Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh man those ToS screenshots make me regret selling my 360 copy a couple years back. I might have to track a used copy down to play with save states. That game was perfect to just throw on for 15 mins and get a new costume, grind some grade, or go dick around in the arena.

And nice OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of Path of Radiance, whenever I set anisotropic filtering to anything higher than 1X I get red boxes around the character eyes/mouth during cutscenes. Is there a fix or hack I can select or am I stuck with that? Using the 7669 64-bit build.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a proper way to save state? I'm having a lot of problems with games freezing when I try to load a saved state after closing the window/the emulator. I usually have to close/re-open Dolphin half a dozen times until it magically loads. I'm used to being able to use save states instead of having to actually save in-game, is this not the case with Dolphin or is this just a general stability issue?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's legal as long as you own the discs, same thing with PS2 emulation, since you can rip the discs and use the .iso files. It's pretty nice to have your entire game collection saved on your computer. The illegal part comes in if you actually obtain the games or image files illegally, but just owning the emulator and playing your own games on it is perfectly fine. The 1up article talks about this a little bit:

quote:

Despite three years of active development as an open source project, Rydgård told me Nintendo has never contacted the group with legal threats or demands. Dolphin actually skirts the legal issues that concern most emulators--while it's entirely legal to dump your own ROM images and system BIOS files, obtaining those files online enters shady territory. Rydgård explains:

"Unlike the UltraHLE guys (of N64 emulation fame), we've never heard from Nintendo at all. . . .The emulator itself is legal: as long as you rip games that you buy and play them with Dolphin there's nothing that's even questionable going on. Dolphin does not require the use of a BIOS file due to the 'OS' on Nintendo systems being built into each and every game."

Thanks to the Internet connectivity and optical media of modern consoles, legally backing up games is far easier now than it used to be. The Wii hosts a thriving modder scene thanks to the Homebrew Channel, which is great for Dolphin: anyone with enough patience to read a walkthrough can now dump their own GameCube and Wii games to a harddrive and easily transfer them to a PC. That's when the fun starts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ledneh posted:

How does one get a Wii remote working on the PC for Dolphin? Is it just a bluetooth device so any receiver will work? What about the sensor bar?

From the OP:

Gyoru posted:

How do I use a real Wiimote with Dolphin?
  • You need to have the following:
    • A Wiimote
    • A wired/wireless Wii Sensor Bar or homemade equivalent like 2 lit candles
    • A Bluetooth connection on your PC that's either onboard or through a dongle
  • Follow one of the connection guides here.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's a wireless controller with a rechargeable battery pack that you recharge by plugging in the cord, what exactly is so retarded about that? It's not like they don't sell wired 360 controllers... I've heard some dumb complaints about the 360 before but "My controller is being detected wirelessly instead of this cable that I have plugged in!" and "My controller needs a $10 accessory to work on something it wasn't designed for! :argh:" are at the top of the list.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah but who loving cares how it's communicating? It's not like you HAVE to have the controller plugged in at all times. It's a wireless controller. It communicates wirelessly. When your battery gets low and you need to recharge it you plug in the cord. I don't understand how that's apparently such a ridiculous idea that he literally doesn't "know where to begin" when complaining about it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I've been using a cheap 360 wired controller that I got from Gamestop like two years ago for 15 bucks and have had 0 problems on both Dolphin and PCSX2.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Note to self: quit relying on save states. Just lost like an hour and a half worthy of exploring time in Xenoblade because the game crapped out right after I quicksaved. I think save state instability is like the only problem I have left in Dolphin, but that's partly my fault for wanting to save before/after every little event.

e: Forgot to actually ask, are there any settings that can help with the game crashing particularly when state saving/loading? Game seems to run ok so I can spare some performance if it'll mean a more stable experience.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2011

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Where's the memory card stored for Wii games? I want to transfer a couple of saves from one version of Dolphin to another.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gyoru posted:

<Dolphin>\User\Wii\title\00010000\

Each folder is a different game.
Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure because one version of Dolphin had like a dozen folders in there from the random games that I tried once and never played again.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also consider setting the Wii's NAND to a different directory. Like somewhere in My Documents. (You'll probably have to move it there manually before Dolphin will recognize.)

Then version folders don't matter and it gets swept up in the backup without trying.
Good idea, thanks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tried the SSE3 version as well on my overclocked C2D E8400 and it's a lot more stable than the version I was using before. Played for a solid two hours last night without a lockup, at 4X native, 16X anisotropic.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I have an e8400 that's at 3.8GHz and rarely have any problems anymore using FilthyMonkey's SSE3 build with the audio patch that he posted on the last page.

e; Using HLE, LLE gives me a bit of a slowdown.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can "fix" the save image corrupting by changed EFB Copies or whatever that one setting is to Ram instead of Textures, but it's a pretty severe performance hit just to have the right picture show up when you save.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Meant to comment on this a couple of days ago, but I seriously can't find a stable Xenoblade build to save my life. The weirdest part is that I just recently went back and started the game over after playing for something like 30 hours a long time ago. Except for some magical reason the Dolphin build I used with very, very rare problems on my first playthrough freezes every 10-15 minutes. Same with the most recent builds, and like half a dozen other builds I tried including the ones posted in that link above. Is there any setting that I should try messing around with? I feel like it doesn't make sense that I suddenly can't find a stable build after playing it for so long on like a year and a half-old version of Dolphin.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of PoR, there's no way to have the save data carry over and be recognized by Radiant Dawn right? I started playing RD recently without realizing that PoR was a prequel and then saw the thing about transferring a clear data save over.

If someone doesn't know what I'm talking about, I'm basically wondering if there's a way to get a Gamecube save over to the Wii memory card so that a Wii game can recognize that the save data is there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dolphin 4.0 is out, haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Last Story's a little bit worse performance-wise for me, but only by a few fps. There are, however, some weird graphical glitches in some menus now though.

Also are there any major performance/compatibility differences in the audio backends?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cake Attack posted:

Some games don't really work on Dolphin, no matter what you try. Like The Last Story, for instance.

The Last Story worked ok for the dozen or so hours I played of it. It was pretty demanding iirc but it wasn't anywhere near unplayable.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I remember when I originally tried playing it some years ago that the framerate was unplayably low anywhere that wasn't an empty corner of a cave (I think I'd get like ~10 fps in the city) but some version/update came out that made it play better I think (I wanna say 3.5 or somewhere around there). There are still some weird graphical glitches with lightning and incorrect depth-of-field blur, but they didn't really seem to get in the way and could usually be fixed by quicksaving/loading. It might still require a pretty decent cpu to run well, but it's rated 4 out of 5 stars on Dolphin's compatibility list so I don't think there are any serious problems.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 23, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Little late on this, but the 30fps patch can be found here: http://www.2shared.com/file/KPGFPick/60VPS_Patch_kAs1m_.html

Got the link from the Xenoblade page on Dolphin's wiki, which actually has a page for most of the popular games and is pretty great for finding stuff like fixes for glitches or optimal settings.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
New post about a ton of awesome improvements that they've recently made on Dolphin: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/

quote:

This month, the story can't be anything else but CPU optimizations and fixes, after Fiora decided that if the code is in the JIT, she will make it faster. Nothing is safe from her. Since the end of July, Dolphin's JIT CPU core has seen a 26% performance boost in the Dolphin Benchmark. That is not a typo.

quote:

Savestates used to take roughly 570ms to make. At over half a second it is definitely noticeable, but not a big deal for most users. comex decided that it wasn't good enough and optimized the PointerWrap function, which is used for writing savestates. The result is that savestates now take a little over one frame (17ms) to save, with absolutely no drawbacks.

And a bunch of other technical graphic and audio fixes to some specific issues. Kind of nuts how much progress they're making every couple of months.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
God drat :stare:

Xenoblade runs alright on my machine already but ~40% faster The Last Story sounds fantastic. Potentially being able to run that game at more than native resolution without having massive slowdowns in fights sounds pretty awesome.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't understand any of the really technical stuff (apart from getting the general idea of it) but I love their old vs new videos. Really cool to see how far Dolphin's progressed and see the kinds of things they're knocking out with seemingly every big monthly update.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-hd-retexture-xenoblade-chronicles-hd-texture-pack-v5-6u-october-18-2014

Right under the main download section under Add-Ons. Has options for Wiimote, 360, Playstation, and Wii Classic.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Isn't that because Nintendo found out and threatened to sue the big/popular emulators a long rear end time ago? Or is that some ancient internet rumor that isn't actually true and people just got bored of working on those?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

flatluigi posted:

What's the last playable build? I grabbed one of the completely up-to-date ones the other day and I can't actually use it to play anything and I don't want to go all the way back to 4.0.2.

edit: never mind, found the issue - for some reason my frame limit got set to 5 fps instead of auto

For future reference, the Dolphin Wiki is pretty great and lets you look up the more popular games to see if they have specific issues or if they stopped being compatible with some recent build.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Dolphin isn't a modern video game, your video card isn't the thing doing most of the work or holding performance back. Besides the stuff Hace is asking, what graphics settings are you using? Are you trying to run the game at 4x resolution with everything turned up/on? Are the slowdowns you're talking about occasional or is the whole game running at single-digit FPS? Have you tried just running it at native resolution with no bells and whistles?

Xenoblade is one of the more demanding games, so if you have everything turned up and are expecting perfect performance just because you have a modern computer than you might be a little disappointed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Starhawk64 posted:

I still think this game is good but holy gently caress it's hard.

I dunno, seems pretty easy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhczLwJ3IY&t=11m15s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the main thing to get is the fan-made stuff, but in terms of Dolphin builds I played it on an official release version a while ago and it was perfectly fine.

• Locked thread