Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Factor_VIII posted:

I feel the same way regarding the show. I don't think it would be able to maintain my interest since I already know what happens and I'd rather watch something else instead.

I don't understand this at all. I like watching adaptations of things I've read because I like seeing them come to life. Sure I know exactly how Joffrey dies but goddamn if I can't wait to see that play out on the screen. I also can't wait for the ensuing shitstorm of non-spoiled people demanding to know why he's still alive post-Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You can't be serious.

Olenna was, without a doubt, the BEST character.

And SHE kills Joffrey! What the poo poo?!

:psyboom:

I can get them wanting to make it more apparent that Margaery poisons Joffrey (since I personally think she actually does it in the book anyway) but I adore that shouty poo poo-talking old lady and I'll be sad if she is cut :(

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

So I went to Fandom Secrets today because I needed a larf and I wasn't disappointed.

I'm guessing this is what happens when preteen girls graduate from Twilight to attempting to tackle the GURM :gonk:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

Sansa is pulling a Cersei?

But I thought Bran's junk didn't work, and it's not like there are any other Stark males

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Bhaal posted:

Also it won't be that jarring to have Tommen as a teenager in the show because he's had an inbred lovely coddled upbringing just like joffrey, so an infatuation with kittens and undeveloped sexuality when he clearly looks 16 or whatever won't be that out of place.

I actually really want to see it play out like this now, especially with the insinuations of abuse by Joffrey. There'll still be an obvious age difference between him and Margaery anyway so she can still believably manipulate him against Cersei. And yes, Ser Pounce or bust :3:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

I sent that bitch a lemoncake. Bitches love lemoncakes.

My next custom title.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Greatbacon posted:

Not to mention how much the Japanese love hosed up sex poo poo.

Incest? Why not. poo poo, throw in some Drowned God tentacles, that'll go over well.

Oh god no just think of the lolification :pedo: :gonk:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Social commentary aside, the love interest (forgot his name, since hes no mr darcy) is just kind of a douche. Throw in the crazy wife in the attic and poor Jane should run, as fast as she can, and never look back before she gets chainsaw murdered

I first read it in 1998 and even then I was imagining Rochester's lines in Alan Rickman's voice which is probably why I liked it as much as I did.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Some of the fan designed stuff isn't bad. I like this shirt

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Ambiguatron posted:

HBO confirmed for San-San shippers.

I feel dirty because I know that term.

I really hope there is a way to block the "sansan" tag from my tumblr feed because jesus christ.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Stone cold killa Bran

Nice new avatar, by the way.

(although you should change it back to Robb for the RW)

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Littlefinger has been completely screwed over this season, as all of his plans are just laid bare and he makes his desires known to just about everyone ever. He's definitely a con in this season.

I'm still hoping they intentionally have him being unsmooth and kind of a bungler this season so it makes his Joffrey-killing and Sansa-abducting seem more impressive.

Also where the gently caress is Dontos :mad:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I remember stocking her books all the time when I was at Borders, mostly because they look like this and it was a refreshingly skimpy break from the usual "flowing, flowering bodice" most covers in the romance section had. The books made it sound like "Charmed with a better budget" but I'm not surprised at all to find that there's weird wish-fulfillment polygamy going on as well.

Sup former Borders grunt :hf:

I still think it's hard to top Laurell K. Hamilton for wish-fulfillment polygamy; if I recall correctly, her faerie "detective" (she detects nothing except supernatural dicks) is pregnant with twins by five different dudes. I can't remember how this is supposed to work. I haven't actually read any of them from start to finish; my friends and I just used to get drunk and read passages out loud.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

Oh man, I remember reading about them (more accurately, reading about the comic book adaptation). Did anything ever actually happen in any of them? Other than her getting twins from five fathers?

Well, I remember one bit where she literally hosed some earth elemental type guy back into the ground. Also in the first book, she had a selkie boyfriend named Roan, whom she hosed the seal back into and melted her bedposts in the process, because she's descended from like eight fertility goddesses and has a magical vag.

Other than her loving her way (and the sex always being dry and clinical because LKH is a terrible writer) to her aunt's throne, I don't know if there was any more plot to speak of.

Also "where is my darkness, bring me my darkness" is her "nipples on a breastplate"

E: also "blood looks the same on black marble as white marble" or something similarly stupid

Waffle Ho fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 18, 2012

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

empty sea posted:

Ahh, God. I remember reading those books. Somehow they're even worse than her vampire necromancer were-whathaveyou series. There used to be sort of plots in the Anita Blake books but that quickly devolved to just a couple hundred pages of supernatural loving and erotic mind rapes. I used to read them to make myself laugh because drat that woman is creepy. I swear Hamilton has a closet full of stained fur suits.

You can pinpoint the downward spiral with Anita Blake as starting with her split from her ex-husband. After that the sex ramped up and got totally loving ridiculous, and she wrote her new fanboy husband into the series as Micah. :gonk:

It's too bad, the first four or so books of the series were really decent.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

empty sea posted:

LOOK WHERE ALL OF HIS HONOR GOT NED, ROBB.

But that's my favorite thing about this series. Anybody doing "the right thing" fails in the most spectacular way possible. I'm so glad we're getting Robb's Downward Boner on screen because oh god this is going to pay off down the line in spades

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

The levity of her kills and any of the nuance they had (especially pointing out how naive she is about the powers she has) seem mostly lost when her first kill was taking out the Tickler thus destroying a future Emmy-winning scene for Arya's actress.

As cool as that scene is I rather doubt that the average TV viewer will remember that two seasons from now.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Mance Rayder already sounds like a retarded space name.

The first time I read "Mance Rayder" I pictured him with a ray gun.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

Speaking of the wolves, did Ned make Sansa bury Lady after he slit her throat?

That'd be kind of a dick move, don't you think?

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

Imagine Walder and Cersei discussing their wolf wear. Cersei is Cruella and Walder is Mr. Burns.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Smashurbanipal posted:

But has Littlefinger actually RAPED someone yet? Yeah, he kissed Sansa in the courtyard, but i don't think that counts

He starts amping up the daddy kink thing at the end of AFFC because Sansa is getting accustomed to him and he can now get away with it. Forcible rape isn't his style, especially since he thinks he can get her to love him back ("hey baby, I'll totally get Winterfell back for you").

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

Did he actually pull her onto his lap?

He does at the end of AFFC when he gives her the genealogy lecture.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Really though, her options were to leave and go back North with a badass protecting her, or stay basically a captive of either the Lannisters who she hates, or Stannis who is a hardliner. She is his opponents sister and the only reason she thinks he won't hurt her is because drunk Cersei told her so.

This is why they should've brought Dontos back sooner :mad: Now all these dumb babbys are going to be asking why didn't she run off with the scary homicidal guy, he seems legit.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Exactly. Despite him saying he loves killing repeatedly, he's just a big softie at heart!

Just ask all the Sandor fangirls who call him "Puppy" and "Sandy"

(I wish I were loving kidding)

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

3Romeo posted:

Also, the fandom in which we find ourselves is more than a little creepy (i.e. the SanSan fans, WHAT THE gently caress) so the more palatable they make the show the better I'll feel about enjoying it and talking about it to other people.

I think the funniest thing about SanSan fans is their propensity to call the TV adaptation a "lovely fanfic series" while simultaneously penning excrement about how Sandor and Sansa had a dozen babies and lived happily ever after. I hope they keep giving Baelish all of Sandor's lines just because it makes them SO MAD.

Seriously, gently caress anybody who called Blackwater poo poo. I really hope they get Neil Marshall back for something in the future.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

Regarding the SanSan reaction, we should keep in mind that Gurm himself wrote this episode, making him the Wildest of Cards. It almost makes up for the fact that ADWD was the last book we'll be getting in the series. Almost.

Absolutely none of them will acknowlege that GRRM ruined their ship, by the way. They've been calling exclusively for the blood of D&D and HBO suits :allears:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Where did the term "shipper" come from?

E: oh, relationships? I am new to this fanfic thing. I still don't understand what slash fanfic is.

"Slash" always indicates "gay", e.g. Kirk/Spock. Unless it's animu, then it's "yaoi".

(I know more about this kind of thing than I care to :( )

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Huh, I've been reading the SA ASoIaF thread since it was in GBS and I'm sure this is the first time I've seen the term SanSan.

Thank christ, this is the only forum I discuss ASoIaF on for a reason. No discussion of "shipping" except to make fun of the people who do it.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

quote:

Access: Joe Dempsie (Gendry) came by and he told us the fans taught him the word ‘shipping.’ Is that also how you learned that one?

Sophie Turner: Yes, I learnt this term. And I was like, ‘What is ‘shipping’? I was really confused. There’s a lot of shipping going on in terms of ‘Game of Thrones.’

I'm terrified some of these people are going to come up to the kids at signings and ask them to autograph copies of their terrible rule 34 fanart. I think that happened in multiple instances in both LOTR and HP fandom, but thankfully my memory is blocking any specifics and I don't wish to google for it

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Krazyface posted:

I'm pretty sure Sophie Turner actually mentioned "SanSan shippers" in that season 1 audio commentary.

She is on Twitter, I imagine they like to stuff her inbox with creepy bullshit.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Octy posted:

Wasn't the photoshop Pippin and Merry?

That sounds about right. I swear somebody did it for the Weasley twins in HP too. :gonk:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

As for the Twilight fans: I'm not going to say that one's necessarily an example of being really hosed up. They're teenagers in front of their pre-eminent lust object; expecting rationality from them is crazy. That said, the whole cast of Twilight deserve their ridiculous wages for dealing with that poo poo.

I actually have a lot of respect for Pattinson, not only does he admit that he only does Twilight for the money but he openly mocks both his fans and Stephenie Meyer. I know in some interview he referred to it as her creepy housewife fantasy (maybe not in those exact words, but that was the gist of it).

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

And of course the wonderful Bronn/Hound from last episode.

I weep for the bromance that will never be. What cutesy portmanteau couple name would they have? Bround?

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd watch a show with them as the stars. Call it Men Without Honor.

They're missing out on a goldmine not making special webisodes for this series. I'm still waiting on the Frasier-esque spinoff with Littlefinger and Varys.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

Baby I hear the birds a'callin
White Walkers and Dragon Eggs.
(Mercy)
And if I seem a bit confused
Yeah maybe, but I've got you played.

But I don't know what to do with those White Walkers and Dragon Eggs.

They're comin' again.

White Walkers all over the place. What is a eunuch to do?

e: Meanwhile Littlefinger gets this for his theme song.

:golfclap:

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would be very cross to find my traditional Schwarzenegger had been replaced by that fat gently caress smacking his lips.

Yeah I just got this Carcettifinger, I want no part of Gurm licking off crackling grease.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

My prediction is that Tyrion won't even try to go there with her and will be super chivalrous about it and Sansa will keep her clothes on.

Mainly because Sophie Turner is still under 18 and Tyrion is enough of a fan favorite that they won't want him to come off as a chomo.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

chomo = child molester? where's the first o come from?

I dunno, but having a parent who worked for the county attorney's sex crimes division I sure used to hear that word a lot.

(There was also an attorney there who preferred the term "diddling the kinder")

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

BEHOLD!

I can't believe I did it on my first try.

That's it. Nobody can possibly top that. Just close the thread.

(again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Sophia posted:

Yeah, I am not shipping them, but I got that impression from when they were arguing by the river in the episode where he was like "you are a girl" and from when they were hanging out in Harrenhal and he was shirtless and working on making a sword or something and Arya was checking him out hardcore. The latter was especially blatant.

It's possible I just know too many girls who watch this show and have been imprinted with their impressions as well, though.

No, in the first scene you described they have that kind of squabbling banter going on that's pretty commonly depicted in immature relationships. People eat that kind of poo poo up (see also Ron/Hermione). If they leave in Acorn Hall next season there will probably be more of it.

(Note that I do not think that they will acquiesce to crazy shipper demands by any stretch of the imagination; I'd actually enjoy it if they straight trolled them like the Avatar guys)

Waffle Ho fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 4, 2012