Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

More context: Currently we're a Windows environment with Active Directory, MDT, all that jazz. I don't manage it - just a grunt. But we're going to start providing more support to people who want to purchase a Mac (and absolutely refuse to use Windows - these are researchers and professors, they bring in money, hard to say no). Before we just did it manually but we want to start managing these. They think they got the manage part down but gonna take a couple weeks to tweak. We're now looking at a somewhat quick way to image them - have Office installed, antivirus, etc etc. Cost doesn't really matter too much but I am coming up empty in my searches.

Investigate Intune, given that you need to manage windows and macs in an EDU environment, it's better than a full vertical choice like mosyle or jamf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

So I've got a problem with getting photos from my Macbook to sync with iCloud so that they're available on my iPhone and iPad.

Any hints on how to get the photos synced to iCloud?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

So I've got a problem with getting photos from my Macbook to sync with iCloud so that they're available on my iPhone and iPad.

Any hints on how to get the photos synced to iCloud?

Any more details? Not working at all, some photos missing, etc? iCloud syncing is turned on on all devices?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/mitchcohen/status/1570718408836108291?s=21&t=lDGnA8JSiEGrIc8f4mWyOg

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Violator posted:

Any more details? Not working at all, some photos missing, etc? iCloud syncing is turned on on all devices?

Sorry about the missing details 😔

Syncing is turned on on all devices, the photo library I imported from Google Photos into the Photos app on my Macbook is fine - everything is as it should be there.
But these photos are not synced into iCloud and so on my IPhone, I can only see the photos from an old backup - as in 150 photos out of the 2800 on my Macbook.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

aw c'mon this belongs in the hardware thread

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

aw c'mon this belongs in the hardware thread

Oops, thought this was the hardware thread. best be reposting there then.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not trying to rag on you just trying to stay on topic

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

More context: Currently we're a Windows environment with Active Directory, MDT, all that jazz. I don't manage it - just a grunt. But we're going to start providing more support to people who want to purchase a Mac (and absolutely refuse to use Windows - these are researchers and professors, they bring in money, hard to say no). Before we just did it manually but we want to start managing these. They think they got the manage part down but gonna take a couple weeks to tweak. We're now looking at a somewhat quick way to image them - have Office installed, antivirus, etc etc. Cost doesn't really matter too much but I am coming up empty in my searches.
I am in charge of about 75 employees and all have a company issued Windows computer managed by Intune and I just got our 3 Macs managed by Intune as well. Unless you need anything crazy, you might be able to do it all with what you already have with Intune.

A couple of resources you might want to check out:
Enroll your macOS device using the Company Portal app
How to add macOS line-of-business (LOB) apps to Microsoft Intune
Comprehensive guide to managing macOS with Intune
Intune macOS Shell Script Samples

Happy to chat more over PMs if you want!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This thread appears to be dead but did Safari's latest updates break tabs for anyone else?

Pull a tab out of a Safari window, it looks fine but the tab remains in the original window, grayed out. If you close the tab, it goes away AND it blanks out the tab you pulled into it's own window.

vote_no
Nov 21, 2005

The rush is on.

I do seem to now have an issue where trying to drag a tab out into a new window just deletes the tab; thatís fun!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yep thatís a thing happening to me too after updating Safari. I think I saw a macrumors thread about it too. Hope itís on appleís radar

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

This thread appears to be dead but did Safari's latest updates break tabs for anyone else?

Pull a tab out of a Safari window, it looks fine but the tab remains in the original window, grayed out. If you close the tab, it goes away AND it blanks out the tab you pulled into it's own window.

Yeah same here. Weird.

edit: the old tab has the original title (i.e. forums.somethingawful etc etc) but when you click on it it is a blank page.

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I donít have that one but dragging a tab from one window to the other just deletes it for me. I lost a somewhat time consuming form like that the other day

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There's also this weird bug when I try to re-drag the old new tab into the old window, the tab floats by itself as an object that cannot be activated, moved, or closed. It stays on top of all other windows and the URL bar of the 'new' tab on the old window cannot be activated or written in. I had to quit Safari to get rid of this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What the gently caress.

You'd think Apple has automated testing and one of the tests is TABS AREN'T BROKE

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

A while ago I was asking for apps that would let me move notification badges from the dock to the menu bar. In case anyone else is interested in that functionality, I just found this obscure github repo, which does just that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Badly Jester posted:

A while ago I was asking for apps that would let me move notification badges from the dock to the menu bar. In case anyone else is interested in that functionality, I just found this obscure github repo, which does just that.

Nice find, thanks for posting that. Might try it out and hide the dock again.

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

In the Finder sidebar I've got a Locations section and it has my OneDrives and stuff and then a couple of NASes I have in my house for now.

I have a linux server that has some samba shares that I'd also like to be in that list, but it only shows up if I click on Network and then mount one of the shares.

What dictates when a computer shows up in that list?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I think Bonjour is the only way to get something that you havenít connected to yet to show in that section. Enable Bonjour on your Linux box, and it should show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

I'm on a MacBook 14" using Monterey 12.5.1. I set my external Dell monitor to 60Hz refresh rate. The monitor goes to sleep. It wakes up again, the monitor has reset itself to variable 40-60Hz refresh rate. This is not nice so I need to manually change it back to 60Hz.

Is there a way to fix this so it stops happening? Feels like a definite bug, just wondering if there's eg some terminal command I can run that'll force this or at least that I can then make into an Alfred workflow so it changes back faster.