Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011
I never even played the original Deus Ex past Liberty Island, but I'll be getting HR based on this OP alone.

I also really dig all that concept art, the futuristic Elizabethan era fashion is just an incredible design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Tell them that the way they've animated the 1st person head bobbing effect when Adam runs is horrible and makes people sick. Then ask them if they're going to include an option to turn it off.

I've yet to see head bobbing in games that isn't completely terrible. Even the kind that doesn't give people motion sickness is usually nothing like what happens with your field of vision when you move in the real world.

So essentially, the best way to generate a natural sense of motion would be to not use head bobbing at all? Makes sense to me.
vvvvv

Space Cadet Glow fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 19, 2011

Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011
What kind of bugs me about the way augmentation has been portrayed in the trailers so far is that I really don't see the motivation a person outside of the military or law enforcement could have for getting, say, robot legs or arms. What would you use these for? Most professions that still require a great deal physical strength are menial tasks to begin with, and augmentations are apparently prohibitively expensive to large parts of society in the Deus Ex scenario.

The only thing they might affect in the average person's life would probably be sports, like that guy throwing a frisbee in the trailer. But then again, why would you do any sports at all once you're augmented? Sports are all about improving on your body. No need to lift weights anymore once your arms are robotic anyway.

Now, I can see implants that improve on intelligence, cognition and perception might create new stratification in society, but fake arms and legs that affect no important part of everyday life in the western world and make you a drug addict to boot? I don't see how these would be an advantage in the job market.

Then again, brain implants alone don't look cool in video games, so whatever.

Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's probably a huge market towards people that have lost function of limbs, or lost limbs entirely either due to deforminities, freak accidents, etc.

Yes, I should have said "outside of people in the military, law enforcement and those whose original fleshlimbs don't work anymore". The latter isn't what all these ominous trailers are about though.

On the topic of robolegs, they actually seem kinda neat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ0iMulicgg

On a (marginally) less nerdy note, I've just reinstalled the original Deus Ex. Maybe I can force myself to suffer through Liberty Island this time.

• Locked thread