Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I've lived in Japan two years and I still don't know how to pronounce au. Is it ah-oo or the English letters A-U?

えいゆう
英雄
Hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

tarepanda posted:

The Willcom section is wildly inaccurate; well over half of the students I know with cell phones also have Willcom phones. They use their normal phones for normal stuff and Willcom phones for talking.

Half? Wow. In all my years in Japan (of which many were spent as a student) I've met one person with a Willcom phone. Maybe it's a region based thing. The person I knew in Tokyo who had one was from Nara.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Are you sure?

A friend said he got charged a tonne when he sent a bunch of photos to someone on docomo via MMS on his iPhone.

I hope that's not the case and it's all included with the pake houdai, though, as you say.

EDIT: It's pretty terrible that I've been on this plan for 2 years and still don't actually know how it works.

I send pictures to people all the time and I've never noticed a charge. However I question if he really used MMS to someone on Docomo because at yet the networks aren't compatible; that's why Japanese phones have email.

So what likely would have happened is it sent from his softbank.ne.jp address trough the SMS/MMS app, but even still I don't think that costs money

....unless he was out of the country and doing international roaming.

EDIT: Fixed some bad typing mistakes and general air-headedness

dtb fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 29, 2011

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

tarepanda posted:

3G bothers me. I asked the sales rep if 3G had solid coverage nationwide, and she said "of course." But my phone is constantly flickering from H (What the Hell?) to 3G.

I'll point out that the Galaxy S2 has a lot of the Japanese whizbangs (including a terrible Docomo UI that I switched out of immediately) except for Saifu Keitai. Ugh. I ended up going with it because the Japanese phones don't seem to have a ton of mod/non-official support.

I just Shinkansen'd to Nagoya and back yesterday and had no problems with my iPad or iPhone on Softbank 3G and used the WiFi on the laptop. In the past I've used EMobile on the laptop too, but now I just pay like 1,000JPY/Month for NTT mobile 'public' WiFi service.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I now use Softbank because they have the iPhone, that's the only reason. Before that I had au because they had a student discount 10 years ago.

Before Softbank was Softbank, it was Vodafone. From what I could tell, most all the non-American foreigners signed up for it because they knew Vodafone and by default became Softbank customers. My understanding was you could text message other Vodafone users anywhere in the world. I would think that played more in to Softbank being the 'foreigner network' that anything else, that and the iPhone

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

...hell with the right UI it should be easier for an old person to use a touchscreen.

I remember my grandma had a really hard time with the concept of buttons in the top left and right corners of the keypad that changed functions depending on what was on the screen

Now she has that verizon 'droid' of all things! seems to work well for her because the dial pad on the phone app is pretty big.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

I guess if you want to buy into the Apple ecosystem, iPhone is much better software-wise (obviously). Personally iCloud is lost on me... since my Mac Mini is too old and you need minimum 2GB of RAM to install.

Seems like Apple and Google have an equivalent for most everything now.

FWIW IMHO iCloud is Apple's third consecutive failure in the cloud. They've tried three times now and have a bad track record with me.

I tried switching to google a while ago though and had some minor problems with Calendar (couldn't access any of the secondary calendars, only the main even though I could with (at the time) work's Google hosted apps) and major problem with Contacts; every time it would sync (once an hour) it would make a duplicate of every contact I had, plus, it would make reverse duplicates ie Paul Smith and Smith Paul. It was a huge loving disaster and haven't bothered with it since.

My inner geek tells me it is time for you to get a new computer regardless of any new announcements, but my inner immigrant tells me you're not even using your current computer to its potential as is so there's no need to spend the money.

So, im conclusion, since you don't use your computer anyways, why do you need to sync your phone to it? iCloud is free (for the amount of data you'll need just syncing contacts/calendar) and you can access it from the browser which is where you will use it most (at work, not on your home machine).

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Keep in mind a bigger screen isn't necessarily better
http://dcurt.is/2011/10/03/3-point-5-inches/

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

True
So take that on to consideration when you try them out.
Mi have human sized hands, not freakishly large German hands so iPhone works well for me. But it also has a larger screen than my ancient first to be released in japan android phone.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I had problems with mojibake on my iPod touch before the iPhone came out in Japan, but since they released the iPhone I've only had trouble a few times.
It's also always been the other way around ie people on ancient J-Phone phones can't display my email when I reply to a message of theirs that had Emoji in it.
Starting a new thread has always fixed it for me so far though.

Meanwhile, this type of writing is the kind that makes me want to slit throats:

迷いますね…

当方、iPhone4sを1台持ちで考えてまして、仕事でのメールのやり取りもありますから、文字化けがあると、トラブルの原因になりかねません。

買ってからでは遅いので、お返事を参考にしながら考えます。

Do you use emoji in your work emails? If so, you have no chance of succeeding in life anyways, so it's really a moot point for this guy.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

tarepanda posted:

I was looking forward to getting a Nexus, then I realized that the Optimus LTE is better in a bunch of ways (most noticeably, microSD support), and but then I realized that neither actually has a decent camera, or even one better than my S2. So now I'm kind of bummed out.

I guess I should start looking into the domestic smartphones to see if there's one with a nice HD screen, ICS, and a good camera.

Just got my Galaxy Nexus today
So far two complaints:
1) Email pushes faster to my iPhone. I can open and read an email on my iPhone before it arrives on the Nexus
2) I would like a visual notification in standbye for email like on my iPhone so that I can just look at the screen when an email comes rather then unlock and open the GMail app

But all around it is a very solid device.

The lack of additional storage is a non-issue since we will soon have data in the subway; stream all your music. I do it already on my iPhone: iCloud baby.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

How much would you attribute to the network? Have you tried Boxcar? That's what I've been using since I got that weird au/iPhone/Gmail/Push mojibake bug.

I've tested it both in my house on the same Wifi and outside on the mobile networks and the Android was slower in both situations.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Ganguro King posted:

I bet you can if you have a US iTunes account.

Yup
Only reason I maintain a bank account in the states is for a credit card just for iTunes :)

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Original_Z posted:

The AU iPhone got an update earlier today, anyone have any idea what it did? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

I think you're a month late on getting the 5.0.1 update unless you're running the beta of 5.1 that was release yesterday
http://japanese.engadget.com/2011/12/12/ios-5-1-beta-2/

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Original_Z posted:

Nah, a popup said a carrier update was available. I installed it, and the network connection restarted. I assume they added features that AU didn't support, but have no idea what they are, no info was given.

Never seen a carrier update on my Softbank iPhone.
What version of the OS does it say you're running?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Ganguro King posted:

I got a carrier update on my softbank iPhone the other day. It said it just added free access to more public wifi spots though.

I don't know that I would call that a carrier update, what they did was send you a link to download a Profile that stores with Wifi passwords.
It's for enterprise customers so they can easily do settings across many devices without individually setting each one up.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Does anyone's iPhone iOS 5 earthquake warning system ever go off?
Mine went off once in the middle the night for an earthquake that woke me up, but for example it didn't go off today a few hours ago.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/6124146/

Au iPhone getting iMessage and Facetime March of next year.
I didn't realize you couldn't use the visual voicemail either (no word on that). I pity the phoo that bought an Au iPhone.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Ganguro King posted:

Speaking of iPhones, has anyone on Softbank had their SMS ringtones messed up lately? Mine sound like it is playing the ringtone a bunch of times in rapid succession and cutting itself off. Vibrator goes crazy too.

Yea, sometimes when I get a notification (mostly iMessage) it goes off like 4 times, often before it completes the first notification.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

It's not like they kept it secret, every phoo who went with au knew that there was no iMessage or Facetime support yet anyway. Of course, no pity is required if that phoo likes Youtube!

It's a pain in the rear end to do group conversations with a phoo that doesn't have iMessage when everyone else does that's phoo-sure.

Yes, the Softbank data network sucks. Their solution is to put wifi everywhere. It's alright but the goddamn login screen popping up every time I walk in to a store is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

How does the SoftBank one work? Do you have to actually login every time?

KDDI one had me download some settings pack, which I guess contained WPA2 passwords and such since it automatically connects now. Pretty useful but the iPhone seems to suck at Wifi/3G handoff -- if I lose the wifi while sending an email for example it just craps out, rather than having 3G pickup where wifi left off.

Once you download the profile, when it comes in the area of a hotspot it connects using standard WEP security. The problem is though that it then uses a web based authentication based on your Softbank account too which means a browser window pops up for a second showing the Softbank logo etc which stops you from doing whatever you were doing.

I don't know that it cuts of email sending though; that sounds more like an iPhone problem then a Wifi problem.

• Locked thread