Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think Lord Manderley just shot up to my top five favorite characters.

Such a bad-rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Since Martin said he cut out about 100 already written pages from ADWD and moved them to the next book, some of which resolve dangling plotlines from both ADWD and AFFC, any guesses as to what plotlines they are?

Also I have a feeling if he had kept those 100 pages Dragons would have been a more satisfying book.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2011

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Ixian posted:

Sansa was cut for certain; he mentioned a year or two ago he was pushing her back. Brienne, Arienne, and Damphair were later confirmed to be in the next book as well, but I don't know if they were written then pushed back or he always planned that.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/217066.html#cutid1

quote:

Actually, though, it might be easier to tell you who they aren't. Sansa, Sam, Aeron Damphair, Arianne, and Brienne have no chapters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Several of those characters had chapters written, completed, and polished that have been moved into THE WINDS OF WINTER. Part of that editorial process I mentioned up above.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Remind me what the Laughing Knight is again?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just finished. Pretty much had the same opinion as everyone else. I'm pretty concerned Martin has become Robert Jordan Jr. and no longer has any idea how to move the plot forward in a meaningful way. I think he could have satisfied a lot of people if the last chapter with Dany, instead of ending on an ambiguous note, had her taking out the trebuchets on the back of Drogon, then telling everyone to pack their poo poo because they are headed to Westeros. There - now we have something to look forward to in the next book. Instead we have probably another 5 chapters of her diddling around.

Also tired of him introducing new characters that don't do anything. As someone else mentioned, Asha's entire plot was told in Bolton's letter. Quentyn could have had two chapters: him showing up and getting denied by Dany, and then him trying to tame the dragon.

I'm really hoping either HBO forces a real editor on to him, or he dies and Brandon Sanderson takes over.

I'm nervous Martin doesn't have the indepth notes that Jordan left, which has helped make Sanderson's WoT so good.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

literallyincredible posted:

I don't actually think there's anyone working in fantasy right now who even could finish the books without a major tonal shift and drop in quality. Sanderson is way too squeaky clean--he works for PG-13 RJ, not NC-17 Martin. Joe Abercrombie would be the best fit in terms of genre sensibilities, prose style, knack for cliffhangers, etc. But even he isn't an exactly perfect fit--Martin is definitely better at worldbuilding, for one thing. (though I'm a huge Abercrombie fan)

But the dialogue is the main thing. Martin can write a chapter that is literally nothing but a conversation (like all the Davos chapters in Dance) and it can really, really work. Nobody else in fantasy can pull that off consistently. I suspect it has something to do with Gurm's long career as a screenwriter, because writing for TV well is 95% writing good dialogue.

If he dies, I hope the showrunners finish it because the show is a drat good thing in its own right. But I actually don't want another author trying to do their best Martin impression.

True, I can't think of another fantasy writer who can write snappy dialog and has the world-building aspect that Martin does.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 17, 2011

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I don't know if you guys are trolling or serious when you say stuff like this. Is your position honestly that GRRM tells stories in a way that stands head & shoulders above other writing and that if he died no one could take his place

Please let us know what other fantasy authors have the combination of snappy dialog, intricate plots, and world-building that Martin does. I'd love to discover some new great books to read.

Actually I'd be just interested in fantasy authors who can write dialog as well he can.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

b0lt posted:

I'd put Steven Erikson on par with GURM on dialog (kruppe rules) and higher with respect to world building. More importantly he actually treats writing as a job and puts books out of the length of DWD every year or so, instead of making readers wait 6 years between books.

edit:

Read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series

I am reading Malazan (on Gardens of the Moon). But I wouldn't put him at nearly the same level of dialog as Martin.

I'll give you that he rivals him on Worldbuilding though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Was reading an article from a TV critic who was saying this about ASoIaF

quote:

The level of backstory and information there is about each and every aspect of Martin’s world is really only rivaled by Tolkien’s Middle-earth and the Star Wars universe. (

I don't know, I'd put Malazan and WOT up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

SirKibbles posted:

But you want to know the best part? GRRM just came out and said the show is 97% his ending so if you don't like where Arya,Sansa,Jon, or Dany end up? You waited 20+ years to get this tire fire of an ending that shits on all the themes he wrote and is more just outright bitter than bittersweet

Where did he say this?