Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Having a newborn in the house means suddenly much less time for photo editing, so a few highlights from my last football game of the season from a month ago:

And a couple from the start of basketball season:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Frinkahedron posted:

Having a newborn in the house means suddenly much less time for photo editing, so a few highlights from my last football game of the season from a month ago:

That picture of Bud is loving epic. Can I order a print?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grats on the kid, Frink :toot:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
So I entered the "picture of the year"-competition held by the Press photographers association here in Norway. I don't think I stand a chance against the professional photographers, but it is fun to try!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

So I entered the "picture of the year"-competition held by the Press photographers association here in Norway. I don't think I stand a chance against the professional photographers, but it is fun to try!

Hell yeah bud, best of luck. :toot:

Which shot did you submit?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

Hell yeah bud, best of luck. :toot:

Which shot did you submit?

This one as single shot:
Vålerenga Fotball - Rosenborg BK (1-1), 01.09.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

As a series:
Vålerenga Fotball - SK Brann 03.11.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell yeah those rule.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

hell yeah those rule.

Thanks! The single picture is clearly the weakest, but it's still an OK picture. I was considering another one of fans, but...

So! What are you guys doing this year? I'm still gonna shoot football, and try to get my hands on a 300 f2.8.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fuji question for y'all: I shot my son's soccer scrimmage yesterday and got a few keepers, but also quite a few (maybe 80%) slightly out-of-focus images. Settings on my X-T3 + 55-200 were:

Burst mode: CH (11fps)
C-AF
Zone AF, Five dots wide
C-AF custom setting: 5
face/head detection off.
jpeg
Shutter 1/1000, auto ISO, auto aperture

If I'm going to run my lens wide open, should I switch to single point AF and focus on the player I'm trying to capture? Any other settings that seem wildly out of line?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Fuji question for y'all: I shot my son's soccer scrimmage yesterday and got a few keepers, but also quite a few (maybe 80%) slightly out-of-focus images. Settings on my X-T3 + 55-200 were:

Burst mode: CH (11fps)
C-AF
Zone AF, Five dots wide
C-AF custom setting: 5
face/head detection off.
jpeg
Shutter 1/1000, auto ISO, auto aperture

If I'm going to run my lens wide open, should I switch to single point AF and focus on the player I'm trying to capture? Any other settings that seem wildly out of line?

Set it single point and try to focus directly on the player you're targeting. Bear in mind you're still going to miss some because even little kid soccer still makes life tough on cameras.

You're also depending on both the speed of the body to focus and the speed of the lens to adjust to it.

You won't get all keepers but it should help. Remember, two faces and a ball.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 3, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The 55-200 is a nice lens, but it's not a fast focusing lens and it doesn't have a focus limiter so it can hunt. Single point is more accurate, but easier to miss target and hit background/foreground and the hunting on that lens will kill you. My "bird" setting is AF-C, focus set to shutter, with the center 9 points selected.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Might not be doing more than small events for a while

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
So I went ahead and got me a used Canon 400 mm f2.8L (not IS).

Think I'm ready for the season to start (if I'm lucky enough to get in).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

So I went ahead and got me a used Canon 400 mm f2.8L (not IS).

Think I'm ready for the season to start (if I'm lucky enough to get in).

oh man that's gonna rule

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Hooray! Footballs back on the menu!

Vålerenga Fotball - Stabæk Fotball 21.06.2020 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

All of these are shot with the combination 1Dx and 400mm.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Is it weird being at these matches when the stands are empty?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Ask a Cardiff City fan.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

Ask a Cardiff City fan.

:drat:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

XBenedict posted:

We had 200 extra people inside so it wasn't that bad. Stands completely empty is just plain wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

Ask a Cardiff City fan.

Lol

larper
Apr 9, 2019

torgeaux posted:

The 55-200 is a nice lens, but it's not a fast focusing lens and it doesn't have a focus limiter so it can hunt. Single point is more accurate, but easier to miss target and hit background/foreground and the hunting on that lens will kill you. My "bird" setting is AF-C, focus set to shutter, with the center 9 points selected.

its a rip off

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello fellow dorkroom posters.

With the future of SA up in the air it would be a shame to lose this wonderful community to the ether, this is my favorite place to post about photography and get dunked on by people who are far more talented than me. To that end there's a new stickied thread and a Dorkroom discord has been made. If the worst comes to pass it'd be a shame to lose touch with all of you fine posters, so please come in and have a chat, or let us know some of your other favorite places to talk about photography.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110

https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Haven't shot sporty long-lens stuff in so long, I forgot how many forgettable shots of distant specks turn into rad photos when cropped hard. Bless big sensors

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Car go broooooooooooooomp

Car go brapbrap

Car go "F*** YOU GRASS"

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ah. The 37th annual Red Car Rally.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

today in photographers who should just wrap it up and call it a career because they took a picture they will never top:

https://twitter.com/JeffAshton_/status/1323290917873201152

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

some awesome photos in this article about Geoff Winningham's photos of wrestling events in the Sam Houston Coliseum in the 1970s

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Motorsport is back on in a place that actually took Covid seriously

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Motorsport is back on in a place that actually took Covid seriously

drat... not only digging that whip pan... but also how the black, yellow and white on the livery matches other elements in the shot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/vanessajang/status/1349614472483143686

someone 'hired' their kid with a DSLR and kit lens, holy poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the NHL said they're predicting to lose over a billion dollars playing this season so they gotta make that up somewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well the NHL said they're predicting to lose over a billion dollars playing this season so they gotta make that up somewhere.

This is eugene melnyk we're talking about. Frankly I'm surprised he didn't just tell someone to snap a few shots on their cell phone.

Hell, if he had, they would have turned out better

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

my pal once again gave me a reason to blow the cobwebs off my 5D

very hot, battery trouble (part due to it being very hot), but A+ would shoot again

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Picture of the Year is doing their judging at the moment and they covered sports photography yesterday, with these four photos being crowned the winners in the "Sports action" category.

First place:

Second place:

Third place:

Award of excellence:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is "picture of the year" the actual outlet or who is this for?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

Is "picture of the year" the actual outlet or who is this for?

https://poy.org/

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Went through these 2017 photos recently, figured I'd post a few as my first post in this thread:

https://i.imgur.com/x3g99wh.gifv

seravid fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 11, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You pan really well in those first few pictures, I'm not big on the one with the crowd's backs all to you but overall it's a good group

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

You pan really well in those first few pictures, I'm not big on the one with the crowd's backs all to you but overall it's a good group

All I can see is dude with faded jeans' rear end.

Those trucks look like a heap of fun to do panning shots on, the suspension working gives the shots a lot of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Haha, I thought it did okay to provide context, but now that's all I see. Always good to get another perspective...

And yes, this was a lot of fun to shoot. Plenty of opportunities to get close to the action, too.

As penance for the skinny jeans, here's a cool guy: