Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

That scene reminds me of one thing I find annoying about Sorkin's shows. The characters constantly talk about their credentials, their title, their education etc. Mandy talked about how she's cute and has a PhD. Even on Studio 60 some guy constantly talks about how he went to Harvard and one character bitches about online blogs because they aren't real journalists that went to Yale. On Sports Night one guy talks about how he has BA, MA, and JD degrees and Dan talks about how he went to Dartmouth. We get it, you are smart people! Don't need to shove it down my throat.

:smug: I'm an admiral in the U.S. Navy and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff... Beat that with a stick. :smug:

Though I guess you can be smug when you're the Chairman
The thing I dislike about Sorkin's shows is the arrogance of the main characters. An example from Studio 60:

(Referring to an old man) "He took part in Operation Overlord"
"What was that?"
"You know it as the invasion of Normandy."

"Then why not call it in the invasion of Normandy in the first place, you smug prick?" is a natural reaction to that sort of thing, but everyone always just looks appreciative that they have such a fine mind in their presence. Perhaps Sorkin behaves that way and thinks he is similarly admired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread