Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I've been trying to get Xenoblade running well in Dolphin and having a nightmarishly hard time. A bunch of the Lectrode optimized builds crash randomly, but the one you suggest - 7617 - seems to be alright. I've tried various configurations and arrived at two nearly-right choices:

HLE audio, audio throttle, no frame throttle: Game runs mostly smooth, occasional small dips below full framerate... but the game periodically pauses for as long as an entire second during combat. The pauses seem to be aligned with when the game is loading long voice samples or skill special effects from the game disc. I can't figure out why the hell that happens or how to fix it.

LLE audio on thread (recompiler), same as above: Game runs smooth but drops down to 70-80% speed during combat. The pauses from HLE seem like they're gone, though, confusingly enough.

Graphics settings don't seem to matter, except that XFB causes Dolphin to crash whenever I start a game, no matter the graphics plugin.

Do I just need a faster machine? I assumed mine would be good enough (i7 975 4-core @ 3.3ghz) but I suppose it's possible that since LLE is locked to one core, I just need a higher clock speed.

Are you playing it off the physical game disc? I'm playing off a rip right now, but I could imagine that a bug in Dolphin's code for ISOs could cause it to behave differently than a DVD and make the game's code for streaming textures/sounds freak out. If you're using the physical disc, I'll have to unbox my copy and see if playing off the disc makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

RadicalR posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031, gonna give it that emu you referenced a shot, but does it have the audio patch applied? The way you're talking, it sounds like it's fine - but I'm curious.
The patch is only necessary for HLE, I think.

I tried overclocking my CPU up to 3.9ghz and LLE was near-perfect; unfortunately I'll need to improve my cooling setup before I can actually play at that speed for more than a few minutes.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I'm not sure I can recommend playing this game in an emulator to anyone. I dropped $100 on a new high-end cooler for my machine + new thermal paste and fans and spent four hours tearing it apart and reassembling it to re-seat all the heatsinks/coolers, improve airflow, etc, and managed to get it stable above 4ghz - and LLE still runs like poo poo in combat once things get busy enough. HLE still stutters like mad, too, so that bug seems to have nothing to do with CPU power.

Plus, it turns out LLE has the same noise/static bug that HLE does, so you have to run using the (much slower) patched 68xx build if you don't like static. Bleh. :( Maybe the Limit by FPS suggestion Alkanos made will get rid of the stuttering...

Game's fun as hell, though, so maybe I'll pick up a Wii and mod it so I can play the game.

• Locked thread