Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tecman posted:

PRE-ORDER PICTURES:

This thing sure looks a lot like one of Aquapac's older products. I had one for my Kindle way back and it looked exactly like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Professor Latency posted:

I can't wait for this stuff to be real. That's why I love this universe, it's totally plausible in the near future for this exact situation to happen.

It's virtually plausible now. But this sort of thing is going to be so expensive that it will be out of the common man's hands for at least the next 100 years. Technical innovation will continue to slow down as there's no profit to be made from faster innovation. We went from first powered flight ever, to the moon, in 60 years. In the 40 since then..... well, there's a whole lot of achievements to unlock out there. So yay us..... I guess.

:smith:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

xutech posted:

The idea of humans being punished for altering themselves seems to me to be an extension of magical thinking.

Humans are already punished for altering themselves though, for having tattoos. Tattoos may be more accepted than ever, but a huge segment of the population still looks down on those with tattoos, and more importantly, there's still a lot of jobs out there you can't get if you have visible tattoos. Tattoos have been around forever as well, so if we still look down on them in a sense after all this time, voluntary limb replacement may not go down well.

It's one thing when a vet gets his arm blown off and gets a replacement, another when some dude is basically "I wanted new arms that were stronger and could light a barbecue on command. Also, phantom whack-off potential."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Valen posted:

Things like art books and such are generally PDFs or sometimes a mass of JPGs. I'd imagine the soundtrack will be a bunch of MP3s and the movies and storyboards will be some MP4 or AVI files. It'll probably all show up in some directory called "Extras" or something of that sort in the games install directory.

And this is exactly how sad and pathetic Collectors Editions have become.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh really? :colbert:

Yes, really. Just like every "statue" that comes with a game, the nice pics are all taken with the production samples that someone spent hours, if not days painting. The statues that come with the game, they're made of PVC, and the paint work will likely be south of adequate. Save your cash and buy a McFarlane Dragons action figure, which cost about $15 and will doubtlessly be higher quality than the "statue" you get with Skyrim.

Hell, did anyone see those bookends they put in the MK4 collectors edition? Those things were ugly as poo poo and the quality was abysmal.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jarate posted:

I truly hope this game as as long and as in-depth as its namesake demands. I'd love to dedicate weeks, even years to this game...

How are you going to stretch 15 to 20 hours of game over several years?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Okay, which is the superior platform? George Foreman Grill, or the Slap Chop?

Debate, angrily.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arthe Xavier posted:

This is the first game I have pre-ordered via Steam. When do games usually enter the pre-load -state?

Oh, and what would a man have to do in order to get augmented in this thread? That tag is just way too awesome ( and yeah, I'd like to get rid of Serious Sam's Club - a tag which used to be about Duke Nukem Forever ).

There's no standard for preloads. Some preload a week ahead, some a few days, and some never preload.

And if you want to get augmented, you pay for a new avatar that includes the tag.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jenova Project posted:

Why don't we have this in America? Don't give me that "We didn't ask for this" poo poo, I want pies full of meats!

There are. No hidden name either. Meat pies, frozen foods section, find 'em anywhere.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jenova Project posted:

Unless you mean chicken pot pies...

Yeah, those things. Chicken/Beef Pot Pie is a meat pie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jarate posted:

How's the manual? ;) It's rather silly, but I miss games with thick loving full-color manuals. I know this won't have much, but if they at least put some effort into that, I know I'll be happy.

DXHR Manual

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They charge when they ship.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

the_Vandal posted:

So does the game have any DX 10 or 11 effects? Or is it just DX9?

Dear god, you just reminded me what a moronic shitstorm there will be if it doesn't use DX11. Any top tier PC game that comes out these days, if it doesn't use DX11, the fanbase acts like the game sexually assaulted their grandmother.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hostile Rabbi posted:

The leak had an option to render with DX9 or DX11. There were options for tessellation (for sure) and SSAO (I think).

Your grandmothers vaginas are safe, gentlemen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Euphoriaphone posted:

How screwed will I be plot-wise without playing the original?

Considering Human Revolution is a prequel to the first two DX games, probably not screwed at all.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

OSheaman posted:

Pacific Daylight Time? Who fuckin lives in California? :rolleye:

One half of the United States. The other half live in New York. There's been unconfirmed reports of small settlements of nomads and roving bands of cannibals in the vast tundra between those two states, but everyone knows that's just a myth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I saw an ad in-game for Final Fantasy 27 (or whatever number), and I wasn't sure if that was a joke or an actual advertisement for a real FF game.

Also, drat, quite a way to start the game where if you dick around too long, all the hostages die. Pretty heavy stuff to drop on the player as soon as the main game starts. I didn't think anything was going to happen, since virtually every game ever will pester you at times to hurry up, but nothing ever comes of it no matter how long you take. Maybe they should have kept that sort of consequence for a little later in the game, once you know dicking around can have actual consequences in this game. Maybe have the first mission go "Get to the chopper! You've taken too much time and now the hostages dinners will be cold by the time you inevitably rescue them."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Methodis posted:

Are the anti-aliasing options on PC in order from least system intensive to most? Wondering the same with Shadows also.

No. Edge Detect is kind of a lovely, blur based AA. The FXAA options are NVidia's new post-process AA filter, but it also works on ATI hardware. MLAA is ATI's post-process AA filter. Supposedly it only works on ATI hardware, which I have, so I couldn't tell you if that option is greyed out or not with NVidia hardware present.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

tooooooo bad posted:

Does the pc version have gamepad support?

Unclean beast! Don't bring your vile gamepad harlotry in here, you damned servant of the dark lords!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Senator Woofington posted:

As far as I can tell, no. I was wondering this too.

I can't say for sure either, but in the first Deus Ex enemies could see a targeting laser, so this game may model that as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh come on, I played PC games exclusively for like a decade straight and I didn't know that.

A whole decade?!? Wow, I guess we should call you Old Man DOS.

Seriously though, Dopefish is still pretty obscure. Unless you played a small handful of developers games, it would be pretty easy to completely miss the reference.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coyo7e posted:

Maybe they know better than to notice...

It's a little odd though how the non-lethal takedown is the silent option, and yet is quite noisy, and a lethal takedown is the noisy option, and yet could be done quietly. With with the non-lethal, you're breaking bones, the guy groans and hits the floor loudly. With lethal, if he'd just grab the buy over the mouth and then shove one of his blades through the ribs into the heart, and then slowly lowered him to the floor, it would be pretty drat quiet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coyo7e posted:

Agreed with your logic however, it'd be impossible to do a full-KO full-stealth ru if it didn't work like that for stealth.

It's kinda dumb that kills are so noisy though, IMHO.

I have to admit though, it's pretty drat hilarious when you practically beat a man to death, and another guy 2 feet away that you could see in the takedown custscene is completely unaware.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FordPRefectLL posted:

I wonder what I am doing in the Deus Ex future.

Greasel chow.

Rest in peace, big FordPrizza.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

deepshock posted:

What sense does that make? If the developers are fundamentally opposed to having a game like this windowed, why even pretend like there's some opportunity? Why force it fullscreen in the first place? It isn't killing my enjoyment of the game but it makes negative sense to me and any explanation would be welcome.

Having a setting in the registry or an ini file is hardly pretending that option is available. Look at any game built on the Unreal engine; a decent portion of settings in the ini file have no use for whatever game is installed. It's just a list of potential settings, some of which are used in X game, others are used in Y game.

This game is no different. It uses a pre-made engine, the Crystal Engine made by Crystal Dynamics (as seen in some Tomb Raider games), and many options that may be present may have no use for this game. Of all the things the coders need to do, stripping out unneeded option strings from the registry or an ini file is pretty low on the list, considering the game will automatically ignore whatever it's isn't designed to take advantage of.

gibbed posted:

http://mod.gib.me/deusex3/no-intro.zip

Removes all intro screens except the initial copyright screen (and you can skip this one by pressing Mouse1).

This sounds awesome, but the link doesn't seem to be working.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 25, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Leovinus posted:

I have literally no idea whether or not you're serious.

Imagine four cutscenes at the end of the game. Say a direct copy of the cutscene nearest the end of the game is sent to the back of the line of cutscenes and takes the place of the first cutscene. The formerly first cutscene becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth you don't bother to watch.

Deus Ex works the same way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SpazmasterX posted:

Has a list of Praxis Kit locations been compiled yet? They must be really well hidden because I've only found two at all. One at the bottom of the elevator shaft in Hengsha Court Gardens after the elevator moves and one in a desk drawer in the office area of Picus.

You missed the most obvious one, which was in the first mission at the warehouse. It's directly in front of you as you get off an elevator, and then two steps past it, you get a prompt saying "Tutorial: Praxis Points. Press Tab to view".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zikan posted:

There is also one in an random apartment in Detroit! It's behind a level 5 lock but there is a computer that you can hack nearby with the code.

The one random thing I don't like in this game is that there's several datapads that are just lying under cardboard boxes. So unless you're constantly going Batman with your x-ray vision, or lifting up every cardboard box in the game, there's several that are easily missable.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chakron posted:

I thought it was a fairly common issue? 30-45 seconds, which is somewhat long.

Pretty much. Anything longer than 5 seconds is considered a long load these days.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dominoes posted:

This game is fantastic. I really appreciate how the developers allowed options to make the game gritty and challenging.

Things I'm surprised to see in Deus Ex Human Revolution that are awesome:
-Disabling quest markers on screen and in radar
-Disabling reticule
-A difficulty setting that forces you to play carefully and use your resources.
-Manual inventory management
-Disabling the takedown/cover popups
-Toggles for crouch and sights
-Disable auto-highlight

Changes over Deus Ex I really appreciate:
-Lots of interactive civilians
-Powerful weapon and explosion sounds and feel
-Persuasion system (although I'd like an option to disable the "alpha/beta/omega" hints
-Iron sights

Things I don't like
-The map feels like cheating. I'm in the air about the radar.

I'm very impressed.

I was totally surprised to see an honest to goodness FOV slider. That's like.... like finding the holy grail. How many games over the years have had a dedicated FOV slide? I bet you could count them on one hand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, did anyone else notice that Jensen has a nice floral pattern on the shoulders of his jacket?

Edit: Edited for size.

That fits in with the neo-renaissance vibe they were really pushing at the start of the development. I know they scaled back on that as time went on, but it's still oddly inconsistent in the final game. Some characters like the Picus news lady, and your doctor friend at the beginning of the game are definitely sporting some neo-renaissance inspired togs, but then a lot of character are just wearing clothes that basically like what people wear these days.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
One thing I hope they fix is the responsiveness in the map screen. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm in there, it takes way too many drags of the mouse to scroll around to different locations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Am I missing something or is not possible to hack a computer or keypad once you've used a legit login/pass on it? If so, it seems like hacking is the only way to go, assuming you can, since otherwise you'd miss out on the XP and any bonuses you find in the directories.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gibbed posted:

I am retarded and posted the wrong link for the no-intro. It's http://mod.gib.me/deusex3/no-intro.7z.

Check your PM's gibbed. Something's waiting for you.....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MrLonghair posted:

Talk better to the guy at the desk. I believe it was Plead Absolve Plead Absolve to get the Silver Tongue reward.

Not necessarily. If you reload and retry the conversations where you can sway people, the conversations will actually change and answers that may have worked won't work the next time. Most people won't even notice this until a second playthrough, but kudos to the devs for doing this.

I noticed it myself last night when I was talking to Sarif about that thing, and I had the social aug. I screwed up one of the responses and my rating with him dropped, so I reloaded. The next time though, I used the same answers as I did before, except this time an answer that had previously worked provoked a rebuke from Sarif. It's not just that the correct answer changes, but the actual dialog lines are different as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Aphrodite posted:

Leads to a sniper rifle.

Wait, does that somehow lead to the sniper rifle on the roof of the gas-station, or a totally different sniper rifle? Were there two shooters during the rally?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Luigi Thirty posted:

From looking at all the Detroit apartment buildings it looks like Ikea won the Franchise Wars and now all furniture stores are Ikea.

Also, every room is cluttered as poo poo.

I know it adds to the realism when there's little bits and bobs all over the place, but c'mon, it's like everyone in the game is a hoarder with no place to put anything except in big stacks on the floor.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

Ah, gotcha. I hadn't noticed that.

It kind of makes sense. I mean, you can't see what you're typing if the keyboard is above you!

You look at your keyboard when you type? Ugh, how gauche.

Seriously though, the whole standing while hacking thing is kind of a pain in the rear end. Although it does lead to hilarious cardboard box towers arranged around the computer you want to hack at times. I was doing that in the main police station room until I found the datapad with everyones login on it.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 28, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

This is so frustrating. Gamestop has actually run it down the pipeline that employees should "sell it" as an FPS; when I bought it, I got the loving "anything you wanna pre-order? Are you sure?" spiel, which included "Call of Duty?" I know these guys are mostly just normal dudes who are stuck in a job that requires you to extort people, so I politely said "I don't really like FPS games", to which he said "You know this game is an FPS, right?"

Right. And so is loving New Vegas, right, rear end in a top hat? How stupid does a corporation have to be to think that pushing this game as an FPS is going to help matters? Your average FPS fan will hate it, because there's no online, and you can go hours on end without even getting into a firefight.

I've seen comments on reviews that explicitly say "this is a pretty bad FPS". Maybe because it isn't one, rear end in a top hat!

I'm just going to straight up be rude as poo poo to Gamestop employees from now on, gently caress it. Next time I get asked if I want to preorder something that doesn't even have a release date yet or is more than a month away, I'm going to loudly and cheerfully say "Did you know, Gamestop pushes pre-orders because every year a surprising amount of people put $5 down on a game and then forget they did, and Gamestop pockets the cash?" Or "Do you guys work on commission?" What are they going to do, kick me out of the store? Oh poo poo, I might have to go 2 blocks away to another store that sells games!

I guess that ended up being a bit of a tangent but Christ.

Don't sink to their level. Just ignore their poo poo, complete your purchase, and leave with some class. As soon as you start making a stink in the store, you become that guy that other customers start edging away from and try not to make eye contact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

KillerBunny posted:

Did anyone else catch the very subtle reference to recent Canadian politics? Near the very end of the game, on a computer or pocket secretary in Panchea, you can find an email regarding Prime Minister (Justin, presumably) Trudeau of Canada.

There's quite a few references to Canada in the game. Most of them basically boil down to "Canada=Good, America=Bad". Sounds like some people on the developers team are fitting well into the stereotype of the canadian inferiority complex.

Sometimes my country annoys the poo poo out of me.

• Locked thread