Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

That is one hell of an OP, and I know, because I'm in it. ;p

Incidentally, this is also looking to be one hell of a game. Still can't believe that it's only a month or so away, feels like I've been waiting forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

From what i've played of the leak, DX:HR surpasses Alpha Protocol in every aspect. This is the game that AP wishes it was. That game was such a failure, but DX:HR rights all of those wrongs and just does so much right.

Meanwhile AP is the game that Dragon Age 2 wishes it was, so the circle continues.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

So, uh, what ever became of that ill-advised "Free trip to Detroit" contest?

It turns out that nobody asked for this.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

On the other hand, a shorter game can also mean more reactivity. I mean, Alpha Protocol takes like 6 hours to play through, but you can play it through multiple times and see wildly different stuff; I'll take that over an 80 hour epic RPG any day.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Zorak posted:

Man, you guys think you have it bad? I could technically play the game today, except I have suddenly and miraculously developed an eye infection that makes me unable to look at the computer for an extended period of time until it heals.

Alas.

Pop on some sunglasses, play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I saw an ad in-game for Final Fantasy 27 (or whatever number), and I wasn't sure if that was a joke or an actual advertisement for a real FF game.

Also, drat, quite a way to start the game where if you dick around too long, all the hostages die. Pretty heavy stuff to drop on the player as soon as the main game starts. I didn't think anything was going to happen, since virtually every game ever will pester you at times to hurry up, but nothing ever comes of it no matter how long you take. Maybe they should have kept that sort of consequence for a little later in the game, once you know dicking around can have actual consequences in this game. Maybe have the first mission go "Get to the chopper! You've taken too much time and now the hostages dinners will be cold by the time you inevitably rescue them."

Nah. I actually absolutely love this. Sets the tone right off the bat. Way better to do it early than have it happen at the end of the game after you've spent the whole time not having to worry about it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It makes me so happy that you can pick up turrets with the strength aug. That came as a complete shock and made me grin like an idiot the first time I put one of the pesky things in the time-out corner.

This is only true if by time-out corner, you mean hacking it, setting it to shoot at your enemies, and then carrying it into a room full of them.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Supernorn posted:

I carried it all the way through the first mission right up to where you face Sanders. My thinking was that I could use it to do my 'negotiating' for me, but sadly you can't bring it into the room. :colbert:

Man, now I'm incredibly disappointed this doesn't work. "Got a package for you".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I've never played a Deus Ex game and I'm really used to the Half Life 2 and Bioshock kind of FPSes where you can pick how you fight but the path you follow is pretty much set and I feel completely overwhelmed by this game. I'm so used to at least understanding a oath that being given none at all pretty much has me lost after the tutorial missions. This is a good thing right? :ohdear:

Kids these days, man.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ulio posted:

Why does every computer have the same screen saver or OS?

Also, Detroit of the future looks like a huge piece of poo poo. It must be one of the most ugliest cities ever made in a game?

Sounds like somebody's never actually been to Detroit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

The one little thing I really loved about the world of DX2 was the interactive holograms of the pop star that people talk to and especially the reveal that they're being spied on through them.

Even better was Meeting the real pop star the holograms are based on, finding out she's a horrible person, killing her, and then telling the holograms about it.

Dan Didio posted:

Plus, I always loved the fact that the default gender for Alex was female. It's the little things that count sometimes.

Gotta agree with this, the one thing that I'm missing from Human Revolution is the ability to pick genders for Jensen. Not that I don't like the character or anything, but in a perfect world, every game would give you the option. This has nothing to do with the fact that I want my character to be as much like The Major as possible, mind you.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Counterpoint: As Mass Effect shows, a gender-choice option is generally ignored by the player base (what is it, 80% chose MaleShep?) and could strongly be argued as an utter waste of resources.

Counter-Counterpoint; As Mass Effect 2 shows, only about 50% of the people who played Mass Effect 2 actually finished Mass Effect 2, so by that same logic, the entire game was an utter waste of resources. Doesn't mean that more content isn't cool for the people who's like to see it. And like I said, it's a perfect world thing, where everything's sunshine and rainbows, and female protagonists in video games aren't a huge minority anyway.

Cardboard Box posted:

Picking a gender? And imply lesbianism? Why, I never!

"Dammit, Pritchard, we're just good friends, lay off!"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Creepy Goat posted:

Yeah, you can pull off all kinds of Bond villian speech combo breakers in Alpha Protocol too. It's so satisfying :allears:.

loving haaair.

There's nothing more satisfying than interrupting some villain's Bond speech with a full-on tirade where you systematically break down all the ways in which they are an rear end in a top hat, and then shoot them in the face.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ymgve posted:

Whatever you do, don't be like me and drag a rocket launcher around for half the game, then end up realizing you didn't even use it once.

I should probably ditch that tranq rifle now that I have all these other awesome guns. But it was my very first weapon, and I have a sentimental attachment to it now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

You can use unsilenced gunfire on the last guy in the area, for all the good that does.

Sneak through the entire mission, taking out everyone with stealth takedowns, then track down the last remaining bad guy and shoot a missile at him.

(Note, I do not know if this actually works, but on my next runthrough, "rear end in a top hat Sociopath Psycho Jensen, I'm at least giving it a try.)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

Cool, thanks. This part just got much easier, then.

Yeah, feel free to chow down on energy bars and go all Oldboy on those guys.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I kind of wish melee combat was more involved because of those end sections. I wanted to have a big old brawl like in Arkham Asylum instead of just hitting a button and watching a canned animation over and over again.

My personal favorite way to do it would probably be something like in Peace Walker for the PSP; you can do CQC takedowns on a dude, and then if there's anybody else within range, like a couple feet or so, a button prompt will come up, and if you hit it in time, you'll take that guy down too, so you can end up taking out a whole patrol in one swift motion assuming your reflexes and timing are good. So instead of just upgrading it to two enemies, something like "You can take out a big group of enemies in one smooth motion, but it's super risky and if you gently caress up, you're exposed in a big group of bad guys".

But then there's no reason to have the Typhoon, I guess.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I much prefer zapping the bosses with my stun gun until they fall over dead. I'm not even spoiling that, because I was so amazed at how much easier it was on my non-violent Pacifist playthrough than when I was going at them with machine guns and explosives.

Zap. Zap. Zap. Zap. Win.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So, Deus Ex and Human Revolution spoiler/goofy theory.

I like to imagine that Janice Reed, Manderley's secretary, is the daughter of Megan Reed, who put her there to keep tabs on JC. She used Adam's DNA as the father to make a test tube baby, which is why Janice has her father's inclination for office theft.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Just as one example if you plunged the world into a new Dark Age by destroying Area 51 you watched JC escape Area 51 and Tong commentate the world going dark. The endings in DEHR are just spliced together stock video with commentary by Adam which while extremely well written and thoughtful feel like a bit of an anti-climax, I didn't really feel like the game ended until Bob and Megan finished talking but that was just a lead into Deus Ex 1. It wasn't a hollow ending but it just felt...off I guess?

Yeah, the game doesn't really feel like it ends. It has the climax, and an epilogue monologue from Jensen, but it doesn't feel like it actually ends. it's like they forgot to add the part where the story actually wraps up and just went ahead to the epilogue.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Are you talking about the first boss? If so, there's plenty of equipment inside that room if you're agile, and unless you've used it on something you can just take the elevator back and go fetch the rocket launcher in the cage next to where the big robot was.

Likewise, I had a good bit of luck with the stun gun, and if you don't have that, start the fight by running behind the column to your right. Now turn around and you'll see gas canisters; pick them up and throw them both at the boss to do damage and stun him. Then run around the room looking for more stuff; you can stunlock and kill him using just the gas and explosive canisters scattered around the room. It's honestly way easier than actually fighting him. The stun gun is absolutely the best, though. Beat him in less than ten seconds, and he literally couldn't move the entire time.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

I find it interesting that everyone latches on to "Women never fail to underestimate men" when it's just a tit-for-tat return of Zhao's "Men never fail to underestimate women" just hours before...

Yeah, I thought it was kind of a nice callback. Especially because as Jensen's being all smug and saying it, he's unaware that he's about to get punched in the face.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

perianwyr posted:

But not necessarily anatomically correct, in this case.

"Men like us, we never get back the things we love"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So, I posted this in SA-Mart too, but it could get exposure in here as well, but I'm looking to buy a case and manual for the PS3 version of HR, if anyone would want to make a bit of money since the game's so good you'll never need to put it away.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3436832

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

keefin and kel posted:

Reported for trolling. Congratulations, you are the biggest rear end in a top hat I've ever seen.

You're going to do well here, I can tell.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Popular Human posted:

By the way, what the hell is in that room right near the end of the game that's full of leaking gas canisters, right next to the game's final hallway? Anything good?

As I recall, nothing spectacular aside from a security terminal that will let you turn a turret on the guys on the catwalk.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Soho Joe posted:

I was in a sewer and I punched a guy during my non-lethal run. He fell into the electrified poo and died :ohdear: Will this count against me?

From what I recall, yes. Hope you've got a save from before that. If you head up the ladder leading to the police station entrance right next to the bomb, there's a breaker box that turns off that electricity.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

reflir posted:

Just got Pacifist, but not Foxiest of Hounds and I can't figure out why :argh:. There should really be some menu that tracks number of alarms triggered because this is loving stupid

Also with the typhoon and invisibility augs this game is really really really easy, on any difficulty.

I absolutely agree. Or even an aug that allows you to detect when an alarm has been raised, that'd be baller.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

perianwyr posted:

That mention of Adam dancing made me hope, for a moment, that I had missed a secret dance party ending. Have we missed a secret dance party ending? Oh, God, I hope we have simply missed a secret dance party ending. Maybe they can put one in with Missing Link.

I got your dance party ending right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

If you don't mind abusing a bug, if you mash your takedown button while he's in the middle of his jumping over a wall animation and you're close enough, you can actually instakill him with one.

Takedowns are considered an aug ability, so this doesn't work.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

haveblue posted:

Is this really triggered by taking everyone's credit chips and things, and doesn't happen if you don't do that? Because if that's true it's pretty awesome.

Yes. I dare say it's the new entering the women's bathroom.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Daemonite posted:

This isn't an in-game city billboard that blends into the background, it's garish and pulls you out of the game. The reason people are upset is because it's something that was added post release with no official opt-out option.

Pretty much this. I could even appreciate a company having the balls to have ads in their game unless you buy the No-Ad DLC for $10 to get rid of it, but the fact that the game already came out and then they added ads to it later is just repugnant to me. Balance patches and bugfixes aside, when people buy a product, they expect it to stay the same as it was the day they bought it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Spike McMayhem posted:

Speaking of Haas, am I nuts or is he about the only character in the whole game who actually has a full range of facial expressions? While Jensen was hosing him down with pheromones and blackmailing him, the guy actually looked shocked and outraged in turn.

Everyone else is just kinda 'what do you mean you killed my mother and poo poo in her lungs, curse you Jensen.' :goleft:

I'm absolutely in love with that shocked face he makes when Jensen says something to the effect of "Should I have given you an order? I know you're good at following those." He just looks so genuinely shocked at how much of a dick you're being, it's such a great little moment.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

How does Jensen fit three foot long blades in his forearms?

Very carefully.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

There are several occassions in Detroit where I have a pair of gangbangers sitting on sofas watching TV. One is a bunch of MCB guys in an apartment (the one in the O'Malley quest) and the other is near antenna. I don't know how to take these guys out in perfect stealth.

Perfect stealth might not happen, but if you're quick, I've had good success with crouching near one of them, zapping the further one with the stun gun, and then when his buddy stands up to react, using a takedown. Doesn't get him to hostile, just alarmed.

Also, finally platinumed this just an hour ago or so. I'd say that earns me a "Jensen is an rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about doing the job and just wants to crush skulls" playthrough.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Counterpoint; I love Sarif, and especially his use of "son".

I like how they subvert most of the roles from Deus Ex for this one. So where Manderley was a government plant running all sorts of shadow plays behind your back, Sarif is a straight-shooting businessman who just wants to make augs, and while he does make some iffy calls, they're not out of any sort of shadowy conspiracy, it's just because he loves augmentation a bit too much.

Likewise, Pritchard is basically the anti-Jacobson, constantly annoyed and not wanting to put up with your poo poo, whereas Alex was always more than willing to lend a hand. And Malik versus Jock; sunglasses wearing black-ops helicopter pilot who's seen it all versus thrillseeking adrenaline junkie who doesn't take poo poo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of Malik/Jock, what the hell. Technology what are you doing going backwards like that? Why doesn't Jock get a super fighter jet with a cloaking device, thruster muting technology, and a sleek metallic shine with awkward text-based mammary references on it? Did he, like, take a look at the futuristic one and the chopper and be like "yeah, I'll take the chopper :c00lbert:" or something?

Those black-ops helicopters are shadow-government-issue; taxpayer money won't cover fighterboobeejets. Private sector, baby!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

I was a hero, all it took was 5 sniper rounds about 20 combat rifle rounds an emp grenade and an energy bar. Thats the best one man army moment in the entire game.

I love scarfing down on all the energy bars I'm carrying, whipping on cloak, and running into the fray doing takedowns on everybody. Really nice to have a section like that where I can just unload on everybody. Shame the end of the game isn't as cathartic. Why couldn't you have gone to a killer robot factory or infiltrated a secret Illuminati kung-fu training center, Adam?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

404notfound posted:

Splinter Cell: Conviction does a good job of making you feel like an utter badass at the end: you get unlimited usage of the mark-and-execute mechanic, so you're effortlessly headshotting guys left and right .

I remember being very lukewarm toward Conviction until that point. I understand it'd totally ruin the balance of the game, but I really wished they'd included that as a cheat code for a replay so I could just run through the game like a badass. More games need a climax that just lets you utterly decimate your opponents as a way of saying "We know you busted your rear end playing the game up until now, so here, have fun".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tecman posted:

There are two ways, both in the same scene: in the first she just explodes due to the VTOL being under fire if you're trying to save her but aren't fast enough, in the second they go up to the chopper, drag her out and just execute her.

More to the point, it depends on whether you stay long enough for the chopper to explode or just hightail it for the elevator and leave her behind

• Locked thread