Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

uncle jimbo posted:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/223563.html

I missed this before, but apparently it's too hard writing everyone an extra six words :qq:

If he signing 500 / 1000+ at each, yeah it can suck.

Did you ever have to write lines as a kid? Recall the carpal tunnel syndrome-like cramps that left your hand useless for a day or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

^^^^ No, "Words are wind" is the new "You know nothing, Jon Snow". Suddenly everyone is saying this.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Just finished the book and I have to agree with some of your Dany and Jon chapter views: they are terrible. Dany because there's a billion people with weird names who you don't care about, and Jon because the tone of his chapters are completely different in tone than the 3rd book. I never really had a problem with any of the Dany chapters from the previous books but these are just bad.

I haven't finished it yet - I'm about halfway through, but as for Jon, it seems that there's still some of that "5 year gap" Jon lingering in his personality or he's just in denial. GRRM tried to just whitewash this with the "kill the boy" stuff.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Ugh, seriously. I was thinking the exact same thing. "IF YOU LOOK BACK YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING YOU DUMB BITCH." Not to get all GBS woman hater or anything, it has nothing to do with her being a woman. She's just loving dumb and it's aggravating as gently caress having to read about her smug rear end making bad decisions left and right.

Barristan was completely right when he decided that Dany's love for Daario was a poison. She's too loving dumb to realize it, of course. What does it even say about her moral character that she's in love with a guy like Daario? She admits to herself that the dude has no conscience. He's pretty. That's pretty much his only good characteristic and Dany never elaborates on why she's in love with a complete piece of poo poo scummy dbag like Daario. It's not like the guy's Han Solo.
I did like what the shaved guy said: "Daario might piss on us if we were burning."

When did this sudden infatuation with Daario start? It feels really forced and out of nowhere. Yes, I think Dany did say he was attractive in ASoS, but never more than just in passing.

What are the odds of Illyrio and Varys being fed to Drogon when Dany finds out they've been hiding Aegon all this time and not telling her?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

Another psychopath Targaryen on the throne then. How could that go wrong?

Possibly, considering by Dorne laws, would Arianne have kept control?

Maybe they were considering this?

Edit:

I now understand some of the Dany hate. But it wasn't until this book. Before she was kicking rear end and conquering, then settles in a city she doesn't understand and expects them to bend the knee?

It also seems she hasn't really taken any serious council since dismissing Jorah. Maybe I'm not reading into that correctly. Barristan gets interrupted too much by Martin's TV prose to give sage council.

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 15, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

priznat posted:

I would like to see their employee handbook :haw:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Dany is miles worse than any ruler we've seen or heard about other than Aegon. Even Jeoffrey was at least somewhat checked by Tyrion and others.

Dany at least wants to be a good and benevolent Queen. Joffrey just liked making people fight to the death to solve petty issues until Tyrion showed up, gave him a new crossbow and told him to go kill things while the adults got poo poo done.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Especially after the HBO series and his last scene in it.

Well at least it will establish Tyrion's ambush of Pycelle next season

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed the book but I came away disappointed. I wanted far more movement and some of the stuff was plain pointless. He should be looking to start winding things up instead of shoving more crap in.

I enjoyed it as well, but I guess I am almost disappointed because of all the stuff being "slow" in Slaver's bay. I really loved everything that we saw in the North.

I'm now realizing that I think the Meereeneese knot was actually tying it, not untying it and getting everyone out of there (which I think we expected). Which matches more with what GRRM said about getting everyone there and when.

How I see it from there:

Meereen is now a powder keg ready to explode. Tyrion succeeds in getting the Second Sons back over to Dany's side. Dany re-invades with the Second Sons, the khalasar and Drogon and Victarion hits from sea with Barristan fighting / protecting from within with the Unsullied.

TWoW can start out huge, then Tyrion, Dany and Victarion bond over Dragonbinder. Tyrion wins over Rhaegal and takes him to find his first dragon brothel. Victarion and Viseron spend their days making Drowned God and R'hllor floating sacrifices from the slavers captured during the sack. Dany heads to Asshai and the Shadow Lands.

geeves fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 26, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rhymenoceros posted:

Jon I felt was awful and self-righteous. It doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing and he managed to get stabbed, drat. He's probably not going to die, I'm betting he'll be saved by Melisandre and turned into the Jon Redsnow or something. Once again he has no skill or agency, he's just lucky and self-pitying (boo hoo, I'm a bastard, kill the child)

I disagree with this - aside from the self-pity issue.

Jon did what a Lord should do to protect those he oversees - probably what Ned would have if he had ever made it to the Wall - and made more progress in actually trying to improve the conditions of the Wall and its towers / castles instead of letting them continue to fall into disrepair than probably the previous 4 or 5 Lord Commanders combined in 6-10 months.
  • Jon made peace with the Wildlings and even recruited some to the Watch. (granted this was born of necessity with the Others, but I think Mormont would have done something similar after his experiences at the Fist and realized the Wildlings were the least of his worries)
  • Arranged marriages to win the Thenns (it was the Thenns, right?)
  • Appeased and advised Stannis about the North.
  • Saved lives with his baby switcheroo.
  • Sent Sam to Oldtown to become the Watch's new maester
  • Raised capital to buy food and weapons and rebuild.
  • Found a solution to man the other castles / towers and to have them repaired.
  • Showed he does not gently caress around (Slynt).

Those around Jon were too stupid to realize the bigger threat is on their way and had a misguided notion about what "for the Watch" meant. Jon knew that the current Watch and the Wildlings were not enough, that he needed Stannis and his men and the northmen to fight the Others.

Jon repeated Robb's and Ned's mistakes, did not listen to his wolf and put his trust in the others around him and blinded himself into thinking he was okay because he was "doing the right thing". He was not as savvy as Littlefinger or Varys would be in creating some alliances or in how to relay information to his subordinates.

As for the letter itself, Jon is the last person Ramsay should want involved in this, but Ramsay is insane. Jon would tell the north that it's not Arya, the Bolton's hold on the north would completely crumble and Manderly would probably crush Ramsay to death.

geeves fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 27, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

^^^^ Mance before he left to join the Wildlings.

Blind Melon posted:

Sending the night watch to the obvious death trap that is hard home was a colossal gently caress up and appears to be what triggered the rebellion. The choice between fighting undead polar bears and all their terrifying woodland friends and the Others in the middle of the woods, and fighting all the above plus a couple thousand generic zombies from ontop of a huge fuckoff wall would be a no brainer for anyone not completely blinded by a need to save everyone.

If I were in the night watch I would have stabbed him too. The wall was built for a reason.

Like I (and others) said, needed some savvy politicking and for christ sake's send them discretely, don't hold a giant loving pep rally.

Frame it as a small recon group to check out the letter's authenticity and try to recruit more for the Watch or at the very least see if the northmen / remaining Stannis forces would remain in The Gift to see how things unfold.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

GAH IT'S NOT FAIR THAT YOU'RE WEARING ARMOR! TAKE IT OFF SO I CAN KILL YOU!

He called Barristan a coward and Barristan replied that this coward was about to kill him :black101:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Beeswax posted:

This is the first time I've ever been in TBB regarding ASOIAF (I guess the reputation of the Bad Thread kept me away), so sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm curious about the Gods in the books.

Is there a consensus regarding the religions in the books - do some Gods exist and others don't, or are they all false? And in case some/any/all of the worhipped deities exist, just what they are? Omniscient, omnipotent beings or just competing entities battling it out for worship and dominion?

I don't think any of the gods are real and would cheapen the setting and story and the answer is simply magic is a natural part of this world and ebbs and flows into existence.

Men have always attributed that which they don't understand to gods / supernatural beings.

The Old Gods are just shown to be the Weirwood trees and the wargs / children of the forest.

The Seven were probably invented by man (Catholicism) and spread like the virus it is to control and influence people.

R'hllor and the Great Other might be your classic "good v. evil" personification.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Argali posted:

So at this point, what are the predominant theories as to what the Others are and who/what the Enemy is? Personally I think it's the biggest card GRRM has yet to play, and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be something incredibly stupid, like how Stephen King pissed in everyone's face when he finally revealed the Crimson King.

The prologue for the Winds of Winter will begin with someone complaining about the disease and death that have been brought to Westeros and be revealed as the thoughts of an Other. They hate the Children of the Forest and the First Men for wiping out their race / species by some rear end in a top hat with a fiery sword right before he is stabbed with dragonglass by a wildling or someone from the Night's Watch...

geeves fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 2, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Maarak posted:

We really only have thousand year old myths to base that on though. Also, the Children's pact with the First Men is long since broken, and their lands dominated by humans. What's to stop them from making a pact with the Others against the humans to take back their lands?

I doubt that. Leaf said they had been around for a "thousand thousand" years and as of late there were too few of them. Also their time was close to an end.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Maarak posted:

What makes Leaf so trustworthy though? Of all the fantasy tropes that GRRM choose to subvert, why would he leave his elves as paragons of good, ready to aid the humans no matter what? Dwindling numbers, and being forced to dwell in the far north only make it seem more likely they've allied with the Others.

Well, if you're right, that be a lot of wasted, decent exposition.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SharpyShuffle posted:

I don't care if they succeed, I just want some protaganists that actually drive the story forward with their actions rather than reacting to everything.

I mean Tyrion just spends the entire book being dragged around with no real choice in the matter: first by Illyrio, then Griff, then Jorah, then the slavers, then his owner...it's only at the end that he regains some element of control and becomes the scheming little Imp we care about

Tyrion has never really had to deal with the consequences of his actions before. He is on the run for regicide and patricide and while only being guilty of one, embraces both and accepts that he is probably the most wanted man in the 7 kingdoms and free cities along the Narrow Sea.

Yeah, he could have chilled in Pentos a bit longer with Illyrio, hosed a ton of whores and schemed his way from there to Dany. However, he never would have realized that he truly is powerless now and can no longer rely on his name to sway people. Now he actually has to prove that he is smart and politically savvy, etc. to rise through the ranks and that he needs to get people on his side and not just house Lannister.

As someone above and others have said in this thread - this book is a lot about identity. Have lost and regained it, choosing to lose it, stripped of it, doubting it, etc.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Darko posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. At this point, they're just getting on my nerves. "Tyrion is surely drowning...TILL NEXT TIME!" is just annoying me now as I know that it's just a cliffhanger that will be resolved a few chapters later. "Bran gets pushed off the wall, no wait, he's okay" worked because, while annoying, it set up a counterpoint to the Ned/Drogo deaths that worked really well by giving you an early false sense of security. In books 4 and 5, it just seems/feels like a bunch of serial cliffhangers, and has long since served its purpose (unless you just like that sort of thing).

Maybe GRRM wanted to mimic Dan Brown :v:

Tyrion's worked well, a bit over the top (only missing the 1960s Batman voice over at the end) as he just as easily with out ruining the narrative been saved someone to close out the chapter. It really only was worth it because it set up the Connington grey scale reveal.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mowglis Haircut posted:

So I was thinking about that weird scene in the TV show where Pycelle is shown to be putting on an old man act. Now this makes the audience think there's something big in store for him, or that he's a big schemer. Though until he gets offed he doesn't actually do anything? I think Pycelle may replace Qyburn in the series, as there's really not much Qyburn does that Pycelle couldn't do anyway, and he wouldn't have to die in the series where he does in the book, as Varys kills Kevan too.

I don't think that will work, but considering the massive change to Qarth and Xaro, I wouldn't be surprised.

One: it's a drastically different character and would be a huge character change. I've always imagined Qyburn as more of a Wyrmtounge-mad-scientist type character.

Two: Qyburn is with Jaime (or in the vicinity) and heals his hand / wrist after it was cut off before Jaime returned to King's Landing.

Third: the "weird Pycelle scene" is more foreshadowing to Tyrion ambushing him in ACoK when he's found in his bedchambers with the serving girl(s?). Right before his beard is shaved and he's thrown into the dungeon.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Ok so did I completely misinterpret this part or did Arya warg into a cat to watch the Kindly Man attack her with a stick?

Nope, you got it right.

When they take her legs, she's going to warg into the Kindly Man and have him carry her around.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I don't understand his motivations either. He always says its for the kingdom and now, the children. He obviously wants a Targ on the throne but why? The last one was crazy.

I know this is a longshot - but I wouldn't be surprised if Varys and Rhaegar were conspiring to depose Aerys in some way. Maybe not straight-up patricide.

Where it always breaks down is: why did Rhaegar run off with Lyanna unless they didn't think it would cause a war?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I like to think he just found out she was the masked knight and fell in love with her. It adds a certain fable to the story rather than it being an endless chain of backstabbing.

I'm definitely on board with that idea. But it was Rhaegar's comments to Jaime about how there would be changes when he returned on which I'm loosely basing Rhaegar working with Varys (and Varys Wyrmtounging Aerys at the same time).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mogadishu posted:

I found it interesting how many of the things Varamyr's foster father considered to be abominations Bran had done already. Warging into Hodor, obviously, and didn't he eat human flesh as Summer at some point? Knowing Martin, I assume he'll get to the wolf sex eventually. Is that going to come back on him if the Children or Bloodraven find out about it? He's been keeping his Hodor trick on the down low so far.

I think it was said earlier in the thread that the Stark kids have broken all of those rules.. Arya's warged into cats and I think also eaten human flesh. Perhaps he'll learn rules from the Children of Bloodraven, but as for Hodor, I think Bran can tell it's wrong with how frightened Hodor is when it happens.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Desumaytah posted:

I seriously don't know why Tyrion was so obsessed with this. Like "wherever whores go" is some kind of riddle instead of his dad just being an rear end in a top hat noble brushing lowborn filth off his shoulders.

It was the last thing Tywin said to Tyrion (regards to Tysha after it was revealed that she wasn't a whore Jamie hired and she had in fact loved him) right before he shot him with his crossbow. I think in some weird PTSD-way that would be pretty prevalent in Tyrions thoughts.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

HarveyVdarski posted:

In earlier books, they said Jaime cut his throat. In thelater ones, Jaime remembers stabbing him. What the gently caress.

Character POV - Only Jamie was there and Ned that can really confirm what happened in POV. Everything else is a game of telephone.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

pksage posted:

Remember that they make a big deal out of that corpse thrown into the ice cells not turning into a wight. Presumably the magic of the Wall blocks the ability of the Others to make wights.

The boring and predictable path is that Mel has Jon's body put into an ice cell to preserve it, he spends most of the book having adventures as Ghost, and then Mel warms up his body in her magic microwave and brings his spirit back into it.

If by magic microwave, you mean her vagina, then I will be on board for Jon being born as a shadow.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ross posted:

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. This means her womb can "quicken" again, ergo Zombie Khal Drogo is coming back in the next book to seriously roll some bitches.

I noticed it, and thought in some subtle yet kinda ewwww way it bound her to Drogon (Blood for Fire. Fire for Blood) without the use of Dragonbinder.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rustybear posted:

People hate the meereeneese knot stuff for the same reason people in TVIV hated Eddard getting killed.

The whole point of the Dany chapters in dwd seemed to be foreshadowing that Dany is actually a horrible ruler, she’s impulsive, idealistic, naive, and relies extensively on a few trusted favourites to get stuff done. Everyone is so keen to see her roll into westeros with dragons that they’re wilfully ignoring the fact that she will be useless on the iron throne. She can’t hold a single slave city together with a huge host of supersoldiers and dragons; she’ll never cope in westeros.

I saw it as she might actually have succeeded as a ruler had she skipped Meereen and conquered Westeros and claimed the Iron throne. In her naivety, she conquered and automatically expected fealty in what was essentially, for lack of better term, a corporatocracy with The Great Masters.

She hosed with their biggest business and cash flow and Dany's council was unable to be effective because of their subversion, in contrast to what they would have been able to accomplish in King's Landing where holding Court, delegating and a handful of others accomplishing tasks in the name of the King / Queen was seen as the norm. (Yes, we know that KL is just as subversive and political, but at least it was what Dany would have expected instead of trying to rule and alien environment).

If Dany truly wanted to conquer and rule Meereen she should have removed all the Great Masters (and all those who held any semblance of power) not through impalement, but through exile and stripping them of all their wealth. With that wealth continued to raise her army, bought / built a navy and trained her drat dragons. Then no matter what Yunkai and Volantis did with a blockade well, they'd be burning in Slaver's Bay or raided and crushed by Victarion's fleet.

That would still leave the Sons of the Harpy inside Meereen, but assuming they were stripped of their bankroll (or a majority of it), I doubt they'd be much of a force for long.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ross posted:

Was this really cut? Would have been a much better ending imo then "let's kill Kevan Lannister".

We only know a few chapters (100 or so pages) have been moved to WoW, but probably nothing to do with Dany returning to Meereen. GRRM mentioned it was a PoV or two that was moved and we already know one of them froma GRRM reading: Arianne.

To do closure of Meereen any justice would be along the lines of the Blackwater PoVs from ACoK which could easily be comprised of Barristan, Dany, Tyrion and Victarion. I doubt 100 pages would cover Dany getting back to Meereen with Drogon and Khal Jhoqo and all the subsequent events.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cwapface posted:

I'm slowly reading through this series, and am nearly finished A Clash of Kings.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why Arya didn't declare her identity to Roose Bolton after he takes Harrenhal. It doesn't seem to be explained. Surely she could prove her heritage easily enough with knowledge of her family, her upbringing, Winterfell etc. She recognises him as one of her brother's bannermen when he arrives. I just don't understand why she'd stay silent and servile.

Arya's journey in ACoK is all about setting up whose loyalties are where. "I'm a daughter of a man just executed for treason, help me". She's already survived a few turn of events and now ends up in 'custody' of a house of whom she's wary. Arya's young and smart enough to lay low.

Enough to properly plan her escape (she could read messages, etc. could move somewhat freely) But, why couldn't she have sent a raven to Robb letting him know she's somewhat safe

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Desumaytah posted:

I laughed for like thirty seconds after I read the part in Dance where Dany's handmaidens are arguing over which of their crushes was going to kill the other in the arena and one is all "My guy's the best, it is known" and the other gets furious and shouts "It is not known!"

A stupid not-punchline five books in the making and it killed me.

I also like the other one:

“You are too skinny for him,” Jhiqui was saying. “You are almost a boy. Rakharo does not bed with boys. This is known.” Irri bristled back. “It is known that you are almost a cow. Rakharo does not bed with cows.”

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Willing to :toxx: that?

edit: Has gurm ever commented on the decision to switch from POVs with the name of the character to POVs like "The Blind Girl" and such? Perhaps he is trying to disengage from the "X cannot die, because they have POVs!" theories?

Yes, in one of the first interviews after it was released he said there was a running theme of identities and their struggle to keep them / find them.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

HarveyVdarski posted:

It's not until Feast that somebody is like, "Uh, just because there's a lion/wolf/dragon on your banner, doesn't mean for even a goddamn second you are a dragon/wolf/lion."

I thought that was in result to the aftermath of the war and perhaps more specifically the Red Wedding when all loyalties were up in the air everyone was scrambling for the best crumbs off of the table.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kekekela posted:

I kept picturing him as Johny Depp.

I picture Daario more like Vincent Cassel (especially in Elizabeth)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fat Lord Manderly lives in Russia

http://gizmodo.com/5847685/russian-guy-grinds-up-his-father+in+law-and-serves-him-for-lunch

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

And there were 7 hot virgins. Little Vicky owns bones.

It wouldn't be a sacrifice to two gods otherwise :colbert:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Barristan is clearly Soundwave.

Barristan: superior. Kingsguard: Inferior

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Two important issues:

1. What is the Monty Python reference in question? I remember reading one but forgot exactly what it was.

There were 3

The Unsullied don't run when someone farts in their general direction.

"We're fighting shrubbery!" (I think)

"And One!" - The Crone.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ross posted:

Did Beric D. have the real Lightbringer? I don't recall that.

I think he was talking about Thoros' flaming sword.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Joramun posted:

I took it as her getting back her period again as well, I thought that was completely obvious. I'm actually surprised because this is the first time I've ever even heard of possible other interpretations.

It's either that or a miscarriage. Either way, blood bonds her to Drogon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Noted Literally posted:

Come now, ADWD served the vital purpose of setting things up for the next book. For example, Dany's romance with Daario is foreshadowing for when she falls for that bad-boy Euron Crow's Eye.

Euron is totally going to fist Dany with his magic arm and control her like a puppet for her dragons. Dragonbinder is a red herring.