Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ixian posted:

The crappy thing is that, because of the larger story it's wrapped in, it's easy to miss the real point of her chapters, which is to show the effect of the wars on the regular people of Westeros.
You know, it's funny you say that, because I think the blandness of the Brienne character helped to shift attention to that larger story, and when I first read Feast I focused almost entirely on that background of "what has happened to Westeros."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

CronnySockett posted:

I...really didn't think that was possible. Then again, I guess you can't expect a kid to be raised in a place called the Dreadfort with a family history of skinning people to come out normal.

I mean...this shouldn't be a big shock. Back in ACOK (or was it ASOS) he pretty much gives Arya the old "if you don't behave 100% like I expect you to from here on out I'm going to start removing pieces" routine.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Dany still dumb:
I'm about halfway through my AFfC reread now, and I couldn't recall when reading ASoS last week whether he was still around by the end. And, yeah, that is pretty dumb of her. You'd think she would have learned at least that much by now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Edit:

lol

:wtf: Unlike many here, I've generally been really interested in Dany's storyline, and until now would have confidently said that I'd never skim through or skip her chapters. But...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Haha, gently caress all of you that laughed at the idea of Tyrion the Secret Targ!

Tun, TUN, TUUUUUUUUUN.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I just finished my series re-read with AFfC this morning. I had forgotten about the last page. The one that reads, in summary, "Hey everyone I had to cut half of the book out, but don't you worry, it will most likely come out next year. Cheerio, Absolute Fucker, February 2005."

What an absolute fucker.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

is full of dudes who just absolutely hate the poo poo out of GRRM and A Song of Ice and Fire but keep reading the books?

Nah. It's full of people who are just really loving annoyed with how long it's taken him to get the last two books out, and the litany of excuses / diversions that have preceded them.

Ixian posted:

You know, he's apologized for that about a dozen times.

Apologies squeezed out between bites of cake and bacon don't count. :colbert:

quote:

Yes, it's annoying it took close to 6 years for the second half of a book he originally split to come out. We're all a little peeved about it. At some point though doesn't it just become a little tiresome to keep bitching about it? That horse is beyond dead. It's corpse has long decayed and even the bones have been carried off by scavengers - it's time to move on.
Eh, it's not like I've been bitching about it for years. I've been annoyed for years, but have posted maybe twice about it. This just came up because I just finished AFfC and it reminded me what his initial projection was.

quote:

Tonight - when the book actually comes out - would be a good time to do so, don't you all think? Plenty of stuff to bitch about in the new book, I imagine.

I just hope the last page isn't all, "Hey guys expect the next book next year!" again. We'll have enough bitching about the length of time it'll take even without that provocation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

e: all will be forgiven if we get a Hodor POV.
"Hodor hodored the hodor to the hodor. The hodor riding in a hodor on his hodor put a hodor on his hodor, hodoring him to hodor up and hodor for the other hodors. Hodor."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Darko posted:

I literally finished book 4 last night, and laughed at the note at the end.

I had to deal with the Dark Tower series wait, so I can kind of sympathize. However, the difference there is that King's auto accident and writing falling off of a cliff as a result has tempered my expectations of any long-going series. Now, I don't get as worked up for waits any more; although if it had been like 10 years ago, I'd be pissed at GRRM as well.
Never having read King I have to ask out of curiosity: his writing falling off is attriibuted to a car accident?

quote:

I mean, even now, I'm not really excited; I'm actually somewhat dreading having to wade through Dany chapters again.
I wasn't before, but having seen some of the spoilers, I'm dreading her chapters now. :( I probably shouldn't be, but still...

quote:

Reading through the books for the first time in quick succession also probably makes it easier to see GRRM's "gimmicks." After a while, some of them get annoying - mainly the "this person hears accurate information that would help them out tremendously but does not believe it" and "I'll purposely make you get attached to a P.O.V. character and the moment that you do, I'll kill them or have something horrible happen to them for a nut-punch to the reader!"
This isn't really a gimmick. A good author will get you attached to a character whether he means to off them or not. And when you get down to it, way more characters whom you're not attached to get killed off than those whom you are.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

b0lt posted:

This summarizes all of Dany's chapters:

What the gently caress christ.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Finished up Dance last night, and while I enjoyed it, I can't help but echo some of the comments regarding the necessity for both Feast AND Dance. I enjoyed both books, don't get me wrong. I probably liked Feast more than most in the SA GRRM fan community. But both books seemed to have a lot of material that I felt was either unnecessary or just over-expanded on, and it just seems like there must have been a way to combine them into one (which would have been better than the sum of its parts).

Specific thoughts:

Enjoyed:
- The Jons. With Snow, I felt like that was the story that, despite having little physical movement, progressed more than anything else. That is, that Jon was actually undertaking and accomplishing a whole lot of pretty big things with getting the wildlings settled on the other side of the wall, recruiting a bunch of them into the Watch, GIANTS, and so on. With Connington, his story moved like Tyrion/Dany's should have, and I liked his persona.

- Barristan the Badass. Yeah boy.

- Dany riding her dragon.

- Ser Robert Strong and Cersei - interested to see how that's going to go.

- Arya's limited appearance, though I'm still not sure why her parts didn't make it into Feast.

Not so enjoyed:

- Tyrion and Dany. Ugh. Tyrion was off and on alright, I guess, but fell well short of previous books. Dany was just boring. I didn't skip or skim her chapters like some here apparently did, but I definitely groaned when I would get to one of hers, especially if it followed one of the Jons, Arya, etc...

- Victarion. Eh. He had some good POVs, and things definitely took a turn for the better once Moqorro entered the picture, but his whole enterprise just annoys me because it was such an obvious ploy of his brother's to get him out of his hair / make him look like a toady, and yet Victarion just doesn't get it. I guess it's just a bit frustrating that he's sort of a dumbass.

- The image of that lamprey/rice dish above.

Other thoughts:

- Continue to enjoy Jaime and his new outlook on life, but that last scene was a whole load of :wtf: I like the one poster's hypothesis that Brienne is bringing him back to fight the "Hound" just to prove how serious he really is about keeping his oath, but it was still an odd scene.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 18, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kainser posted:

You know what would have been great? A single Petyr chapter after the red wedding where we get to see him reacting to Catelyn being murdered :smith:

e; Typing that made me realize that Littlefinger probably hates the Frey's. That should be fun, what with him being the liege lord of the riverlands.

Dude, everyone hates the Freys. The Freys are like the OPEC of Westeros. Everyone gets along with them when necessary, but I don't think a single house would bat an eyelash if the opportunity to wipe them out presented itself. This includes the Starks, the Tullys, the Lannisters, the Boltons, the Baelishes, the Arryns, etc... And since the Red Wedding they're hated even more.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kainser posted:

Sure, but Littlefinger has a personal reason to hate them, not only the 'oh, they were dicks to some guys that one time and broke some traditions'-reason that most other people have.

I mean, this sort of applies to a lot of Houses. Many of the "true" Northern bannerman of the Starks hate them and for those it is as personal as, for instance, the death of 'Aegon' and Elia was to Dorne, as we see from Manderley's reaction. And this would go for the Mormonts and I'm sure anyone else who lost kin at the Red Wedding. The Tullys also used to merely tolerate them for the reasons you mention, but I have a feeling it's a bit more personal now. Long story short, the Freys have reached a point where, as a House, they have fewer redeeming qualities than the Lannisters (who at least have Tyrion, Jaime and Genna) and Targaryens, and are surpassed primarily by the Boltons.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Vicatrion knows what his brother is doing, he just decided to get the dragons for himself, dragons before bros.
I don't know about this. I get the impression that Victarion sees this as more or less what Euron laid out for him, and thinks he's getting the leg up on him by stealing Dany for himself. But at no point in his POV (that I can remember) does he mention what this expedition looks like to everyone else - ie: him being Euron's man / whipping boy / what have you.

Oh, and I forgot to list on my list of things I enjoyed the great Wyman Manderley. For a fat guy, he sure knows how to roll.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

OperaMouse posted:

Yes he was, but it is not unreasonable to assume Littlefinger whispered in Joff's ear that real kings don't give mercy to traitors. Which would mean his love interest was suddenly a widow, and the realm would plunge into chaos.
To me this is just one of those cases where the simplest explanation is probably the more reasonable one. Joff is a crazy motherfucker with a sense of entitlement larger than a dragon's ballsack. It's really easy to imagine him going off script. It's a bit harder to imagine Littlefinger trying to get a nudge in, especially when it opens up the possibility of Joff telling his mom or Varys finding out that Baelish gave said nudge.

quote:

edit: There's a fair amount of talk throughout the books about the Umbers being a fairly strong force in the north. The Freys made an explicit point of making sure that the Greatjon was captured during the Red Wedding to ensure their loyalty, from which it seems a fair inference that the Freys are cautious or afraid of the Umbers.
I don't know if this was because they feared the Umbers' strength or because the Greatjon was probably Robb's biggest supporter among the bannermen, as well as the head of his family, which probably lends him a bit more importance than, say, a less important member of a more powerful family.

Edit: \/\/\/ The also live in the North and know their lands well, so even if they were a minor house they could probably inflict some serious damage (ie: like the Reeds).

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 18, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Edit: ^^^ I posted the same question in the spoiler-free thread a bit earlier today. I want to say I remember a scene where Jon was dispatching messages to Deepwood Motte, which is the way by which the Braavosi banker and Asha's crew found Stannis, making it reasonable to believe that they carried that intel with them. But despite finishing this thing last night I just can't recall for sure.

Incidentally, are there any more theories out there on what's going on with Loras? I recall after AFFC came out there was a whole lot being hypothesized as far as his injuries being faked / seriously exaggerated / somehow planned out beforehand by the Tyrells to get him out of the picture for the time being. I'm curious just because that whole plot always struck me as just way too convenient, what with him being a pretty boy who is now a burned wreck.

On the other hand, we have Quentyn Martell, who I knew was going to be in serious trouble when I saw the chapter was named freaking 'Dragontamer,' but whose method of expiration still caught me by surprise (even when he realized he was on fire I figured he'd make it out alive somehow).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I don't think there were any mentions of Loras in ADWD. I didn't really think that his injuries were faked -- him having a deathwish and recklessly storming the keep seems pretty plausible, I think he's still pretty wrecked over Renly's death. It's possible it was a lie to take him off the board for a bit, though.

Yeah again this is just something that tickled my memory from when Feast first came out and the theories about him (which in all likelihood were motivated by him being the prettyboy that he is and the fantasy fanbase being what it is) that were being thrown around at the time.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

withak posted:

I thought that was the entire significance of the Iron Bank guy finally catching up to Stannis in the woods.

Well, the other significant part of it was that the Iron Bank guy has a ton of money - but yes, that's why I was asking.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dyehead posted:

Yeah, which leads me to think that Ramsay's letter to Jon is horse poo poo, as he's asking for his bride and Reek back, which he'd have if he'd killed Stannis and co.

Though the bit about Mance makes me sad, because unlike the whole Stannis thing, that part just might be true.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

hhhmmm posted:

*The Karstark girl shows up, fitting the prophecy correcty*.
Jon: gently caress YOU Melissandre clearly your prophecies are way off. I will promptly ignore you, especially your call for increased personal security.

Yeah, this whole bit didn't make much sense. Her visions clearly have some element of truth yet suffer in the interpretation, but that's no reason to completely discount a vision of daggers and personal danger.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

So I know a lot of people were pissed about how Bran's story petered out, but I did like how we saw traces of him throughout the rest of the book, like when Theon got close to Weirwood trees and heard whispers.

Since Greenseers can see into the past, can we assume that most of the 'whispering' to Starks and others from Weirwood trees in past books is Bran watching?

Also, can he see the future through the trees?

I wasn't pissed about his storyline, but I was disappointed. Yeah, it had some neat revelations and in that sense was pretty cool, but there wasn't much in the way of plot movement. Not sure about the whole future thing (the description of how weirwoods relate to time could, I guess, go either way, but I'm leaning towards 'past and present only'), but I like that it seems to be going in the direction of 'someone with the ability can use the trees to communicate/see afar/etc...' which would explain a lot as far as the prevalence / worship / importance of those trees.

Oh, also - I remember when the book was leaked there was apparently talk of Howland Reed inhabiting Arthur Dayne's body, but I can't recall actually reading anything that suggested that in the book. Was that just a fake spoiler or did I miss something?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ghost Hat posted:

I get why Meereen was such a clusterfuck for Martin. There was a lot going on inside the city, and no clear way of getting out of the situation without being faithful to Dany's personality. ("I don't want to hurt anyone because I'm DIFFICULT) That said, I don't think Martin handled it very well. Nothing was really solved and as a result the plot never moved forward. I mean if you think about it, a dragon had to literally descend from the heavens and pick Dany up to get her out of that stupid city. Not exactly genius writing.
And more than that, even given the recent developments, there still doesn't necessarily seem to be a clear way out of Meereen. Ok, she sort of has psuedo-control over Drogon, and she may have another khalassar. But is she just going abandon Meereen to the exact same situation that she didn't want to abandon them to earlier? It just doesn't seem like her justification for leaving the city, intact or burning or whatever, is any better/clearer now than before Dance.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Edit: ^^^ The Archmaester to whom Sam is introduced in Feast, who immediately then takes off to meet Dany. Also the one who had the dragonglass candle burning in his room, IIRC, as well as the one who taught both Mirri Maz Duur and Qyburn. Nice resume.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oh god...didn't Tywin have a sister that married one of the Freys?

Yeah, Genna - but she was pretty awesome. Sort of like a non-dwarf female Tyrion.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BeigeJacket posted:

Danys last chapter was weird, I'm not sure what exactly the big fellow was trying to get at. It seems to be a lost-inthe-wilderness-leading-to-great-revelation trope that usually signifies a character reflecing on the past and making a decision for the future. OR it could be read as a woe-is-me-all-is-forsaken self pity jag. Either way it was pretty vaguely done and not satisfying. There were a few times in the book where people were getting murdered and Danys interior monologue would say something like "she was the blood of the dragon, she would lead her people" or some poo poo. And I'd be sitting there thinking 'alright now the gloves are off and shes going to give the dragons a whirl, and of course it never happens.

Yeah, I agree. I was expecting that chapter to be exactly what you describe, a trial-by-hardship sort of revelation from which she emerges being able to control her dragon - or really anything to move her story. But now it's really unclear just what the hell it is that she has emerged with, if anything

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

Speaking of Patchface, did I read right that Melisandre didn't trust him?

There HAS to be something up with Patchface, there just HAS to be. I don't know if it's the lines Martin gave him, or the way he's been written, or the reaction to him from several characters / Melisandre, but there's going to be some weird poo poo going on with him. I have no idea what it's going to be or how or when or why, but SOMETHING will happen.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow. Lots of book talk going on in here. Almost didn't recognize the place... Anywho, it just doesn't strike me as a ploy Mance would pull. I think he would be much more clever than just sending an angry letter.

I like that theory specifically because it sounds exactly like something Mance would do. Let's not forget this is the guy who decided to go sneaking into Winterfell to see the king's party way back in GoT. And jovial as he sometimes seems, he gives the impression that he'd gladly gently caress Jon / Stannis for everything they pulled on 'his people.'

Fly Molo posted:

Isn't Big Daddy Bolton the Lord of Winterfell while he's alive? Further proof that Ramsay's off Roose's leash?

Nah, Ramsay got Winterfell by virtue of 'Arya.' Daddy Roose is the Lord of the Dreadfort.

E:f;b

E2: The Kingsguardian sent to retrieve Myrcella/deliver 'Gregor's' head was Balon Swann. I can't recall Trant being mentioned at all in the last two books, but I may be misremembering.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Decius posted:

He was not wrong.

It's true that I am just a young girl and know little about the ways of forum posting...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

The impression I got during those scenes is that whenever Dany said that, she thought she was being half coy, half :smug:, but everyone around her was just tired of her bullshit.

The first time or two she used it it made some sense, as she was in many ways still a novice and they occurred during times when someone was trying to take advantage of her. By the middle of ADWD she just throws that poo poo out whenever. Got annoying.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

FairGame posted:

No he won't. Dude's clearly decided that he's going to die from greyscale so long as he can get Aegon back on the throne. Nevermind the fact that there's been like 329032902390 characters in the series who have half a hand, 1 hand, 1 arm and still manage to kick rear end.
I got the impression that just chopping the offending appendage off is no guarantee that you're stopping the spread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Midnight- posted:

Zombie Gregor's armor gets pierced in Cercei's trial by combat, and his inside blows away like dust.

I like to picture Zombie Gregor as being akin to the golems in Dragon Age, where (spoilered because I thought it was a pretty awesome bit of background that you find some way into the main story) they are men (dwarves) made to drink a molten metal with magical/mutative properties and then encased in armor also made from said metal, so that they essentially die a grizzly and horrific death and end up being mindless servants, while everyone else thinks they're just really neat artificially created beings who are great and help protect their cities.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DahtBard posted:

So in the TV show (for those who didn't get the chance to see it) there were a few absolutely fantastic added scenes with just Varys and Littlefinger verbally dueling rather magnificently. They both spoke with high elegance, but also had a good amount of grudging respect buried in their words. Is their any way that they could be working together for the destabilization of the realm?
Nah. If anything, the general impression we get is that Varys and LF are more likely working against one another than in tandem.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rednik posted:

At this point I'm positive Aegon is Illyrio's son.

He has to be in on this for a bigger reason than simply money or power in a continent he doesn't live in. Tyrion didn't seem convinced that Illyrio wanted to be Master of Coin. He seemed sad to be sending Aegon off on the river and even brought him his favorite ginger candies. The childrens' clothes (too nice for a slave, too small for Viserys) and the statue of a young Illyrio seem like a big tip-off.
Well, this would imply that Connington is also being duped, which isn't out of the question - but what about Aegon's Targaryan eyes? Was he just born with eyes close enough to purple that Illyrio/Varys went, "Hey, I've got an idea..."?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

priznat posted:

Ramsay puts the GRR in swinger baby, yeah!

I'm betting he gets turned into a slightly sympathetic character just before being killed horribly.

I'd like to see GRRM pull this off. Jamie is one thing. Ramsay...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

priznat posted:

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely but drat it would be impressive if he manages it. I had thought Theon would be pretty irredeemable but you can't help but pity the guy now.

Still not likely. Ramsay's end will be met with cheers and/or "not brutal enough!"

I mean, Theon did some horrible poo poo, but as far as the world knows it's worse than it was (though not really by much) - but as much as he's always been an entitled prick, he's not the wantonly cruel motherfucker that Ramsay is. I honestly can't even imagine what it would take for Ramsay to become sympathetic unless it's some "Roose has mind control powers and Ramsay is really a nice lad locked away in the corner of his mind while the Lord of the Dreadfort controls him like a puppet" bullshit explanation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Not bad. Melisandre seems like a good fit, visually. Almost exactly what she looks like even on the original US cover art for ACoK. My first reaction to Stannis is that he looks a bit old (older than Robert), but then, his experiences over the books age him a ton, so that'll probably be fine. I liked him as Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries, but he was a sort of flighty day-dreaming character, and as Stannis he's going to need to practice clenching his jaw and grinding his teeth. But his quiet and unassuming demeanor fits pretty well.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Also, Jon's sword (valyrian steel (good for killing Others)) was quenched in the blood of his chick, just like AA.
Wait what? When did this happen?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

priznat posted:

I quite like the Braavos/Arya chapters :ohdear:
Me too. I feel it's a bit too drawn out and the pacing isn't great (ie: if Jon's training at the Wall was anything like this he'd still be in line to take his vows), but I enjoy them more than a lot of other stories in Dance (eg: Dany, Tyrion).

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Why does Tyrion keep telling people he killed joffrey? Just because he doesn't care and it's going to be laid at his feet anyways? The evidence points to the Tyrells otherwise doesn't it
Figured it's because he's already been found guilty of it and now he just doesn't care and is like, "Yeah whatever I killed Joffrey." I take it in the same vein as his confessions to both the Arryn (cheated/whored/etc...) and King's Landing (guilty of being a dwarf) courts.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

euphronius posted:

Arya's face changing scene was one of the coolest parts of the book though.
I thought at first they were going to do something like take her face off and replace it. Sort of half-glad that wasn't the case, though the other part of me was all for seeing how that would shake out.

quote:

Also someone said way back that Jon snapping and breaking his vows to go after the Bolton's was out of character. I thought GRRM built into that nicely. At every step he was moving away from the Black and moving closer to his other identities as Jon Snow (Stark) and as a Wilding.
I didn't think that his reaction was out of character, but nor that he was drifting away from the Black. I felt he was actually staying really true to the original intent of the Watch (which was not necessarily what it had more recently become) while broadening his horizons. He was doing what he felt he had to in order to make the Wall as strong as possible against the real enemy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

priznat posted:

Were there any hints that Coldhands may be Benjen Stark? I kept an eye out but didn't see any.

Not really. The only things we really have are:

1) Benjen's body hasn't been found (which isn't a huge shocker in any case)
2) He is clearly in some way dedicated to the Watch
3) It's been remarked and made obvious that the zombies have some memory of either who they were or general things going on around them

So we could speculate that Benjen, being probably far more devoted to the NW than most of his fallen compatriots by virtue of having chosen to serve there despite having other options, as well as having Stark blood and as such being related to the First Men yadda yadda, could well have risen as a wight and then still had enough of his old loyalties in his head to resist whatever crazy mind-altering poo poo happens to other zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

For all the analysis this line has gotten, I just read it as Patchface nonsense. I mean, he does make occasional true prophecies, but I figured that they were mixed up with his equivalent of "in Soviet Russia" jokes.

What occasional true prophecies has he made? I can't recall.