Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Eggnogium posted:

Count me among those who don't believe Tyr is a Targ. I think the Joanna-Aerys reveal works fine as a partial explanation for the falling out between Tywin and Aerys, and I struggle to believe that if Tywin knew Tyrion wasn't his (which most people who buy the theory seem to think) he wouldn't have banished Tyrion the second Robert planted his fat rear end on the iron throne.

By all accounts Tywin passionately loved Joanna. "Promise me, promise me Ned Tywin. Promise me you'll raise him as your own." If he even knew.

Eggnogium posted:

If all the X is a Targ theories are true, the last chapter of the series is gonna be a big ole Targaryen family reunion potluck at the water gardens. Dani's bringing lemon cakes!

Ya, this, but then there's a massacre and Tyrion winds up on the throne.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

withak posted:

That is the kind of thing we would learn in a book where stuff actually happens.

Sword obviously. Need to be spoonfed anything else?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Unoriginal Name posted:

Quentyn.

His fuckup caused the dragons to escape and destroy the master's pyramids.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 30, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Poldarn posted:

I've had this thought reading the last couple of pages. If Aerys' liberties with Joanna during her and Tywin's bedding was copulation, the result wouldn't have been Tyrion but it could have resulted in Jaime and Cersei. I present the following flimsy evidence for this theory;
-Targs have lots of twins and twincest,
-Jaime and Cersei are light haired (I'm not sure if all Targs MUST be platinum blond), and
-Cersei is batshit insane much like Aerys.
If this is the case, then Tommen is the actual heir :haw:

It would reaffirm Tyrion's tragic relationship with his farther, making him is only true son. And Cersei being so insane and Jaime so sane and reasonable would reaffirm the two-sidedness of the brilliant/crazy Targaryens. And yes the Lannisters being the legitimate kings all along would be truly hilarious.

If you want really far-fetched it's possible they aren't twins but Cersei and Jaime were both conceived by different men. Tywin/Aerys on the wedding night.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 31, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

oogyboogs posted:

I tried to read through the Euron chapters, but I couldn't find it. This is gonna sound dumb as hell, but could the stone dragon in the prophecy just mean Dragonstone?

I could and there are stone dragons built into the walls of dragonstone.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The ship sunk. It was a red herring, just like the perfumed adviser guy. The perfumed seneschal is probably Varys or a Maester.

I disagree. You think that someone magically got some face to face time with Dany who is in some other part of the world where thousands of people are trying to kill her and then they waste time by telling her by telling her to beware a dude with perfume? All the men in the east wear perfume. It makes perfect sense as a ship name. Nobody knew Aegon would turn around. And consider the wording of the quote:

“No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.”

If he knows about the Kraken, which is obviously Victrarion, and the lion Tyrion, and the Sun's son Quentyn, and the Griffon Conntington of Griffon's Roost then he should know about Aegon. Trust no one, even your supposed relatives.

The Mummer's dragon is likely Aegon. He's a supposed dragon and it seems that Varys had a hand in his education and Vary's was a Pentoshi mummer in his youth.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 6, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Mr.Brinks posted:

Bloodraven was transformed into this near-omnipotent god, I bet his past life grudges disappeared the moment he was turned into a tree.

Gods can be selfish jerks. Haven't you read read any of the old testament?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Quantify! posted:

It's Dany.

The dragon has three heads. That gets repeated a hundred times, it has to be meaningful.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Call me crazy, but I think Patchface is important. I love all his crazy babblings about the underwater world. If Mel's right about the world being divided between R'hllor and the Great Other, the other could just be the Ironborn's Kraken. The underwater world is cold and dark and the Great Other is the lord of cold and darkness.

Melisandre’s face darkened. “That creature is dangerous. Many a time I have glimpsed him in my flames. Sometimes there are skulls about him, and his lips are red with blood.”

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

insider posted:

I finally just finished this and just feel pissed off. I really liked the book until the last 150 pages or so.

So he literally just killed Jon and blueballed us with zero resolution to any of the other plot threads besides maybe Arya.

God drat. gently caress.

No. Arya doesn't really get any true plot resolution, she immediately gets new problems that are alot worse. She's might go insane from warging into the cat or flunk out of the murderer training academy or she might not.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Unoriginal Name posted:

I've got a problem with Varys' plan to restore the kingdom. He kills a person who is bringing peace to the kingdom in order to give it to a teenage girl from a line riddled with madness. He is fighting against his own professed interest in the well-begin of the people by killing Kevan. He has never met Dany and any reports he is getting from spies in Essos would be of how lovely a ruler Dany is.

Basically, wtf Varys?

He's not planning on giving the realm to Dany. He's giving it to Aegon who if he isn't the real Aegon shouldn't have that madness problem. And I don't think he is the real Aegon. GRMM made a big effort to explain in ADWD how there are many thousands of people across the sea descended from the blood of Valyria.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Dany comes back to Westeros on the side of the red religion as the Volantis chapter seemed to foreshadow. Since it seems that it was probably a red priest who cut off Vary's balls.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 18, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Haraksha posted:

He never intended Viserys to take the throne. He never intended for Dany to live this long. The whole point of Viserys and Dany was to distract Robert and the realm. He always kept them around as shadows as a constant reminder to Robert that his power could be threatened, but he was never going to let them conquer Westeros and Dany was never meant to see it. In fact, Varys himself sent the order to kill Dany.

So what was the point?

As has been mentioned, it was a well thought out subterfuge. Dany and Viserys were distractions only. As long as Robert was focused on them, he would never even begin to wonder if there was another far more dangerous threat. Let Robert think that he's killed off the only rivals to the throne, and then drop Aegon on his coast when he's least expecting it.

But Robert was never concentrating on anything except whores and wine so I don't see how it was necessary to "distract" him. I mean really you think Illyrio had the leader of the most powerful Khalasar pay him a vist, married him a Targaryen, and gave Dany 3 priceless dragon eggs to "distract" a drunken nitwit like Robert? I fail to see how this subterfuge accomplished anything, Robert thought Aegon died 16 years earlier so he wasn't looking for him.

Also the theoretical threat of the Dothraki was not from their Arrakhs but from their bows. Dothraki learn to shoot from horseback at age 4. There's plenty of historical examples of western armies being massacred by mounted archers. For instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Legnica

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 21, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

menino posted:

Those theories are not strong in the least.

There's an entire paragraph in ADWD about how Aerys was extremely interested in Tyrion's mother. And Aerys was a rapist. I'm undecided, but if Tyrion isn't Aerys's son then GRRM is clearly intentionally misleading the people who have been speculating about the possibility.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Fog Tripper posted:

Blind faith that gurm has a clue at this point is a pretty stupid extreme as well.

GRRM's diatribes on the Lost and BSG endings gave me some hope. They indicate to me that he understands how not to end a sprawling series.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 27, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

UR1S posted:

I figured that GRRM put in the detail of the sealing wax being smudged as an intentional clue that the letter is fishy. It seems like a weird detail to add if it doesn't signify anything.

Maybe he smeared it because he was angry when he wrote it. Ramsey doesn't even seem like the type of guy to put much effort into pleasantries like nice wax sealing under the best of circumstances.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Mr Crustacean posted:

Could the 'stabbing one dear to him' part of the azor ahai prophecy refer to Jon giving up on rescuing Arya?

The key thing is that somebody's soul needs to go into lightbringer.

quote:

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew beforehand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer.

I think Drogo's soul is literally in Drogon. I wouldn't rule out multiple Azor Ahais, and I'm sure Jon's dream means something. However, it could just be that somebody takes longclaw off Jon's corpse and later Jon takes Stannis's sword after he dies, that would be a hilarious red herring.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
I don't think Jon magically turned into a good leader or a "superhero." From when he decides to execute Slynt personally onwards he's just imitating Ned. He's just like Robb.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Starks are Atredies. Lannisters are Harkonnens. The Bene Gesserit are the faceless men. The Maester's are mentats. The dragons are sand-worms. Bran becoming a tree is like God Emperor. Arya therefore is going to train a bunch of northmen like faceless men and they'll train more men and more men and then the fedeyken of Arya will conquer the world for Bran. Right?

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 24, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Baldbeard posted:

Honestly, I think Berric Dondarrion's entire purpose in the story was to be a foreshadowing of Jon and the red priestess. Dondarrion had his red priest to revive him, and Jon has his own. Also, I just listened to some podcast with GRRM where he goes into detail about how he thinks resurrecting characters should be. Where they come back to life with very obvious flaws, missing a part of their humanity.

I think Jon is going to come back, but he's going to have his mind a little blown out.

Exactly. Jon forgetting who is could be fascinating. Between that and the "tragic doomed character" answer are making me feel much more positive that the ending will be satisfyingly negative.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But can you honestly say that after having read ASoS, that is a meaningful/relevant catch phrase?

I mean yeah, it was so cool that it is used about a thousand times (I just made that number up) in ADwD.

Of course it's meaningful. It's a reference to homicidal-vagina-shadow-babies. I've always considered homocidal-vagina-shadow-babies to be extremely important.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Wait Loras wasn't "praying" with Renly? :monocle:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

mikey triumph posted:

An interesting aspect of the Drowned God theology is the plurality its followers embrace. Aeron Damphair acknowledges multiple gods while giving sole fealty to only one. Victarion follows suit, by staying true to his Drowned God faith while simultaneously acknowledging the existence of the totalitarian mono-god R'hllor, even making human sacrifices to it! Given his past (former wife, murdered only because of Euron), Victarion might be a person inclined toward monogamy, all which would explain the apparent dissonance in his sacrifice of the virgins.

The Ironborn are just Viking Israelites. They are the chosen people of the evil god. Of course the god in the old-testament is evil so it's really not much a stretch.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

computer parts posted:

Actually, no.

The big sequences are the resolution of the Penny/Pretty Pig storyline and the big sequence where Jorah preforms the entire Bear and the Mainden Fair song. The pig eats penny and Jorah brings the slavemasters to tears and they decide to free him.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms is Stannis I. :confused:

Mance was chosen quasi-democratically. :colbert:

p.crestmont posted:

Yeah I heard it too, it actually made me really sad; the stress he's getting from fans and now HBO for not writing faster (paired with his age and obesity)is literally going to kill him :(. Enjoy your movie theatre and relax GRRM.

He wrote like 400 pages of that Dance prequel a while ago. I think he's more stressed out by the Giants being poo poo than by any pressure from fans.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Whorelord posted:

So was Euron. I actually wrote a massive joke essay on westeros.org about how the Greyjoys are the most socially progressive family in Westeros because I felt like being a massive sperg and then a sperg even bigger than me thought I was being serious.

Here it is, in case you have a desire to go to westeros.org.

But Mance is the real deal if he isn't actually dead. He's like JFK.

Euron is Richard Nixon. He was exiled for a while because he was unpopular but he comes back with a plan. Instead of a secret plan to end the Vietnam war he has one to get dragons. He wages psychological war on people. But Asha is going to impeach him. Balon got chucked into some water. Watergate.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Cornwind Evil posted:

Martin's basically cheated. Instead of it being a world where no one in theory has plot armor and you reap what you sow, Martin's reversed it: the only way to get anywhere is to be a heartless, soulless bastard focused entirely on getting what they want and assuming the world will just be better off because of it (or dismissing the world entirely). It's one thing to punish someone for the excesses of a traditional fantasy hero: it's another to structure it where the overall message is THIS BEHAVIOR IS STUPID THE CHARACTER IS SO STUPID THEY'RE DYING BECAUSE THEY'RE SO STUPID, like the second the person decided they wanted to have any empathy at all they deserved a terrible fate.

Really, how many of you know complete assholes who just want what's best for them in your own real life? Do you really want them to succeed? Do you really like the idea that the world is set up so that its 'proper' for people like them to succeed, because they 'get it'? That factor, IMO, is Martin's biggest weakness and reeks of nerd overstimulation.

But if he comes back from the dead then that's not the message of the series. You could say that's the message of Dance. But it's a middle act, it's supposed to be depressing. Overall I think Jon's story is going look like a normal monomyth by the end. He does the right thing, suffers, perseveres, and succeeds.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
That girl they got playing Shireen is really good for her age. They're definitely expanding her role, which is great. My favorite line from the preview chapters was Stannis replying to the knight who wanted to know what to do if Stannis died and Stannis coldly replies " — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Hunky Joe posted:

@StephenKing: Come on, guys, it's been in the books for 15 years or so, and the episode ran tonight.

Oh Stephen King. You are the Wildest Card.

He'd fit in good here.

He must already be, the writing in Game of Bones was just too drat good.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Will we ever learn about who the Mountain is? Why does he remain loyal all this time? Is he a incest baby of some mountain god? Or just evil guy's evil henchman stereotype?

He's actually an Archmaester from the Citadel and the most articulate character in the books but he wears his chain under his armor so you never notice.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Hunky Joe posted:

This is a great theory but too many holes. The last dragons were maybe what, three or four hundred years ago? And Sam mentioned at one point that White Walkers haven't been spotted for a thousand years. This either insinuates that the White Walkers are REALLY slow at marching or didn't care about about the Targ dragons before Dany's. Why march for Dany and not the other dragons? Why do hers break this unspoken of pact and not her ancestor's?

8000 years ago was the "long night." A couple thousand years after the Children get kicked out. The Others motivation probably just has something to do with magic returning after Summerhall since they're probably sacrificing babies. And maybe a little manipulation from Bloodraven. Though I like Shireen's explantion of what the Others want. They want to dance, to play, and to stay.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 27, 2014

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
It's not a spoiler if Winds never comes out.

rypakal posted:

tell us precisely how you tastefully rape someone?

I'm sure there was an episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy that dealt with that.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

SaviourX posted:

I missed it earlier, but here's the Rolling Stone interview with Grum, which is actually pretty decent.

And even though he could have written a page a day and finished a book since Dance, that old gently caress still has a touch of the goon (or is it that we have a touch of the George? is he in us or us in him?).

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423

He says maybe its all the fans fault that he writes so slow. :psyduck:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

In It For The Tank posted:

If you consider Mance's current situation, probably holed up in the crypts below Winterfell while the castle is in lockdown and a blizzard is preventing any escape, his current options are: wait until Ramsay finds him and kills him painfully, wait until Stannis finds him and kills him painfully, or hope Jon takes the bait. Jon is literally the last person in the North with any semblance of power who wouldn't immediately kill him on sight, especially since (as far as Mance is aware) he just rescued Arya.

Also, disregarding all other evidence, we know the letter was written by a wildling because only wildlings use the term "black crows" to refer to brothers of the Night's Watch. "Crows" is common vernacular, but in five books "black crows" has been used eleven times exclusively by wildlings (and Jon, in one instance where he is talking to wildlings and mocks their term).

Witerfell is colossal. And Mance is very experienced when it comes to sneaking around. I can't see him cowering in one place when he's always bragging about being able to climb around so easily. He was looking for the Horn of Joramun that was probably taken by the Starks and that would explain the spearwives interests in finding the location of the crypts. Parts 8 and 9 here are really interesting: http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Horn.html

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

In It For The Tank posted:

He would be cowering in one place now that he's been exposed by association as being involved in the plot to steal Arya. The spearwives were found out, so he's in deep poo poo. The castle would be in lockdown and everyone would be looking for him, and the blizzard would inhibit his ability to climb or escape the walls (not to mention the army outside the walls). The crypts are the only place where he might be safe since only Barbrey Dustin and Big Walder know where the entrance is, and the true depths of the crypts have never been explored. Plus, hiding in the crypts is the natural thematic conclusion of Mance's recreation of the story of Bael the Bard, because Bael hid in the crypts as well.

Of all the Winterfell Huis Clos' conclusions, Mance finding the Horn of Joramun is the most out there. I think Bran Vras is much better at identifying symbols, imagery, and themes than theory crafting. I find it more likely that Mance wanted to find the crypts in order to have a place to hide and discuss his plans in private and/or because of his interest in folklore and history (again, Bael the Bard).

Why would Mance even want the Horn of Winter anyway? It allegedly destroys the Wall, and the entire point of his mass mobilization of wildlings was to lead his people behind the Wall for protection. Even if he only wanted to recover it so that it could not fall into the wrong hands (which wouldn't make much sense since according to Bran Vras it's apparently been kept safely hidden in Winterfell crypts for thousands of years), that wouldn't explain why he blew it. Twice.

That's my favorite part of the Huis Clos. It's true, we don't know why it was blown twice but the book ends shortly after that so it may be too early to say. Some people seem to think it might destroy the wall somehow, but Mance and others clearly say it summons giants from the Earth. The horn was apparently used before by Joramun and the Wall is still there so it doesn't seem to destroy the wall.

And what army is outside the walls? A horn blows and everybody says "oh poo poo it's the Stannis the Mannis." But Stannis is still a long distance away in his chapters so they're wrong. Crowfood's might still be out there but his horn is described very differently. One of Mance's spearwives is a drummer apparently so she could provided the drumming.

-Mance definitely wants the horn. He spent a long time looking for it in the Frostfangs.
-Bael the Bard didn't just hide in the crypts he stole a Stark's daughter.
-Jon has prophetic dreams about a horn that sounds low and slow like the one that blows in Winterfell and like Euron's.
-It sounds crazy but we already have 1 magic horn in the story and Mance having a secret plan would explain how cooperative the Wildlings suddenly became.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 2, 2014

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

COOL CORN posted:

That's one thing I was confused about. He made a big deal about how you should never rescue a man if you know he has greyscale, but don't we basically know by now that Tyrion doesn't have it? So how did Griff get it?

Granted, I have like 5 more chapters left.

Obviously Tyrion is immune because of his merman heritage.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

nine-gear crow posted:

Production spy photos for Season 5 show Tryion's somehow worked his way into Dany's inner circle by the time Danzak's Pit happens, so I wouldn't hold my breath of that ever happening.

Mainly because the show is going to be series canon from here on out whether GRRM likes it or not. :v:

It just show him on the dais. I was shocked he wasn't invited up there in the books. All that needs to happen is for Barristan to say "hey that's Tyrion" when Tyrion almost becomes lion food in the pit.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would Barristan want to do anything to save a Lannister? His king was betrayed by their family and he was forced out of the Kingsguard by Cersei. That's assuming he can even recognize Tyrion from where he was at. Or that Dany's immediate reaction wouldn't be something along the lines of "oh someone from the House that betrayed and murdered my father? I changed my mind, let the lions eat them."

Ya Barristan would just laugh quietly to himself out of sadistic enjoyment. But it's Dany's wedding day and she hasn't had the shits that make her go hardcore dragon yet. Also this is the TV adaption so the stadium isn't big and Tyrion isn't wearing a helmet because important characters can't wear helmets on TV.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The underlying idea behind those places is that they likely are not as fantasical as the book makes them sound. Westeros comes off boring because the Maester has detailed historical accounts of what happened on the continent for the last 500 years, and he easily knows how to pick apart hearsay from actual facts. As the book moves farther away from Westeros though, the author no longer has any first hand information about the locations he is describing and is literally just repeating every sailor tale, and legend that ever mentions the place. It' likely looking at how continental Europe described exotic locales before merchants started sailing to those places in mass.

But the Essos places we do see in the main books are extremely exotic. Meereen/Qarth are an orientalist wet dream.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Anonymous Zebra posted:

We see strange customs, and exotic people. But what we're talking about is green-skinned vampire people, King Kong vs Dinosaurs, a radioactive deadzone of necromancers, and other absolutely insane poo poo.

We already have other vampiric warlocks though. Asshai is apparently traveled to alot because they get all their food from outside. And I'm not saying this is conclusive but GRRM went to the trouble to pay an artist to depict those green skinned people.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Ross posted:

I'm also looking forward to the resolution of the current K's L situation, about the only cliffhanger among the dozen or so from ADWD I actually give a moderate gently caress about at this point.

First quarter 2016 can't get here soon enough!

Heh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...se-9572923.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think he knew it would happen, he's not delusional.

He said in at least a dozen interviews that he had plenty of time and was confident he would finish before the show caught up.