Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
I was referred here by a moderator to see if you guys could help me out with a question I have about Emoji/Japanese Emoticons. I'm confused by many of the emojis that can be found on the iPhone and major Japanese carriers, mostly because they're either very strange looking or ridiculously specific and I don't understand why they would ever be included.

Here is the Ask/Tell thread I started regarding regarding the subject with the questionable emoji included. Any help would be appreciated!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425624&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post393666001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
Awesome, thanks so much guys, my friends are going to be really excited to hear what these finally are! You're also right, I know very little about Japanese culture, I'm hoping to visit there soon though.

peanut posted:

17, 18 don't think about it too hard. Somewhere, someone, knows how to use this. If you don't know now, then you'll never need to know.

Cmon, don't be so coy now you have to tell me what this is, I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

BLACK AIDS ORGY fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 18, 2011

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010

Ganguro King posted:

Actually, McDonalds has an app now.

14 is a kadomatsu.
"A kadomatsu (門松?, literally "gate pine") is a traditional Japanese decoration of the New Year placed in pairs in front of homes to welcome ancestral spirits or kami of the harvest."

17 looks like the Paulownia Seal to me.

18 is the ioriten.
"The part alternation mark 〽 (庵点 ioriten or 歌記号 utakigō) is used to indicate the beginning of a song, or the beginning of the next player's part. It was most common in Noh chanting books and Renga (linked verse)."

Ah, yes, that does look a lot like that seal. I'm sure it's super useful in text conversations. It would also make sense that it's listed as "emblem" however it also being listed as "trident" doesn't make much sense

BLACK AIDS ORGY fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 18, 2011

• Locked thread