Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I don't know guys pretty much everyone who can actually say they've read the book seems to like it maybe it's time to retire the "ASoIaF is now terrible" schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Who are you referring to? Reviewers for magazine and such? Why would they say something negative about the Highly Anticipated New Work from Celebrated Author George RR Martin, the American Tolkien?

Yup American book reviewers sure do love sucking genre fiction cock that's for sure.

EDIT: And hey look I'm not saying the book is any good. Just that maybe we should read it before drawing conclusions.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 10, 2011

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I believe the copy I got must be short some pages as this book lacks an ending. Can someone confirm how many pages the US edition should have?

The copy of AFFC that I ordered 6 years ago had the same problem.

Dirty postman playing tricks, no doubt.

If the last chapter isn't an epilogue, you're missing pages. Unless your joking because haha cliffhangers, in which case welp.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

soru posted:

It would be kind of awesome if the "twist" with Jon was that he's actually dead for real.

No that would be stupid because it would mean his whole goddamn plot line went all of nowhere which is why it is a stupid cliffhanger.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Bored at work today, kinda started slacking near the end and just slapped whoever wherever in Essos

I should also note I wasn't going by house sigils. Yeah, Lions = Lannister, but the Lions suck and have a history of sucking. Also if that were the case, there wouldn't be any team for the Starks since there's no wolf logo teams in the NFL.

Here's all the text with individual players lined up with their westeros counterparts.

Hater Bears fan detected. Sorry you've only won one superbowl. :colbert:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I don't know guys I liked ADwD much better than ACoK. I really didn't enjoy ACoK that much at all.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

run DNC posted:

So I'm pretty certain Dany is immune to regular disease and sicknesses, and the reason she is ill at the end of ADWD is Daario. Daario had her every way a man can have a women. Dany is sick because Daario went rear end to mouth.

I'm just like the guy who figured out Tywin being poisoned.

What's this about Tywin having been poisoned? Is that why he's on the shitter when Tyrion comes and murders him with a crossbow? How is this known?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Joramun posted:

To be fair, so are all the other chapters in that book except for Cersei's and one or two of Brienne's.

AFFC (excluding the fantastic Cersei arc) should be retitled ATOT (A Tome of Tedium).

This is why I don't understand the assertion that ADwD is the worst book in the series. Surly it's at least better than AFfC. God AFfC was a slog. I actually think ADwD is better than ACoK (which I don't care for) too but I understand that would be disparaging the sanctity of the much adored "original" three books.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I predict that in the show Bronn will take the place of all of the Kettleblacks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I watched a couple of episodes for the first time. It was okay.

Anyone here old enough to have read Stephen Donaldson? I'm reading the Thomas Covenant chronicles. Sort of GRRM territory the hero rapes a teenage virgin in the first 100 pages So there's that, I suppose. :geno:

The second one was really exciting. Other than that the whole serious was kind of boring.

Also, that spoiler is absolutely real and I have no good explanation for why the story is like that or what Donaldson was going for.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

nobody still believes that the next book will really come out, right?

You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe that TWoW will not eventually be released in some form. It's worth too much to his publishers to just let it go. If necessary they'll just buy the absolute fucker out and get a ghostwriter to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

It makes me quite happy to know that after years of toiling away as GRRM’s manservant that Ty finally broke free and now has a series of successful books and a TV adaptation of his own, while GRRM sits alone watching football in his den (I’m assuming alone. I don’t know/care if his wife is a football fan).

Wait wait wait, so the Ty half of James S. A. Corey is the same Ty who used to be the GRRM's assistant? That's hilarious I wonder how I never put that together before.