Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
A huge problem with Mac gaming is that most of the non-console gaming market is going all :smug: and masturbating over their anime mods and frames per second instead of writing better drivers for Mac and helping us mod our Macs so we can play together. :sad:

I mostly game on consoles, since I'm not super good at fiddling with this kind of thing but I have most of the good Mac games one can get on Steam.

I got KOTOR 2 up and running last year by looking around at Cider/Wine sites, as well as installing the PC-only expansions for Neverwinter Nights 2.

I think some people just want to feel superiour, and for once it's not the Mac guys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp
Pangea Software, Ambrosia Software, and Freeverse Software are good places to start. MacAddict magazine used to come with discs that had a bunch of great shareware demos and freeware for OS 9 and below, but sadly those days are gone (and of course classic Mac OSes are no longer supported) :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Jenova Project posted:

A huge problem with Mac gaming is that most of the non-console gaming market is going all :smug: and masturbating over their anime mods and frames per second instead of writing better drivers for Mac and helping us mod our Macs so we can play together. :sad:

I mostly game on consoles, since I'm not super good at fiddling with this kind of thing but I have most of the good Mac games one can get on Steam.

I got KOTOR 2 up and running last year by looking around at Cider/Wine sites, as well as installing the PC-only expansions for Neverwinter Nights 2.

I think some people just want to feel superiour, and for once it's not the Mac guys...

I think my biggest problem is that Steam seems to be the only vendor taking Mac gaming somewhat seriously. I checked out the Mac App Store when it came out and immediately wrote it off when I saw that ancient games like Call of Duty 4 were selling for $40.

"There's no market for Mac games." *sells old games at original retail price, no one buys them* "See? No market"

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure that it's fair to say that NONE of the Mac Pro cards are suitable for gaming, the 5870 available as an add-on is pretty beefy and the 6970M in the top-level iMac is no slouch either.

I own a mac pro. I just wanna point out for any other owners out there that you can buy a stock "PC" ATI HD Radeon 6870 and it will work just fine with drivers taken rom OS 10.6.6. Theres no need to mess around with flashing your card or anything. All you need to get otherwise is two 6-pin male-male PCI-E powercables. http://netkas.org/?p=679 for info.

You won't get video while booting OS X but you will get video while booting Windows.

There is improvement while playing OS X games, and its pretty much the best card you can get for your mac at the price. I run BC2 at max settings at 50-60fps.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 11, 2011

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Adonis Gunther posted:

I'm getting a new laptop soon™, and I've decided to move out of Apple's OS X prison hellhole. The only games I have played on Mac (not running BootCamp) are WoW and EVE. I'm really not seeing a bright future for OS X gaming. Also, the value for money in terms of gaming when you get a Mac is ridiculous. I mean, I'm getting an Alienware and it's cheaper and better than the Apple equivalent.

Yes, if you are buying a laptop as a toy to play games on, an Alienware will get you further, this is not a revelation or a New Thought. Did you even see the thread title?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: upgrades, there's another option down line...for 2011 Macs with Thunderbolt: Sonnet Echo Express. Of course considering the likely Thunderbolt premium (along with whatever gouging Sonnet wants) it'll probably cost quite a bit, not to mention you'd still need to get a card with Mac drivers. Hopefully be other external GPU options down the line but I wouldn't expect any for quite a while, if any.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Adonis Gunther posted:

I'm getting a new laptop soon™, and I've decided to move out of Apple's OS X prison hellhole. The only games I have played on Mac (not running BootCamp) are WoW and EVE. I'm really not seeing a bright future for OS X gaming. Also, the value for money in terms of gaming when you get a Mac is ridiculous. I mean, I'm getting an Alienware and it's cheaper and better than the Apple equivalent.

Hello, it's you. You're the inane little forest-for-the-trees non-contributing fuckshit that that seems to crop up in any Apple thread spouting the tiresome, irrelevant Mac vs. PC debate cliches, regardless of the thread's content. Lurk more.

pipes! fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 11, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've got a high-end Macbook Pro and I've done all kinds of gaming on it. Was able to run Duke Nukem 3D at full everything, Portal 2 full everything, and a bunch of other new and new-ish graphically intense games at Medium to High. It's seriously a beast with 8 gigs of ram, a Core2Duo, and a surprisingly decent nVidia GeForce 330M. Since there are all kinds of Steamplay games I can do Frozen Synapse, Atom Zombie Smasher, Portal 2, and the BIT.TRIP games all just fine in OSX.

Then I boot into Windows 7 for the rest. :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do I need to play games like Planescape: Torment on OSX? Is that possible?

I know Linux has the WINE database - something like that for OSX?

I'm basically a complete newb when it comes to OSX software. Just got my Macbook Pro the other day.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

Toastline posted:

Pangea Software, Ambrosia Software, and Freeverse Software are good places to start. MacAddict magazine used to come with discs that had a bunch of great shareware demos and freeware for OS 9 and below, but sadly those days are gone (and of course classic Mac OSes are no longer supported) :(

I made a lot of the Freeverse games. My pride is Wingnuts 2. It's a top down airplane shooter like Time Pilot. I won an Macworld Eddie for that.

And Kill Monty is a fantastic Robotron style game featuring lots of blood and guts.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Memoir '44 is an absolute blast. It is in beta but built around a micropayment system. http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/start/

Hmm, well it certainly looks nice. I'm a little dubious about the payment model, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Gyshall posted:

What do I need to play games like Planescape: Torment on OSX? Is that possible?

I know Linux has the WINE database - something like that for OSX?

I'm basically a complete newb when it comes to OSX software. Just got my Macbook Pro the other day.

Boxer mentioned in the OP appears to be able to, but I can't find my CDs to try. :/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Diablo 2 will cease to work once Lion comes out since it is PPC only :qq:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

flyboi posted:

Diablo 2 will cease to work once Lion comes out since it is PPC only :qq:

Wasn't Snow Leopard PPC only as well?

Anyway, I had NO idea that stuff from GOG.com would work in Boxer, only because of what they had to do to the games to make them XP/Vista/Win7 compatible, I figured that probably ruined whatever. I guess I just don't know stuff :haw:

I love Boxer, ever since it provided me with absolutely no hassle to run Daggerfall, whereas many of my PC-using friends were working their asses off trying to get it to run.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyway, I had NO idea that stuff from GOG.com would work in Boxer, only because of what they had to do to the games to make them XP/Vista/Win7 compatible, I figured that probably ruined whatever. I guess I just don't know stuff :haw:

I love Boxer, ever since it provided me with absolutely no hassle to run Daggerfall, whereas many of my PC-using friends were working their asses off trying to get it to run.

Diablo 2 is PPC, Lion is getting rid of Rosetta support so no PPC apps will work in Lion.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Snow leopard has Rosetta. You just need to run a PPC app and it'll ask if you want to install it. Lion won't have Rosetta at all.

For OS 9 games that don't require 3d hardware, there is always Sheepshaver (Which works perfectly in Lion and Snow Leopard). But for older PPC OSX games, it might make more sense to buy a Powerbook or iBook. If you avoid the Mac Stores that charge insane prices for old hardware ($400 for a Powerbook G4? No thanks) and stick with Ebay or SA-Mart, you can find old Powerbooks and iBooks for somewhat reasonable prices. Then you could dual boot OS 9/OSX and run whatever you like.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Does anyone know how to run Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on a Mac without installing Windows?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hippieman posted:

Does anyone know how to run Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on a Mac without installing Windows?

If you have/can get the Mac version, you could try Sheepshaver

For the Windows version, it should work in Wine. The Wine AppDB says it runs fine, so you should be able to set it up in that. Use Winebottler

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

drasticactions posted:

For the Windows version, it should work in Wine. The Wine AppDB says it runs fine, so you should be able to set it up in that. Use Winebottler

Some to all of this should go in the OP. At least the Wine AppDB.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

drasticactions posted:

I tried the Winebottler, but I'll be damned if I understand what I'm doing. I created a prefix, and made an App, but when I run it, it just launches X11 and calls it a day. I'm building the prefix against the Heroes3.exe file. THis is a rip of my Heroes 3 directory from my old PC (that I no longer have, just a backup of it's old HD).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm at work, so I can't test this now, but I've recently fallen in love with Trilby (yes, playing at work). Anyone running this in Boxer? Any issues?

Also, is there some huge advantage for putting down money for Crossover rather than use Wine?

First 07
Jan 1, 2007

by T. Finn

hippieman posted:

I tried the Winebottler, but I'll be damned if I understand what I'm doing. I created a prefix, and made an App, but when I run it, it just launches X11 and calls it a day. I'm building the prefix against the Heroes3.exe file. THis is a rip of my Heroes 3 directory from my old PC (that I no longer have, just a backup of it's old HD).

Just buy Crossover.

https://www.codeweavers.com

It's basically the same as Wine bottler.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Also, is there some huge advantage for putting down money for Crossover rather than use Wine?

Crossover has a better GUI than WineBottler, and some additions to make some Windows Software like Microsoft Office run better. There is also Crossover Games, which has more Game adjustments and a more up to date version of Wine for the backend. As far as I know, that's about it. Most of the additions that are made to Crossover make their way to Wine at some point.

For the times I've used WineBottler, it has worked about half the time. When it runs, it works great, but getting the software to actually start (as hippieman is now experiencing) can be a pain.

Honestly, I rather just install Wine-devel through MacPorts and run it through the terminal. Then it works just like it would on Linux, which makes it much more easier to manage for me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm at work, so I can't test this now, but I've recently fallen in love with Trilby (yes, playing at work). Anyone running this in Boxer? Any issues?

It doesn't really seem like there is anymore, unless you have a game or application that is on their supported list so you can just download their automated installation thingy (most of the time for me it isn't) for it then you might as well go for winebottler or wineskin and going off the WineHQ AppDB for instructions.

Wineskin is nice because it lets you choose any version of wine to create a bottle out of, since sometimes updates seem to break some games.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

drasticactions posted:

Crossover has a better GUI than WineBottler, and some additions to make some Windows Software like Microsoft Office run better. There is also Crossover Games, which has more Game adjustments and a more up to date version of Wine for the backend. As far as I know, that's about it. Most of the additions that are made to Crossover make their way to Wine at some point.

For the times I've used WineBottler, it has worked about half the time. When it runs, it works great, but getting the software to actually start (as hippieman is now experiencing) can be a pain.

Honestly, I rather just install Wine-devel through MacPorts and run it through the terminal. Then it works just like it would on Linux, which makes it much more easier to manage for me.

I'm finding both CrossOver and WineBottler to be somehow more confusing to use than a loving command line. How come nobody can just make a "Drag the EXE here" and it just works? This is a Mac god-damnit, I don't want to know what a DLL is.

Sorry just mystified at why nothing works. Can't get any kind of log or reporting to tell me what the gently caress is going on. Why does it come with 2 applications? This is a horrible user experience.

And CrossOver is just as confusing unless you want to play Portal. Seems to be about all CrossOver can do.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Yodzilla posted:

I've got a high-end Macbook Pro and I've done all kinds of gaming on it. Was able to run Duke Nukem 3D at full everything,

Duke 3D came out in 1996, it's not that graphically intensive. But yeah, I do love playing those old DOSBOX games. I might wait a bit on Lion just to see how it effects playing games, even if all Steam games are supposed to be compatible I want to make sure all my other games can still work.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

drasticactions posted:

Snow leopard has Rosetta. You just need to run a PPC app and it'll ask if you want to install it. Lion won't have Rosetta at all.

It may not be coming with Lion itself, but I wonder if there is a reason Rosetta would not function under Lion if you installed it from an alternate source (e.g., the Snow Leopard disc)? I don't even use PPC software these days, I am just curious.

Question, with Crossover I am assuming I can use my existing windows partition? Can you move files (not copy) from your NTFS drive by dragging and dropping from Crossover to the finder (Or vice-versa)?

Or are there perhaps libraries that can be installed to allow OS X to write to NTFS, and windows 7 to write to HFS/+? Perhaps this question belongs in SHSC, but managing my windows 7 partition for games is a pain. I have a 1TB HD, and I find myself having to expand my windows partition often to fit new games on it. I'd really like to be able to access and modify *all* of my files regardless of my operating system. I am aware of paid options but there's got to be work on an open source option right?

Besides games, I also work on audio production mainly using Logic 9 under OS X, but occasionally I must use some windows software due to compatibility issues. Since I can't write between the two, I end up having to make copies of the files on the opposite partition and its a pain to manage. For some software, I don't think crossover would be ideal either as playback needs to be as smooth as possible.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 11, 2011

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hippieman posted:

And CrossOver is just as confusing unless you want to play Portal. Seems to be about all CrossOver can do.

Yeah, you may want to try and get your hands on the Mac OS 9 version and run it in SheepShaver. I just tried it and it seems to work just fine. You just have to make sure to have the ram level above 512.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

hippieman posted:

I'm finding both CrossOver and WineBottler to be somehow more confusing to use than a loving command line. How come nobody can just make a "Drag the EXE here" and it just works? This is a Mac god-damnit, I don't want to know what a DLL is.

Sorry just mystified at why nothing works. Can't get any kind of log or reporting to tell me what the gently caress is going on. Why does it come with 2 applications? This is a horrible user experience.

I just looked and both versions of HOMM3 are listed as gold (works quite well) on crossover, all it should take is to open up crossover, go to 'Configure>Install Software', choose 'Other Application' in the list and follow the steps.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I'll second wineskin, its free and it creates .apps for your windows software. Crossover Games is you best bet for a newbie install though. However, if you already have a boot camp partition, parallels is excellent that it runs windows on the os x side, and plays pretty recent games (Crysis)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Duke 3D came out in 1996, it's not that graphically intensive. But yeah, I do love playing those old DOSBOX games. I might wait a bit on Lion just to see how it effects playing games, even if all Steam games are supposed to be compatible I want to make sure all my other games can still work.

Perhaps he meant DNF? He compared it to Portal 2.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Contributin'

Of course, there's Minecraft. If you've been living under a rock for the past couple of years, it's an, um, creatively coded First Person sandbox building game that's built in Java. I also really reccommend using Boat's MaximumMinecraft app for managing memory, mods, saves, backups, etc.

I use a Mac Mini at home as a media PC, and with that some emulators for big, chunky pixels on a big 'ol TV. Nthing the recommendation for Boxer, it's a wonderful program. Mame OSX is a great MAME app, basically iTunes-style frontend for MAME roms. Nestopia is pretty much the standard for NES emulation, and SNES9x for SNES. Can't really speak much for other systems, though.

On Steam, my standard gotos are CivIV and V, Frozen Synapse, and StarCraft II.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
The best games to pass the time on my any Apple machine is Torchlight and Altitude. Good times.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

hippieman posted:

Yeah I share your complaints. First I tried looking up Wine, but apparently there's no official OSX binaries, although there's one for everything else. Ok. So I got Winebottler, which popped up half a dozen windows when I first started it up with little explanation for anything. What the gently caress is a prefix? I know what the word means, but what. It just pops up a window that says something like "Prefixes" with a button for adding a thing I guess.

Once I ignored all the windows and loaded up a copy of Skulltag, it seemed to work ok but then hard-locked the computer when I tried to change the resolution. If Crossover is "basically the same as Winebottler," then I sure as hell don't want to touch it with my wallet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Vertigus posted:

Yeah I share your complaints. First I tried looking up Wine, but apparently there's no official OSX binaries, although there's one for everything else. Ok. So I got Winebottler, which popped up half a dozen windows when I first started it up with little explanation for anything. What the gently caress is a prefix? I know what the word means, but what. It just pops up a window that says something like "Prefixes" with a button for adding a thing I guess.

Once I ignored all the windows and loaded up a copy of Skulltag, it seemed to work ok but then hard-locked the computer when I tried to change the resolution. If Crossover is "basically the same as Winebottler," then I sure as hell don't want to touch it with my wallet.

Try wineskin, it is kinda complicated looking the first time you see it but it's pretty straightforward and leaves you with a nice .app for every game when you're done.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BBW FEVER posted:

It may not be coming with Lion itself, but I wonder if there is a reason Rosetta would not function under Lion if you installed it from an alternate source (e.g., the Snow Leopard disc)? I don't even use PPC software these days, I am just curious.
I believe Rosetta consists of some runtime thing along with PPC versions of various libraries, I think the latter is what would make it a pain to get working (or keep working over time as the system gets updated). Still I wouldn't be surprised to see someone pull it off. Otherwise if you don't mind breaking the EULA you could run an older OS X in a VM.

quote:

Question, with Crossover I am assuming I can use my existing windows partition? Can you move files (not copy) from your NTFS drive by dragging and dropping from Crossover to the finder (Or vice-versa)?

Or are there perhaps libraries that can be installed to allow OS X to write to NTFS, and windows 7 to write to HFS/+? Perhaps this question belongs in SHSC, but managing my windows 7 partition for games is a pain. I have a 1TB HD, and I find myself having to expand my windows partition often to fit new games on it. I'd really like to be able to access and modify *all* of my files regardless of my operating system. I am aware of paid options but there's got to be work on an open source option right?

Besides games, I also work on audio production mainly using Logic 9 under OS X, but occasionally I must use some windows software due to compatibility issues. Since I can't write between the two, I end up having to make copies of the files on the opposite partition and its a pain to manage. For some software, I don't think crossover would be ideal either as playback needs to be as smooth as possible.
Crossover/Wine isn't meant to work with an existing Windows installation so I imagine it'd choke...and if it's on an NTFS drive it wouldn't be able to write to it anyway.

For the drive stuff, have you looked into ExFAT? OS X has supported it since 10.6.something, and Windows has for a while (you may have to download a driver separately though), both have read/write support for it. I wouldn't rely on it without doing testing with your particular apps though, so make copies of stuff and do some experiments with it to see how it does.
Edit-it's not meant for the system drive, so OS X and Windows would still need their HFS+ and NTFS system partitions, with something like a shared ExFAT data partition.

piratepilates posted:

I just looked and both versions of HOMM3 are listed as gold (works quite well) on crossover, all it should take is to open up crossover, go to 'Configure>Install Software', choose 'Other Application' in the list and follow the steps.
I think the problem may be that it sounds like hippie is trying to run it from an existing install, while Crossover's thing works with the original installer and gets everything set up for you.

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

theultimo posted:

I'll second wineskin, its free and it creates .apps for your windows software. Crossover Games is you best bet for a newbie install though. However, if you already have a boot camp partition, parallels is excellent that it runs windows on the os x side, and plays pretty recent games (Crysis)

My only issue with Parallels is that you're restricted to 256 MB of VRAM. I really hope their next version lifts this limitation. It's the one thing keeping me from buying the software.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

japtor posted:

Crossover/Wine isn't meant to work with an existing Windows installation so I imagine it'd choke...and if it's on an NTFS drive it wouldn't be able to write to it anyway.

You could always install something like Paragon NTFS or NTFS-3g if you want read/write NTFS support. But I don't know if I would use either to constantly write to the drive.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

japtor posted:

I think the problem may be that it sounds like hippie is trying to run it from an existing install, while Crossover's thing works with the original installer and gets everything set up for you.

I gave up on WInebox or whatever and tried CrossOver again. After getting a bunch of errors, my screen went black and the blam the 3D0 logo and intro movie. Played a bunch of HOMMIII last night. No clue why it suddenly worked, not sure I could even do it again if I wanted to.

One day the OpenSource community will realise that they should probably try to make something pretty and easy to use, instead of worrying about releasing under GLP 2.4 vs 2.5 or whatever GLP is up to these days.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so because of GOG releasing Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 - Deluxe Edition (thread link here), I want to get this and play it on my mac. Does Boxer work, or would WINE be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Boxer's for DOSBox, and RCT1 isn't a DOS game, so probably not :v:

But as someone who wants to play that again and is on Mac now, let us know how WINE works with it. I remember it working pretty drat well under WINE on Linux back when I had a bad Linux netbook, so hopefully it'll work fine in Mac too.

• Locked thread