Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elmer fud posted:

I have spoiled for 4 people so far who are seriously into ASOIAF, and 20+ for people who just watch it.

I'm going to make a facebook post, someone give me advice to make it better.

"Robb Stark dies at the Red Wedding. Betrayed by the Freys and Karstarks. All of his men are butchered after he breaks his wedding promise to the Freys. Grey Wind's head is sown onto Robb's corpse's head."

This sounds like a really funny idea and not something a brainless simpleton would do. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

So yeah. I posted in the tviv thread last night and got this glorious pm a half hour later:

I never posted any spoilers. Are the tviv posters just such nazi's they can't deal with me mentioning gurm taking 3 books to reveal who Barristan Selmy was and the show did it in the s3 premiere? :wtc:

I had some fartknocker jump on me because I said wights and white walkers are different things. They're a special breed in that thread.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Oh hey I just remembered that they've left out Robb legitimizing Jon.

Edit: also take a look at Roose's sword.

Very homoerotic. I love it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

After the first season I said I wouldn't do nudity anymore.

Why do you think GRRM wrote something other than the penultimate episode this season?

I thought it wasn't revealed who the nudey actress was? Just a "major female character".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The TVIV spoiler thread has made a pact not to ruin the Baby Threads fun and leave them alone post RW.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Really people, you want agony and grief and tears and all that good stuff from the baby thread in a little less than 18 hours, then you really should follow the suggestion to leave them alone for a bit: if you ride in cackling as soon as the episode's done and start throwing around your gifs and RED WEDDING SUCKERS, you're going to smother the reaction in its crib before it can get anywhere and switch the non-spoiled's rancor to you. This sort of thing is best served and sampled cold: hold back, be patient, let them stew in it for a day or two, THEN you can come in if you're so inclined. It's less 'spare them' than 'Don't jump in too fast or you'll poo poo your bed instead of theirs'.

You think waaaay too much about other people's enjoyment of posting "Omg" and watching television at the same time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think it's funny how up in arms everyone is getting over it. Is this website still Something Awful?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also kinda cool how the spoiler thread dudes are the ones paying for av changes. :3:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ambivalent posted:

That's pretty much the point. Digesting ASOIAF in book form isn't some noble or erudite effort as opposed to watching the show, and feeling smug about it is incredibly goofy.

Treating their use of 'book reader' as some slur against all written work (and not a slur against the guys who come into the thread and refer to them as 'illiterates' and mock them, or spoil them, or PM them spoilers, and so on), and characterizing them as cave men slinging rocks at people who read books, is dishonest and similarly goofy. There's plenty of people who post in the show thread who have read the books and don't get yelled and cursed at.

They're irritated because they feel like there are these other threads that sit around mocking them and poking them, and they've had plenty enough examples of it. I know you didn't buy those people those custom titles but it's easy to forgive them for thinking that there's a few people here who think it was a great idea. You also have people like Judakel who PM spoilers to anyone whenever the thread's discussion becomes something he doesn't like. Or any number of other posters who jump in and tweak the thread in any number of ways.

Sure, those people just wanted to gently caress with people, but there's a few of them who couched their efforts in some notion of 'pick up a drat book, you illiterate morons.'

Is there a tv version of this post so I can get through it?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Still not getting anything.

Bite me, you loving weird idiot.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Mutato posted:

Pretty sure Howland was warging all over the place in that battle.

I see people saying this a lot, but where is it even said that Reed is a Warg at all, let alone powerful enough to use it in a sword fight.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I always thought of it as "even 7 battle hardened northerners, fresh from campaign could only barely beat these 3 hard core mother fuckers".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

factorialite posted:

I don't have the books in front of me, but didn't it say that Arthur Dayne was, like, way better than everyone else in that era?

I've thought before on who the "best fighter" really is in the books, but I could never come up with anything conclusive, except that I thought Dayne was supposedly the greatest of them all. I could have read it wrong.

I think a lot of what is supposed to be "the best" is coloured by the POV character's perceptions. Jaime thinks Dayne is the best because he knighted him in the middle of a battle against some hardcore bandits. It's like, there is no hard and fast power level ratings or whatever, but just people that distinguished themselves in prominent ways.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shoehead posted:

The Metro Herald is a free paper for commuters and hobos in Dublin, on Wednesday they had this on their front page-

Fair warning right?

Page 3-

Well.. Okay but they DID warn you.

Needless to say, people lost their fuckin' minds.

Edit: Oh yeah I should point out that it airs here on Sky on Monday nights, less than 12 hours after it's on HBO.

loving :lol: at photoshop Robb's face.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Where the gently caress is rarity?

We need to hammer out the details of me doing episode 3-10's thread.

Just post it first. What's she gonna do?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

stille posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Talisa getting stabbed?

Is typing "talisa stab gif" into your browser's address bar too hard?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stop saying babby.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The tv thread is loving funny with those spoiler avs. Instead of just playing it off while it's quietly dealt with, about 4 jackasses show up with sirens in their posts warning of "100% true spoilers, if you've seen an av with red text, it was a spoiler, you've been spoiled. It was not fake. Turn avs off btw".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'll be pissed if HBO finishes the story first, since I know I wouldn't be able to resist watching and I'd rather read the books first.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

So, as someone who marathoned the series all at once, you have no idea what you're talking about and should stay out of this thread until you've waited for six years between books multiple times.

Haha. Good job proving that article's point you crackbrained twit.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

We've seen better than the likes of you.

I didn't realise I was taking part in a contest.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Personperson14 posted:

That's why there's only two really good parodies out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUKDZFiy-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

One of the great things about the first one is it could get the baby thread mad.

That first one is funny.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SaviourX posted:

Yo, you want to know about life down on the corners of Lotus Port? Slinging that poppy milk? About the boys touting Poppy-Pop, Pirate's Delight, Arbor Fine, all that? Trying to sell poo poo to the fiends that they don't even need 'cause it's all the princes left to us?

First thing's first, everybody thinks we all just straight Islanders down here, but it's a mix. All up and down the coast, ships every day, man. We got every shade, every colour. Folks from up in Highgarden, Pentos, Asshai, wherever. Like Slaver's Bay, only most folks that end up here end up in the bottom of a bottle or the end of a milk pipe instead of an auction.

poo poo gets hard out here for a boy near the docks, but you know, sometimes it gets real whack. My moms' brother a city watch, and he told her about some poo poo the other week, where some crates stacked on the docks cracked open in the heat and what they first thought was rotten meats was dead slaves. Stacked up to the top, sealed in tight.

Like, what the gently caress is that? And people call us backwards and violent and poo poo. I heard the captain and first mate show up two days later with no hands and no faces. poo poo like that.

I hear them pale rear end folks up north coming down here always complaining about war or how winter's so long or lord so-and-so be sweating boys delivering a package. Bet they never had to deal with a hurricane viper before. Or a blood whale. Now that poo poo is real.

Oh poo poo, look, it's Spoony! That's my main man over there with his bottom cur. I hear he makes out like a pirate down at the mines. Got gold, curs, sworn swords, a modified carriage. His name rings out! poo poo, I wish I could get up out of this here and do like he do.

We been trying to move some of the stuff they dig out on the side. My man Kajalo Xro sitting on ten keys of uncut rocks. But obsidian that ain't cut ain't worth poo poo, know what I mean? The princes be all like 'hey, no slinging this rock, we need it all' or something, but how the gently caress would they know what it's like down here. We stay on the docks and corners, they stay up in they palace. The prince stay the prince.

But on the real? I'm just trying to stay alive, one day at a time. It's hard playing at this game, but everybody trying to take they cut, right? You gotta stay in the game to get out. People say that's just life. Yeah, I bet it's the same for your streets too? Maybe, maybe not. People need that milk, though. That or something else, something worse. Maybe the people that run poo poo where you live need this poo poo to keep going. And that comes down on us, man.

But that's enough philosophizing, let me take you to the plaza and see an Anacondas game, they got some skills!

I know this is the book reader's thread, but seriously?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LoG posted:

I don't understand why Game of Thrones can't be spoiled for sport on a site that was notorious for Snape killing Dumbledore. Hell, it was the forum title for fyad the day the book came out if I'm remembering right.

SA is a very different beast these days.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

You know, off the top of my head Sam seems like a standout POV character in that he often accomplishes what he sets out to achieve. Besides the birds, anyway. He acclimated into the Night's Watch, saved Gilly, killed an Other, politic'd Jon's way to Night's Watch commander and is now on his way to become a Maester/Wizard. Dude's surprisingly effective.

I'm reading storm again, and I forgot this because in my head I seemed to remember Grenn or someone saving him, but he actually overpowers Small Paul Wight with his fatness and kills him by stuffing a torch into his mouth.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SaviourX posted:

Hey guys! Which sexy character are you going to go as for this Halloween weekend! I think I saw some khaleeesis in the GBS thread, and maybe a couple Kal Drogons around town already! Maybe a Jeffrey or two? Or a Fat Sam? The options are near limitless!

I'm going as the Yellow Whale. Just need to find a yellow sheet big enough.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OhYeah posted:

Did I say they were amazing achievements in the advancement of television? No, they were well done and managed to gather a very large audience and fan following. We are talking about popular culture here. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Just in case you have trouble understanding what I'm arguing here: Game of Thrones is big budget, visually engaging, well casted and acted, well written TV series that at times is dark, depressing, violent and yet still managed to capture the imagination of a wide spectrum of fans. If you wish to argue with then please go ahead.

You said it's one of the best things ever bought to TV. It's not. Not even nearly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'd probably agree with the cultural impact thing. I can imagine people saying it's one of the best shows in years to come, by virtue of how massive it's gotten. Still doesn't mean it's good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Joramun posted:

They can introduce Ian McShane as Victarion around the same time and viewers will forget all about Charles Dance even being gone.

Ian McShane is a senior citizen.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Joramun posted:

So are Gurm and Charles Dance.

I'm just saying because I imagine Victarion being really physically imposing, and you could already see what a decrepit old fart McShane was 10 years ago in Deadwood.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Season 2 of Deadwood is utterly baller but yeah the Alma/Seth/Skylar poo poo gets old. Gets resolved pretty quickly though poo poo becomes and stays Real for the duration.

I gotta say GRRM does a decent job with dialogue considering the limitations he's placed on himself. D&D are pretty lovely at it though.

"Would you close your flap, that I don't forgo my boiled eggs?"

Poetry.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rhaegar's shade talking about him failing to protect his children makes me think he and Brienne will join Aegon, or if lol R+L=J is real he'll have a larger role to play in the war against the ice people.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

g r r nasty posted:

prediction: every bald character in the books will have hair in the tv show

Who are the bald characters that have hair in the show?

Aside for Jorah, Syrio, and uhh LC Mormont...does Tywin count?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Hey woah when did Arya start touchin dicks?

Fuckin Gurm

Reminder that Arya stabbed Hot Pie in the dick so hard with her training sword that he shat his pants.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It would be realyl funny if they just skipped everything in the last 2 books and next season was the finale.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's just more dudes for Jon Snow to badassfully kill.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah they're almost fully into completely new territory with some of the plot threads and books ahead with others.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They won't get Michelle Fairley back to play a zombie, but they'll get Charles dance back to be a corpse.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kellanved posted:

Wait a second here. The show doesn't have Darkstar (of the night)?!

I haven't read dance I'm a while but he didn't really seem that important iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the books wasn't it the case that the Sons of the Harpy were more of a shadow org where no one ever really know anything about them other than that they were killing people on the sly? I'm looking at several dozen dead bodies in the show here and thinking, if I'm Dany, I just figure out who these dead people are and proceed to kill every single one of their family members.

Then I find out who their acquaintances were and kill every one of them, and every one of their family members.

Idunno…maybe I'm misremembering things here and/or a horrible person. But the HBO representation doesn't really pass the psychopath test insofar as you now have a bayesian cross section of a poo poo ton of the individuals you're trying to fight :iiam:

The show is way loving worse than the books when it comes to stupid pointless crap and people dying for no reason, and if you think otherwise you have Stockholm syndrome from posting in this lovely circlejerk for 10 years.