Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

boner meter posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea emulation had gotten to this level. Anybody tried playing Eternal Darkness on this?

XboxPants posted:

Count me in as another

It ran fine a few months ago when the emulator was slower than it was right before 3.0.

Hell, I even posted screenshots back in uhh.. January: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=387072863

That 3.0 release hosed a few things up... anyone know if the past week or two have ironed out the merging? I'm too lazy to try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

bunky posted:

But he's using the joystick as the IR pointer, which inherently returns to center, causing the on-screen pointer to return to center with it.

Even if you use a mouse for the IR sensor, it snaps to the center always too. I'm not sure if that's how the Wii or the program works. Dashed my hopes of using it for HotD: Overkill and Star Successor because I'd have to keep lifting and dragging the house at hyperspeed to shoot stuff on the edges of the screen.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

bunky posted:

I just played some Mario Galaxy 2 and that's super wrong. The cursor stays wherever I leave it.

You tell me it's super wrong and I'm explaining exactly what happened to me.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did you also accidentally simultaneously bind it to a joystick? It's really not supposed to do that.

No, but it seems to be ignoring my demand that it bind to mouse input. Currently having the same problem.

EDIT: My OpenGL settings are all hosed too and messing with the controls too much crashes it. This may be from a week ago (r7669), but I'm gonna wait a while longer before I bother with Dolphin. It's currently still 10x of broken since 3.0.

EDIT2: Oh, right, I unplugged my 360 pad and did the bindings again. Didn't work so I immediately tried again and it crashed the app.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 13, 2011

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Toad King posted:

I recommend you stick with 3.0 or earlier builds for now. Recently a big rewrite of the texture cache code went in and it still has a lot of bugs that need ironing out.

That's the problem, I don't have any of the earlier builds that ran well. I usually keep a few archives around too.

Am I missing a link on the site where I can go 2-weeks before the 3.0 merge and have Dolphin working again?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

torra posted:

To configure it the way you want follow these steps:

1. Click the Wiimote icon
2. Click the Configure button in the 'Emulated Wiimote' section
3. Select 'DInput/0/Keyboard Mouse' from the Device dropdown
4. Right-Click on the 'Up' button in the 'IR' section, the 'Configure Control' dialog should pop up.
5. Scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Cursor Y-', click Select, then OK.

Repeat step 5 for Down, Left, and Right.

Down should be 'Cursor Y+', Left should be 'Cursor X-', Right should be 'Cursor X+'

When you have it auto detect and move your mouse it defaults to the 'Axis' which springs back to the center. The 'Cursor' ones do not.

One change, but this actually works as far as the configuration dialogue is concerned. However I suspect this will just fast forward my plan to get a cheap Chinese wired bar and do the USB-powered mod to it.

Thanks!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lavender Philtrum posted:

The wiimote will work without pointer action without a sensor bar, but you need a wireless sensor bar to get any IR control, yeah. You'll also need a bluetooth dongle if you don't have one or some other way to connect bluetooth devices, in order to connect your wii remote.

I also wouldn't have high hopes to be able to "run most games at full speed." Wii emulation requires a lot of tinkering to get any games to run at full speed regardless of your PC. Don't expect to run any games without downloading a special configuration first, and even then some games won't run at full speed or will have something broken and there's nothing you can do about it. Don't mean to rain on your parade, dude, but don't expect everything to go super amazing the moment you try it out.

Actually you can use two candles instead of an IR bar. Just don't burn down your TV or house to get some 1080p Wii games going.

As for the speed, I was getting full speed on my i5-2500K/Radeon 6850 pre-3.0 in Sonic Colors. Dolphin 3.0 took me down to 50%-75% speed.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
How are the current SVN builds compared to the pre-3.0 SVN? I swore off this emu a few months ago to let the branches meld back together after performance took a massive poo poo for compatibility and accuracy without optimization.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Other option, lots of guides online:
-Get knockoff wired sensor bar, cut the end off and splice a USB cord onto the end. The guides should identify the wires for you
-Take your fancy not-hot-enough-to-melt-the-PCB soldering iron and take off enough LEDs till the total draw is 5v or less, which is what the USB bus offers as I recall.

It's something I've been meaning to do myself, but instead I just turn on my Wii since it's hooked up to the same screen :v

Another option would be to take a small piece of acrylic, hot glue gun, a few IR LEDs from DealXtreme or Radio Shack, a spare USB cord and a drill. It'll look like the Doc's lab in Back to the Future, but it's the same thing. You probably only need like 4 LEDs too. I've seen people do it for desk light sources when the white LEDs first became common about 10 years ago.

Anyway, lately I'm really curious what Inti Create did to make Mega Man 9. For being a 2D game, it runs bloody awful in Dolphin compared to other NES throwback games. Even stranger it has a line warped from the lower left to upper right, making it look like a poly divided into two tris... which wouldn't have come to mind if it didn't run at about the same speed as 3D games do.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Rendering a 2D image to a texture, then rendering that onto two triangles is a common technique used for 2D games on modern hardware. Try changing the resolution you're rendering at to native and see if it helps.

I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or if it was obvious... either way, it's both good and bad to know I was right since the spare comp doesn't play well with Dolphin and 3D games.

Long story short, I set up a MAME cab to play some of my favorite SHMUPS and platformers, and I'm quite sad that MM9 plays like rear end.

CPU: E8500
GPU: Radeon 5770
Dolphin GIT 223 or 222 I think.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

loudog999 posted:

Does MM9 benefit from playing it via Dolphin graphically? Also how do I extract if from my wii were I purchased it to my Pc?

MM9 benefits not at all and runs like poo poo actually unless your comp can run games at full speed. I'll need to try the SVN build next since I'm a weirdo and actually really like Mega Man on an arcade stick.

How to copy them?
1) Custom firmware your Wii
2) Install WadCreator
3) Make sure the game you want is installed
4) Use WadCreator to backup your game, it won't be very fast despite how small these games are.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Prevailing rumor about the Rayman release on PC is that console sales were poor and that's the primary reason. If it was planned, the gaming blogs make it sound like it was un-planned, and then resurrected to recoup lost money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The business of the Megaman thread and MN9's release had me dig up MM Anniversary and X-Collection. Maybe Command Mission too, but I've never been able to get into that game.

Anyway, seems X-Collection runs 100% fine despite being an emulator running an emulator. Tried both X1 and X4 through the tutorial/opening stages with silky smooth consistency.

Anniversary however, the one I really wanted to get down with, has a weird issue with MM8. Whenever that game changes the overall screen value to white (grenades go off, title screen, you-got-weapon) the FPS drops to somewhere between 15fps and maybe less than 1. The FPS display usually doesn't dip past 9 but it's obviously struggling.
MM1 I only played a few minutes of (I was really itchy for some MM8 when I started this) and it seems to do fine.

Of other note, since I haven't tried in a few years, MM10 doesn't run like some weird slide show anymore.

• Locked thread