Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
I have to say, I love dolphin because it can force aspect ratio on any game. No longer do we have to play gamecube games in 4:3! Some games break in 16:9 or whatever you're running, but that's mostly 2D elements stretching or the camera going wonky. I run an eyefinity setup, so you can kind of get a glance at what happens when you start screwing with the aspect ratio:

Sonic Colors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wD0tpNeMc

Sonic Adventure DX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgqiiWr02-w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Has anyone gotten swing to work on a gamepad? There's a tutorial in the Dolphin forum but it's horribly outdated and doesn't work with the latest builds.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Quick question: What do you do on Dolphin, anyways?

Right now I'm working on TAS (tool assisted speedrun) tools for it, and I did some other small work in the past for hires texture support. I'm not knowledgeable enough about the GameCube/Wii internals to work on the actual emulator core itself, but I do hang around the dev chat and I've picked up enough information to help most users.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Toad King posted:

This isn't my area of expertise but I'll try to explain it to the best of my knowledge.

There is definitely a CPU bottleneck. In fact, the video card is almost completely insignificant in emulation. You can probably run the same game on a brand new Radeon 6990 or my old GeForce 8800 and get about the same speed.

The problem is Dolphin uses only two cores and will probably stay that way. In order for emulation to work, everything has to run in sync and if one part, like audio, slows down, everything else has to slow down with it. If we don't, emulation breaks very very easily. We can split some of the more isolated portions from each other, like the emulated CPU and the emulated GPU, but since lots of resources are shared (a big one being RAM) we can't just throw more processor threads at it.
Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like what I have is what I'll get, then... Well, at least playing all my old Gamecube games works really well :)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Toad King posted:

There is definitely a CPU bottleneck. In fact, the video card is almost completely insignificant in emulation. You can probably run the same game on a brand new Radeon 6990 or my old GeForce 8800 and get about the same speed.

It's like this with PCSX2 as well.

Looks like 4x internal resolution was just added and it still doesn't seem to impact performance for me. Graphics really aren't getting hit hard at all on dolphin.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I'm having trouble getting a really old Gravis usb controller to work. In fact, if it's plugged in then the emulator will actually crash when it tries to load a game or bring up the gamepad menu. But like I said it's pretty old, it might need newer drivers or 64 bit drivers or something.

But yes, this thing is amazing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Been playing REmake a lot today, such a great game for Dolphin. Rock solid frame rate, looks far superior to the console versions, all that jazz. Got a bunch of screenshots here that you're welcome to add to the OP if you like, Gyoru.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 9, 2011

Claude Almighty
Jul 1, 2007
oh my.
Little King's Story looks beaut, the PAL version I have is notoriously blurry but Dolphin cleans that right up. I've only had a few slowdown issues and its not even a top spec pc. Advice: If you do intend to play it and it's flickering just enable External Frame Buffer.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

cat doter posted:

Been playing REmake a lot today, such a great game for Dolphin. Rock solid frame rate, looks far superior to the console versions, all that jazz. Got a bunch of screenshots here that you're welcome to add to the OP if you like, Gyoru.

I'm playing REmake too, but I seem to crash whenever I get to the first Yawn fight. I get an error right as the cutscene starts. I've played around with the settings but can't seem find anything that makes a difference. It's a shame, as it was working perfectly up to this point. Using my PAL version I ripped myself if that makes a difference.

Astroduck fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 9, 2011

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Astroduck posted:

I'm playing REmake too, but I seem to crash whenever I get to the first Yawn fight. I get an error right as the cutscene starts. I've played around with the settings but can't seem find anything that makes a difference. It's a shame, as it was working perfectly up to this point. Using my PAL version I ripped myself if that makes a difference.

Refresh my memory, what the heck is a Yawn? If I come across the same thing then we should submit it as a bug. Are you using r7671? It's a really good revision. Otherwise you should be disabling any hacks and enabling stuff the increases compatability until you find something that works. You can even try using a different CPU emulation engine, you might be able to get past the crash using interpreter but your FPS will be horrendous (probably about 4fps) then you can make a save state and continue one with JIT.

I'm using the Archives Wii port which might make a very slight difference.

edit: argh now dolphin crashes every time I load my saved state. All that progress gone.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 9, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do you mean save state or normal saved game? I've found save states in Dolphin to be overall unreliable. There's too great of a chance that they will just simply crash, so I always use regular memory card saves.

Claude Almighty posted:

Little King's Story looks beaut, the PAL version I have is notoriously blurry but Dolphin cleans that right up. I've only had a few slowdown issues and its not even a top spec pc. Advice: If you do intend to play it and it's flickering just enable External Frame Buffer.

Yeah, much to my extreme joy, Little King's Story works more or less perfectly on Dolphin. That game is excellent. Zero motion control gimmicks, too, making it a good candidate for gamepad control.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 9, 2011

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Saved state. Saved games always work fine but the save system in REmake is kinda lame so I like using saved states. It's weird though, they were working fine all night, now it just crashes every time I select my saved state. :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Sonic Colors on Dolphin looks exactly like what 3D Sonic should look like. Exactly. Wow. Just wow.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Does the program require you to use an original wiimote?

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 9, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dodoman posted:

Does the program require you to use an original wiimote?

From the OP:

quote:

Can I use another input method like a mouse, keyboard, or gamepad?
  • You can emulate a Wiimote by using your mouse and keyboard. You can also use controllers like the Xbox 360's controller or PS3's Dualshock 3.

Basically, the mouse can emulate the IR pointer, which works really well in games like Mario Galaxy, where I can hold my 360 controller in my left hand and my mouse in my right. You can bind "shake" to a button, allowing you to waggle on command. You can also bind the accelerometer and gyroscope functions to various axis, so you can bind tilt or swing to a joystick.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's not really ideal, for games that rely primarily on motion gimmicks you're going to want to use a real wiimote. But for games that use them as secondary controls and minigames, like Kirby's Epic Yarn, controllers work just fine.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Games that have simple waggle commands thrown in like Donkey Kong Country Returns or Twilight Princess loving own with a controller that has shake bound to a button.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From the OP:

Basically, the mouse can emulate the IR pointer, which works really well in games like Mario Galaxy, where I can hold my 360 controller in my left hand and my mouse in my right. You can bind "shake" to a button, allowing you to waggle on command. You can also bind the accelerometer and gyroscope functions to various axis, so you can bind tilt or swing to a joystick.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's not really ideal, for games that rely primarily on motion gimmicks you're going to want to use a real wiimote. But for games that use them as secondary controls and minigames, like Kirby's Epic Yarn, controllers work just fine.

I have both of those, but I wanted to have the "real" experience while playing, especially with my partner. I guess I'll buy the real remotes then.

e; I might try my luck with one of(:gay: ) these.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 9, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dodoman posted:

I have both of those, but I wanted to have the "real" experience while playing, especially with my partner. I guess I'll buy the real remotes then.

Before you start spending money on this, I'd at least try the emulator first to see if it can play the games you want to play satisfactorily.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I think I should be able to. PCSX2 runs past full speed, except for audio which I cannot seem to fix.

i7 930, GTX570, 6GB RAM etc...

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 10, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

How do custom textures work? I've dumped textures out of the game but I can't figure out how to use them as replacements. I assume that it's an issue of filenames and maybe sub-directories within the game id folder. Is there a way to determine that information in the emulator?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How does one get a Wii remote working on the PC for Dolphin? Is it just a bluetooth device so any receiver will work? What about the sensor bar?

(edit) Also has anyone tried running Metroid Prime 3 on this thing? I've got a metroid itch rollin

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Is there a way to fix the music cutting out in Mario Galaxy 2?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

canoshiz posted:

You have to use the LLE sound emulation.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

canoshiz posted:

You have to use the LLE sound engine, which is slower but a lot more accurate.

edit: curse your oily hide Dr. Video Games!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So Toad King, we can thank you for some of the first tool assisted speedruns of current-generation console games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAD8yp_qTL4

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Dodoman posted:

I did this, and even got one of the slightly more expensive ones (because you know, quality lol) and it works perfectly except for one key element: the IR pointer. It flips out completely won't work at all, just jumps all over the screen. Even tried a new IR bar / candle bar, but it looks like the IR receiver just sucks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ledneh posted:

How does one get a Wii remote working on the PC for Dolphin? Is it just a bluetooth device so any receiver will work? What about the sensor bar?

From the OP:

Gyoru posted:

How do I use a real Wiimote with Dolphin?
  • You need to have the following:
    • A Wiimote
    • A wired/wireless Wii Sensor Bar or homemade equivalent like 2 lit candles
    • A Bluetooth connection on your PC that's either onboard or through a dongle
  • Follow one of the connection guides here.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Murodese posted:

I did this, and even got one of the slightly more expensive ones (because you know, quality lol) and it works perfectly except for one key element: the IR pointer. It flips out completely won't work at all, just jumps all over the screen. Even tried a new IR bar / candle bar, but it looks like the IR receiver just sucks.

So no matter which sensor bar I get, it'll still be jumpy? Might be annoying in the short and long run.
Oh god decisions :smithicide:.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Do you already have a Wii? Would probably be better to just keep using that instead of dolphin, multiplayer might be a bit awkward and dolphin likes to crash when you least expect it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This looks really pretty and I'm so happy that it works out of the box. Has anyone tried using a Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 with this thing? I've easily configured it for SNES games, but I'm having trouble with getting the analog sticks detected for the emulated nunchuck.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Argue posted:

This looks really pretty and I'm so happy that it works out of the box. Has anyone tried using a Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 with this thing? I've easily configured it for SNES games, but I'm having trouble with getting the analog sticks detected for the emulated nunchuck.

If you're using a Sixaxis you should probably just configure it for a Classic Controller Pro instead of trying to emulate a Wiimote with it (assuming the game you are trying to play supports it).

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Can anyone recommend a PC DVD drive that can read GC and Wii discs or is soft modding my Wii and making an iso copy on a flash drive less complicated than my searching suggests?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've been using the 6515, and it's fast, but not fast enough for my system to play Wii games at full speed. The new Dolphin 3.0 builds have the options to run the LLE audio plugin in a separate thread. Is there any way to yank that newer audio plugin out and use it in build 6515?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I know for the longest time NSMB had a glitch I could never get around concerning the coin animations (there are none) and the conveyer belts not being animated. Otherwise the game looks balls gorgeous in super-high res, and the controls are so much tighter with a 360 controller to boot.

Did they ever fix the graphics anomalies in this game in Dolphin?

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

cat doter posted:

Refresh my memory, what the heck is a Yawn? If I come across the same thing then we should submit it as a bug. Are you using r7671? It's a really good revision. Otherwise you should be disabling any hacks and enabling stuff the increases compatability until you find something that works. You can even try using a different CPU emulation engine, you might be able to get past the crash using interpreter but your FPS will be horrendous (probably about 4fps) then you can make a save state and continue one with JIT.

I'm using the Archives Wii port which might make a very slight difference.

edit: argh now dolphin crashes every time I load my saved state. All that progress gone.

Yawn is the Giant Snake. I'm using the latest stable revision, but I've tried every possible combination of options and I still get a crash. :(

Tried a different build (r7668 64bit) and still get a crash. Maybe It's my rip.

Astroduck fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 10, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've been using the 6515, and it's fast, but not fast enough for my system to play Wii games at full speed. The new Dolphin 3.0 builds have the options to run the LLE audio plugin in a separate thread. Is there any way to yank that newer audio plugin out and use it in build 6515?

Not that I know of, unless you want to get really drat messy with the emulator's code. They've since abandoned the plugin architecture. (No one was actually making plugins, so why not make it all internal?)

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So the emulator sees my 360 controller and when I test rumble, it works. I can also re-map keys and it is seeing it. But when I get into the game proper, nothing works. It goes back to keyboard.

Anyone?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The music constantly crackles in The Wind Waker. I've tried dolphin 2.0, r6515, and r7661, fiddled with every available audio option to me but to no avail. The game will quite happily run at full speed with no issues but the crackling and popping in the BGM is driving me nuts. Tried 2 different ISOs as well, PAL and NTSC.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's an utter shame Rouge Leader doesn't work, that game just screams for HD love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Popehoist posted:

The music constantly crackles in The Wind Waker. I've tried dolphin 2.0, r6515, and r7661, fiddled with every available audio option to me but to no avail. The game will quite happily run at full speed with no issues but the crackling and popping in the BGM is driving me nuts. Tried 2 different ISOs as well, PAL and NTSC.

Try different sound engines. HLE can be less accurate and sometimes has issues emulating sound. LLE is more accurate but quite a bit slower. Each of these engines have audio backends too, like Xaudio2 and Directsound. Try each of these combinations.

Also, sometimes you'll get popping and skipping from LLE if you aren't running completely at full speed. Even 1% or 2% slower that full speed will cause skipping.

• Locked thread