Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Just finished. Pretty much had the same opinion as everyone else. I'm pretty concerned Martin has become Robert Jordan Jr. and no longer has any idea how to move the plot forward in a meaningful way. I think he could have satisfied a lot of people if the last chapter with Dany, instead of ending on an ambiguous note, had her taking out the trebuchets on the back of Drogon, then telling everyone to pack their poo poo because they are headed to Westeros. There - now we have something to look forward to in the next book. Instead we have probably another 5 chapters of her diddling around.

Also tired of him introducing new characters that don't do anything. As someone else mentioned, Asha's entire plot was told in Bolton's letter. Quentyn could have had two chapters: him showing up and getting denied by Dany, and then him trying to tame the dragon.

I'm really hoping either HBO forces a real editor on to him, or he dies and Brandon Sanderson takes over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm nervous Martin doesn't have the indepth notes that Jordan left, which has helped make Sanderson's WoT so good.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing before that Martin had said on his death, all his notes were to be destroyed. Not sure if he was joking around or what, but he's a big enough rear end in a top hat that I believe it.

Although I'd have to imagine that's changed since HBO spent $100 million.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

literallyincredible posted:

Yeah if someone said something to me to the effect of "you better not gently caress your job up like your good friend did by dying" I'd likely tell them to gently caress themselves as well.

I doubt it was meant in an insulting way. The guy is a morbidly obese 62 year old. He said he won't start on the next book until 2012. I know we joke about him dying, but I honestly would be surprised if he lived long enough to finish the next book. I can't imagine the odds are in his favor.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

literallyincredible posted:

I don't actually think there's anyone working in fantasy right now who even could finish the books without a major tonal shift and drop in quality. Sanderson is way too squeaky clean--he works for PG-13 RJ, not NC-17 Martin. Joe Abercrombie would be the best fit in terms of genre sensibilities, prose style, knack for cliffhangers, etc. But even he isn't an exactly perfect fit--Martin is definitely better at worldbuilding, for one thing. (though I'm a huge Abercrombie fan)

Actually, you are right. Sanderson is too PG-13 for this series. I think since the world is already built that Abercrombie could do a drat good job. That guy knows how to write a battle scene, and there are some huge battles coming up.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Scoobi posted:

In every book before this the Manderly's have been portrayed as fat and craven, everyone shits all over Wyman for being so huge he can't even ride on a horse. As of AFFC we thought Davos had been captured and killed by the Manderly's. As it turns out, not only are the Manderly's not that craven, they are infact super badass motherfuckers. He lets a bunch of freys into his court, lets them make their jokes and cracks, while simultaneously plotting to put the Starks back into power backed by his huge loving fleet of warships. He gets his son back, then he kills said freys after clearing the obligation of guest rights, bakes them into pies, and feeds them to all the Northern lords who have turned their back on the Starks.

"… but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

Basically, the North is loving hardcore and Manderly, despite being seen as maybe a southern northerner, is made of sterner stuff than most.

What the hell chapter was that? I missed that completely.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

BeigeJacket posted:

Who will be the head of House Lannister now that Kevan is dead?

Oh god...didn't Tywin have a sister that married one of the Freys?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Guess who is sitting next to me at SFO?

He found out I'm a Chargers fan and signed my iPad with "GO JETS!"

That absolute fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hey jerks, I want to buy a first edition book to have GRRM sign:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556341&pagenumber=1#lastpost