Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Filthy Monkey posted:

These builds have version 3.1 of Mylek's Xenoblade patch applied. Try them if you are using HLE for audio and are having problems. I didn't include a SSE4.2 build, as I figure if you have a processor that supports it you can probably run LLE. That, or just run the SSE4.1 version.
ICC SSE3
ICC SSE4.1

I did find a way to do some benchmarking, which is better than my educated guessing from before. In testing, I found that the ICC builds run around eight to ten percent faster than the VC++ build on my processor. The difference in performance between ICC versions compiled with different SSE instruction sets is minimal.

I'm confused. I'm using the SSE4.1 build above, but Xenoblade still seems to be limited to 25FPS. Do I need to patch the iso as well?

edit: Nevermind, I got Gyoru's PAL patch and the audio patch mixed up. Everything working great.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'm playing Xenoblade and while generally I've got it running pretty well (1920x1200 fullscreen, 3x texture res, 27-30FPS), I have a weird graphical issue. Somewhat regularly, it's like the game resets to a much lower resolution and everything gets super jaggy. The weird thing is that save-stating corrects the issue immediately. Anyone else seen this?

I'm on an i5-750, Radeon 4890, Gigabyte GA-P55, Win7 x64. Using one of Gyoru's latest builds.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

I put together a couple more builds, mostly to fix the shader-related bug. I also spent a few hours generating a large set of builds with varying optimizations, and testing their relative speeds in xenoblade. I've now narrowed down what I believe to be the fastest set of ICC optimizations for dolphin. It turns out a couple of switches do more harm than good.

Here are the winners. Both have my shader related fix applied. In addition, both are built with /arch:SSE3. In my testing, I found that /QxSSE4.2 lost me about 1 fps worth of speed. Minor, but hey. I am picking the best of the lot here.
3.0-96
3.0-96 /w Mylek's Xenoblade Patch

This is worse for me than your previous build, I consistently get about 1FPS lower with it and more noticeable intermittent FPS drops using the same settings. I'm on an i5-750, Radeon 4890, Win7 x64.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Uh oh. :ohdear: It's not supposed to look like this is it?

Xenoblade, just past Satorl Marsh when you go inside the Bionis. Help. i5-750, Gigabyte GA-P55, Radeon 4890, Win7 x64, using one of Filthy Monkey's earlier builds and have had no problems up to this point.

edit: well switching to Direct3D11 made it so I could at least see even though it looked like poo poo, so I was able to make it past the area.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 24, 2011

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zamo posted:

Thanks, but that didn't do the trick. I'm not sure if it can be seen properly in the screenshots, but the textures don't change to white, but rather the screen becomes extremely bright.

Edit: It turns out that this was a DX11 bug. Using DX9 now and it works perfectly.

Yeah I posted earlier about a similar bug (though not in the same place). I was able to fix it by switching from DX9 to DX11. Seems like switching between those and OpenGL will fix most graphical issues.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

blackflare posted:

Can anyone give me a link to a specific recommended build and settings for xenoblade that wont give me crashes so often? I find it crashes on me once every half hour or so, sometimes much more often, its kind of random. Ive taken to saving every 3 minutes but its driving me insane. I'm currently using filthy's 3.0-96 x64 build. Dsound, hle, dx9. My cpu is a athlon II x3, supposedly supports sse3 or sse4a.

Have you tried switching to XAudio? That might be the problem.

I'm using this build. I'm not on the right PC to tell you my settings, but the descriptions in the config menu in Dolphin are pretty good. If you follow the "if unsure, leave this _____" instructions, and then set the rest of the stuff towards optimizing performance, you'll basically have the settings I use and I haven't had any crashes. I am using DX11 because for some reason it performs WAY better on my PC than DX9.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

My controller just randomly stopped responding in Xenoblade and I can't get it to come back. I've tried save-stating and load-stating, restarting Dolphin, hitting Alt-F5, no luck. I'm using one of Filthy's builds.

gently caress I'm gonna lose like an hour of progress here.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

Every time this happened to me, I made another save-state, then loaded it, and was immediately prompted to reconnect with Alt-F5. You could also just wait for 5 minutes for the game to go on stand-by, and then reconnect. Unless you're in a battle, of course.

Yeah I tried those and they didn't work. Of course this would be the one time where idling didn't disconnect the controller. That leads me to believe that it might have been a game glitch, not a Dolphin glitch. Either way I didn't lose that much progress.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mido posted:

Easy fix, turn the Anisotropic Filtering to anything above 2x, and those lines will go away.

I'm having a frustrating time with the Wiimote+ being inconsistent. I'll perform the same purely vertical strike many times in a row and it will randomly start doing upstrikes, horizontal strikes and diagonal strikes. Does my adapter suck or something? What's going on here.

You're playing a Wii game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

How unrealistic is it to think that Wind Waker might be playable on an i7 Macbook Air? The first time I saw Dolphin in person was someone running it on a 2010 model Macbook Air, and things looked almost playable on it...

I don't know about Wind Waker, but I tried to run Xenoblade on my i7-2620M laptop with 8GB of RAM and didn't stand a chance. At least not at reasonable resolution/graphics settings.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

redreader posted:

I have an i7 920 (desktop) and dolphin runs ok. Does dolphin rely heavily on 3d graphics cards or something?

No, the laptop processors are significantly less powerful than the desktop versions. The 2620M has a slightly higher clockspeed than your processor but is only dual-core and has half the cache size.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fishmasher posted:

Has anyone played through Xenoblade with 0 crashes yet?

I'm wondering if I should bother trying various recommended emulator versions until one is completely crash-free, or just keep using the one I have (which seems relatively stable, but does occasionally crash with green graphical artifacts).

I played about 120 hours with only a single crash. But the build I used was something special worked up by gyoru or somebody and posted at least 6 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Last time I tried a couple weeks ago overall performance was indeed worse. and the sound was MOSTLY ironed out, but no combination of settings could remove the 0.2-0.3s delay on audio. Massively grating, especially in menus. *tap dpad, cursor moves* *pause* *BLIP* :mad:

One of these days I'll play that game past getting Dunban in the party. :(

I think gibbed posted a package for playing Xenoblade in this thread a couple years ago. That's what I used when I played it and had almost no issues (although again, that was years ago).

• Locked thread