Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Economy Clown Car posted:

Hrmm, curious. I'm running super mario galaxy 2 at wonderful playable speeds (98-100 percent, with dips to 93), but I can't seem to hit the fabled constant 60 FPS despite the fact of my hardware being decent and everything being up to date.

I also have to run at 2X native (1280xwhatever) with no enhnacements to get this sort of speed, which seems... incorrect given everyone else's results.

Using release R7716M 64bit., CPU is i7-950 (stock clock, aftermarket cooling)12 gigs DDR3 triple channeled ram, Geforce 460 GTX 1GIG, and Asrock X58 Extreme 3 mobo. on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Anything I could be doing wrong?

And now you know why you don't overbuy your processor and RAM. (i5-2500k )

Also: Overclock dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

Hi Guys, I have a wii but there are a few games I can't get in the US and/or don't want to spend the money on. Dolphin seems like a great option. But before I go and spend the money on the parts I would need for it to work,(Bluetooth dongle, wireless sensor bar, etc.) I wanted to see if my computer specs are up to snuff.

Processor- Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz
Ram- 9Gb
Videocard- Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

The OP said you needed a 3+GHz processor. Is that set in stone?

That's fine, you can rip any region's discs with CleanRip. But you'll still have to pay for them.

And yeah, 3GHz is kind of a hard floor, but you should be able to overclock that thing to a pretty good extent.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dominic White posted:

You'd think that running at 480p (which exists outside both PAL and NTSC spectrums) would avoid this, but... well, guess Nintendo wanted to fire off one last lovely PAL conversion at europe to send off the Wii, eh?

So, if I applied this to my copy on my actual Wii (2.1ghz dual-core stops me from even dreaming of emulation at the moment), it'll run smoother?

That's only needed for emulation. To Nintendo's credit, the Gamecube (and by extension the Wii) for the most part handles odd resolutions and timings gracefully, whereas other consoles never really did (and even the PC loses the chase more than you'd think).

If anything, Dolphin is too STRICT about obeying timings. Hence the patch.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Transfer the saves to your SD card, then stick your sd card in your computer and direct dolphin to the bin file from the "wii save import"

That's the opposite of what he wants to do.

If you right-click on the game in Dolphin's main window, and select "Export Wii save (experimental)", you'll get a new 'private' directory in Dolphin's root*. Put in root of SD card, put SD card in Wii, copy save onto Wii in Data Management.

If that doesn't work, use Savegame Manager (or SMGX), and you may get away with the raw saves Dolphin uses.

*Or wherever you set its "start in" directory, if you used a shortcut and it's not in there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Seemenaked posted:

I decided today that I'd give this a go, and holy poo poo it looks amazing! Plus I've been itching to play XenoBlade. Anyways the problem I am having atm is I have no idea how to configure my 360 controller, or to get dolphin to recognize it as an input device.

Options > Wiimote Settings > Wiimote 1: Emulated Wiimote: Configure > Device: Xinput:#:Gamepad > Extension: Classic: Configure > Put in your bindings (feel free to ignore the HOME binding).

So long as it's plugged in, Microsoft can connect it to the system, and Dolphin knows how to turn it into a controller.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been considering getting Xenoblade but I'm unsure if my computer can handle Dolphin. I have a Q9450 2.6 ghz Core 2 Quad Processor and I'm not sure if that's enough to actually run it smoothly or not.

You'll probably have to overclock but it should be doable.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

half the thread posted:

I just found out about something that was widely known about five years ago and I AM OUTRAGED

We get it, Microsoft made a horrific design decision, and you're upset that it's on you to work around it.

Take that up with Microsoft and stop making GBS threads up the thread.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also consider setting the Wii's NAND to a different directory. Like somewhere in My Documents. (You'll probably have to move it there manually before Dolphin will recognize.)

Then version folders don't matter and it gets swept up in the backup without trying.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

GloomMouse posted:

I'm setting up Dolphin in preparation for Xenoblade, but how can I get my PS3 six-axis to work with it?

Motioninjoy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

gmq posted:

I have an Athlon X2 4400+ (2.30Ghz). I have no chance in hell of running this, right?

You might be able to run the Wii menu, that's about it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say shaders and resolution. Nintendo doesn't plan for people emulating their games in HD.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Are there any homebrew alternatives to CleanRip? I don't have a flash drive large enough to rip Xenoblade, and the option to split up the file and swap out drives doesn't seem to be doing what it's intended to do.

A flash drive or SD card large enough to rip Xenoblade (technically just dual-layer size, but no 8GB flash thingy actually has 7.91 GB usable, so you'll need 16GB) starts around 12 bucks. And it has many many practical uses besides, even over an 8GB drive.

(Also if you have a phone with a 16GB card or bigger in it and an SD or USB adapter (or just more than 8GB free internally and a Mass Storage mode) see if that doesn't work.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2012 around 09:15

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I get this, but I was kinda looking for different software, not different hardware.

The only other software is PC ripping software, and that's in the 'hope you got lucky when picking out PC DVD drives and got one that can read the Wii discs' weird track method' category.

Which is also basically hardware. So, uh, nope.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Xenoblade is DVD9 (dual layer). See what rawdump's documentation has to say about that. (Also why would softmodding your Wii be so terrible?)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That loving Sned posted:

Is there a way to change the name of each game in the emulator? I have several New Super Mario Bros Wii hacks, which are indistinguishable because they use the same header.

There's some stuff on other forums, but the only easy tool I saw was hosted on Megaupload vv

Short version: Hex-edit the banner.bin for each hack's save file (backup first) and then clear its cache ([wherever Dolphin is]\User\Cache\[whatever file starts with the name of your game image]). It should show the new name then, unless Things Have Changed in the ten months since this was brought up. (Also I don't know if the banner.bin wouldn't be rewritten with new saves.)

Save files are in [wherever your emulated NAND is]\title\00010000\[gamecode]\data\, where [gamecode] is the base-16 for the game's title code (so - just as an example - Xenoblade (US) is SX4E, so its folder would be 53583445).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at May 11, 2012 around 10:59

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

theblackw0lf posted:

So Dolphin is running great for the most part, but the colors seem a bit muted for some reason. Not sure as usually the colors on my computer are very vibrant, but here its muted.

Maybe the gamma or brightness is too high? But I'm not sure how to change that (besides changing the gamma inside the actual game, but that didn't seem to help much).

Without at least a screencap we have no way to determine this. Also some games are just like that. Hell, the Wii in general is like that: signal levels are restricted to the 16~235 range (this is not entirely true, but accurate enough for the purpose). There's only so vibrant a game intended for SD/480p TV can be.

Other than that: Dolphin doesn't appear to have internal color control, and it's not dependent on the Nintendo firmware.

Do two things and see if it doesn't look right:
1) Set your computer's color settings back to default. Uninstall any color profiles, and reset all the color settings in your video driver. If you don't have color settings in your video driver, you need to replace your video driver. Go to intel, AMD or nVidia (whichever one made your chip) and get the most recent one.
2) Reset your monitor (if you have to manually set scaling on your monitor, put that right immediately after the reset), and then configure your monitor with the lagom.nl LCD test as a reference (if you haven't configured or calibrated it already).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2012 around 09:10

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dolphin's probably just not optimized for The Last Story yet. There was a time when Xenoblade couldn't be emulated at full speed and reliably for love or money and look how that turned out.

... actually maybe not the best example, if you have to go to file dumps to get one of the two versions that work, but the point's been made.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Aug 4, 2012 around 18:28

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Daric posted:

I know Dolphin is for Wii/Gamecube but what do y'all recommend for emulating Playstation 1 and 2 (and maybe 3, I don't really know how they work)?

pSX is also an option for PS1, and is probably more accurate than ePSXe, although it got abandoned (and ePSXe got unabandoned).

PS3 doesn't have emulator options and it's not likely to anytime in the next... I won't say ever*, but it might take a people generation like the Super NES did. I'm also not going to say "just buy a PS3 raaaaargh" (although it has the first-parties and other exclusives to justify it). Steam has just about anything worth playing on the PS3 that isn't PS3-exclusive, though.

If you're wondering, PSP emulation is a casualty of the toxic PSP scene - no word on if it's a fatality of it yet - and Vita is way the hell to early to be asking about.

*It's a distinct possibility, though, depending on 'the world situation' and how well chip foundries can scale things down or if a viable substitute to electronics ever presents itself.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

For your texture thing: Go to Graphics > Hacks and check your External Frame Buffer settings. For example, I have the buffer set to Virtual and the Copies set to RAM and that happens occasionally.

Getting those less accurate should give you more HD in more places (unless you disable EFB Copies, which will ruin everything), but it'll also make the little screenshots on your saves a garbled mess (if you care about that).

As for saves, try Tools > Wii Save Import. And if you ever want to put it back, right-click on the game and choose Export.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

flatluigi posted:

Looks like they just pushed a pretty significant change: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/0...ssing-problems/

If you haven't been keeping up with the Dolphin blog, by the way, it's a really great read.

Xenoblade's sound effects (at least, its UI effects) last worked in 3.5-556 and in 4.0 it crashes when you try to load an actual gamespace.

Has anyone reported that yet? It seems like an issue.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Requires the user to disable driver signature enforcement, which can't be done permanently past Windows 7 and leads to OS harassment and occasionally stuff like blocking movie playback. Also after some of the weird things that got into drivers for other console gamepads (for example, gently caress MotionInJoy) it seems like a bad security move even if you like living dangerously.

That's not an absolute deal-breaker, but it does make that something the thread can't recommend, regardless of how purely functionally successful it appears to be.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ish?

Trigger Warning: Mayflash

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ryoshi posted:

Thanks for the link! Sorry if this is super obvious, only scanned the page for a second (on my phone at the moment) - is this specifically for Bluetooth connections or will it work for USB as well?

It will work for USBs as well. USB is comparatively easy compared to Bluetooth. This also holds for USB-to-Classic-Controller adapters and DualShock 4s with DS4Windows.com for Xinput support.

And even Bluetooth is pretty okay unless it's Wiimotes, in which case gently caress it get the Mayflash sensor bar.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

site posted:

You can also try Better DS3. Works for BT and USB (which is how I used to use it).

Uses the Motion in Joy backend, but without going online.

Without obviously going online.

The MotionInJoy driver comes from the same people who thought system privileges for a control panel with Internet ads was a good idea. Because of how it's built, this means whatever cryptoware/evidence planters/password skimmers/other garbage is in Internet ads these days (because not even Google does due diligence screening ad submissions before circulating them) ALSO gets system privileges. The implications are obvious and staggering, and I shouldn't have to explain why the driver would be suspect even if you never pulled the front-end off the host that the driver came from.

They can go gently caress themselves and you should be ashamed of yourself for giving them the time of day.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2015 around 19:22

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

site posted:

You are right and I should say my gaming computer isn't hooked up to the net so I didn't have to worry about it (although I would like to know if there is actually anything confirmed going on in the background when using BetterDS3 and not just your guy's not unfounded paranoia).

1) How does having a game computer not on the Internet even work anymore?

2) I wonder if you realize how abnormal having a home Windows machine be not on the Internet is these days. It kind of puts a damper in how fit you are to recommend things to people.

Are you going to recommend they pull their computers off the Internet next?

3) It doesn't matter if there's a confirmed security risk in software if you already know the people who wrote it deal in poor faith (and if the MotionInJoy front-end isn't poor faith, nothing is). MotionInJoy's authors have unapologetically dealt in hazardous software before, therefore all of their software is presumed hazardous. The onus is now on you to prove the driver without the front-end is safe - or to admit your error and take back your recommendation.

And BetterDS3 is useless without MotionInJoy's driver, so it gets to be tarred with the same brush as MotionInJoy's authors. BetterDS3's authors are in the clear, but that only applies to software they write that isn't dependent on other people's dodgy software to work.

quote:

Don't get so bent outta shape over it dude.

Because you recommending a driver with rootkits, regardless of any alleged mitigation strategy, deserves a pass (or even a gentle 'are you sure that's wise') for ... any reason ever?

Scarlet.Crush completely and uniformly superseded it, has a clean track record, and is very well known among people who play PC games with PS3 controllers and actually use the Internet. So when you suggest someone use a backdoor because you can slap a board over it, you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Jun 6, 2015 around 10:04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Hey all, in a bit of a bind here. Was on the xenoblade chronicles emulation train 4 years back, Switched to a new computer, copied everything to a new hard drive, 32x to 64x. I am just now getting back to it, got the game working with a 64x build of dolphin but unfortunately my save states are not working. I have tried a few different builds of dolphin from 4.0, 3.5, and 3.0 but it just keeps crashing. Any ideas? For example if I were to throw one of my save states up, any chance someone could grab it and save the game to an emulated save or any such wizardry?

If you still have the old build (or at least remember what it was; if it was a sound hack you might have to be specific about it), dig it up, save to an actual save file, then upgrade to ... probably the current nightlies.

If the build properties are written plain in the save state, this will help. I don't use save states in Dolphin so I wouldn't know.

Also you and anyone else this hits close to home should take notice that save states are a temporary save format for this very reason and almost always have been.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2016 around 05:49

• Locked thread