Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I was really looking forward to this game then I played it at a friend's house. I only got to like the 2nd or 3rd mission (the hacking was so bad it made me furious, alarms every where) before I gave up. It had a lot of promise. I didn't think I would ever bother to play it again but...
$5 on Steam ... that is not even the price of a mcdonalds extra value meal. Guess I'll check it out =) Thanks for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
What the gently caress were they thinking with that hacking minigame?

Other than that, the game is great except it's a really lovely port. Get a controller. I also can't enable subtitles for some reason. It just reverts it back to off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

I don't think your comparisons are quite right. ME2 made a LOT of improvements over its predecessor, and not only did it have 'tighter' combat but it focused a lot more on the characters and their growth than trying to convince you that the setting was, like, a totally cool space thing (despite it being a loose rip-off of KOTOR).

Alpha Protocol did not feel right as a shooter. I don't know how to quantify this; maybe it isn't quantifiable; but it just didn't quite work. It had a lot going for it in the writing department and certain playstyles were definitely rewarded, especially the Pistols/Stealth playstyle, but I think people had a hard time meshing the modern, relatively realistic setting with RPG elements like 'cloak yourself when you get spotted by an enemy' or 'your grenades do +20% damage'. The further a setting is removed from the modern day, the more people are able to accept game mechanics that don't intrinsically make sense. Games like Deus Ex were better able to integrate the game mechanics and the story than AP was, and I feel like if they had maybe designed it less around powers that had cooldown times or whatever it might have been more palatable by general audiences. Or if it was too hard it might have been a total mess! It probably couldn't be too difficult to be a Master Spy without pissing off a lot of people.

This sort of stuff is less cognitively dissonant in a fantasy setting, where you can kind of make up your own rules as you go, than it is in a modern, 'this is the secret spy world YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT' kind of setting that AP took place in, and I think the negative review scores reflected that, even if the game was good once/if you were able to get over that.

I was explaining why people complained about the shooting. Not saying shooting was the only thing ME2 improved on(Though I personally hate the ammo system).

AP's shooting was fine. Even in my non-pistol playthroughs I never had a problem with killing what I wanted to kill. You just have to know how to use each weapon.

And I am used to separating gameplay mechanics from the world and story mechanics in RPG's(Why didn't they just use a phoenix down or cast revive on Aeris etc etc). I guess I could see how that might cause a negative reaction in some people. But it has never bothered me.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003

Megabuttes posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking with that hacking minigame?

Other than that, the game is great except it's a really lovely port. Get a controller. I also can't enable subtitles for some reason. It just reverts it back to off.

Just buy a fuckload of EMP grenades and use them on every hack. You never really have to bother with hacking again. Funnily enough the other games are great, and the hacking would be as well if the controls worked on PC.

This game has worked its way onto my top five list. I probably played through 3 or 4 times, which might not seem like much. But i usually stop playing games midway through because they get boring and tedious.

Smellem Sexbad fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 5, 2011

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

2) A (slightly spoilerful) word for dealing with Conrad Marburg in Rome: always pick the Suave option when dealing with him. He hates cocky upstarts and, trust me, you're going to want to get under his skin as much as possible. You'll thank me later, believe me.
What happens if you do that?

Also, speaking of Marburg (ending spoilers?): Why did my character become buddies with Marburg in the end? What could I have done that made the game think I wanted to be buddies with him after he had killed Thorton's GF? IIRC I pretty much called him out in every conversation. Maybe Thorton was supposed to be scared of him and relieved when Marburg didn't wanna fight?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This is the only game that has ever turned me into an achievement whore, partly because some of the more esoteric achievements represent certain decisions that make for an interesting playthrough.

On my recruit run I played it as a young professional who was more eager to get his foot in the door than anything else, and ended up triggering 'Rising Star', 'Thorton Inc', 'Evolution of an Action Hero' and 'Ask Questions First Shoot Later' and 'No Time For Love' and honestly got most without even really trying to. It also gave me a fantastic ending.

On my newly unlocked veteran playthrough, I think it would be a fun challenge to try and get 'Judge Jury and Executioner', 'Hard to Read' and the ones where you bang all the women in the game. I think it will end up with Mike looking like some sort of completely manipulative sociopath. The crazy part is, while those two playstyles are completely different, Mike never feels out of character or disjointed the way, for example, Commander Shepard sounds totally schizophrenic if you switch freely between renegade and paragon.

Anyone have any advice on 'Judge Jury and Executioner'? I'm not sure who exactly needs to die to unlock it, when, etc.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Oh yeah, if one thing should be in the OP for first time players it should be which doors that you can miss if you go too far on the final mission.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

woodenchicken posted:

What happens if you do that?

Also, speaking of Marburg (ending spoilers?): Why did my character become buddies with Marburg in the end? What could I have done that made the game think I wanted to be buddies with him after he had killed Thorton's GF? IIRC I pretty much called him out in every conversation. Maybe Thorton was supposed to be scared of him and relieved when Marburg didn't wanna fight?
Getting under his skin allows you to piss him so thoroughly off in Rome that he blows his cool. Technically, all his objectives have been completed at this point, Mike just being a minor inconvenience, so there's nothing keeping him there. If you piss him the gently caress off, he doesn't give a poo poo and fights you to the death, allowing you to kill him in Rome.

The final sentence is correct. Marburg is a dangerous badass motherfucker, and not fighting him after a long taxing fight through the Greybox is vastly better than having to fight him.

V pfft. Played it on recruit/hard the first time through. (I should not have done that). The minigames were absolutely ballsout insane.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 5, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Meowbot posted:

I was really looking forward to this game then I played it at a friend's house. I only got to like the 2nd or 3rd mission (the hacking was so bad it made me furious, alarms every where) before I gave up. It had a lot of promise. I didn't think I would ever bother to play it again but...
$5 on Steam ... that is not even the price of a mcdonalds extra value meal. Guess I'll check it out =) Thanks for the thread.

Did you play it on Normal? Don't play it on normal, the minigames are near-impossible.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

My gamepad's usually pretty reliable but for some reason everything is inverted, the buttons don't match the on screen prompts and the sticks' directions and inverse! Any way to solve this? The invert Y axis setting doesn't affect anything on or off. It's only the Y axis affected.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 5, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Holy Calamity! posted:

In the old thread someone detailed how to turn Marburg, including what dossiers to get and such. Any luck getting a repost of that?

Here's the guide that I posted in the last thread
Some spoilers ahead.

To turn Marburg on Parker. You need pretty full dossiers on both characters. Getting all of Marburgs dossiers is pretty easy but there are a couple of Parker dossiers that are easy to miss.
I just did this recently so here a guide to doing it.

Parker's dossiers

Do the stealth orientation and the extra stealth challenge to get the first two.
Mina will send you an email complaining about Darcy. Take the aggressive reply to this and she will apologise and she will offer to send you intel on Parker, Darcy or Westbridge. This is easily missed so be careful.
Another email from Mina when Westbridge is on the firing range again a choice of one of Parker,Darcy or Westbridge.
On the villa mission buy the intel that reveals the secret tunnel in the garden. Right at the end of the mission you will gain access to this. You will find both a Parker and a Marburg dossier in there. Check your map when in the garden.
His final dossier is found right before you contact him but it isn't needed for turning Marburg as the conversation that triggers this event has already happened.

Marburg's dossiers

Automatically at the start of Rome.
Email automatically sent some time following the gelatto shop mission
Second floor of the CIA listening post. I think it is behind a blackboard in the right hand room as you go up the stairs. Easy to miss.
An intel buy before the Cafe meeting.
In the secret tunnel in the villa alongside the other Parker dossier.
In the museum right where you make the choice on whether to save Madison or disarm the bomb. There are two doors in front of you. The dossier is behind one of them.
In one of the rooms in the greybox but as with the final Parker dossier you will have already turned Marburg at this stage.

Triggering it all

After starting the final mission you will be taken away for execution and you will meet with Marburg. If you have done everything right you will get a special dialog option titled Deus Vult. Pick this and sit back and watch the results.

To turn Parker on Marburg you need to find out Madison's relationship to Parker.
You will need the full dossier on Madison as follows

Automatically when she is first mentioned.
Intel buy at some stage before meeting her.
In Marburgs villa. In the room with the piano right after finding your equipment it is located next to a couch.
In the Roman ruins right next to the communications array.
Immediately after sleeping with her the relationship will be revealed automatically in dialog.

I think you need a positive relationship with this character.

Triggering this

Choose to disarm the bombs in the museum so Marburg will kill Madison
Contact Parker in the final mission and reveal what Marburg did. I think this will overwrite the deus vult option if you have already taken that one.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ZoDiAC_ posted:

My gamepad's usually pretty reliable but for some reason everything is inverted, the buttons don't match the on screen prompts and the sticks' directions and inverse! Any way to solve this? The invert Y axis setting doesn't affect anything on or off. It's only the Y axis affected.

Failing this is there a way to rebind the M key?

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Glad I read this thread yesterday, it made me give Alpha another go, I purchased it when it first came out but the Saudi missions were really underwhelming so at the time I just stopped playing.

Last night I got to mother Russia and the setting is a hell of a lot better. I actually like this game now. Apart from the lovely map during missions.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just did a giveaway for this in the appropriate Steam thread, and before the sale ends I'll probably do one more. If you still haven't tried the game, keep your eyes peeled.

Edit: It is over!

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 5, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Holy Cheese posted:

Glad I read this thread yesterday, it made me give Alpha another go, I purchased it when it first came out but the Saudi missions were really underwhelming so at the time I just stopped playing.

Last night I got to mother Russia and the setting is a hell of a lot better. I actually like this game now. Apart from the lovely map during missions.

Saudi is basically an extended training mission.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
am i playing this game right

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

Saudi is basically an extended training mission.

They should have picked a better place really. It gave the impression that it was all about the desert. Pretty sure every western person gets enough of that in America and the middle - east.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^ Mike's got a serious pube beard.

Hit a bug when I beat my 360 copy. Whenever I beat the game it says it's saving my Game Complete info, but once I pop past the credits and try and start a new game it says I haven't beat the game at all. I got all the achievements just fine, but nothing else.

I'm not able to connect to Live (Afghanistan and all), so I'm guessing this might have been patched but I can't do anything right now.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Did the 360 version even get a patch, wait, did the PC version even get a patch?

I think it had a total of 1 from memory but other than that, SEGA shat on them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Tip for computer hacking - unfocus your eyes, it's easier to notice the non-changing code fragments that way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Sir, you are playing this wonderfully.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

crazy bearded thorton is the only way to play.

I like to imagine him and Heck swap tips on milliners and beard trimmers.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
If initial impressions are a major factor for video game reviewers, I think I can understand the less-than-deserved reception Alpha Protocol got. I'm playing for the first time right now and if it wasn't for Obsidian's sterling story-telling reputation (and positive goon reviews) I would have lost interest for two reasons:

1) The game looks like it has another cliched generic Middle Eastern terrorist plot with not much else for the player to think otherwise besides a hint of another cliche, the evil corporation/military-industrial complex.

2) The Saudi Arabian missions which showcase how the action will be like for the rest of the game kind of suck. I quickly figured out that I could easily spam take-down without worrying about the bodies alerting guards or that I could noisily run and gun in one "section" without alerting the guards in the next area, which killed my immersion. There isn't a sense of scarcity or desperation that I got when playing Spinter Cell or Deus Ex, where you're encouraged or outright forced to use of skills and consumables.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I'm having a little trouble with the various weapon and armor stats. The manual isn't helping, so I guess this would make a good addition to the OP.

How does accuracy, recoil and stability affect the game? What ranges are the numbers in? Does a relative decrease of one stat point affect the accuracy stat as much as it does the sound dampening of armor?

Am I right in assuming that only damage matters if I mainly go for critical shots with the pistol while standing perfectly still? What should I buy in the store?

natlampe fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 5, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

natlampe posted:

I'm having a little trouble with the various weapon and armor stats. The manual isn't helping, so I guess this would make a good addition to the OP.

How does accuracy, recoil and stability affect the game? What ranges are the numbers in? Does a relative decrease of one stat point affect the accuracy stat as much as it does the sound dampening of armor?

Am I right in assuming that only damage matters if I mainly go for critical shots with the pistol while standing perfectly still? What should I buy in the store?

You'll want to spend your money on intel, armour and EMP charges, possibly other gadgets while you're at it. There's not a huge amount of difference between the best and worst weapons - a critical pistol headshot kills an unarmoured target no matter what - but the best armours are vastly better than what you start with. You pick up a lot of weapon and armour addons during your missions.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
One thing to note when you are playing a stealth character is that the early starting armour is too noisy for stealth. You are actually better off going on missions in your civvies until the good stealth armours show up.

Also the most important thing in combat is to get critical hits.
For Pistols you need to line up the cross hairs by holding your aim on the target.
For shotguns you "charge up" your attack by holding the aim button, you can do this in advance of combat to get a head start.
For rifles you will need to hold your aim steady and the crosshair will tighten up for a critical.
For SMGs you need to score consecutive hits on your targets before running out of ammo. A critical hit multipler will build up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy Calamity! posted:

Wait I think I meant to ask how to turn Parker :shobon: I remember it included getting 100% of Madison's dossier and resulted in Parker attacking marburg.

The best part? Last time I tried this everything went according to plan, except my Thorton had a reputation for being a lying dickhead with a warped sense of humour, so Parker told him to gently caress off and hung up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

The best part? Last time I tried this everything went according to plan, except my Thorton had a reputation for being a lying dickhead with a warped sense of humour, so Parker told him to gently caress off and hung up.

Haha no way! That's awesome. I'm definitely going to be trying this on my next run.

One clarification question: If I am trying to turn Parker on Marburg, do I still just choose the Deus Vult option, or is it a later trigger scene?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

In Training posted:

Haha no way! That's awesome. I'm definitely going to be trying this on my next run.

One clarification question: If I am trying to turn Parker on Marburg, do I still just choose the Deus Vult option, or is it a later trigger scene?

Clarification for the spoiler: Doesn't matter, if you've uncovered Madison's secret all you need to do is, when you contact Parker, to tell him that Marburg attempted killing his daughter.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

natlampe posted:

Accuracy is the basic stat, affecting how broad a cone of fire the game puts your ammo in when you shoot from the hip or without lining up a pistol/AR critical. From what I've observed, recoil and stability both alter that at different times.
Recoil is how long it takes your reticule to get back to optimum size after firing. This is important for assault rifles and SMGs, as better recoil control means more shots on target. Even if you line up criticals with the assault rifle, you need recoil to keep from having only one shot of three hit.
Stability is an adjustment to accuracy while moving. This can be observed by taking out a shotgun, aiming, and watching what happens to the reticule when standing still and when moving. Coincidentally, shotguns are probably where this is best pumped up, since you need to get close to a target for them. SMGs may also benefit.

If you're only using pistol and taking it slow with criticals, you should probably focus on damage and accuracy. Recoil can be handy if you miss or don't kill the dude in one shot and need to pump half a clip downrange to take him out.

Fun fact: Using (Taipei spoiler) Omen Deng's shotgun with the appropriate mods and without any Tech Aptitude, I made a gun with only one round in it. Technically it had either 0 or -1 ammo capacity, but the game wouldn't allow that and locked it at single-shot until I got the +3 Ammo Capacity Tech Apt. skill, where it upgraded to a two-shot.

As for stealth and armor, the early Night Operations Armor is just fine for stealth. You can get away with your armor only having noise reduction of 3, although you will be sneaking up and taking out dudes just as their Awareness arrows turn yellow a lot. Once you get the Lurker perk, you can switch from stealth armor to utility suits if you like gadgets and upgrades.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Out of curiousity, with all this talk about turning Parker, I'm left wondering, is there a route through the game that would let me kill the cranky old bugger?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ChuckDHead posted:

Out of curiousity, with all this talk about turning Parker, I'm left wondering, is there a route through the game that would let me kill the cranky old bugger?

You mean aside from the default method of walking into the safe room and putting a bullet in his face? Not that I know of, although you can certainly get other people to do it for you.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Testimonial:

I've always wanted to try Alpha Protocol but money's pretty tight right now. Saw the new thread, noticed I only had about 90 minutes left to buy it for $5. The last time goons convinced me to do something like this was for a little game called Saint's Row 2.

Bought it and I'm currently installing. I have faith in you, Games :shobon:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

Testimonial:

I've always wanted to try Alpha Protocol but money's pretty tight right now. Saw the new thread, noticed I only had about 90 minutes left to buy it for $5. The last time goons convinced me to do something like this was for a little game called Saint's Row 2.

Bought it and I'm currently installing. I have faith in you, Games :shobon:

Jokes on you, I'm about to give away two more copies. At least I hope I am. My bankaccount and time is limited.

Edit: Hope you'll enjoy it though, either way.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm thinking about buying this because it seems right up my alley. My only questions are whether it's better/worse/the same on PC vs. PS3. Also, I have a pretty middlin PC, will it run it OK? I can run Shogun 2 on low settings fine as well as SC2 and other recent games, I just wouldn't want it to get it on PC and deal with terrible graphics or load times or anything if I could get the console version and avoid that.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I cannot think of a reason why the PC version would have worse graphics or loading times. Anyway, I haven't played the console version, but in my experience, loading times are quite snappy on the PC. And it's not a very power-hungry game.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I'm thinking about buying this because it seems right up my alley. My only questions are whether it's better/worse/the same on PC vs. PS3. Also, I have a pretty middlin PC, will it run it OK? I can run Shogun 2 on low settings fine as well as SC2 and other recent games, I just wouldn't want it to get it on PC and deal with terrible graphics or load times or anything if I could get the console version and avoid that.

I have no idea if it will run on your PC but it is worth playing. The load times for me are practically non-existant. This game isn't really about graphica anyway, more the story.

The PS3 version will do if you can get it as cheap as the Steam sale one.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

So I just realised that with my customisation, basically throughout the last game, Mike was essentially a secret agent version of webcomicker Kris Straub:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Does hacking....not work with the KB+M or something? I can't move the second password into place and just end up triggering the alarm.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Does hacking....not work with the KB+M or something? I can't move the second password into place and just end up triggering the alarm.

It does but it is so convoluted that you really need to play this with a 360 pad. I made the mistake of trying to play it with keyboard and mouse and failed
horribly.

e: or just buy EMP grenades to disable them anyway.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 5, 2011

• Locked thread