Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I figured that's going to come up once Jon is resurrected because then he doesn't have his Night's Watch vows to hold him back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Her period was the fulfillment of the prophecy from that one lady which means she can finally have her Drogo back, but this time it's that other khal.

And he'll have zombie Drogo with them or something stupid like that

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

IRQ posted:

If the last 10 years have taught us anything, it's that Gurm's notes are probably some weak ending with no roadmap as to how to get to it. Not that HBO is going to stick it out for 7-8 seasons anyway.

The notes are probably about a dozen or so characters and plots that haven't been introduced to the reader yet.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Yo Sandor Clegane is still alive, right

I'm pretty sure GRRM was careful to have the island wizard priest say that The Hound had "moved on" or something vague

He said something like "the hound died"

and then a guy matching his exact physical description is pointed out

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Ashrik posted:

What's with the Frey pies? I don't remember reading that part so well.

Wyman Manderly, one of the only characters left that actually does anything, secretly kidnapped some Freys and baked them into pies, and then fed them to more Freys.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Joramun posted:

The Iron Bank's involvement is one of my favorite ongoing storylines (plus surprisingly accurate and relevant/insightful from an economics perspective, GRRM must have studied the field out of a personal interest), I can't wait to see where it's headed. They might even be the true victors (with some crony sock puppet on the throne) when all is said and done.

I agree that the Iron Bank is an interesting development, and considering how late it comes up, it really shows how there's just no way that Stannis has been destroyed yet.

Also cmon Theon is gonna be sacrificed because Mel needs the blood of a king or what have you.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

I haven't read that chapter but I am having a hard time imgining Theon write in his condition.

The sample chapter focused quite a bit on how the ravens are trained and only few can go to more than one castle. With a normal author that'd be an obvious Chekhov's gun situation but who knows with Martin. It seems to be foreshadowing that that letter probably isn't from Bolton.

smarion2 posted:

Sure, he can do what ever he wants. Stannis offered him Winterfell before he was deadish though and he didn't take it. I think it would be kinda silly taking it after coming back to life though (even though this is probably what will happen).

I figured he didn't take it because he took an oath, but now he's free from that.

Of course with Sansa being given the North by Petyr it seems like that's setting up for some conflict as well.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 1, 2012

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Trico posted:

How did people generally react to the Green Fork in the TV series? Did people feel cheated? I hadn't read the book when I watched the series, so I didn't really have a point of reference

It got a pretty big eye roll from me. If they had just done one of the two battles that way it would have been fine, but both major battles off camera? Lame.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sophia posted:

I don't really get why people expected anything else. At the time they were shooting it, HBO didn't know if anyone was even going to watch this show and it had to be ludicrously expensive even without battle scenes due to all of the characters, locations, period clothing and CGI. Since the showrunners were obviously trying to get down to the bones of a character-driven drama rather than a war show and they barely had enough time for the story as it was, I'm not surprised that they opted to make the CGI dragons awesome and put in another scene between two good actors instead of having a bunch of extras flailing around incoherently for 3 minutes while Catelyn looks pensive or whatever.

Now that the the show is somewhat of a hit and got award recognition, I imagine HBO will release the funds to do a battle scene (which is also a multi-chapter event instead of the 10 paragraphs or whatever Whispering Woods is in GoT) and the people making the show will also be able to use it as a set piece for character development much more easily. The Whispering Woods (as a scene itself) adds basically nothing to the characters. The outcome is all that matters.

The Green Fork one is slightly more important because Tyrion gets to come into his own a little, but it would also have been way more expensive to do so I also wasn't surprised that one was cut.

The thing to me is that the Green Fork showed Tyrion coming into his own, but the Whispering Wood showed that Robb is kind of a badass too. It would have done well as a nice setup for viewers who don't see the red wedding coming.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

Plus, remember that this was how it worked out in the book as well. The battle was more or less in the background, excepting the particularly long Tyrion bits. But they've already established a precedent of cutting Tyrion's actiony bits. In fact, the book usually uses the technique of having a character tell you about the battle rather than experiencing it firsthand. This is all to say I'll be happy without seeing very much of the blackwater, so long as they do it like the book does.

Huh? Davos's chapters showed quite a bit of the naval portion.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

The proof that Stannis isn't dead is that the preview chapter from Theon's POV is all about the inner workings of how the bird letter system works and that they caught the Karstarks already. It's pretty much a given that the letter is fake.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

empty sea posted:

Well, it would be kind of kickass if all the Stark children turned into crazy monsters after so long of STARKS ARE THE LAST BASTIONS OF HONOR BLAH BLAH. Arya the Faceless assassin of Essos, Wight Jon the King of Winter on the Wall, Bran the evil Three-Eyed Crow Wizard from beyond the Wall, Rickon the Cannibal, Cat the Zombie Vigilante...hmm.

Sansa better start growing some teeth in her vagina. Lady's wolf-teeth, of course. Since her only super power so far is being able to attract molesters at a truly alarming rate.

Sansa, Lady Vagina Dentata. :black101:

There is a little bit to this in that one of Dany's prophecies is revealing the lie about a blue eyed king with a red sword. Now that's probably Stannis (which goes to show he's not dead by Ramsay's hand), but oh man it would be awesome if that meant Jon was a wight king (don't they have blue eyes?)

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Klungar posted:

Are the "Winds of Winter" excerpts spoilers in this thread?

I don't think so, they've been discussed here before.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

With any other author that raven discussion in the Theon sample chapter would be an obvious chekhov's gun setup but knowing GRRM he probably just wanted to write about ravens.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

For some reason I thought his fleet was already destroyed by the Greyjoys (the very brief reference to the destroyed ships Sam passes).

edit: even if the next book does come out we probably won't hear about him again.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 16, 2012

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Rape Jake. posted:

It just seems to me that Clydas having access to Jon's letters and him hanging with Marsh et al is to obvious not to consider. Also noone knows that Jon turned down the lordship or was even offered it afaik. It seems that they're the only ones who could have known everything that was in the letter and the gratuitous sprinklings of "Bastard" almost scream Allister Thorne.

Edit: A second read has also kinda got me excited for all the poo poo that's set up. There is no way that the next book won't have some awesome poo poo go down, assuming it comes out.

edit 2: It's also made me realise how lovely some of the language is.

I thought the pink letter contained a ton of information that the NW guys wouldn't know.

Also I suggest everyone listen to Roy Dotrice reading that chapter. It's fantastic.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

It's not a ten year old plot twist if someone is only watching the show or reading the books because of the show, there's no need to be an antagonistic dick about it.

edit: considering your defense is just picking on his lack of commas it sounds like he has you pegged.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

There are a couple sex scenes but they're with middle aged adults and not really sexual in nature at all.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Odds on Jaime dying in the beginning of TWOW? It seems inevitable with Brienne dragging him along to catch up with Catelyn.

This is one plotline I can't figure out. It seems like it will end with one of Brienne, Jaime, or Stoneheart dying but none of their stories have really gone far enough for them to finish up so quickly. Jaime's redemption hasn't paid off and Stoneheart has a lot of vengeancing left. Which I guess means they'll all die.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

If you dig and twist, Quentyn DOES have aspects of interest about him. He's a further examination of the toxic nature of medieval hegemony that GRRM has been attacking the whole series, because it gets romanticized in so many other fantasy novels: Quentyn gets sent on his mission because he's the firstborn son and there's been a pact signed, and even a supposedly brilliant man like Doran can't see that this is not something that holds power in and of itself, but only has as much power as people perceive it does, ignoring all the other issues like Quentyn's lack of attractiveness (though funnily, official art doesn't really depict him as such, which suggests the artist missed the point) and anything resembling charisma or a personality, which again means his mission is doomed to failure. Of course, the whole point of a story is to entertain, and Quentyn's 'interesting aspects' ensure he doesn't.

Quentyn not being a POV and just being a little side character found dead in the dragon pit would've been funny but he works as a POV for the reasons you listed for sure. I think GRRM very much intends for Doran and Quentyn to be idiots because for the most part, all of the other schemers do quite well for themselves, but the Martells can be used an example of it not working.

Plus his accidental release of the dragons will cause Brown Ben Plumm to re-enlist with Dany's side as the fighting starts plus will have them out in the open for when Victarion pulls up and toots his horn. Seems like a big deal imo.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Cersei is quite the schemer and her poo poo is most def not working at the moment.

Edit: I hope Victarions horn really does work and nets him one dragon and forces Kelly C's hand (into his pants) in order to keep the set complete.

Victarion is an idiot who thinks the horn must be "claimed with blood" means he needs to rub his blood on it and not that you need to kill the owner to claim it. His thralls will die and Euron will get a dragon.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

visceril posted:

I think that that might be true, but that paying the Iron Price for the horn successfully transfers ownership to non-Valyrians, and then anyone could blow the horn and the owner would get the dragon.

I have to give the fat gently caress credit for that one, that's a good twist

It's either an iron price twist or another Quentyn-like story but this time as a vehicle to deliver the dragon horn to Dany so she can finally control them. Maybe both?

kcroy posted:

If he wanted to, I'm sure blowing the dragon horn of her heritage could be a second time, where it would make perfect sense for her blood to protect her from the fire magic.

I've always thought that Arya was being set up to go after Jon. I think Jon makes most sense as the Night's King, with Bran as resident Trivo advisor. I don't think Bran is going anywhere. I have no loving idea what is up with Rickon - maybe he gets to pull an Aemon, and just chill the gently caress out having fun, banging the natives, and getting by with the Bear Necessities.

BTW you think that Benjen is maybe the night's king these days? Still waiting for that mother fucker to show up.

And who the gently caress is coldhands already?

Why are the wites trying to kill Bran and coldhands? Just because? Or are they being directed to by white walkers. I'm really confused about all the factions and how they are going to pull together. I'm expecting 3-4 more books btw. I've never believed his lies about how many books there are to write. The fat gently caress will keep (not) writing till he drops.

Coldhands is Bloodraven warged into a wight.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Aurain posted:

The only bad thing about a Cleganebowl would be the fact that Cersei is almost definitely not going to die because of a failed trial by combat, so it would mean Sandor dies to his zombie brother and that's lame as all hell.

If it's just some random church guy or Lancel, I don't think anyone would mind.

Jaime is the valonqar and is already prophesied to fight Bobby Strong according to that dream which is Brienne (wearing Hound helm) and Jaime vs Strong.

Maybe there's a first trial by combat with Lancel or something but I'm pretty sure it's a 2 on 1 fight later.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Majorian posted:

I'm expecting to see something like this - not a full redemption arc, but at least enough to make the readers feel sad for her when she dies. It kind of reminds me of Shakespeare's character arc with Richard II, actually, where he's a total loving dipshit through most of the play, but then we he gets overthrown he starts to realize (too late) how stupidly he acted. It shows that a character can be a martyr and also an easily hate-worthy dickhead in the same story.

It's very much in GRRM's style to do that, as he appears to try to avoid letting the reader take pleasure in a character's death, comeuppance or not.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Lycus posted:

I figure Arya's gonna get some more Faceless training, go rogue, than go after someone important. It's Littlefinger and Sansa I have no clue about. With Dany, maybe-fake-Aegon, Euron, Stannis and the Others all eventually gonna throwdown, I can't imagine where those two fit in.

Perhaps those two intersect in some way, as LF is just about the only guy who can go toe-to-toe with Varys' scheming.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

drat, so she's gonna marry aegon.....or jon.

quote:

Henry Tudor, a distant relative of the Lancastrian kings who had inherited their claim, defeated Richard at Bosworth in 1485. He was crowned Henry VII, and married Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV, to unite and reconcile the two houses.

Seems that way.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Lycus posted:

Though jokes aside, would Dany really be that vindictive toward family members that did her no harm?

Dany now or Dany further down her Aerys arc?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

He is visibly upset and frustrated that people are constantly telling him "You're gonna die soon, so hurry up and write before you die, because you are fat and will die soon. Did I mention that I think you will die before you finish your book?". I think it is completely reasonable to be upset in that sort of situation.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

GNC is ~aight as crazy GRRM conspiracy theories go, since it is an easy one to accept conditionally.

We know the Manderlys, Glovers and Mormonts are up to something, so it's not that unreasonable to go "well, maybe some of these other people are in on it too" without having to assume that all the minor background actions of House Nobody are some kinda big intricate narrative clues. And to go "Well, they're desperate for Stark leadership, so mebbe they would accept Jon,"

pare out stuff like all the riverlords being involved and it's just a minor elaboration on what's presented in the books already.

Huis Clos is probably the height of ridiculous theorizing because the dude reads way too much into everything without even drawing any conclusions.

they were cold

they huddled over their fire because that is what people do when it is cold

we don't need to read into this

GNC is pretty believable and makes a lot of sense. "All/most of the northern houses are conspiring to destroy the traitor that betrayed their beloved king" seems pretty well supported by the books so far. I would be more surprised if it wasn't true (even including riverlord participation).

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Man how do they keep leaking that poo poo.

It showed up on Dish On Demand and HBO Go.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Elman posted:

That's what's hosed up, before this season I was thrilled to watch more. We're getting new content! Sansa's already finished her book arc and there's no way they'll just leave the battles of Mereen and Winterfell as cliffhangers, we might get some cool new stuff! gently caress the Gurm, I was ready to ignore the books and just enjoy the show.

Then this season came out and it was the worst poo poo I've ever watched willingly. Now I'm back to hoping George will finish the drat book before season 6, even though that's just gonna move the goalposts and it won't give me any real closure :negative:

They've left enough book chapters out that they're probably going to re-introduce those filler chapters, at least based on the current casting calls. Season 6 might not introduce much of anything. A whole season of Craster's Keep quests.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Iggles posted:

Wait, this is really a theory? How can that be squared with him taking on 3 trainees at once the day before? Call me crazy but I always assumed his fingers were unresponsive because he'd just been STABBED IN THE THROAT

It's not that he can't draw, it's that his hand stiffens up if he doesn't constantly flex it. He was able to take on 3 trainees because he had already drawn his sword without them surprising him.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Another theory I've seen speculates that it's about Sansa and Littlefinger because his old family sigil is a giant, or something. Not the Umber one.

The Baelish sigil is the Titan of Bravos, which could easily be called a savage giant. Or it's a doll.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Traxus IV posted:

That was my takeaway from the snow castle vision. Wasn't that when Littlefinger forces a kiss on Sansa and Lysa sees him do it? Which then sends her into a tizzy that ends in a quick jaunt out the Moon Door. I figured that was the significance of it, but then it's been a while since I read it last.

Unrelated question: How did Dondarrion recognize Catelyn's corpse when he found it in the river? Or did he just see a dead lady and was upset about it? I'm not sure that they'd ever met while either of them were alive, Beric being from the Stormlands and Cat being from the Riverlands/the North and was on the down-low when she was in King's Landing. I can't remember why he insisted she be brought back to life, or why he cared enough to do it himself when Thoros wouldn't.

He could have seen her at some point in King's Landing, or maybe the brotherhood had heard how she was murdered and saw the body of woman with a slit throat on the side of the river, seeing as there probably weren't that many women among the dead. Or maybe because the whole thing resurrection thing is divine intervention he was willed into finding her.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

MrSlam posted:

Didn't like the Sand Snakes, eh? Thought it was a poorly executed boondoggle to give Bronn and Jaime something to do, eh? Well how about we give them all the obnoxious showboating plot armor in the world!

This season will end with Danaerys uniting the Khalasars with a rousing speech and uniting with Dorne against those mean ol' powerless armyless Lannisters. Also, Jorah dies sacrificing himself after infecting literally everyone in Essos.

And why the hell would the Boltons fight the Lannisters at this point? They're allied with them and they already won the north.

Sansa is still wanted as a suspect for Joffrey's murder, so marrying Ramsay to her is sort of a "hey gently caress you" to the Lannisters.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

kcroy posted:

I thought about that, and was hoping for a moment, but like... what do they gain by turning him over? If they were planning for a betrayal why not just bend the knee or something.

My only thought on him not bending the knee is this way he's not breaking a promise if he is setting him up. Of course this is probably going to be played as straight as possible and the Umbers really are siding with the Boltons, so it doesn't matter.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

kcroy posted:

whats up with Ned hearing Bran's voice? What are the implications?

He's going to interact with the past in a way that sets the course for the current events to happen. Prior to the last episode I figured he was going to accidentally distract Dayne in the same way he yelled to Ned.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Dear lord Hodor Hold Door that would just be the worst. It's too bad GURM will never give us the true secret of Hodor and Old Nan but I'm sure it would be much cooler than that.

I thought it was never going to be explained in the books, there's no need for it. He has broca's aphasia but obviously no one would be able to diagnose that, so it's just Hodor being Hodor.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Neds remains are one of those things that just flaps in the breeze long forgotten by GRRM.

I dunno if this counts as long forgotten seeing as they come up in ADWD. Unless you mean forgotten in the sense that it's all forgotten since the rest of the story will go unwritten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Who was the dude who had the weight hand in a glass jar?

That was Thorne I think