Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The way I got Xenoblade to work smoothly was by finding a build specifically for Xenoblade. I don't have a link or anything but hopefully knowing the existence of such a thing can steer you in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Getting a 404 on that link so I don't know.

For the record, I'm using an Nvidia 9800gt and my processor is a triple core AMD Phenom II X3 715 Processor at 3.08 GHz. I was able to run Xenoblade at very acceptable frames using a specialized build.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BrightWing posted:

Oh effing. I just used that. Lemme dig up another.

E: There, this one should be good.

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356&pid=203812#pid203812

I have a few random builds downloaded from when I was experimenting, so I can't be 100% sure, but I am nearly positive that's what you need. Compare your specs to mine a few posts up, it's my understanding that these emulators wouldn't even use my third core.

edit: Actually I'm gonna not half-rear end this and figure it out for you. Give me a few minutes.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ok I managed to track down exactly what I was using, it's in this post here:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=20829&pid=195140#pid195140

Sorry for jerking you around, I should have just taken the time to find that in the first place. I'm using the 64 bit version if it matters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FairGame posted:

Hey, I just installed Dolphin using the link above, but Xenoblade is at my new house (i'm moving this week and won't have Internet; Xenoblade is how I plan to pass the time).

Just so I'm clear: the version I downloaded is already configured to play Xenoblade out-of-the-box? I don't need to do anything?

Pretty sure it's configured already specifically for Xenoblade. It's been a really long time since I messed with it though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tried out the latest revision and it seems that Twin Snakes might actually be playable now! Only downside is I don't have a save file so I can't play Extreme.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blast of Confetti posted:

What's all this about a special build just for Xenoblade? All the links a few pages back are 404's now that they moved domains.

Here you go buddy: http://www.mediafire.com/?hpwyyf2y20keysk

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megalixir posted:

I can't check right now, but is this dolphin-x64-icc-sse41-xbpatch31 or something entirely different?

It's called: "Dolphin 3.0-377-g04a7e33-build by vlakipn". Back when I was trying to play Xenoblade on my aging computer I scoured the internet looking for ways to make it run well because for some reason this is a thing I do. I couldn't give you the details as the original source of the build seems to have vanished, but some guy on a forum somewhere did some programming wizardry and made a build of Dolphin for x64 OSes that addressed specifically all the problems for Xenoblade and nothing else. All I know is that it worked for me.

Keep in mind this build is really old by now, compiled on Jan 28 2010. There's a good chance the actual Dolphin emulator has progressed past it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 12, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is there a way to make games look better besides changing the resolution? Xenoblade still looks like an early PS2 game.

Well, people are working on a HD retexture.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm also curious as to how playable Goldeneye is now. I've always wanted to check that game out but not enough to get a Wii. I tried it once ages ago and it ran in slow motion.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, the 3DS emulator Citra is going through seemingly daily milestones. The latest of which is an experimental, barebones OpenGL renderer that can run Ocarina of Time 3D at a playable framerate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8sPsB5qXQ

Perhaps this is a silly question, but other than to say that you can, what reason would have for playing Ocarina of Time 3D on a 3DS emulator vs emulating the N64 version?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dunno, I've played Star Fox 64 on an N64 emulator. I've played hi-res versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as well. I've played Goldeneye on it. What else do I need it to do?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
drat it you're right.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ironically one of my favorite implementions of motion controls is on Metroid: Other M. Very clean, very simple, very functional. Shame about the rest of the game though. The whole time I was thinking "at least the controls are really good"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You play with the Wiimote in the default position, and if you ever want to go into First Person mode you just point the Wiimote at the screen and it does it seamlessly. I thought it was really slick. Also the whole game only required a handful of buttons, I appreciated the efficiency of it all. What I didn't appreciate was a ten minute cutscene about the significance of that time Samus thumbs-downed a song on Pandora Radio.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, I mean, sure, anyone can just cheat to get 100%. You may have gotten your revenge on the game, but the game knows the truth. The game knows about that little voice in the back of your mind that says "Well I didn't really beat it..." It was the game that put it there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Geemer posted:

You are the reason mainstream games nowadays range from baby-easy to easy. It's you.

But you're right, the game being difficult on settings called "hard" and "very hard" is probably why Mario Kart 8's DLC is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new F-Zero.

There's a game coming out on PC that is a lot like F Zero, but I can't remember the name of it. There's also Distance which shares a few similarities but isn't really the same.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Don't make fun of people y'all. :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Until it can play Pokemon Snap, it is a failure.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All Nintendo based emulation will be for naught as long as Pokemon Snap remains the White Whale.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Truly, this is a glorious day.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't have an answer to that question, but I do know there HD texture patches for the N64 versions of those games... But I'm guessing you're looking for Master Quest.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I googled a few things since I've never heard of Vulkan before, but I'm still not sure what the significance is of this announcement. Can someone sum it up for us normies?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe a dumb question but you're doing it here right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

site posted:

Has anyone managed to rip the assets from perfect dark hd to use on emu

Cuz i would like that

No but there's a special setup to play both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with mouselook and 60fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSEILSqqFas

I tried to give Timesplitters 2 a go, but the aiming in that game is absolutely terrible.

• Locked thread