Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

There is a theory I've seen going around that Aegon is actually Illyrio's son. I'm not sure if I buy it but that does explain why Illyrio and Varys have a high stake in getting him crowned beyond "good of the realm" and "rightful heir"

If Lemore is really Ashara Dayne then she can probably verify that it is really Aegon. Unless she is in on the scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ray_ posted:

The whole way it all went down seemed crazy. What was with the giant killing Ser Patrek? Wonder if it had to do with Seleyse arranging Val's marriage to him?

Probably he was taking everyone's advice and trying to "steal" her, not realizing that it wasn't just a formality and that there would be a giant on guard duty.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scoobi posted:

Am I the only one optimistic that now that he is past his little knot that the books are going to come out much faster? He no longer has to worry about mereen and hbo is gonna be on his rear end and he put out SOS and ACOK pretty fast.

Yes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DFu4ever posted:

The one line given concerning Dany hearing Barristan trying to protect her from Drogon was the only time during this book when it felt like anything awesome happened. It wasn't someone dying some shocking death, or someone being phenomenally greedy yet cool, or a supernatural reveal. It was the one character that isn't annoying, isn't greedy, isn't stupid, and isn't a douchebag trying desperately to save his queen by selflessly trying to get a dragon's attention focused solely on him. It was probably the most heroic act in the series and it got a single line of mention.

He totally could have subverted his subersion of the genre by having the one true knight in the entire story slay an actual dragon at that point.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wasn't the party with the Iron Bank guy also supposed to be carrying word that one of Stannis' people was planning to betray him?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lamprey pie from wikipedia:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Edit: ^^^ I posted the same question in the spoiler-free thread a bit earlier today. I want to say I remember a scene where Jon was dispatching messages to Deepwood Motte, which is the way by which the Braavosi banker and Asha's crew found Stannis, making it reasonable to believe that they carried that intel with them. But despite finishing this thing last night I just can't recall for sure.

I thought that was the entire significance of the Iron Bank guy finally catching up to Stannis in the woods.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hotah and Selmy should get together for a beer sometime.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Substar posted:

How is Jon definitively Azor Ahai? The propecy states: "when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." The only person that fits that description, and fits it to the letter, is Dany.

But we don't know the circumstances of Jon's birth yet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dany is dense as gently caress.

No poo poo. "Hey marry me and I guarantee that that the rebels will stop fighting for 90 days," should have resulted in him getting locked up as obviously being a leader in the rebellion.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Were there any hints that Coldhands may be Benjen Stark? I kept an eye out but didn't see any.

It seemed likely the first time he appeared because Benjen had recently disappeared, but I don't think there has been anything more direct than that. In Dance with Dragons I kind of got the impression that Coldhands had roaming the woods for a lot longer than Benjen had been missing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Reo posted:

Re:Coldhands=Benjen; Doesn't Bran know what Benjen looks like?

I think his face is covered. And it seems like if there were any hint that he was Benjen then either he or Bran would have brought it up at some point.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

They are all pretty terrible. People can't draw shouldn't use Photoshop to "draw". Dany looks like a cheerleader.

Skin-tight hip-huggers are the traditional garb of barbarian princesses.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tekz posted:

Yeah man insurgencies always die away immediately on imprisoning people. People rightly hate the Dany chapters for being boring as hell, but marrying that guy to bring peace to the city was one of the few sensible decisions made. It's not that different from westerosi nobles marrying into each others families to forge alliances/peace after conflict.

If you are trying to track down people involved in the insurgency, it seems like a good idea to suspect the guy claiming that he can make it stop as soon as you give him what he wants.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Decapitation doesn't defeat insurgencies.

Dany basically negotiated with the Taliban from a position of strength and brought them into the government. The problem was she felt really, really bad about it.

I didn't say that she should decapitate him, just that the mystery of who might be involved in the insurgency should be considered solved if you find someone who claims that he can make it stop.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I meant decapitation figuratively, as in cutting off the head of an insurgency doesn't defeat it.

No but if you know someone who is involved then it makes it a lot easier to track down the rest of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Exactly. After all, since the US realized that bin Laden was the head of Al Qaida (circa 1990) they've been essentially neutralized.

Well you have to know where he is too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HUMAN FISH posted:

I even tried to spoil the book to a friend but I couldn't get past "Jon dies", "Kevan dies". There just isn't more to spoil. loving hell.

"Dany shits. Alot."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

I know fantasy, fantasy, but can stone actually support itself when you build that tall and big?

Sure. It's very easy with a wizard to help.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think Galazza Galare was the old nun (?) whom Dany was for some reason confiding everything to even though she was probably one of the Harpy ringleaders.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Also, picking on that poor girl because she suffers from leprosy is a pretty clear case of ableism.

:v:

Healthism.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is better than AFfC.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

do we findout why brienne lived? what was the word!

That is the kind of thing we would learn in a book where stuff actually happens.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Calef posted:

Alright everybody. Get ready for this.

ASoIaF Planet has seasons of unpredictable length. It doesn't seem to have a cold south pole as far as I am aware, because things just seem to get hotter the further south the characters go. It has a north pole which is dominated by the northern part of the Westeros continent which is always frozen.

My unsupported hypothesis is that Asshai-by-the-Shadow is the south pole of ASoIaF planet. My next unsupported hypothesis is that the Shadow is the hottest part of the world. My subsequent even crazier suggestion is that the Shadow is literally a shadow cast on the surface of the planet by a heavenly body.

You say, none of this makes and sense physically. I say, if this were a typical solar system you'd be right. But what if the sun is in fact orbiting another much more massive body, and the orbit of ASoIaF Planet circumscribes the mass centroid of the sun plus this other body, which will be located somewhere between the sun and that body? That would cause whichever end of the planet was most sun-wards to be consistently hot and the other end of the planet to be consistently cold, and perturbations to the procession of its revolution caused by OR related to passing COMETS or other high-mass stellar bodies would cause the length of effective seasons to shift.

If the other massive body in this case is a supermassive black hole which the planet's star is orbiting, then time and space itself are somewhat plastic. Before someone asks, it's perfectly possible to orbit a black hole. Furthermore, the only thing this theory actually has going for it is a star/black hole versus ice/fire synergy.

Boring alternative, the planet orbits a normal star but is somewhat tidally locked and has a sharply tilted axis and a crowded planetary neighborhood which alters its axial tilt to cause the seasonal shifts.

Or, the seasons are "magical" or some poo poo like that.

The author has said not to expect a logical, hard SF explanation for the variable seasons.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 1, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also got the impression that Coldhands has been roaming around for a lot longer than Benjen has been missing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

Since there is no Jeyne Poole in the tv show, i wonder if Roz is the one who is going to marry Ramsay.

She might have trouble passing for Arya I think. Passing her off as being 15-ish years younger would be a stretch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, so who exactly is the perfumed seneschal? Was it the boat? Illyrio? or was it that one guy who actually was a perfumed seneschal (jizzface mo cocksuck or some other ghiscari name I can't keep track of)?

No one knows.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Argali posted:

I'm starting to think that GRRM is having too much fun living the high life in Santa Fe now to care about the series, really. He just got married, and money must be pouring in from the hardcover and the HBO series. I bet he doesn't even bother to sit down and get to writing the next book, which will never come out, until at least the end of 2014.

Or maybe Cormac McCarthy will ghostwrite the end of the series?

I don't think he just got married.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quantify! posted:

The author apparently needs 5 years to finish his books as well so he's a lot like GRRM in many respects.

Doesn't he have an actual legitimate mental disorder that prevents him from working?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is going to be a chapter that was written for the latest book but got moved back to the next one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quantify! posted:

but she wasn't really dead...

Sure she was; she just didn't stay that way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martin Van Buren posted:

Actually the world of A Song of Ice and Fire is our world, hundreds of thousands of years in the future. The various gods are the remnants of the Noosphere, that destroyed humanity through warping reality, which hosed with the seasonal shifts and also introduced all these "magical" elements. Once the Noosphere realized it had no purpose now that humans are gone, it decided to restart humanity with minor changes in biology and stuff, and attempted to recreate the course of human history in this supernatural environment.

It all makes sense now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Might be a better fit to (book-1).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quantify! posted:

Oral tradition is pretty strong in this society, I doubt that would work.

It seems the other way around. Haven't the last book or two included accounts of historical events that contradict the popular telling of those events? If anything, oral tradition here is the way that the victors are making sure that history is on their side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ross posted:

Even when he was writing books straight with no break (the first three) it was two years between releases. He's stated that he's only written like 100 pages of the next manuscript and won't even start in on it again until the new year. I don't think there's any way we're seeing Book 7 until at least early-2014.

A more reasonable prediction:

Johnny Nomad posted:

So, I did the math based on the release days, and fit a polynomial curve to the data. This best fit polynomial was found to be Date = 261.3*book^2 - 218.86*book Extrapolating from that, I have scientifically determined that The Winds of Winter will be released on October 4, 2018, and A Dream of Spring on June 17, 2027. The full data set can be seen here.