Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paberu
Jun 23, 2013

B-mobile also has an LTE plan now, but I don't know if it's compatible with non Japanese handsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

paberu posted:

B-mobile also has an LTE plan now, but I don't know if it's compatible with non Japanese handsets.

Nexus 5

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Does anyone offer a prepaid (data allowance rather than periodic plan) wi-fi router thingy at all? Basically, I'm looking to go back to my old clamshell once my iPhone contract is up in March, but I want to have a wifi pod that I can use every now and then that isn't going to suck thousands of yen per month out of my wallet. I'd only need about 250 meg a month (if that) for how I'm planning to use it.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
If those wi-fi routers have a drop in for a SIM card, then you can just get a prepaid SIM and use that. But I don't own one nor ever held one so I have no idea. You might be able to google in JP cyperspace and find out though.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Bmoblie has one that uses their own Sims.

Or get a cheap used android phone to use as a router.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Madd0g11 posted:

Bmoblie has one that uses their own Sims.

Or get a cheap used android phone to use as a router.

So they do. I just found this: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/wifi3/index.html, which isn't prepaid but still does the job.
Pity they don't sell the SIM separately. 25,000 seems a bit steep for one of those portarouters.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 21, 2013

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
How did I not know this thread existed I never would have signed up with AU had I known

B-mobile has a call+data plan for 3120/month right now which is great, and LTE enabled if your phone supports it. This website has the relevant details, should probably be included in the OP: http://www.japanmobiletech.com

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Handsets may finally get landline numbers! (Provided LTE gets class A ratings and NTT doesn't scuttle the whole thing. Still, a boy can dream)

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2013/12/japan-communications-to-bring-landline.html

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I'm going to be travelling to Japan for 3 weeks next month (so this is a very belated time to finally ask this question, I know), and I'd like to rent a SIM card with a data plan for ease of use/travel. I may also need to use it to call hotels and such; especially for late check-in times due to delays in transport. The Asakusa hotel I'm staying in when I first arrive since I land at Narita at 8PM and the hotel in Kusatsu - where we'll be heading to from Kyoto - are my major concerns for this.

I'll be joined after my first week by a friend who's renting (already booked, even) pocket wi-fi, and the only unlocked phone I have is an iPhone 3GS. Last time I went I rented a Softbank SIM for the week, but since it only takes 600kb to hit the 1500yen/day mark, I definitely don't want to pay up to $300+ USD if I end up going on the data plan by accident instead of being on my friend's wi-fi. bmobile apparently seems to be data plan only, and most SIM cards are now for iPhone 4 and up. I'm not especially attached to the idea of renting a SIM card, and would be open to renting a phone as well.

Would bmobile and just relying on payphones at stations/the airport to call be the best option here? Or should I suck up the extra cost for definite convenience and rent a phone? (I'm considering http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/iphonerent.html if that's the case.)

pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10
I'm moving to Sapporo for one year starting in early May, and I'd like to have a phone so that I can use maps and do some texting. I don't expect that I'll have much need for actual phone service. I'm really not picky about phones in general and I currently use like 25 Mb of data per month on my HTC One V because I just use wifi.
From my (lovely) research it looks like Japan has a lot of weirdness with two year contracts and so my options are probably somewhat limited. Does anyone have advice on carriers or plans that I should be looking into? Should I be trying to bring my current phone a different phone with me (:canada:)? Should I just avoid this whole mess and use my iPod touch and wifi to get by?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
The thing to remember is that the main thing you need to worry about on the contracts is that if your phone isn't paid off by the time you leave, you'll be paying it off when you cancel the contract. I know that Docomo will let you get a contract and pay the phone off in a year (I'm doing it). There will likely be a minor cancellation fee too, about 60-90USD as well. You can probably get contracts else where too. Just don't tell them you'll be leaving in a year.

I would definitely try and get a plane of some sort though. Wifi isn't everywhere and it'll be annoying to try and contact people with a wifi-only device.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pie.rat posted:

I'm moving to Sapporo for one year starting in early May, and I'd like to have a phone so that I can use maps and do some texting. I don't expect that I'll have much need for actual phone service. I'm really not picky about phones in general and I currently use like 25 Mb of data per month on my HTC One V because I just use wifi.
From my (lovely) research it looks like Japan has a lot of weirdness with two year contracts and so my options are probably somewhat limited. Does anyone have advice on carriers or plans that I should be looking into? Should I be trying to bring my current phone a different phone with me (:canada:)? Should I just avoid this whole mess and use my iPod touch and wifi to get by?

Kodo posted:

How did I not know this thread existed I never would have signed up with AU had I known

B-mobile has a call+data plan for 3120/month right now which is great, and LTE enabled if your phone supports it. This website has the relevant details, should probably be included in the OP: http://www.japanmobiletech.com

Get an unlocked phone and do that. I got a friend here using it now and it's quite adequate.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Stringent posted:

Get an unlocked phone and do that. I got a friend here using it now and it's quite adequate.

In the meantime I bought a Nexus 5 through google's site and purchased a SIM card for this plan. The LTE speeds aren't super fast but it's definitely usable and really no complaints so far. Setting up the subscription is somewhat of a pain since the online activation site is all in Japanese, but running it through google translate made it easier.

I highly recommend this plan for anyone looking for reasonably priced パケ放題. I'm not a power user and have only used up about 800MB of the allotted 3GB.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kodo posted:

In the meantime I bought a Nexus 5 through google's site and purchased a SIM card for this plan. The LTE speeds aren't super fast but it's definitely usable and really no complaints so far. Setting up the subscription is somewhat of a pain since the online activation site is all in Japanese, but running it through google translate made it easier.

I highly recommend this plan for anyone looking for reasonably priced パケ放題. I'm not a power user and have only used up about 800MB of the allotted 3GB.

What kind of LTE speeds are you getting if you don't mind sharing?

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Stringent posted:

What kind of LTE speeds are you getting if you don't mind sharing?

I live in Tokyo. I haven't tested speeds but they seem variable. From my workplace it's sloooooow, about 200kbps. At other points like on the subway it goes much faster, but I don't have any numbers.

Sadly you'll have to pay twice as much per month with a different provider for better speeds or you can purchase turbo chunks of 500mb or 100mb for 1200 yen and 300 yen respectively. For my usage messaging and mobile websites and Google maps load plenty fast for me, but downloading large files or media heavy websites are much too slow.

For my purposes it's great but definitely not for everyone. I question whether I really need the 3gb 'hi speed' when it's fairly difficult to achieve those speeds anyway, especially in regards to VoIP which at this point is not recommended. This website explains it better than I can: http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2014/01/updated-comparison-of-b-mobile-products.html#recommend

Kodo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 10, 2014

pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10

Kenishi posted:

The thing to remember is that the main thing you need to worry about on the contracts is that if your phone isn't paid off by the time you leave, you'll be paying it off when you cancel the contract. I know that Docomo will let you get a contract and pay the phone off in a year (I'm doing it). There will likely be a minor cancellation fee too, about 60-90USD as well. You can probably get contracts else where too. Just don't tell them you'll be leaving in a year.

I would definitely try and get a plane of some sort though. Wifi isn't everywhere and it'll be annoying to try and contact people with a wifi-only device.

Stringent posted:

Hm, thanks for the clarification and the insight. I really appreciate it! :)

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
My current contract is coming up, and I'm thinking of switching back to Android with a Note 3.

Only problem is I want to take it back to Australia when my work contract finishes in August next year. If I get the phone through Docomo and have them unlock it, will it work on all network bands in Australia? I read the other day that US/EU versions had some region locking that was not working correctly when you tried to unlock. Is that likely be a problem with an Asian region phone?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Its worth noting that Docomo Unlocks are software based. If you ever do a factory reset you'll have to get it unlocked again at a Docomo store, its free once you do it once but if you are in Australia then you can't do it. Its really stupid.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Thanks for the info Kenishi. I presume I could get around that if I unlock it at a Samsung support centre in Australia though?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Will the Samsung support centre unlock phones from other carriers though? Or will they get the phone, see the "NTT Docomo" brand on it and go "Sorry, we can't unlock other carrier's phones."

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I've been trying to buy the "Phone Strap 2" for a couple months with no luck. It seems like this device shipped last year but never made it out of Japan. Is there any way to purchase Willcom phones outside of Japan? Is it possible it was never for sale outside of Japan because it was carrier locked?

Reference:

http://www.geek.com/mobile/willcom-announces-the-smallest-phone-in-the-world-the-phone-strap-2-1542082/

http://www.willcom-inc.com/ja/lineup/wx/06a/

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Stick100 posted:

I've been trying to buy the "Phone Strap 2" for a couple months with no luck. It seems like this device shipped last year but never made it out of Japan. Is there any way to purchase Willcom phones outside of Japan? Is it possible it was never for sale outside of Japan because it was carrier locked?

Reference:

http://www.geek.com/mobile/willcom-announces-the-smallest-phone-in-the-world-the-phone-strap-2-1542082/

http://www.willcom-inc.com/ja/lineup/wx/06a/

I have a feeling that phone would work outside of Asia. It's most likely PHS and runs on a different radio band than most phones.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Handy-phone_System

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 24, 2014

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I wanted to activate a japanese account that required to send a SMS to a japanese phone, so I was going to buy a japanese SIM with roaming, but from what I'm reading this can't be done anymore, is there any viable alternative?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Find someone in Japan and offer them something in return

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I'm thinking I might try and go for a mobile wifi hotspot for a while instead of setting up my apartments wifi... I want a mobile wifi hub anyway and I figure it will cut down on distractions like games and youtube and poo poo while I'm busy working. Is this a terrible idea?

I'm working my way through this thread but the mobile wifi hub data conversation is something like half a year old or so, so if there's any new info or a goon consensus on the best mobile wifi service I'm all ears.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'm thinking I might try and go for a mobile wifi hotspot for a while instead of setting up my apartments wifi... I want a mobile wifi hub anyway and I figure it will cut down on distractions like games and youtube and poo poo while I'm busy working. Is this a terrible idea?

I'm working my way through this thread but the mobile wifi hub data conversation is something like half a year old or so, so if there's any new info or a goon consensus on the best mobile wifi service I'm all ears.

I like my emobile and it's cheap like 3800 a month, but remember its like 5...7 something GB before they cap the speed to 128K. I don't think I've ever hit it but it's not my primary internet. Speed is fine though for regular surfing, but I wouldn't use it for downloading linux isos or netflix. Just get the line and a wifi router for that.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've skimmed this thread, and I have a question. I'm going to be moving to Japan on the JET program in a few months, probably long term.
Is the best option for JETs still to wait until arrival and get a phone on contract?
I'm interested in using a handset like a Nexus 5 or OnePlus One so that I can own a decent handset outright and not worry about upgrading later.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
There are few usage scenarios where getting a phone on contract ends up cheaper than outright buying an unlocked phone and hooking it up with a plan separately.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Keito posted:

There are few usage scenarios where getting a phone on contract ends up cheaper than outright buying an unlocked phone and hooking it up with a plan separately.

Is this easy to do though? I thought I had read in the thread that Japanese providers are reluctant to provide you with a sim card and plan if you don't buy a phone?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Docomo does sim only but the data is more expensive. I just shoved my iPhone sim info my Nexus 4.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've skimmed this thread, and I have a question. I'm going to be moving to Japan on the JET program in a few months, probably long term.
Is the best option for JETs still to wait until arrival and get a phone on contract?
I'm interested in using a handset like a Nexus 5 or OnePlus One so that I can own a decent handset outright and not worry about upgrading later.

Your life will be infinitely easier if you just go on a plan from the get-go. First, you don't know right now what providers work the best in the area since you still haven't heard where you're going; it's gotten better, but there are rare AU or SoftBank dead spots from time to time. Secondly, getting them to give you a sim gets difficult if they're not also charging you for the handset. And of course you don't know what providers will have shops nearby; if you're in a city you're golden, but you might also be like me and stuck in a town of less than 10,000 people, and choices get much more limited.

Plus if you happen to do something to your phone, you're poo poo outta luck. My girlfriend and other friends have gotten replacements very cheap recently (4500 yen/$45 for a replacement iPhone 5) because it's part of their monthly payment.

I know "just join the herd and worry about other things" may not be the most popular advice, but it's the easiest way to remove a headache from your life. Adjusting to life in Japan and teaching on JET will provide plenty of hurdles as it is.

Also, I'd recommend AU over the other providers. SoftBank is more insistent on making you buy handsets up-front, and Docomo doesn't have as much English support or help.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Softbank won't let you contract with an unlocked phone that they didn't sell you (or at least they didn't when I tried two years ago with an iPhone 4s) and au is CDMA, so it's docomo or one of its MVNO's (like bmobile) if you want to use a factory unlocked phone. Just contract with au or Softbank, imo. Bonus for iPhones on Softbank, chronicunlocks claims to be able to get your phone unlocked for $150USD. I wouldn't bet on it actually working, but if you're in the mood to gamble :D

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
I'm total retarded, biglobe has data only sim plans and I think they are based off Docomo. They have a 3 sim plan with 7gb shared data. OCN has Sims as well same off of Docomo. Just Google biglobe and OCN Sims.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Softbank won't let you contract with an unlocked phone that they didn't sell you (or at least they didn't when I tried two years ago with an iPhone 4s) and au is CDMA, so it's docomo or one of its MVNO's (like bmobile) if you want to use a factory unlocked phone. Just contract with au or Softbank, imo. Bonus for iPhones on Softbank, chronicunlocks claims to be able to get your phone unlocked for $150USD. I wouldn't bet on it actually working, but if you're in the mood to gamble :D

SoftBank makes you pay up-front if you don't have your gaijin card or if your contract would be longer than your visa; AU doesn't care (or at least doesn't require you to buy the phone up-front). On the other hand, at least it means my iPhone bill on SoftBank has rarely been more than 5000/month.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

SoftBank makes you pay up-front if you don't have your gaijin card or if your contract would be longer than your visa; AU doesn't care (or at least doesn't require you to buy the phone up-front). On the other hand, at least it means my iPhone bill on SoftBank has rarely been more than 5000/month.

I definitely didn't have a visa longer than a 2 year contract when I got my iPhone, but I dunno YMMV.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

I had to pay upfront too for a new 4s despite a 3 year visa, but it wasn't the full unsubsidized cost which was nice. I did let myself get suckered into a photoframe (WHY?), so my bill is a bit more. Weird thing is, though, I think I was able to get a iPhone 5s on monthly payments (and a two year renewal) by ordering online despite my visa being scheduled to expire in December. I'm a bit paranoid that they'll just bill me for the cost, but it doesn't seem like they'd try pulling something like that without warning.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

I definitely didn't have a visa longer than a 2 year contract when I got my iPhone, but I dunno YMMV.

I went to the store and it was gonna be all rosy and fine and pay for a little bit of the phone now, the rest on the monthly bill, then they copied my gaijin card and saw how long the visa was, so they had to re-work the entire deal and I had to pay for the whole iPhone 5s that day. That was last October, and others here and in the Japan thread reported having the same issues.

that said, if I don't make any phone calls my bill is like 4500 yen so it's all in how you want to pay for it, I suppose.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
This is all very helpful, thanks guys.
Yeah so I suppose I will just wait until I get there to sort it out and see what happens. If I do have to pay for a phone upfront (with a one year visa) then I hope cheaper phones like the Nexus 5 or Oneplus One are available in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

This is all very helpful, thanks guys.
Yeah so I suppose I will just wait until I get there to sort it out and see what happens. If I do have to pay for a phone upfront (with a one year visa) then I hope cheaper phones like the Nexus 5 or Oneplus One are available in Japan.

You're on JET, unless things changed then three-year visas are still the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

You're on JET, unless things changed then three-year visas are still the norm.

I don't have my visa yet. I actually just assumed it would be one year and they would renew it if I decide to renew my contract.

If it's a three year visa that's awesome!

• Locked thread