Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

It is pretty interesting how people in this thread can both trust and distrust the info they are given in the book.

Septa that was once pregnant? Gotta be Ashara. There's no way she is who she says she is.
Ramsay says he beat Stannis and took his sword? Well if Ramsay said it, it must be true!

Either way, I liked the book, I just don't like the fact that the first 800 pages were setting up the last 100 pages, and the last 100 pages were setting up further books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Can someone explain the whole Lady Lemore = Ashara Dayne? I thought Dayne threw herself from a tower, that seems like a death that would have many witnesses. Is there any evidence that Lemore is Dayne and not who she says she is?

Also, as far as the coin Arya gave the guy, I just assumed it's magic. These guys can put faces of dead people on other people, nothing says they can't have special coins that kill people.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Well Tyrion calls Lemore more handsome than pretty.
Connington didn't so much fake his death as he left his life behind and people assumed he was dead. Ashara supposedly flung herself from a tower, didn't she?
Tyrion marks her past 40. Wasn't Ned mid-30s? I couldn't off on that, been a while since I read AGoT.
Referring to her as lady could be a courtesy or even a joke.
Ser Rolly Duckfield seems to be exactly who he claims to be, just some dude that Connington knighted.

Just seems really hokey to me, though. All these people that were dead keep turning up. He can make interesting characters without having to resort to dead ones from 20 years 15 years ago.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ray_ posted:

She's older, of course she's lost some of her beauty.

No, I'm pretty sure he faked his death:

And yes, Ashara Dayne supposedly killed herself by jumping off a tower and into a river below the castle.

Ned would have been right about 40 in ADWD.

Jon Connington isn't really the joking type ;)
There's never been another septa referred to with the title "Lady" in any of the books. "Lady" is specifically reserved for women of noble birth even if they don't officially hold a Ladyship. Sansa is called Lady all the time, even though she doesn't hold a Ladyship title.
I really do think her being called "Lady Lemore" is a huge hint/clue.

Yep, though I don't really know what that has to do with the topic. Are you saying that not everyone with Aegon is secretly nobility? If so, I definitely agree. I think Duck's story is 100% true.
Think is, Lemore doesn't even have a story. She never says what or how a septa from Westeros is doing halfway around the world raising an exiled and hidden prince. She has to be SOMEONE.

A) People were saying "Ashara was beautiful, Lemore is beautiful, thus..." I was just saying she's not described as beautiful.

B) That's exactly my point. Connington didn't fake his death, he just went into hiding and everyone assumed he was dead.

C) Many people of common birth are called Lord, I don't see why someone couldn't be called Lady without being a noble.

D) I think a lot of people assume that anyone in the company of Aegon would be some secret lord of great power and influence. I think Duck pretty much shows that Connington is willing to let regular people around Aegon.

E) Did the Halfmaester have a story? Does that make him someone important that died 15 years ago?

In the end, I just think it's really retarded for everyone to be someone. If there were solid evidence pointing to Lemore being Ashara, I'd agree with it, but at this point it's just a shot in the dark so three books later someone can say "See I told you so!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

I think Ilyrio's plans go no farther than restoring the Targs, but I think that Varys's motives go much deeper, and he knows a lot more than he lets on even to Ilyrio. Varys is going to come out being an unequivocally good guy at the end, I'm calling it. I think he's well aware of the threat of the Others, he knows that they're awakening now and why, and he's setting up events to allow a victory against them.

I think you are completely wrong. These two are working some kind of angle. Illyrio has spent a fortune to get things where they are. Remember, he gave Dany 3 dragon's eggs, which are worth a handsome price alone. Then, he pays off the Golden Company to meet up with Dany. He's invested quite a bit into the raising and education of Aegon I would imagine.

Varys, on the other hand, has been in Westeros since mad king Aerys. If his entire goal was to protect the realm from the Others, I doubt he'd let it go to poo poo right as they reach the realm.

These fuckers are up to something big. Pentos, maybe? Seems small game still. Maybe they want dragons themselves, and will betray Dany.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Did anyone catch the little hint in Cersei's last chapter about how Littlefinger probably told Joffrey to kill Ned?

Here is the quote from the chapter I'm referring to:
"I would have made Sansa a good marriage. A Lannister marriage. Not Joff, of course, but Lancel might have suited, or one of his younger brothers. Petyr Baelish had offered to wed the girl himself, she recalled, but of course that was impossible; he was much too lowborn. If Joff had only done as he was told, Winterfell would never have gone to war, and Father would have dealt with Robert's brothers."

My partner pointed this out for me just now, and although it isn't explicit, Gurm likes to hide stuff like this everywhere.

No no no no no no.

Joffery was supposed to send Ned to the wall, but instead had him killed. That's what that quote meant. Stop reading into poo poo that isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

bigmcgaffney posted:

I feel like some people would be more satisfied with a pagelong bullet list to finish the series.

A bullet list of which crazy theories are confirmed, to be specific.

What if Rickon wargs into Cersei and has sex with Drogon and thus creates a secret Stark Lannister Targ???