Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
If the lady from the Theon chapters is to be believed the maesters are conspiring for something. Is there any idea what that would be besides ridding the world of magic?

I also hope that the Tower of Joy took place with a Godswood adjacent to it or that Ned tells the full tale to a tree in the next book so that we can finally know what happened there.

cosmic gumbo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Hemp Knight posted:

Pretty sure Jon is actually a legitimate Targ. There’s no reason that Rhaegar and Lyanna couldn’t have married secretly, and I think there’s precedent for Targs having multiple wives. And the kicker is that no less than three Kingsguard knights were at the Tower of Joy when Ned and co arrived. At this point in time, Aerys and Rhaegar are dead, and the Kingsguard should have been with the next in line to the throne, which would be Viserys and Dany.

Unless of course they’re at the ToJ because there’s someone there whose claim to the throne trumps that of Viserys/Dany…

I still am a supporter of the Jon = targ theory, but in Barristan's POV chapter he specifically mentioned that the Kingsguard has been known to guard family members of the King or their mistresses and that it is really up to the King to decide who gets protection.

I missed the Rickon is on Skagos theory. Anyone care to elaborate?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I like to imagine it's like a game of stratego but with dragons.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
He did write some stuff for A Dance With Dragons that was pushed back into the next book so at least he has some stuff already written. Unfortunately some of it is Brienne chapters.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Ghost was acting crazy like Grey Wind was before the Red Wedding way before Jon decided to forsake his vows.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
From what I remember the plan was for Viserys to get his army from Khal Drago then meetup with Aegon and invade Westeros with the Golden Company. At that point Virserys would marry Martell's daughter to unite them with Dorne and they would be able take back the throne.

Now a lot of that plan depended on Viserys not being a psychopath so we know why it went down the drain.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

theblackw0lf posted:

Since Martin said he cut out about 100 already written pages from ADWD and moved them to the next book, some of which resolve dangling plotlines from both ADWD and AFFC, any guesses as to what plotlines they are?

Also I have a feeling if he had kept those 100 pages Dragons would have been a more satisfying book.

I thought I read somewhere that most of the cut material concerned Sansa, Brienne, and Arienne Martell.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Has it even been revealed when Benjen went to the Wall and for what purpose? I don't remember if he was already there by the time of the rebellion or if he joined after.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

Pat is the name of the guy he lost the bet to (pat5150 on the westeros.org boards). Pat's team is the Dallas Cowboys. Ser Patrek's sigil is a blue star, the symbol of the Dallas Cowboys

Was his sigil a blue star? I only ask because of the prophecy "when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Kainser posted:

I'm eager to see what will happen to Aegon to make him less of a perfect prince :allears:

e; Were there any hints in the books before Dance that Aegon might have survived? The only thing I remember is GRRM basically going "WELL, I CAN'T CONFIRM OR DENY THAT" on a con or something when someone asked him if Rhaegar's kids really were dead.

There is a theory I've seen going around that Aegon is actually Illyrio's son. I'm not sure if I buy it but that does explain why Illyrio and Varys have a high stake in getting him crowned beyond "good of the realm" and "rightful heir"

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

literallyincredible posted:

the one thing that makes me think Aegon might not be fake is that Varys portrays him as legit before he kills Kevan. why lie to a dead man?

That's the one problem I have with the theory. The only way to explain it is that Illyrio made a 2nd switch with his kid and baby Aegon/baby Aegon died and was replaced. Either way that drifts into absurd territory.

I didn't start reading the series until the TV show started so I'm about to experience for the first time the long wait between books. I need these crack pot theories to pass the time.

Speaking of the TV show I was disappointed that Pycelle was killed. I don't know how much the writers know about the story that we don't know but when they showed that his whole old man routine was just an act it made me think he was up to some scheme of his own. Guess that was just for the TV show and didn't actually impact the story that Martin wanted to tell.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Rednik posted:

At this point I'm positive Aegon is Illyrio's son.

He has to be in on this for a bigger reason than simply money or power in a continent he doesn't live in. Tyrion didn't seem convinced that Illyrio wanted to be Master of Coin. He seemed sad to be sending Aegon off on the river and even brought him his favorite ginger candies. The childrens' clothes (too nice for a slave, too small for Viserys) and the statue of a young Illyrio seem like a big tip-off.

I posted about this theory earlier and agree with it except for the issue of why would Varys lie to Kevan on his deathbed? Unless Varys didn't know about it or didn't care it seems weird not lie to someone who has no ability to tell anyone else. It also would probably ruin the theory that Lemore = Ashara

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I think faceless men charge a lot because you're guaranteed a successful kill. The only example of price I can remember is the waif tells Arya that her father's price for the death of her stepmother was 2/3rds of his money or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I'm afraid of Martin suddenly having characters thought to be lost making surprise comebacks. Oh look it's the Stark the sailed off and never came back! And the Lannister that did the same! And Darkstar (which would actually be okay)!