Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Elman posted:

Just visited GURM's website to look for the sample chapter. I can't believe he got rid of the old Web 1.0 design.

Did you find it? I can only see the Arianne chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

rypakal posted:

Well gee I guess that make trivialized comedy rape ok then!

Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. There, rape is funny now.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Midnight City posted:

So Lyanna didn't want to get married to Robert because she thought he might not be faithful after they got married, but she runs away with a guy she knows is being unfaithful to his wife.

That's some 'only sith lords deal in absolutes' level territory alright.

Yah, but there's not much in the way of logic in most relationship decisions, at least not for me. I don't see this as stretching plausibility at all.

Your experiences may differ.
:engleft:

Edit VVVV He could have married her though cause House Targaryan are fantasy Mormons.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 8, 2014

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Doing a reread and I'm on Clash. Just realized something that's been hiding in plain sight.

Patchface is Yakov Smirnov.

Thanks for listening.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ague Proof posted:

Why do you think Qyburn kept asking for women?

He's more tit than man now...

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hunky Joe posted:

Was that the part where she had a ship built named Cersei's Cock?

Cause seriously I couldn't take the books seriously after that point.

There was a Joso's Cock in Meereen I think. They cannibalized a ship named "Joso's Something" and made the mast into a battering ram.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

The last time the comet is mentioned is when Bran is warging into Summer at the end of Clash and he sees the 'dragon in the sky breathing fire' which disappears when he growls at it. People actually took that line to be about a literal dragon?

Here's the actual quote-

Bran Warging into Summer posted:

"The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone."

Winged snake is pretty specific and I've never heard a comet roar.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I've actually been digging up on this for like the past hour or so, it's almost certainly not the comet as the comet should have been long gone by then, it appears a the end of AGOT when Robb marches out of Winterfell with his bannermen, basically around the time Ned dies, and the last time it is noted as being present in the sky is in the same chapter Tyrion hears Robb's terms via Cleos Frey, which would be still sometime before Theon took Winterfell and even longer before Ramsay sacked the castle, so I think the comet is probably long gone by then.

It's certainly not a dragon or any actual creature though, Summer's pov shows the sacking in a rather objective manner, the appearance of a sudden winged snake that disappears when he bares his teeth and isn't given a second thought neither by the wolf nor by Bran really screams 'his doggy brain is misinterpreting some momentary, probably mundane, event'. When Bran later emerges from the crypt a lot of Winterfell is destroyed, the library tower caught on fire and Luwin's turret is completely gone, I think it was likely one of these two structures collapsing or something that produced a flame large enough to scare Summer, it would also explain the roar. Kinda iffy though unless there was something that could really go off in Luwin's turret and I couldn't find any description of anything volatile in there so idk, the crows live their but it would be kinda farfetches for them to catch on fire and make a big light show flying around.

There's a theory that I've read that says basically Bran/Summer is seeing some sort of prophecy in the flames like Melissandre and Thoros do. If you're more into thinking it's a literal dragon, Osha says something like " We made enough noise to wake a dragon" after Hodor busts open the door to the crypt.

Nothing conclusive either way as far as I can tell, but it's fun to speculate.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

A comet burning across the skin casting red light could clearly look like a snake in the sky surrounded by fire, especially as the POV is Summer who wouldn't understand the concept of a comet. It's pretty clearly a subtle reference to the comet fading as opposed to a throw-away single line from forever ago that implies there is a random dragon just chilling around the North

Melisandre also uses blood magic when she burns the three leeches with Edric Strom's blood in SoS, which is implied to have been connected to the deaths of the other three kings.

And the roar?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

It's a coincidence. Summer doesn't make the comet disappears it just does. Just like it never meant anything even though literally all the characters think it represents them.

He's looking up at the sky, through the fire and smoke of a razed Winterfell. It never says anything about the 'dragon' coming out of Winterfell.

I think it's a lot more logical that the 'roar of fire' was just light coming off the comet. Much more likely than Summer being attacked by a dragon and Bran never giving it a single thought ever.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

A winged snake really looks nothing like a comet, but suspiciously like a dragon. Maybe a non-winged snake could resemble one, but in my mind, that's still a stretch. Roar implies a loud sound. Roar was a river of flame conjures up images a dragon breathing fire.

Not saying it's an actual dragon, but it sure could be a vision of one.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't have much to contribute but you are cracking me up since you don't understand you misread the quote you posted. GRRM didn't write anything about "hearing" a comet roar. He said the roar was a river of flame. The other dudes are saying the streak from the comet is making an effect like a dragon breathing fire. gently caress man

OK, what about the wings?

Interpret it however you want, it's just a story, but I read that sentence as Bran/Summer seeing a dragon.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Besides, the whole thing about Azor Ahai is that he's supposed to be reborn 'amidst salt and smoke', Jon is 100% coming back.

"Makes him sound like a ham."

Sorry, that's one of my favorite lines in all the books.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lycus posted:

Wasn't that a show-only line?

Almost positive it was in Clash of Kings when Renly and Stannis meet before their battle with Catelyn tagging along. Don't have the book in front of me to check though.

"Born amidst salt and smoke. Is he a ham?"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ague Proof posted:

That replaced the peach scene.

Yeah, my bad it was only from the show. Could have sworn it was there on the last read.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

Ya the last JonCon chapter has him reveal he he has greyscale, pine for Rhaegar a bit and plan an attack on Storms end.

My most recent read through of DoD lead me to believe that people really overblow the Quentyn subplot, he has like 5 PoV chapters and most of them are at the start and pretty interesting. He has the first look at Volantis, the Battle of Astapor and a look at the wind blown/Astapori army. The last two chapters with the dragon plot are pretty dumb, but overall I actually kinda like his chapters, there is some good world building in them.

Yeah, they were much better on the second read for me too. I think the reason I didn't like them the first time was because I wanted to know what was going on with the characters from the previous books instead of being introduced to Quentyn, his crew, the sellswords, etc.

Krinkle posted:

Why does Dany have to fear the perfumed seneshal i.e. stinky stward? Because Moqorro is on it? Why is a shadowbinder from ashai'i warning her from the ashai'i religious leaders approaching her?

That could also mean her advisor who actually smells funny. I forget the guys name, but that might be too literal.

Edit Reznak mo Reznak

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 18, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TommyGun85 posted:

thats a social convention for uncivilised savages though.

For intelligent nobles, "you can always have dinner in your enemy's house without any fear" is retarded.

The basic concept has kind of been around for a long time, but I'm glad you're here to set everybody straight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospitium

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then Sandor doesn't have to die fighting his undead brother and can live a quiet life of digging and probably growing potatoes or something.

"PO - TA - TOS, ya loving oval office!!"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Mr. Neutron posted:

Why does everyone hate book-Dorne? I though it was pretty great in Feast, all that backstory about the sack of King´s Landing, Elia´s children murders and the resulting long kept secret hatred of Tywin by the Princes, the marriage pact with Viserys, the Fire and Blood conversation....dunno I really enjoyed it.

I liked it on re-read. Sort of. Initially, it just pissed me off because I was hoping to know what happened to the characters that I'd been following for the first few books instead of BlahBlah-mo-Something and the Gouty Pedo.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TommyGun85 posted:

people really like throwing around the term Mary Sue.

everyone is a Mary Sue according to this and the TVIV thread.

what the hell is a Mary Sue?

She's the brunette that hangs out with Gilligan.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Tom Brady is the best quarterback in NFL History.

**Stares at a football until the PSI is low enough**

**Yoda shakes his head**

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

PupsOfWar posted:

ive never decided whether it would be cooler if howland killed arthur dayne with magic or with secret bog-irish ninja abilities

I picture more of a Florida Man type mishap.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

He just looks like such a trailer trash shithead.

The Metallica roadie leather pants don't help.

Also he's like 40 years younger than Balon.

Jeeze, Euron's on the swish hard, Ricky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

MoaM posted:

If Jaime's book arc doesn't end with him killing another queen/king I will riot.

Sanderson wouldn't do that to the fans.