Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I just recently started to use Dolphin, and the improvement in image quality compared to the wii is amazing, but I have been having some performance issues with the latest release, and after reading this thread I decided to try to older fastest build, which is even more impressive. The only problem is that I would like to import my save from the newer build to the older build, but cant seem to find where they are stored.

*edit*
Whoops, answered on page 2 of this thread, awesome.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I notice some videos of Xenoblade in Dolphin that Gyoru put up, which got me curious in the first place - does it run pretty flawlessly?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rascyc posted:

I notice some videos of Xenoblade in Dolphin that Gyoru put up, which got me curious in the first place - does it run pretty flawlessly?

The video and audio are perfect on Dolphin 3.0. HLE audio might have a few stuttering issues here and there, but LLE audio is perfect.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Gyoru posted:

The video and audio are perfect on Dolphin 3.0. HLE audio might have a few stuttering issues here and there, but LLE audio is perfect.

I get crackling with HLE and stutters with HLE. The game runs at max FPS all the time, so it's kind of a downer.

edit: I'm an idiot, it was so obvious. No frame limit + limit by audio, now it's working great. Xenoblade is a pretty sweet game.

Zo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 14, 2011

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Are there any settings that need to be adjusted in Dolphin for running a PAL games? I have never imported from Europe before but aren't there games 50fps instead of the 60fps standard in America?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

Are there any settings that need to be adjusted in Dolphin for running a PAL games? I have never imported from Europe before but aren't there games 50fps instead of the 60fps standard in America?

The PAL60 format has caught on, but I'm not sure if with Wii games. Either way, as long as you have the frame limiter on auto detect, you're OK.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Hrmm, curious. I'm running super mario galaxy 2 at wonderful playable speeds (98-100 percent, with dips to 93), but I can't seem to hit the fabled constant 60 FPS :( despite the fact of my hardware being decent and everything being up to date.

I also have to run at 2X native (1280xwhatever) with no enhnacements to get this sort of speed, which seems... incorrect given everyone else's results.

Using release R7716M 64bit., CPU is i7-950 (stock clock, aftermarket cooling)12 gigs DDR3 triple channeled ram, Geforce 460 GTX 1GIG, and Asrock X58 Extreme 3 mobo. on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Anything I could be doing wrong?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Economy Clown Car posted:

Hrmm, curious. I'm running super mario galaxy 2 at wonderful playable speeds (98-100 percent, with dips to 93), but I can't seem to hit the fabled constant 60 FPS :( despite the fact of my hardware being decent and everything being up to date.

I also have to run at 2X native (1280xwhatever) with no enhnacements to get this sort of speed, which seems... incorrect given everyone else's results.

Using release R7716M 64bit., CPU is i7-950 (stock clock, aftermarket cooling)12 gigs DDR3 triple channeled ram, Geforce 460 GTX 1GIG, and Asrock X58 Extreme 3 mobo. on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.

And now you know why you don't overbuy your processor and RAM. (i5-2500k :pcgaming:)

Also: Overclock dude.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Economy Clown Car posted:

Have you tried the 6515 build? The newer builds sacrifice speed for compatibility.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And now you know why you don't overbuy your processor and RAM. (i5-2500k :pcgaming:)

Also: Overclock dude.

Sandy bridge wasn't 100 percent rolled out and was in the janky recalled first line of boards phase when I assembled my PC. So I figured I'd stick with what worked and worked over the top well at the time.

And hrm, I might have to overclock if the build change doesn't fix it up.

Edit: The latest version, r7716M works better for me than any varient of r6515 :psyduck: I just had to change the priority to real time for either to get a performance boost. It's working great now(95-100 percent with frameskip 1)

Economy Clown Car fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zo posted:

edit: I'm an idiot, it was so obvious. No frame limit + limit by audio, now it's working great. Xenoblade is a pretty sweet game.

Did you mean "limit by fps"? Because I don't see a limit by audio option. Either way, turning on limit by fps and setting no framerate limit got rid of the crackling in HLE, but I still run into stuttering audio in cutscenes. Sometimes it gets so bad that the whole cutscene gets an echo and it's really annoying.

edit: Oh, you must mean Audio Throttle. Yeah, that's on. Can't really use LLE because LLE constantly goes from 80-100% speed.

edit 2: I turned off lock threads to cores and it stopped happening, but I can't really say for sure that was the cause. Man, this is one really loving good looking game on Dolphin.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 17, 2011

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
For all you guys who are going to be playing Xenoblade, here is a patch that apparently fixes the staticy/choppy audio when using HLE. Haven't tested it yet, but I know my audio was garbage when I tried the game last night.

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356

Edit: Here you can find more recent versions of Dolphin with the patch already applied: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=2176

.Ataraxia. fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 17, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's the first hour of Xenoblade Chronicles running on Dolphin. It runs flawlessly while being able to FRAPS in 720p or 1080p. I'm using the same Dolphin revision (3.0 - r7617 Lectrode's optimized) and settings that I used for the Japanese version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-3qjZrUqjA&hd=1

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You're rocking LLE on the third thread I assume? I had a lot of problems with HLE and took a break from it myself. I'll try that particular build and see if it helps.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I've been trying to get Xenoblade running well in Dolphin and having a nightmarishly hard time. A bunch of the Lectrode optimized builds crash randomly, but the one you suggest - 7617 - seems to be alright. I've tried various configurations and arrived at two nearly-right choices:

HLE audio, audio throttle, no frame throttle: Game runs mostly smooth, occasional small dips below full framerate... but the game periodically pauses for as long as an entire second during combat. The pauses seem to be aligned with when the game is loading long voice samples or skill special effects from the game disc. I can't figure out why the hell that happens or how to fix it.

LLE audio on thread (recompiler), same as above: Game runs smooth but drops down to 70-80% speed during combat. The pauses from HLE seem like they're gone, though, confusingly enough.

Graphics settings don't seem to matter, except that XFB causes Dolphin to crash whenever I start a game, no matter the graphics plugin.

Do I just need a faster machine? I assumed mine would be good enough (i7 975 4-core @ 3.3ghz) but I suppose it's possible that since LLE is locked to one core, I just need a higher clock speed.

Are you playing it off the physical game disc? I'm playing off a rip right now, but I could imagine that a bug in Dolphin's code for ISOs could cause it to behave differently than a DVD and make the game's code for streaming textures/sounds freak out. If you're using the physical disc, I'll have to unbox my copy and see if playing off the disc makes a difference.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rascyc posted:

You're rocking LLE on the third thread I assume? I had a lot of problems with HLE and took a break from it myself. I'll try that particular build and see if it helps.

Yeah. The first video and part of the second video were recorded with HLE, but I switched back to LLE due to stuttering and audio distortion issues.

Kaelan Zero posted:

I've been trying to get Xenoblade running well in Dolphin and having a nightmarishly hard time. A bunch of the Lectrode optimized builds crash randomly, but the one you suggest - 7617 - seems to be alright. I've tried various configurations and arrived at two nearly-right choices:

HLE audio, audio throttle, no frame throttle: Game runs mostly smooth, occasional small dips below full framerate... but the game periodically pauses for as long as an entire second during combat. The pauses seem to be aligned with when the game is loading long voice samples or skill special effects from the game disc. I can't figure out why the hell that happens or how to fix it.

LLE audio on thread (recompiler), same as above: Game runs smooth but drops down to 70-80% speed during combat. The pauses from HLE seem like they're gone, though, confusingly enough.

Graphics settings don't seem to matter, except that XFB causes Dolphin to crash whenever I start a game, no matter the graphics plugin.

Do I just need a faster machine? I assumed mine would be good enough (i7 975 4-core @ 3.3ghz) but I suppose it's possible that since LLE is locked to one core, I just need a higher clock speed.

Are you playing it off the physical game disc? I'm playing off a rip right now, but I could imagine that a bug in Dolphin's code for ISOs could cause it to behave differently than a DVD and make the game's code for streaming textures/sounds freak out. If you're using the physical disc, I'll have to unbox my copy and see if playing off the disc makes a difference.
The LLE recompiler is much more processor intensive than HLE audio. My experience in both versions of Xenoblade is that the HLE audio is hit or miss. Sometimes it works wonderfully and sometimes it freaks the gently caress out and starts garbling voices even though you're running at full speed. LLE doesn't do any of that as long as you're running at 100% speed.

I'm on i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz (might OC it some more) for reference. I would suggest trying to get a higher clock speed if you want to use LLE. Here are my Dolphin 3.0 settings.

I'm playing off my hard drive. As a general rule, you should rip your disc on to a hard drive and play it from there because the (much) faster access times.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gyoru posted:

Here's the first hour of Xenoblade Chronicles running on Dolphin. It runs flawlessly while being able to FRAPS in 720p or 1080p. I'm using the same Dolphin revision (3.0 - r7617 Lectrode's optimized) and settings that I used for the Japanese version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-3qjZrUqjA&hd=1

I ran into a bug in the sepia toned flashback scene about 34 minutes in where everything on the screen was ghosted, but also enlarged so the ghosts took up the whole screen and it was kinda distracting. You didn't run into this? Wonder why that happened...

edit: I got my hit-or-miss garbling audio to stay consistently perfect in HLE by turning off Lock Threads to Cores but I'm not sure if that was the cause.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 19, 2011

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Gyoru posted:

Yeah. The first video and part of the second video were recorded with HLE, but I switched back to LLE due to stuttering and audio distortion issues.

The LLE recompiler is much more processor intensive than HLE audio. My experience in both versions of Xenoblade is that the HLE audio is hit or miss. Sometimes it works wonderfully and sometimes it freaks the gently caress out and starts garbling voices even though you're running at full speed. LLE doesn't do any of that as long as you're running at 100% speed.

I'm on i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz (might OC it some more) for reference. I would suggest trying to get a higher clock speed if you want to use LLE. Here are my Dolphin 3.0 settings.

I'm playing off my hard drive. As a general rule, you should rip your disc on to a hard drive and play it from there because the (much) faster access times.

I'd like to thank you for the build link and settings. I can run this without a hitch now and goddamn does it look so much better than on my Wii.

Edit:

.Ataraxia. fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 19, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Have they fixed the problem with the Mac (and other OGL) builds yet?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Dr. Video Games 0031, gonna give it that emu you referenced a shot, but does it have the audio patch applied? The way you're talking, it sounds like it's fine - but I'm curious.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Without any patching at all, Xenoblade works perfectly for me using the settings posted earlier at full speed at 2560*1440. What a beautiful game.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

RadicalR posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031, gonna give it that emu you referenced a shot, but does it have the audio patch applied? The way you're talking, it sounds like it's fine - but I'm curious.
The patch is only necessary for HLE, I think.

I tried overclocking my CPU up to 3.9ghz and LLE was near-perfect; unfortunately I'll need to improve my cooling setup before I can actually play at that speed for more than a few minutes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RadicalR posted:

I was using revision 7716M with no patches applied. Here's my config:

http://i.imgur.com/0sXyS.png
http://i.imgur.com/Wip2f.png
http://i.imgur.com/TrKuh.png
http://i.imgur.com/xjSsJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/e8GjZ.png

From all accounts, though, my experience deviates heavily from the norm. I really don't know why.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Are you getting the garbled save screen images due to the EFB? I'm just using the vanilla version of 3.0 with an 2500k processor and that's really the only problem I've seen so far.

vvv Right; Just wanted to see if Lectrode's version possibly fixed it.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 19, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Frunk posted:

Are you getting the garbled save screen images due to the EFB? I'm just using the vanilla version of 3.0 with an 2500k processor and that's really the only problem I've seen so far.
Yeah, but it's not an issue that affects gameplay though.

noface
Jun 19, 2002

Running a 2500k at 4.5GHz, but have been too lazy to softmod the Wii for the purpose of ripping the DSP ROM... does LLE make a big difference in some cases? For the most part, the game runs quite well but occasionally a cutscene will have the stuttering audio. Should I just man up and run through the steps to get the DSP ROMs?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh god they converted the repository from SVN to GIT and now I don't know how to keep track of everything. :pwn:

edit: It doesn't help that there's been three different branches with commits in the last 24 hours, "master", "develop", and "texcache-revert", the latter of which completely reverts the texture cache rewrite.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 20, 2011

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
So it turns out that a friend of mine got his copy drat quick (mine's not gonna be here for a while yet), so I got to play Xenoblade for the last few hours. Unfortunately, I did end up running into the HLE stutter bug, and LLE did not work very well on my system. I played through the first few hours with only the occasional stuttered up cutscene, and it wasn't too bad. But eventually I got to a more actiony section and every scene was stuttering all over the place.

So I came back here and looked at the different configs posted and saw that Dr Video Games had "Limit by FPS" checked on the first page of the config. I tried it out, and what do you know, no more stuttering! And that's even through the action heavy attack on Colony 9. Will the "Limit by FPS" bite me in the rear end later on, or is it OK to keep enabled?

Anyway, just in case anyone's trying to get this to work on a slightly older computer, here are my options. This is on an i5 2.66x4 with a Radeon 4890, and it runs pretty much perfect now. Though I can't use the fancy-pants graphics options (x3 internal res, AA, AF, etc...), just having it at x2 is still drat pretty.

http://i.imgur.com/eYBK7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FZ126.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XosvV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1ew44.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/b5KUC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x0LpO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BoK1Z.jpg

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Overclock that i5 to at least 3.2!!

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I'm not sure I can recommend playing this game in an emulator to anyone. I dropped $100 on a new high-end cooler for my machine + new thermal paste and fans and spent four hours tearing it apart and reassembling it to re-seat all the heatsinks/coolers, improve airflow, etc, and managed to get it stable above 4ghz - and LLE still runs like poo poo in combat once things get busy enough. HLE still stutters like mad, too, so that bug seems to have nothing to do with CPU power.

Plus, it turns out LLE has the same noise/static bug that HLE does, so you have to run using the (much slower) patched 68xx build if you don't like static. Bleh. :( Maybe the Limit by FPS suggestion Alkanos made will get rid of the stuttering...

Game's fun as hell, though, so maybe I'll pick up a Wii and mod it so I can play the game.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Unfortunately, the game looks like poo poo on the Wii. I haven't touched my wii (heh) since I got dolphin running.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was using revision 7716M with no patches applied. Here's my config:
Followed your config and now the game runs perfectly on my rig, except weirdly I had the stuttering audio problem too until I unchecked Limit by FPS. (i7-920 @ 3.4, Radeon 6970) Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kuddles posted:

Followed your config and now the game runs perfectly on my rig, except weirdly I had the stuttering audio problem too until I unchecked Limit by FPS. (i7-920 @ 3.4, Radeon 6970) Thanks!

:iiam:

I'm glad to help a little at least. With that sort of system, maybe you could use LLE audio without slowdown? Or maybe it's best that you don't change a thing now that you have everything just right.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

No, I get huge audio stuttering with LLE and the patch did nothing, and I feel like I've already spent too much time playing with settings rather than actually playing the game.

One Hand Clapping
Aug 21, 2011
I can't get Xenoblade to run decently at all. Though admittedly my CPU is a bit old. Here's my rig

Graphics: GTX 560
CPU: E8400 3gz dual
4 gigs of memory

Even in regular scenes I'm only getting around 17 frames a second. This is with low resolution and no anti-aliasing. I've tried every combination mentioned in this thread so far I think, to no avail.

Is this a normal performance for my system? I'm starting to think it's slower than its supposed to be.

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

One Hand Clapping posted:

CPU: E8400 3gz dual

Is this a normal performance for my system? I'm starting to think it's slower than its supposed to be.

Sounds about right for your cpu.

One Hand Clapping
Aug 21, 2011

Chompers posted:

Sounds about right for your cpu.

Well that's kind of a relief.

Guess I could overclock it to 3.6 or 4ghz. Supposedly these things overclock pretty nicely.

Is the emulator more CPU intensive than you typically find in gaming?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Most emulators tend to be that way. My video card is barely active compared to how hot my CPU is going when I run this thing.

One Hand Clapping
Aug 21, 2011

kuddles posted:

Most emulators tend to be that way. My video card is barely active compared to how hot my CPU is going when I run this thing.

That helps explain it then

So is Xenoblade more graphic intensive than most other Wii games? I'm reading when Dolphin first came out a E8400 was able to run most Wii games pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ugh, more than a few hours in now and the sound issues are cropping up again. Gonna try that patched version, see if it fixes it.

edit: Does anyone have a link to the patched version? The one provided earlier this page links to a forum post that links to another message board where I'm left to search and see that the latest build there (contrary to what his thread title says) is like r5500 something. His skydrive is out of date too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 21, 2011

• Locked thread