trying to say "LOOK AT ME I AM SPECIAL BECAUSE I MADE UP A NEW SPELLING FOR THIS WORD, LET'S USE IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN!".

Stupid intentional unnecessary misspellings make me irrationally angry apparently.

Serjeant didn't bother me. but I still do a double take every time I see "leal". I actually like the changes though. I feel like he does subtle changes in spelling every once in a while just to remind us that this is another world, and not everything is the same.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

See, I don't like this stuff. When I read some fantasy dude say something in English, I assume it's a "translation" of whatever they're "really" saying, so little spelling irregularities that don't even change the pronunciation of the root word just strike me as dumb and jar me out of the world. It's like "frak" and "frell" and other scifi words for "gently caress", except Martin doesn't need to make up fake words to pass the censors like the BSG creators did.

I understand your point of view there (especially the fake swear words part). But for me, the little stuff like small changes to words is just another reminder that this isn't Earth, and the normal rules don't apply. So I feel like it makes it less jarring when stuff like dragons or the Others show up, because we are constantly being reminded that this another reality that, while like our own, is not exactly the same. Lots of authors try this and fail, but GRRM does a good job in dropping these little reminders without overdoing it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Also "jape." Don't forget jape. That was the worst offender for me.

Jape is a real word.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Taking all the doors to the right in the house of the undying. Sending Jorah away for not coming clean with his crimes.

I would consider sending Jorah away one of the stupider things she's done, actually.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bigmcgaffney posted:

Add in all the where do whores go variations and I bet its more than that. And all the crossbow/gently caress-you-dad poo poo.

I think there would be a lot more hits if the search was "where whores go". Since I seem to recall at least a few "Is this where whores go", "Is that where whores go" and so on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TTBF posted:

This is probably a dumb idea, but is it possible that Varys & Illiryo's end-scheme is a united Free Cities? There's a lot of war in the region they're from, and with the help of an Iron Throne which owes them, they could possibly invade and unite the Free Cities, or cause the Free Cities to unite in order to prevent an invasion.

I really feel like Dany isn't going to go to Westeros because why should she care about a place she's never lived? With dragons at her command, she could recreate Valyria - starting with conquering Slaver's Bay.

Either way, I have a feeling by the end of the series either the 7 Kingdoms will split apart for certain, or former Valyria will reunite.

I could almost see GRRM doing that. End the series with Westeros overrun by zombies and the Essos united. It would be such a big gently caress you that it is right up his alley.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iggles posted:

Without commenting on the likelihood of this, why would the fact that Tyrion isn't Tywin's biological son nullify the whole conflict?

Because he craves acceptance from his father, if Tywin isn't his father then that need doesn't have to exist.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adama posted:

Someone really needs to get updating GRRM's website. It's embarrassingly amateur, and isn't up to date to boot. This guy has an HBO series based off his work... why not put a bit of effort and dedication into it?

The guy still use a DOS machine to do his writing, just be happy you don't dial in to a BBS to get to his site.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AngusPodgorny posted:

I think any competently written and edited novel should never disappoint. If there's a section that makes the reader think "god, this is tedious and pointless, when will the author move on," then it should be fixed, and if it's not, I feel entitled to complain about it.

Plenty of novels I've recently read haven't disappointed like Martin (and Rothfuss but this is the wrong thread for him) does for large sections - The Big Sleep, Grand Sophy, Lolita, Foucalt's Pendulum, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Blood Meridian, etc. Sure, the authors are among the best of their genres, but I thought Martin was supposed to be among the best in fantasy.

Being the best writer in Fantasy is kind of like winning the Special Olympics.

I mean, there are a handful of decent Fantasy writers out there, but I don't think anybody expects even them to churn out the next great American novel.

Martin's worldbuilding is amazing, and his worst is still miles above the worst of stuff in Wheel of Time and other epic fantasy series, but he still leaves a lot to complain about. Especially when he gives his fans so long to do so.

What is great about this series though is the re-read potential. So many huge hints are dropped in side conversations and observations. The first time you read thrhough you miss 90% of what is going on. I can't think of any other Sci Fi or Fantasy authors that could pull that off.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 31, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Theon killed children because unrelated children would make him look a little silly. There is no redemption.

Have you been paying any attention to the series? The fact that he killed some random kids probably won't even merit a second thought from the other lords. Nobody gives any fucks about the common folk. What he'd get hit for is the same thing as Asha, participating in rebellion against the throne.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Anyone who sympathises with Theon is stupid. He is a child-murdering gently caress. Who cares if some psychopath toys with him.

I think that's what GRRM was going for though. We all wished the worst on Theon after what he did in the earlier books. But then the worst actually happened, and its creepy as gently caress and makes us question the hatred we held for him after what he did to Winterfell.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

It's Theon. He's having a psychotic break and talking to his reflection in one of the shattered panes of glass from the greenhouse.

He also killed Little Walder.

I think that's a legit theory. GRRM made a point of noting that he can still hold a dagger, and Theon knows Winterfell better than anybody else. Plus with his mental state, having times where he just snaps, kills a dude, and then doesn't remember it as Reek is very believable given how he has internalized that he must never even think ill of Ramsey.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

batomys posted:

I keep seeing this rationalization and it's really silly... as if somehow sexual preferences are passed on genetically from generation to generation. If your parents are into incest and do that poo poo around you (or with you, *gulp*) sure you may pick it up as a learned behavior, but otherwise, no. Great-grandma may have liked to get down with jazz musicians back in her day, but it doesn't mean I'm going to start whacking off to photos of Fats Waller or Thelonius Monk.

A wizard did it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hollis posted:

Out of all the characters in the book I thought Ramsay was the worst written. It's like every Theon chapter is " Ramsay and the horrible things he does to people" . It really was just completely way over the top...

Did you miss the Uday Hussian links from a few pages back, or have read about guys like Vlad the Impaler? People like Ramsey may not be common in history, but compared to a number of historical and current people with unchecked power he is very believable.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Unzip and Attack posted:

Except that we see the attack through Jon's eyes, and he is genuinely surprised when his brothers turn on him. Also, he doesn't even "feel" the fourth knife wound, which strongly suggests he was on his way to dying at that point.

Or just to blacking out. Or because he was already warging into Ghost.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iggles posted:

Quentyn proposes to Dany and she laughs in his face. Why does she and Barristan both deny this happened later on? Seemed oddly specific to me.

Because Dany is stupid and probably at least a little insane, and Barristan is loyal to a fault.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

roop posted:

And is it a coincidence that it's Robert Strong? Maybe it's not Gregor after all!

I guess we know who's head it is then.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
At thus point I can't tell if people are joking or if they really think Dolorious Edd and Selmy are gay. Selmy spent chapters morning over an female crush and Delorious Edd has never had anything sexual come up at all.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bigmcgaffney posted:

He's never been mentioned to go to Moles Town either.

Counterpoint: 100% of the whores from mole town we have met are gay. Edd is the only one who didn't visit mole town whores. Therefore Edd and Jon are the only straight guys in the watch.

The only characters I've actually picked up on as being gay are Renly, Loras, Cottington, and [i]maybe[/] the Blackfish. Not sure where people are pulling out the rest from. Though I have only done one whole readthrough, so I might have missed some hints.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ross posted:

Does book numero 6 have anything remotely resembling a release date? Am I going to have to wait until 2015? The blu-ray of Season 1 and then Season 2 can presumably tide me over for a couple years but I don't know if I can wait much longer than that.

He has said he won't even start working on it until next year. Though at least some of it is already written and got culled from A Dance with Dragons. Hopefully now that he's done with the mystical "knot" he'll be able to crank out the last few books. But he probably won't.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Whilst it's been mentioned that properly talking back to the past is impossible, Jon is legitimate. Robb legitimised him. Right now it's his Night's Watch vow that's keeping him from that.

While we infer that Robb did legitimmize Jon and proclaim him the heir to the North, whatever happened to that letter? Did it meet up with Ned's second letter from the first book and head south to Ashaai or something?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ross posted:

If anyone is looking for something to read in the meantime, I highly recommend "I, Claudius". It's kind of like a whole book written in first person by Tyrion.

Does Claudius find out where whores go?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

UR1S posted:

I also think that this book made it pretty clear that Jon is legitimate, since he has Warg powers like the other Starks (and Robb didn't).

Sansa doesn't warg, and we also never had a Robb POV to know if he warged into Grey Wind.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Quantify! posted:

The idea is NOT for Arya to lose her identity.

The idea is, can Arya maintain her identity even while pretending to be someone else all the time, and while being instructed that she MUST lose her identity to continue her training?

They WANT her to disobey - because they need assassins that can think for themselves instead of blindly following instructions, no pun intended. And people who would lose themselves in their fake identity would be pretty bad shapeshifting assassins.

It's a test to see if she's Faceless Man material - just like the worm test.

I don't know, that's pretty cliche, and this series is very rarely cliche.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fog Tripper posted:

Blind faith that gurm has a clue at this point is a pretty stupid extreme as well.

GRRM may not have a clue on lots of things, but one of the great things about this series are the small things that payoff several books later. He has issues tieing up plot threads, but he's god drat amazing at all the side comments and observations that you can piece together to make up the world of Westeros. The little details are where he thrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smarion2 posted:

Yeah that's what I mean by taking over. I don't really know what actions hes done in the Vale or King's Landing that was democratic but I think it's the direction the book will go.

Where are you getting that thought from? This series has constantly drilled into our heads that the lords don't give a single gently caress about the common man, and consider them on the same level as cattle. Even in a society like the Black Watch where they pick their leader - once he is picked his word is law and there is no going back or using a vote to influence his decisions. Westeros is not going towards a democracy one bit.