Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think Tecman should make every OP in Games from now on out. Seriously, that's astounding!

I don't think I have a computer, so I haven't been anywhere near the leak, but seeing as I've already played it once, I think I can manage.

But why does it have to take so long until August?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Jose posted:

This is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't completed the leak.

The absolute best way to beat the first boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe2Jlq4FiE&feature=related

Seriously? SERIOUSLY!?

Barrett kicked my rear end on normal. No matter what I did, he beat me. 10 times. In the end, I had to nudge the difficulty down to Easy, just to get him.
On the other hand; I will do this when the game is released. It will sooth my soul.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Honestly, I was more bothered by the youtube tag 'fail' than I was with that dude. I only noticed him in the end because I kept looking for something out of place.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Quasipox posted:

So while checking out the site, I noticed it listed the Augmented Edition as coming with the soundtrack on a bonus disc. Have they said whether it will be transferable or anything? I'd love to have it on my phone.

I talked with a PR guy, who was quite sure that it should be transferable.
And it really should be. I was quite annoyed when the soundtrack included in the Assassin's Creed II box was only playable by DVD-player.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Tecman posted:

Yeah, digital copies should be transferrable just fine. It's just that retail keys apparently aren't, and anybody who regularely imports games from the UK into mainland Europe due to huge pricing differences / unavailability of the product in local retail is kiiiiinda pissed right now.

This is, just to be clear, only something that affects PC-versions, right?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Jut posted:

DNF on the 360 took anything between 30 and 40 seconds to load.

I tolerated those waiting times. If only the game had had more than one track that played during loading:argh:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

a handsome crab posted:

I told myself that I'd be going on a media blackout pretty much until the game was released, but after contributing to the contest and realising that its released in Europe on the 26th I'm eyeing up Invisible War. I know from the last time I tried to play IW it was pretty disappointing, but does anyone know if any part of IWs story/background has crept into DXHR (and maybe make it worth playing?)

I'm pretty sure that there are minimal story ties between Human Revolution and Invisible War.

That said, play Invisible War in any case. It's a poo poo Deus Ex, but an amusing and entertaining game.
I don't think it's bad enough to warrant the reputation it has got. But compared to the original, it's kinda lovely.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

Also, the "best" ending to Invisible War...

Though the Omar was slightly scary motherfuckers, I found the best ending of Invisible War to be the Omar endning. While humanity had finally blasted themselves into bits with nuclear weapons and stuff like that, the Omar would prosper and spread out from Earth.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Edit: I hope in a sequel they reveal the name in J.C.'s initials.

"Jesus Christ, Denton!"

e:f;b.
But at least I had a video too:smuggo:

Iacen fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 21, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Tecman posted:

Unfortunately it's just visual comparison, there's no mention on how the game runs, the control schemes or how long the loading times are. :(

The PS3-version seems a bit... washed out? I like the slightly darker Xbox shots (which is lucky, as it's the version I've preordered!)

My experience with the Xbox version, is that the control felt responsive enough, the game ran nicely, while the loading times were slightly long. Not DNF long, but you did notice them. But console games do have some loading times, so they were not out of the ordinary.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

drat I hoped my review copy would come today. It didn't, though, so I'm taking a break from this thread. Looking forward to crunch through a couple of hundred pages in a few days!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

So I just skipped 350 pages, so forgive me if this has been mentioned at all before. But Eurogamer had this story today:

Eurogamer posted:

Deus Ex movie based on Human Revolution signed by CBS Films
There is to be a Deus Ex movie based on the recent Human Revolution reboot of the series.

CBS Films has secured the rights to adapt it, according to Variety, and will work closely with Eidos Montreal on the adaptation.

"As the millions of fans who have played the Deus Ex games for more than a decade will tell you, these games catapult you into a universe that is stimulating, engaging and relevant," Square Enix Europe president and CEO Phil Rogers commented.

"We're firm believers in building strong partnerships, and so we're thrilled to be working with CBS Films on bringing the unique Deus Ex experience to the big-screen."

Roy Lee, executive producer of The Departed, and Adrian Askarieh - a film producer who's landed other Eidos/Square Enix film rights - are linked to the movie as producers.

CBS Films bods John P. Middleton (not sure who he is), Maria Faillace and Alex Gino will oversee the project.

Question is, who will play the game's hero, Adam Jensen?
Source

This isn't the first time there's been talk of a Deus Ex movie, but in these times, it might just be the most concrete thing. Of course, they should just cast Elias Toufexis as Adam. He can get make up for the appearance and his voice is, well, Adam's.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Edit: ^^^ drat you :argh:

Tecman posted:

I... honestly don't know how to react to this news. :stare:

What a shame.

But the story of the Tyrants could be fun. The events of the book could actually fit into a movie.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 10, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I always get the Typhoon as soon as possible, just to avoid boss battles. I can complete those in a maximum of five minutes, so I can get back to the main game.
Boxguards are also easily bypassed with that.
It's a sound investment, just to get by those bosses.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Gils posted:

Cloak is useful for all playstyles, since you can bypass laser alarms,

Those aren't a problem as long as you have the stun-gun. Just shoot the laser emitter and the charge disables the laser for a while.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Meh, I like that developers are 'pandering' to us users of those 'ancient' consoles. Dues Ex: HR is an awesome game and apart from the lack of keyboard interface found in Deus Ex, I didn't feel I missed anything playing on Xbox.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Man oh man am I having a hard time saving Malik. I think I'm on like the 10th try. I put it down yesterday and took a diversion with Saints Row just to think about how to angle it. Most of my points are in the hacking/stealth section and I don't have a cloak so its basically try to run it real fast with the stun gun each time. I'm never quite fast enough though. :(

Way I did it was shooting some of the standard soldiers first, the ones in the buildings, using the building behind the crashsite. (I really hope this is vague enough, to avoid spoilers!)
Then, having done that, run into the fray and hit the boxguard and heavies with tons of Typhoons, remebering to heal and pop candy when necessary.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Woozy posted:

It absolutely applied to Invisible War. The developers of IW have admitted that going multiplatform hurt the experience for the end user on both systems and nearly buried the franchise. IW is sort of the textbook example of the ruinous effects the Xbox had on PC gaming in terms trying to blur the line between PC and console and ultimately succeeding only in lowering the bar for everyone.

While having to deal with the Xbox's hardware probably didn't help, you can't blame consoles on how IW turned out. They had techical problems, the programmer who had rewritten the engine (and hadn't documented it) left, and so on and so on. This is quite interesting, Harvey Smith doing a post mortem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, seriously. Everything went from shade of blue to shade of gold.

One thing I will say, the whole Praxis upgrade system actually does work out better than the original system in DX1. People might bitch about the lack of skills, but really, what purpose did they serve? Your gun was inaccurate as poo poo until you pumped it full of points, and some skills were worthless like Swimming. HR streamlined it in a such a way as to still be interesting while not being hamstrung, unlike IW which just felt lovely and bad. It's not a perfect system, but it's a step in the right direction, I think, though the explanation that you already had all that poo poo installed on you and you were unlocking it was a bit trite... considering the pacing of the game, though, forcing you to go to the clinic regularly to upgrade would have been pretty dick, though.

Black Market augs ould have been awesome. Some crude but powerful or downright lethal augs for the Jensen who embraces his nature as psycho cyborg could have been a neat thing.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Holy crap!

But I've been meaning to ask you, Tecman, do you know how well HR sold? Because I'd love a new DE game from these guys (a little dream is the original remade in the HR engine), but it would depend on whether Square Enix thought it was profitable enough.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

A Gunther game could work!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I'd also love a remake of the original DE, which could include things that Warren Spector and Co had wanted to add, but lacked for time; Like showing off Page's social incompetence, or giving Paul more screen time with JC.

The moon base or the raid to free 2,000 prisoners from a FEMA camp would be fantastic too. A Deus Ex with all the cut content could be really neat.
And I want to visit Hong Kong in current gen graphics:allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the credits are nice, but so far I've never felt a need to use either weapon. I alsways play as a sneaky, stealth dude, which rules out the shotgun. And as I like to use only the stungun, that more or less makes the rifle completely superfluous.

Edit: That said, whatever thing included the AUD has been my savior. The AUD has made me much more adventurous and willing to explore, even if it takes a bit out of the challenge.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

That is so incredibly cool I can't describe it! That so nice for him, to regain that amount of sensitivity!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Dice Dice Baby posted:

and horrible architecture (when you get to France it is particularly bad)

Sure, but when you hit Paris you get to hear the Cathedral theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_ih1V9ZP8
And I'd say it outweighs much of the otherwise iffy areas.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Omarr Player Character confirmed.

e; I would actually play the poo poo out of something like that, especially if it was closer to the original design for Revolution. Aug yourself up and become an unstoppable, mechanised bad rear end? Enjoy your newfound social stigmatization and sociopathy. :v:

I quite liked IW, but the Omar was by far the best thing in it. More radical augmentations would be cool, perhaps coupled with the Social Interaction module. Got a Skul gun? That might make conversations harder.

Ideally, the next game shouldn't be shackled like HR was. Where HR more or less had to end in a certain way, I hope a new game gets to carve its own path, without having to fear about upsetting oO~~CANON~~Oo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, I already killed the bosses without firing a single bullet. The Typhoon doesn't use bullets. :smug:

This man knows what's up.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

The Kins posted:

The feature list rundown that was sent out alongside it announces the release date as... 2014???? :stonk:

Do you have a link for that? Because a 2014 release sound ridiculous!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

And Saxon had an encounter with Gunther Hermann! Having to battle a younger, less augmented Gunther would be neat as hell.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Didn't Invisible War have a book or something, where the Janitor of UNATCO actually says he's messing with Gunther's soda machine on purpose? I hope you can be the cause of this :allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Whoever said that this makes the April's fool thing look good, was spot on. At least you could laugh a bit about it. This is just :smith:

Seriously, Eidos: You don't really get what to hype and tease, and what not to.
For example: You don't hype a joke. That's wrong.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Somewhere, I saw a comment from a guy, who wished this game came to the PS Vita. And you know what? I think I would probably agree with him. Had this thing been released on a handheld console, in stead of a tablet, I would have been much more positive. In fact, I would have been all over a Deus Ex for Vita.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Also, I wasn't planning on getting this until a sale, but then I checked their website and saw New Game+ as an addition to the DC. I'm now getting this Day 1.

Being able to play through the game as a roided out, dangerous angel of death will break the game and be loving AWESOME.

How will this Director's Edition thing work on console, anyone know? Will it be a download or do I have to get the entire package?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Regarding the music in HR, I was just sad that the original theme wasn't used (Apart from the bit at the ending).
I liked how the theme for IW used the theme, but adapted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86C-qIft94

I think way earlier in this thread, someone (Tecman?) posted a video where he had spliced the Deus Ex theme into the Icarus theme. I really liked that and would have been really excited for that nod.

Other than that, I liked the soundtrack in HR but apart from the Icarus theme, I really can't remember any specific tracks.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Sugary Carnival posted:

It's cool to see another DX book, not so cool that it's such a limited release.

Yeah, I don't know why they do this. I have absolutely no intention of signing up on their special store, just to get a book. Put that poo poo on Kindle or something. I'd think that the larger the audience, the better, right?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

Is it really that hard to believe he swam over to the installation and climbed up some, let's say, ladders?

I honestly don't have any problem with how that cutscene plays out. But the thought of Jensen swimming, or even floating, is pretty goddamn funny.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I'm really excited about this. Pictures looks great, and for once, Square-Enix gave me something I had asked for.

I'm worried about Tecman. Did he die from adrenaline induced heart attack or what?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I wonder if that metallic looking stuff covering Jensen in the end is nanomaghine based. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Sarif or Unatco or whatever decides that Jensen's affinity with augs could extend to nano varieties to.

Also, I want to work with Manderley and a young Gunther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

showers deal emp damage and kill people

I think you can actually kill that Billy character, if you can manage to nudge her into the shower.

• Locked thread