Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

hand of luke posted:

Surprised no one's talking about this. Selmy's speech pretty much confirms it in my mind.

No one's talking about it because it's not really a thing. I don't think Selmy's speech says what you think it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

bigmcgaffney posted:

Add in all the where do whores go variations and I bet its more than that. And all the crossbow/gently caress-you-dad poo poo.

It was the sound effect that killed me. Thump or whatever it was.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Substar posted:

I had kind of assumed that a year was a full orbit around ASOIAF's sun, but that their planet was perhaps rotating on two axes instead of Earth's one. If their world was perhaps, very slowly, rotating "vertically" as well as horizontally through the poles (apologies, I don't know the proper terminology) then every now and then the major landmasses would be pointed at 90 degree angles to the sun...

Imagine our south or north pole pointing directly at the sun... it'd be cold as gently caress on all earth's populated land masses.

I get that it's fun to discuss this form an academic standpoint but, seriously, it's magic.

As far as what a "year" is I always figured the maesters at some point decided a certain number of lunar cycles was a year so they could keep records of things.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Once Jon comes back that's going to be 4 characters coming back to life and with Arya, Mance and probably Mel, 4 who can shapeshift. poo poo's getting dumb.

Can any of those characters shapeshift? What are you talking about? Jon may, or may not, end up being able to control the war stuff, so I guess that's shape shifting...

When do we learn Mance can? Or that Mel can? What are you talking about? I'm so confused.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

Jon: not really face shifting. Bodysnatching, yes, shapeshifting no.

Melisandre: can create glamors so that people look different than they are. This process apparently has some component that causes her jewel to reflect at least some of the pain of the glamorized; her ruby nearly burned her throat before Jon killed fake Mance.

Mance: glamorized by Melisandre. No indication that his Abel persona looked like anything other than himself; he's apparently a rather nondescript-looking person, and nobody south of the wall knows what he looks like, and the vast majority don't even know his real name.

Faceless Men: either a glamor of sorts or some sort of actual shapeshifting; Arya feels her own face, but that doesn't necessarily mean she hasn't gained the physical abilities of the people she's impersonating. Requires that the person one impersonates be dead.

Yep, this is pretty much what I thought. Glad to hear I'm not the idiot and it's Ratios and Tendency.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I have some bad news...

Cute. Dude you came in with a poo poo post and just straight up invented things. Also, who are these four resurrected main characters you're talking about?

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I actually got more annoyed at the constant use of cock and oval office and "her lips down there" and other juvenile references. And I don't know what kind of sex the GRRM has (if its even physically possible) but I have always remembered I was the one with the penis, and never "forgot who had the cock or who had the oval office."

What a terrible loving description of anything.

edit: This whole book was trash and nothing happened. I gave myself days to think about i before posting but seriously, this was crap. Utter trash and the reviewers that gave it glowing amazing reviews should be fired.

Not to defend him but you got Dondarrion (kind of main for a few chapters) Zombie Caitlyn (main) Zombie Gregor/Robert (main) Brienne doesnt die, Rhaegars son suddenly shows up, if Jon lives after being stabbed a dozen times (at least 4) then well that makes more characters... so on and so forth.

That's really just one main character that's been "resurrected" and it's Caitlyn. Gregor and Beric aren't main characters (And like it's been pointed out, you can hardly call them resurrected), Brienne never died (Did we actually think she did?), and we don't actually know the truth about Aegon yet.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well brienne was hanging from the neck at the end of AFfC

Yes...But she's not dead, she even says a "word."

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Mr.Brinks posted:

This looks retarded:

Oh god, seriously don't look at any more of the samples. They just get worse. What the hell is that Other? I just...wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

This is so stupid but I'm pretty sure he is a fan of both teams.

Weirdly enough yes, this is true, he loves them both. He justifies it pretty much every weekend during the season on notablog but it's still pretty stupid for as intense a fan as he is.