Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Why don't the Others go around the Wall when the Milkwater freezes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

euphronius posted:

Mormont is totally killing Selmy.
Not on the best day of his life

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Ambiguatron posted:

I have the feeling that in the end, Bran is being set up to bring back the old gods of the North, who kept whatever is responsible for the Others and the Red Priests away.
I've been getting the impression from the Bran/Theon chapters that there are no old gods, just greenseers. Bran/whoever else warging into the tree has explained whenever someone's felt as if the old gods are watching/talking to them

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I think a lot of people (including me) think Tyrion's chapters were quite annoying in that they went nowhere and seemed unnecessarily complicated/had Penny in them. But thinking about it I was struck by the similarity to Arya's chapters in aSoS. She changed hands repeatedly while trying to get somewhere else (and was also captured by someone she thought was taking her to Cersei). And Arya's chapters were well received right? I certianly liked them

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Tyrion as secret Targ is the worst theory. I don't mean in terms of likelihood, I just mean it would be a profoundly stupid "twist" and just come across really cheesy. It would pretty much nullify the whole conflict between him and his father, which is the defining conflict of his entire character, even after Tywin's death.
Without commenting on the likelihood of this, why would the fact that Tyrion isn't Tywin's biological son nullify the whole conflict?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Doibhilin posted:

I don't think he's a Targaryen loyalist. I think he honestly wants what is best for Westeros--a good king. And he's realized that Aegon is the perfect opportunity for a good king. He can be molded to rule, to understand his people--like Merlin and King Arthur. It's not about prolonging the Targaryen dynasty, it's about the opportunity Aegon presents.
This just doesn't ring true. Why then kill Kevan who was, by Varys's own admission, going to fix the Seven Kingdoms and ensure Tommen becomes a good king?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Doibhilin posted:

But they would pose no threat whatsoever to anyone inside of a castle. Would a lot of peasants die? Yes. Would the Dothraki have any chance of actually conquering Westeros? No way. They would merely cause chaos that would allow Aegon to rise to power.

And not to get too detailed, but it would be extremely difficult to kill an armored knight on horseback with a curved blade. It was hard to kill an armored knight with a longsword (to the point that, in reality, a combatant would often grip the blade of the sword and hit his armored opponent with the pommel to deliver blunt force to the head). A curved blade can't deliver force in a very focused way.
Didn't Jorah cover all of this in aGoT? Dothraki would kill knights with their awesome archery skills if the lords were foolish enough to meet them in combat. If they hide behind their castle it's fine for a while but wouldn't make them teribly popular rulers. And the smallfolk would all be dead/enslaved. Great plan to rule the now devastated and unpopulated kingdom.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

kanonvandekempen posted:

I was thinking about the last daenerys chapter and this is how I interpreted it: She got pregnant because all conditions of the prophecy have been fulfilled:
Stop me if this sounds patronising but you know that women don't have periods whilst pregnant right?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Krinkle's inbred freakshow family aside women don't generally have periods whilst pregnant

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

The Rat posted:

Also, here's to hoping the prologue of the next book is zombie Ser Gregor smashing Aegon's head against a wall. THOUGHT YOU COULD FOOL ME, DID YOU? I FINISH WHAT I START
This would be amazing

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

JT Jag posted:

Perhaps Brienne got killed and then Zombie Cat Zombie Life Transferred to her? Jaime did mention she looked "ten years older" or something.
Brienne's been beaten, eaten and hanged. I think she'd look a bit worse for wear without necessarily being a zombie.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

For a start there really is a hell of a better chance of her being accepted as a ruler of Westeros than anywhere else on the planet.

^^She could land at Pyke or Bear Island, think "The hell with this" and go back to Qarth

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

American unhappy with non-american word

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Yeah, after being so thoroughly broken to Ramsay's will I think he gets a pass. I also don't think it's very fair to call him a turncloak. He was hostage to his father's good behaviour then when that father rebelled he went along with it. Is he supposed to fight against his family and people? Wouldn't that be worse?

His real contemptible weakness showed itself in trying to hold Winterfell and the child killing that arose from that.

whowhatwhere posted:

Could you elaborate on that one? I've never heard about any connection between the two before.

oogyboogs posted:

Well, in the AFFC chapter called The Reaver, Victarion and Euron are talking in that room and Euron says:
"When I was a boy, I dreamt I could fly, but when I awoke, I couldn't... or so the maester said."

It kind of seems similar to what Bran went through with his vision of the three eyed crow. I think that Euron had a similar type experience. Then in the Sam chapter, when they are sailing past the wreckage of Euron's fleet, they see this symbol:
IIRC it is a bit more obvious, I'm sure Euron actually mentions the "three-eyed crow".

Spergchat: America doesn't use/considers archaic the word fortnight? Who knew

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Adama posted:

An author that wants to use the words "poo poo" and "oval office" needs to make a decision on the tone he wants his work to have. Those words don't sound nature beside any of his various antiquated-sounding words.
According to the OED oval office dates to the 13th century and poo poo the 16th which would make them fairly antiquated

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Stopgap posted:

The Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel, one of Aegon IV's bastards, right? And him and Bloodraven hated each other. (Their mothers were a Blackwood and a Bracken, the two feuding houses in the Riverlands, they took opposite sides in the Blackfyre Rebellion, Bittersteel put out Bloodraven's eye) And now Bloodraven is back in the same book that has Bittersteel's sellsword company returning to Westeros. I'm guessing that Bittersteel's forces versus Bloodraven's (the Night's Watch or the Others or whatever) will be one of the final conflicts of the series. I mean, it would, if the series ever gets finished.
I'd think that after spending 100 years as a tree he wouldn't have to feud against the distant (possible) descendant of some guy he didn't like

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Stopgap posted:

Oh, I don't mean that it's literally going to be like "Wait, Bittersteel's great-great-great-great-grandson is back? gently caress YES IT'S ON NOW!" or that there's going to be a Bran-with-Dark-Sister versus Aegon-with-Blackfyre duel. I just mean in a thematic sense; Bloodraven's heir/heirs (literally or otherwise) versus Bittersteel's heir/heirs (literal or otherwise), whether they know about the previous conflict between brothers or not.
Ah, sorry, that does make sense now.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Argali posted:

computer parts posted:

How long has the R+L=J theory been around?
The what now?
Rhaegar+Lyanna=Jon

And almost certainly since aGoT was released as most of the evidence for it comes from that book. 15 years, wow.

Edit: Reek, Reek, it rhymes with beaten

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Quantify! posted:

That's a bit of a stretch though, and Mance still has no real reason to care about what Theon did.
Speaking of which, one of the spearwives Mance brings has a go at Theon in the godswood when he says "winter is coming", says he has no right after what he did to Lord Eddard's children. I can accept a spearwife (like anyone else) hating him for killing a couple of children but the honorific and her caring about him using Stark's words seemed very odd to me.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

SharpyShuffle posted:

From a storytelling point of view it'd also make sense for the Blackfish to pop up in the vale. Littlefinger's going to be chilling there for a while yet I'd imagine before it's time for him to put his masterplan of unifying the north and the vale into action, and he's going to need some kind of opponent who he can't just fob off with a few words and cheap tricks like he did the Lords Declarant. The Blackfish would be perfect. He's got the same kind of gritty badass honor as Ned Stark but, judging by how he brusquely laughed off Jaime, he doesn't have Ned's naivety. I'd love to see Littlefinger dismiss the Blackfish as another noble fool and try and manipulate him the same way he did Ned, only to get shot the gently caress down.
This wouldn't happen, they know each other pretty well from when Petyr was fostered at Riverrun

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

NihilCredo posted:

More importantly, when the boat guys think that Tyrion might be infected, they tell him not to touch any food that he isn't going to eat. So yeah, definitely contagious :v:
I don't think it's a stretch to assume most people are poorly educated about disease and are frightened sometimes unnecessarily (just like the Wildlings)

Rurik posted:

So what makes people think it was Mance who wrote the letter? How he knew to write about Reek and how to sound like Ramsay? And why would he do that in the first place?
There is a chapter of Theon's where he talks to Mance (in a mini flashback) so could tell him quite a bit about how Ramsay operates. Not to mention as a singer Mance would see and hear a lot. Just like Tom O'Sevens.

Am I the only one who thinks Jon is really dead? Dead dead? Ned, Robb, Renly... GRRM has a good line in noble rulers who get really hosed over just when you think they're going to do something cool and stereotypical.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

She's the dwarf woman we see when Arya's with the BWB but she's not part of their group, she sticks around the weirwoods on a "haunted" hill. She isn't a child of the forest and she has something to do with Jenny of Oldstones.

ImJasonH posted:

But she doesn't know the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is Jon, so she goes there to kill "The Lord Commander" and finds out it's him. Now she either gives up Faceless Manning, or joins him there to kick rear end because now she's a badass assassin.
It's stated in aDwD that she knows Jon's the lord commander

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I shall father no cubs

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Quentyn proposes to Dany and she laughs in his face. Why does she and Barristan both deny this happened later on? Seemed oddly specific to me.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I don't remember her having claws or cat eyes

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Haraksha posted:

In fact, Varys himself sent the order to kill Dany.
And then countermands it

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

D-Pad posted:

I posited this theory earlier in the thread but I'll bring it back out. I think the maesters are behind the seven.
The Seven were brought to Westeros with the Andals, I doubt the Maesters are playing a millennia-long con

Desumaytah posted:

GRRM is most likely saving him for the whole "Jon Snow is a Targ" reveal, and that's fine
I honestly don't think the books will ever confirm Jon's parentage.

Desumaytah posted:

2. How he saved Ned from getting his rear end killed by Arthur Dayne.
Threw a net on him

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

UR1S posted:

Also, to take the rule to its most extreme conclusion, since they never died in view of the reader, I'm on the fence if Pretty Pig and Crunch are really dead. I could go either way on them getting a happy ending.
The worst is yet to come and there are no happy endings

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Maybe he stabbed him in the throat

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

When listing gay characters, did everyone forget Ser Lyn Corbray?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

First time I've seen the word "spurned" used as a euphemism for "raped following the gang-rape of"

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Felix_Cat posted:

The only thing about that is Jaqen apparently had no qualms about offing his dad, so it might not apply in all circumstances. Or Jaqen just rolls differently to the rest.
He said his dad was dead but even if he was alive he'd kill him if Arya told him to. I think it's meant figuratively rather than literally :spergin:

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

This seems to be a minority view but I never thought for a second that the Hound had actually killed Arya. What possible reason would he have for killing her?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

In fairness I also think Jon is actually dead so I may not be the best judge

OR AM I

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Sansa is Azor Ahai. While the comet was going she was reborn as a woman amidst salt tears and smoke coming from her burning mattress and Tyrion burning the Kingswood to wake dragons from stone. She's now called Alayne Stone and is being mentored by the man who can rub dragons together to make more.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I actually do think Jon is dead. Dead dead. Not even Marsh can be so incompetent to stab a guy at least 4 times without killing him. Everyone seems to be assuming Jon will live because he's one of the main protagonists. HAVE YOU EVEN READ THE FIRST FOUR BOOKS

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Quantify! posted:

We KNOW where Dany is going next, and she now has the means to get the gently caress out of Meereen in the form of 3 dragons she can control and a new army of Dothraki. As soon as all her new friends come and advise her to get her rear end to Asshai, it'll happen. There's absolutely no reason for Dany to STAY in Meereen now that she has control of her dragons and can crush her opposition, so she won't.
How has the situation changed since early aDwD when she decided to stay instead of taking the ships the 13 sent her?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Quantify! posted:

Read my post until my answer becomes evident because I literally say exactly what has changed.
I think you don't really understand why Dany has stayed in Meereen in the first place. At the start of aDwD she has an army. And 3 mostly-wild dragons. She stays, not because she doesn't have the means to leave and the resources to start an assault on Westeros, but because she feels an obligation to Meereen and wants to rule it and be its saviour. Her leaving now would completely contradict her earlier decision. Which isn't to say it won't happen if she embraces her Fire and Blood heritage and decides she does actually want to conquer and move on or whatever. But that's not what you're saying. You're saying she has control over her dragons (really?), an army of Dothraki (this too is quite the leap) and so is able to move on.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Didn't someone (Arya?) describe him as quite light on his feet, like a water dancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

NoneSuch posted:

Well, we all know Asha is going to raise Theon to power and attempt to use him to retake the Iron Islands.
I can't think of anything less likely to succeed. Parading a castrated, maimed, toothless, wretched gimp in front of hardcore vikings who respect only strength