Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Finished the book last night, and while it was better than AFFC, it's still got some major weaknesses.

- The Jon and Dany chapters really didn't advance at all. I thought that by the end of this book, we'd have seen a massive army of wights and Others (who've turned thousands of the defeated wildlings into wights) attack and overrun the Wall as winter arrives in full force, and Dany would have finally sorted out Meereen and trained her dragons once Tyrion arrived, letting her set sail for Westeros.

- Bran/Arya. I suppose they needed to progress rapidly for the next book, but having them learn as much as they did in just a couple of chapters each didn't feel natural at all.

- Davos. Great to see him again (Stannis doesn't deserve him) and it's nice to have one honest character who doesn't pay a heavy price for it. Annoyed that his plotline got left hanging as soon as it got a great arc going.

= Wyman Manderley. Awesome, especially with his ice burns towards the Freys.

- Kevan. I suppose he had to go since he was one of the few people left who could hold Westeros together, but he was fairly cool once Tywin wasn't around to use him as a puppet and he could give Cersei a few ice burns in AFFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Victarion shows promise, I wonder if the dragon horn is going to be something related to the horn used to bring down the wall (that was apparently never found, but faked).

The fake Horn of Joramun wasn't a surprise, I've thought for a long time that it's the old horn that Jon and Ghost found at the Fist of the First Men.

And that's another hanging thread. Are we ever going to find out who buried it and those obsidian arrows/daggers there (Benjen Stark?)

As for Theon, his (with Davos) was the best part of the book. Yeah, he was a traitorous arsehole in ACOK, but his torture and attempt to do something noble by helping Jeyne Poole escape the Boltons is really compelling.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Darth Windu posted:

echnically, none of the Lannister children are actually Targaryens, and neither is Jon. They are all just Targaryen bastards

Pretty sure Jon is actually a legitimate Targ. There’s no reason that Rhaegar and Lyanna couldn’t have married secretly, and I think there’s precedent for Targs having multiple wives. And the kicker is that no less than three Kingsguard knights were at the Tower of Joy when Ned and co arrived. At this point in time, Aerys and Rhaegar are dead, and the Kingsguard should have been with the next in line to the throne, which would be Viserys and Dany.

Unless of course they’re at the ToJ because there’s someone there whose claim to the throne trumps that of Viserys/Dany…

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Steve112sms posted:

The one GRRM phrase I really can't stand is "sweet sister" (often preceded by "I love you too", which invariably gets used whenever Tyrion talks to Cersei, talks about her, or thinks about her. And GRRM clearly missed not being able to have Tyrion use the phrase in AFFC, so he had Jaime start using it instead, culminating in it being used 2 times in as many pages at one point.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

literallyincredible posted:

Stannis thinks of ruling as a duty, and he's an uncharismatic tool who everyone hates.

Actually, given that Stannis is an utter dick, I wonder how he gets the most loyal people in the realm. Cressen drank poison trying to save Stannis from Melisandre, and then there's Davos.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Doibhilin posted:

I think this is important. I liked what he was doing there--revenge is fun--but it did not ring true at all. That did not feel like Jon Snow. If he didn't break his vows to join Robb and avenge Ned, is he really going to bail on the Night's Watch when he is Lord Commander in the middle of the greatest threat the Watch has faced in millenia? I don't think so. I think there's something more to the last Jon chapter.

On the other hand, all Jon knows is that arya is the last member left of his family and the one he was closest to, and that she's being held captive by a man who gets off on skinning people alive, walling them up to starve to death, and huntingwomen with dogs.

Plus while the nights watch is sworn to be neutral in events of the 7 kingdoms, does that still apply if they're directly threatened first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is exactly why I enjoyed the Renly/Loras relationship. It's never outright stated, but the subtle implications make it very clear, and apart from derision from the series' other dickhole characters, it's not a ~oh hey there's some homos here do you see them hint hint whisper whisper SCREAM IN YOUR FACE GAY WE ARE FLAMERS~ thing

at least, god, at least not even close to the amount of obvious, in-your-face lesbianism. And that would be fine if it never involved Myrish swamps... except it does. Ugh.

And yet there are no purely lesbian characters so far in the series. We have Renly and Loras, most likely Jon Connington, and theres a few others who are open to speculation, but they're all men. We've only seen Dany and cersei batting for the same team, and then only out of curiosity or because they just wanted some action and daario wasn't around