Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bob Morales posted:

Is Safari just pure trash now and runs YouTube like sucking poo poo through a straw or do I need up upgrade my 2017 MBP?

Google pushes VP9 now by default, and it's probably being decoded by your CPU instead of your 2017-era GPU. That's going to make for a hot-running, power-eating bad time for you, but it's less work for Google and they do not care about your experience because doing it saves them a lot of bandwidth at scale. Use a browser that supports the h264ify extension, which will force YouTube to send an h.264 stream. That will make it possible for your browser to use your GPU's dedicated decoding block for handling video. Your experience will be much nicer for it.

As for the other guy using Chrome, it's a resource-gobbling pig and Google isn't your friend. If you've got other options, use 'em.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Is Safari just pure trash now and runs YouTube like sucking poo poo through a straw or do I need up upgrade my 2017 MBP?

Ive been using Vinegar, https://andadinosaur.com/apps, on my 2015 RMP. It apparently replaces the YouTube player with a minimal HTML tag. It seems to be helping with YouTube no sucking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hasturtium posted:

Google pushes VP9 now by default, and it's probably being decoded by your CPU instead of your 2017-era GPU. That's going to make for a hot-running, power-eating bad time for you, but it's less work for Google and they do not care about your experience because doing it saves them a lot of bandwidth at scale. Use a browser that supports the h264ify extension, which will force YouTube to send an h.264 stream. That will make it possible for your browser to use your GPU's dedicated decoding block for handling video. Your experience will be much nicer for it.

As for the other guy using Chrome, it's a resource-gobbling pig and Google isn't your friend. If you've got other options, use 'em.

Loading the home page hardly works

edit: it's working fine today...

:iiam:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 28, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

anecdotally I've noticed way more poo poo being broken in safari (with adguard, maybe that's the culprit?) in the past couple of months

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I switched to MS Edge from Safari recently on the Mac. In addition to having a not-poo poo UI and uBlock Origin, Activity Monitor reports that Edge uses less memory than Safari when I have <10 tabs open.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Godzilla07 posted:

I switched to MS Edge from Safari recently on the Mac. In addition to having a not-poo poo UI and uBlock Origin, Activity Monitor reports that Edge uses less memory than Safari when I have <10 tabs open.

Edge is going pretty sharpely downhill recently though with a bunch of unecessary poo poo and some dodgy data collection

https://twitter.com/thezedwards/status/1465420945670041601

Also I'd argue that right click menu absolutely is poo poo UI

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
If I delete a steam game (uninstall it from Steve) the desktop icon is still in my application menu. Is this poo poo still on my computer and how do I get rid of it? all games are poo poo.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
it is very funny how as soon as Edge got even a microscopic bit of traction and word of mouth about not sucking huge donkey balls they immediately threw it in the shitter and went full monetization

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

styls trill epic posted:

If I delete a steam game (uninstall it from Steve) the desktop icon is still in my application menu. Is this poo poo still on my computer and how do I get rid of it? all games are poo poo.

If you haven't changed the default settings, I think everything should install in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common. Things should clear out uninstalling it via the client, but you could browse there with Finder or Terminal and remove any leftovers if there are any.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Clearly, the best Mac web browser is... Firefox! Eminently customizable, reliable, and (unlike Chrome) won't steal your pants.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are you Brave enough to use Brave in this new world we live in?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

it is very funny how as soon as Edge got even a microscopic bit of traction and word of mouth about not sucking huge donkey balls they immediately threw it in the shitter and went full monetization
Seriously, between that and the whole "Oh yeah, Windows gonna go to 11 after we said 10 was the last one!", it's like they can't loving help themselves.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Yes, let's give our money to Peter Thiel and Brendon Eich for fuckin crypto tokens lmao

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Housh posted:

Nah the crypto ads that will reactivate every update are annoying

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teppichporsche posted:

Nah the crypto ads that will reactivate every update are annoying

I've moved to Firefox myself but I used Brave for around a year with all the crypto stuff turned off and it never once did this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

101 posted:

Edge is going pretty sharpely downhill recently though with a bunch of unecessary poo poo and some dodgy data collection

Holy poo poo that’s terrible.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

styls trill epic posted:

(uninstall it from Steve)

games are stored in the pancreas

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Housh posted:

I would switch to Brave right now if it had the capability to sync my addons between machines. That's the only reason why I still use Firefox.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I just picked up the gigantic Samsung 49" ultrawide and looking for recommendations for software to manage different zones throughout the desktop. I'd prefer to be able to quickly snap apps into zones that I can define by both the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. What are the top picks to be considering for this function?

Thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

I like https://www.lightpillar.com/mosaic.html but there are a ton of options.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Violator posted:

I like https://www.lightpillar.com/mosaic.html but there are a ton of options.

Yeah, personally I use Moom but I know Better Touch Tool is a choice people like (and the free window placement only subset Better Snap Tool).

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
safari tab groups is some buggy poo poo

looking forward to it working in MacOS 17

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I just picked up the gigantic Samsung 49" ultrawide and looking for recommendations for software to manage different zones throughout the desktop. I'd prefer to be able to quickly snap apps into zones that I can define by both the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. What are the top picks to be considering for this function?

Thanks!

Hey - my favorite is bettersnaptools.

On another note; what mac are you using this monitor with & what framerate can your mac push it to at native res? I was thinking about picking this up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Weird feature becoming annoying, MacOS terminal SSH to a Ubuntu 21 (8.2.2434-3ubuntu3.1 ) and using VI. When in input mode, changing focus causes the terminal to beep and bounce about. Does not occur to VIM locally, changing TERM to "linux" eliminates the beeps. So I'm not sure which side is being awesome 🤷‍♀️

Also, VIM in Ubuntu 18 (8.0.1453-1ubuntu1.7) and CentOS 7 (7.4.629-6) do not generate the beep.

Installing VIM fixes it, 💩

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 4, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Hey - my favorite is bettersnaptools.

On another note; what mac are you using this monitor with & what framerate can your mac push it to at native res? I was thinking about picking this up.

Oh I already had BST for doing the drag to the side and have it mimic Windows, didn't realize it had the snap area function too. Awesome! Just set it up and giving it a go.

This monitor is excellent and in my opinion is the best ultrawide to get do to the curve radius. I fear that anything 'more flat' would be infuriating. It's rocking 5120x1440 and 120hz. Unfortunately it does not seem that Mac supports it going to 240, but will do it on Windows.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

For moving windows around, I recently switched to Rectangle (https://rectangleapp.com) and it seems pretty great. I’d been using Divvy for most of a decade but it hasn’t been updated in 2 years or compiled for M1 so it was time to switch. Rectangle is free and open source and actively maintained and supports ARM. It does edge snapping and has customizable keyboard shortcuts for a ton of window positions (halves, thirds, quarters, sixths). I do wish that it had a way to not make the shortcuts global though; I’d rather hit one key combination to invoke it and then a local keybind for window size/position (so instead of left half being cmd+opt+left and right half being cmd+opt+right, I’d rather press cmd+opt+space to go into “rectangles mode” then just left or right to choose the half).

TraderStav posted:

It's rocking 5120x1440 and 120hz. Unfortunately it does not seem that Mac supports it going to 240, but will do it on Windows.

I also have the G49 and 120Hz has been my experience too, plugged into a 2019 iMac.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I'm a PC guy so i'm a little out of my depth with some simple Mac stuff.

My daughter started virtual kindergarten today (ugh), and of course for Google Meet she's a little too young to be trying to move a mouse around or her finger on a trackpad. We're using a Macbook Air.

Is there a piece of software (or native way) to bind google meet shortcuts to better/easier keys? "Option+D" to unmute, and god knows what to raise hand, isn't going to cut it. I found one chrome plugin that turns the spacebar into a virtual "walkie talkie" button but when she wants to talk or show and share, she needs to fully unmute. My thinking is that I will just set up a USB numeric keypad with little icons on it, as long as i can somehow bind the keys to act as the shortcuts. Does that make sense - and if so what app/software/native function would I use to set that up?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're handy at making things then an Arduino Leonardo can emulate a keyboard so you can hook up some big buttons to mute/unmute/end call etc.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're handy at making things then an Arduino Leonardo can emulate a keyboard so you can hook up some big buttons to mute/unmute/end call etc.

I'm very handy but short on time (looking after two kids all day means i start my workday at 5pm) - if nothing else will be an option i may just buy a streamdeck mini to try.
but - that's the general intent of binding to a numpad, it should act as a mini keyboard in its own right, correct? I'm just not sure how i can bind the specific keys to google meet shortcuts

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lawen posted:

For moving windows around, I recently switched to Rectangle (https://rectangleapp.com) and it seems pretty great. I’d been using Divvy for most of a decade but it hasn’t been updated in 2 years or compiled for M1 so it was time to switch. Rectangle is free and open source and actively maintained and supports ARM. It does edge snapping and has customizable keyboard shortcuts for a ton of window positions (halves, thirds, quarters, sixths). I do wish that it had a way to not make the shortcuts global though; I’d rather hit one key combination to invoke it and then a local keybind for window size/position (so instead of left half being cmd+opt+left and right half being cmd+opt+right, I’d rather press cmd+opt+space to go into “rectangles mode” then just left or right to choose the half).

I also have the G49 and 120Hz has been my experience too, plugged into a 2019 iMac.

May have to check that one out, the BetterSnapTool is working alright. Seems like you have to drag it into a VERY specific, but not obvious spot, to snap. Kind of frustrating unless I'm missing something.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There is a whole cottage industry going to sell you one button mute\no videos.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Guitarchitect posted:

I'm very handy but short on time (looking after two kids all day means i start my workday at 5pm) - if nothing else will be an option i may just buy a streamdeck mini to try.
but - that's the general intent of binding to a numpad, it should act as a mini keyboard in its own right, correct? I'm just not sure how i can bind the specific keys to google meet shortcuts

Karabiner will let you remap keys for specific keyboards, and you can set it to do keyboard shortcuts. Assuming there's a shortcut for whatever you want, it's fairly straightforward.

TraderStav posted:

May have to check that one out, the BetterSnapTool is working alright. Seems like you have to drag it into a VERY specific, but not obvious spot, to snap. Kind of frustrating unless I'm missing something.

You should be able to set arbitrary zones to snap windows. For example you could have a zone to snap text edit to the left, and a second zone to snap it to the upper right; the zones would only show if you held a key and dragged the window and it'd snap if you stopped dragging in those zones.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it and went to check, for some reason I can't get the snapping configurator to show up in BTT. Seems like for the basic snapping it's just the corners of the screen, though?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Being able to snap windows to the corners is nice (Apple should just "steal" this feature from Windows already and just build it into the OS), but I love being able to use command + arrow keys with BTT to easily move my active window to the top/bottom/left/right area of my screen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Guitarchitect posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I'm a PC guy so i'm a little out of my depth with some simple Mac stuff.

My daughter started virtual kindergarten today (ugh), and of course for Google Meet she's a little too young to be trying to move a mouse around or her finger on a trackpad. We're using a Macbook Air.

Is there a piece of software (or native way) to bind google meet shortcuts to better/easier keys? "Option+D" to unmute, and god knows what to raise hand, isn't going to cut it. I found one chrome plugin that turns the spacebar into a virtual "walkie talkie" button but when she wants to talk or show and share, she needs to fully unmute. My thinking is that I will just set up a USB numeric keypad with little icons on it, as long as i can somehow bind the keys to act as the shortcuts. Does that make sense - and if so what app/software/native function would I use to set that up?

BetterTouchTool can set up custom keyboard shortcuts that will trigger an app's menu commands, as long as the commands are present in a menu.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Guitarchitect posted:

My daughter started virtual kindergarten today (ugh),

Very sorry she won't be getting COVID?????

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Crunchy Black posted:

Or maybe OP is at wits end trying to keep a 5yo on a laptop all day, on top of having to work all night rather than sleep?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Or maybe OP is at wits end trying to keep a 5yo on a laptop all day, on top of having to work all night rather than sleep?

^^^

The virtual medium is horrific for the learning of small children. I wish OP the best of luck and am sending good thoughts.

Terrible times indeed.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

oh yeah we've avoided COVID for nearly two years now - but as alluded to by others it's tough keeping a 4yo engaged on a laptop, for basic stuff let alone "raise your hand" and "unmute to speak" etc. after 20 minutes it's "when can i X". meanwhile we're potty training our 2.5yo, who tears apart the living room when left alone, so i'm running back and forth trying to placate him while keeping an eye on my daughter. Oh, and i'm trying to do my day job too! My wife works in healthcare so i've been the only one WFH, keeping them home for weeks- and month-long stretches at times when we were in lockdown, daycares were closed, case counts were rising, etc etc. It was relatively OK when there was no class (before she started JK), but now it's just an extra level of putting-out-fires all day long. and screaming. so much screaming. they antagonize each other allllll day.

So yeah, it's complicated. The tiniest helpful thing like a button she can hit to unmute/raise hand will be GREAT, hence my appearance here! :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wha age do you let your kids have iPads and poo poo? My son is 16 months and goes nuts if he sees a laptop and if I take my eyes off him for two seconds he digs my iPad out and tries to operate it.

I want to stick it in an otter box and show him how to use it but I don't want to totally screw him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
in the womb